Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Recommendations of a fragrance for a kind but pessimistic, gloomy and melancholic woman?

this woman doesn't talk for talking's sake. She doesn't speak unless she has something to say. She reads a lot. She will sleep until 10 am but longer if it is raining outside.
    She will sweep the leaves in the yard, with slow pensive strokes, as if meditating. She loves nature, flowers, plants and notices even the tiniest new bud or shoot in the garden. She loves cats, speaks to them all the time, seems to understand them. She thinks too much, doesn't like shallow or flippant things. Hates dance music and will only tolerate techno for an hour so, as long as it is something gentle, like ambient Aphex Twin. In general she prefers classical music, especially Bach. She practices piano for an hour every day, without fail.

Is there a fragrance out there which could live with this woman, possibly a comforting cloak for her melancholy, but nothing something shallow and bright and noisy that will clash up against it ? A fragrance that could harmonize with her melancholy and not tell keep telling her to "cheer up" ? Something Gothic, dark, but fragile, poetic and sensitive?

I was thinking of something along the lines of a Guerlain "Instant" but for women? But there again, L'Instant could easily be worn by a woman, couldn't it?

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Recommendations of a fragrance for a kind but pessimistic, gloomy and melancholic woman?

Guerlain L'Heure Bleue. I was going to just go with all my favorites until you hit the bit about "hates dance music" then we parted ways.
    A bull in a china shop doesn't take damage. She delivers it. It's The Great Shy Purge of 2019.
    Currently wearing: Patchouli by Jalaine

Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: Recommendations of a fragrance for a kind but pessimistic, gloomy and melancholic woman?

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
    Guerlain L'Heure Bleue. I was going to just go with all my favorites until you hit the bit about "hates dance music" then we parted ways.
    I probably should have said "pop music" especially Russian pop music. Interesting reviews, just been reading , thank you. Maybe a bit sweet for her. Not sure she would go for the baby powder note. She's not maternal, except with cats.

in civet est veritas

Just reading the thread title the first thing that came to mind is ...

Pour Homme (1987) by Salvador Dali.

I totally can see it worn by a woman who fits that brief.

/Acey
    Last edited by AceyMan; 28th July 2019 at 05:06 AM. Reason: spelling

I as also thinking Guerlain, apres l’ondee more so than heure Bleue. A beautiful quit iris.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by AceyMan View Post

/Acey
    It seems you have struck a thick vein of gold with this, thank you.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I as also thinking Guerlain, apres l’ondee more so than heure Bleue. A beautiful quit iris.
    We seem to be now veering towards the Satanic.

Basenotes Plus

Everything in your description of her inclines me to suggest Chanel Sycomore.

I know someone a bit like the person you describe and she wears:
    Tauer's l'Oudh
    Cedarwood essential oil (diluted in almond oil)
    Amouage Opus III

There's no guarantee these would work, but thought I'd mention them.
    At worst, one is in motion; and at best,
    Reaching no absolute, in which to rest,
    One is always nearer by not keeping still.
    Thom Gunn 'On the Move'

Blog Entries

Apres L'Ondee is a great suggestion. l'm baffled as to why this would strike you as satanic.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Lolita Lempicka or Cacharel Eden maybe.
    The LL has a wistful ivy note with liquorice that I find quite melancholy.
    The Cacharel is like a dark, damp forest.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur by Boucheron

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Apres L'Ondee is a great suggestion. l'm baffled as to why this would strike you as satanic.
    I agree, especially if you can get the older version which has more of the Guerlainade base with the iris.
    DONNA

Maybe Frederic Malle's Iris Poudre?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AceyMan View Post

/Acey
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kilroy View Post
    It seems you have struck a thick vein of gold with this, thank you.
    It's dark and gloomy, but quite loud. A ton of patchouli in there as well. I like it a lot but it's not for the person you describe.

Basenotes Junkie

sorry, that read wrong. I meant " Our tastes seem to be veering towards the satanic", not your suggestion of Apres l'Ondee.

I'm not being entirely serious when I say Satanic. I don't mean Adam's Family or Sacrificial rituals , it was more based on the reviews I read in here about Dali Pour Homme

and how we want to be a bit daring and move out of the comfort zone of familiar fragrances...it sounds fascinating..as does the Apres l'Ondee..

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    It's dark and gloomy, but quite loud. A ton of patchouli in there as well. I like it a lot but it's not for the person you describe.
    I'm interested why you say the last point . Does this imply that the "dark and gloomy" of Dali does not mean introverted also. ? Are you saying that Dali is not for a shy or introverted person? If so, I understand your point. I think.

Ah...you said "loud". Hmmm...in that case, I totally agree.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I have just returned from reading the reviews on this, and am captivated, not just for Maria, but also possibly for myself. I am drawn to this.

Do you mean the parfum or EDT ? I can't find any US distributors for the EDT.

Sycomore edt is discontinued, only edp available now.

My recommendations are Iris Silver Mist or Dzongkha.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kilroy View Post
    I'm interested why you say the last point . Does this imply that the "dark and gloomy" of Dali does not mean introverted also. ? Are you saying that Dali is not for a shy or introverted person? If so, I understand your point. I think.

Ah...you said "loud". Hmmm...in that case, I totally agree.
    I would go with a floral, something captivating and light. Since I have zero expertise there I'll defer to others. If you know what kind of flowers she likes best that would help.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    Sycomore edt is discontinued, only edp available now.

My recommendations are Iris Silver Mist or Dzongkha.
    Ouch. I am punching above my weight here.

Will look into those, thank you.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    I would go with a floral, something captivating and light. Since I have zero expertise there I'll defer to others. If you know what kind of flowers she likes best that would help.
    yes, I started another thread about that somewhere. Jasmine...she says she likes it, but funnily enough she likes masculines. Her mother is a clothing designer who liked to wear Brut and Kouros. Not your average Joe's, at all.

Basenotes Junkie

Sycomore, while amazing, is for now out of my price range in EDP. Apres l'Ondee is captivating my attention...

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by gimmegreen View Post
    I know someone a bit like the person you describe and she wears:
    Tauer's l'Oudh
    Cedarwood essential oil (diluted in almond oil)
    Amouage Opus III

There's no guarantee these would work, but thought I'd mention them.
    Off to explore the stories of these. thank you

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    Lolita Lempicka or Cacharel Eden maybe.
    The LL has a wistful ivy note with liquorice that I find quite melancholy.
    The Cacharel is like a dark, damp forest.
    Heard the LL described as 'Gothic'. Tempting ,,,,

Basenotes Junkie

I hope you saw my explanation above. ? I expressed myself badly.

I was on the verge of being swayed by this, after diving into the reviews, but then was "unswayed" by the technical historical review of Zealot Crusader, whose review implies that this once ground-breaking scent has become so ubiquituous and copied that it has become generic and boring, and that only those interested in the "history of perfume" would be tempted by it, using such words as "dainty" and that a modern woman wouldn't appreciate that etc. That's the last thing Maria would like. Also says that the idea of "melancholy" is more like what Victorians would have considered 'melancholy' and again, that this has been imitated so much that it no longer applies.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I read in the reviews here that the EDT is still In Production. Do you know of a supplier in the USA ?

I'm an introvert too, and my favorite moody jasmines are Sarrasins (might be too expensive for a bell jar but decants are available), Jasmin et Cigarette, and Jasmin de Nuit. None of them say "cheer up" to me.
    It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.--Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.

+1 Iris Silver Mist

In general, iris as a note strikes me as a good fit. Quiet and very dignified. Also, look into the following:

Bois d'Iris or Bois d'Argent (they're very similar)
    Chanel No.19 Poudre

Don't remember what they smell like (will try tomorrow) but you could also go for:

La Pausa
    31 Rue Cmbon

Bvlgari Eau Parfumee au The Noir

Lean in closer, dear

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maksidrom View Post
    Bvlgari Eau Parfumee au The Noir
    Ha! I just came here to suggest any of the Bulgari tea scents. They smell unemotional to me. Eau Thé Blanc came to mind first.

Stella Rose Absolute also occurred to me. The bottle even looks dark and stand-offish.
    I don't want to. I don't have to. You can't make me. I'M RETIRED.