Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Recommendations of a fragrance for a kind but pessimistic, gloomy and melancholic woman?

Quote Originally Posted by AceyMan View Post
    Just reading the thread title the first thing that came to mind is ...

Pour Homme (1987) by Salvador Dali.

I totally can see it worn by a woman who fits that brief.

/Acey
    True, but it will probably give her super powers.
    Waiting for Hednic's 8th star

Default Re: Recommendations of a fragrance for a kind but pessimistic, gloomy and melancholic woman?

Also adding Silences by Jacomo-not overly expensive and also a complex, fascinating, slightly dark, gloomy but also luxurious powerhouse with record worthy performance

Christian Dior’s Dune is the most melancholy - yet still quite lovely - fragrance that I’ve owned. Fairly easily tested at perfume counters, but the vintage is best, and easily found on eBay at reasonable prices. A woody-amber with hints of aldehydes, benzoin, and distant wildflowers. I find it very unisex (as did my ex...he borrowed it from time to time, and it smelled amazing on him.)

On My Perfume Tray November 2019

1. Dawn Spencer Hurwitz - Gold Leaf (Heirloom Elixir No. 9)
    2. Dawn Spencer Hurwitz for American Perfumer - Aphrodisia
    4. Dawn Spencer Hurwitz - Vers Le Voute Etoilee
    4. Guerlain - Vol de Nuit extract (vintage)
    5. Edward Bess - Spanish Veil
    6. Le Labo - Gaiac 10
    7. Chanel - Coromandel
    8. Hiram Green - Shangri La
    9. L’Artisan - Mandarina Corsica
    10. Frapin - 1270

She loves her garden : voleur de rose earthy gentle garden after rainfall. Or passage d’enfer : meditative ethereal quiet
    Currently wearing: Rose de Grasse by Aerin

Kind of late to the game, but I agree with Shycat, to me L'Heure Bleue is melancholia in a bottle.

Blog Entries

Bois d'Encens by Armani Prive.

I'm late to the thread, but I've been intrigued by this thread and wanted to share. All of these scents below remind me of a woman who is independent and not afraid to be alone. She is lovely and kind to those she does engage with. She is pensive, calm, reserved, sensitive, and serious, but she knows how to delight in beauty. She personifies the phrase "still waters run deep." None of these are sweet or cloying scents. They're not loud and they're not cheerful.

Vol de Nuit by Guerlain comes to mind. To me it's a dusty, dusky scent that reminds me of old wood paneled libraries, achingly beautiful piano pieces, and rainy days. I consider it a private scent.

L'heure Bleue by Guerlain is another favorite that reminds me of the characteristics you've described. I don't love the new reformulation, which I find a little too patisserie and not as focused on the sharper anise and carnation as the previous version. Still worth checking out. I think of L'Heure Bleue as the more serious older sister of Apres l'Ondee, which I find a little too sweet and ephemeral. L'Heure Bleue is a steady rain during that "blue hour" after sunset and before full dark. Apres l'Ondee is dancing in a sun shower.

Gris Clair by Serge Lutens is actually the first one that I thought of when I read your post. Lavender, woods, iris, tonka, a touch of incense, and a metallic note that someone described as that scent of boiling water. That may sound strange, but this is the scent I go to when I'm feeling meditative.

Samsara is one of my favorites, but it does not at all evoke for me the kind of image you describe. To me it's loud, sensuous, and seductive. Wear it for a night of stiletto heels, crimson velvet, and deep purple silk. The new reformulation in the bee bottle is a thin shadow of the previous version, but it is also lovely in its own right and may actually be closer to what you're looking for. The new formulation I find is lighter, the jasmine more pronounced and delicate (I'd even say pretty) and the sandalwood isn't as thick. Instead of heavy purple flowers, I get a lot more white flowers. The sandalwood used to be downright viscous, but now it's more like a dry, heavy smoke.