Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Formulation for Lauren was changed, 5 years ago. Looking for frangrance that smells like original.

Hello,

I'm 53 and back in high school, it seemed almost all the girls wore Lauren. Being 16/17, it was hard for me to afford even the small spray tube of Lauren, but I did! I loved that stuff! It smelled so good.

Fast forward to about 5 years ago. I bought some and immediately noticed something: The smell did not stay with me. As a matter of fact, it was so bad, I would have to spray about 10 squirts, for it to last maybe 3 minutes. I am not joking! And I remember so well, the old Lauren, would only take two squirts and you were good to go, the entire day. The fragrance stayed with you.

I'm a digger, so I contacted Ralph Lauren. I asked if the formulation had changed. Sure enough, they confirmed my worst fears. It had, indeed, changed. That was a huge letdown. Even for those people who may never have used the original Lauren, if they used the new formulated Lauren, they would see, the fragrance does not stay with you. At all! Additionally, I found that I wasn't the only one who noticed this change from the original. There were so many comments I found online, about people noticing the smell did not stay with you anymore. Many folks were really disappointed in this unfortunate change. Why mess up something that was so good!? There are many other perfumes on the market, who have been around for decades, and the formulations for those, have not changed a bit. I wear Sand & Sable and wore that, when I was 15/16. Today, it smells exactly like it did back then. Wonderful. I even contacted the company who owns S&S and asked (just to overkill) if their formulation for this perfume had changed. They told me no. So see, a lot of perfume makers know when they have a good thing, and not to mess it up.

And while original Lauren can be bought on ebay, it's incredibly expensive and usually, already used. It's not the I don't trust the seller, it's just a matter of them asking an arm and a leg.

My question is, for anyone who did enjoy the original Lauren, do you know of any other perfume that smells just like it, or extremely close to it?

Thanks so much for reading this!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Formulation for Lauren was changed, 5 years ago. Looking for frangrance that smells like origin

Welcome to you Lamborghinigal! Enjoy your time here at Basenotes!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: Formulation for Lauren was changed, 5 years ago. Looking for frangrance that smells like origin

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Welcome to you Lamborghinigal! Enjoy your time here at Basenotes!
    Thank you so much! I appreciate the warm welcome. :-)

Beth

Quote Originally Posted by Lamborghinigal View Post
    Hello,

I'm 53 and back in high school, it seemed almost all the girls wore Lauren. Being 16/17, it was hard for me to afford even the small spray tube of Lauren, but I did! I loved that stuff! It smelled so good.

Fast forward to about 5 years ago. I bought some and immediately noticed something: The smell did not stay with me. As a matter of fact, it was so bad, I would have to spray about 10 squirts, for it to last maybe 3 minutes. I am not joking! And I remember so well, the old Lauren, would only take two squirts and you were good to go, the entire day. The fragrance stayed with you.

I'm a digger, so I contacted Ralph Lauren. I asked if the formulation had changed. Sure enough, they confirmed my worst fears. It had, indeed, changed. That was a huge letdown. Even for those people who may never have used the original Lauren, if they used the new formulated Lauren, they would see, the fragrance does not stay with you. At all! Additionally, I found that I wasn't the only one who noticed this change from the original. There were so many comments I found online, about people noticing the smell did not stay with you anymore. Many folks were really disappointed in this unfortunate change. Why mess up something that was so good!? There are many other perfumes on the market, who have been around for decades, and the formulations for those, have not changed a bit. I wear Sand & Sable and wore that, when I was 15/16. Today, it smells exactly like it did back then. Wonderful. I even contacted the company who owns S&S and asked (just to overkill) if their formulation for this perfume had changed. They told me no. So see, a lot of perfume makers know when they have a good thing, and not to mess it up.

And while original Lauren can be bought on ebay, it's incredibly expensive and usually, already used. It's not the I don't trust the seller, it's just a matter of them asking an arm and a leg.

My question is, for anyone who did enjoy the original Lauren, do you know of any other perfume that smells just like it, or extremely close to it?

Thanks so much for reading this!
    Welcome Beth.
    I am sorry to inform you that to my knowledge there is nothing like the vintage one.

Basenotes Member

Welcome Lamborghinigal ! I too am a vintage Lauren fan -- still have my 'original formula' bottle and also a newer reformulated one as well.

The new formula is definitely missing those sultry, darker notes that used to be there, one of which is anise-like rose/peony to my nose. Now it's a sweeter, generic, fresh floral + a bit soapy. Totally lacks the depth of the former -- most likely due to IFRA restrictions on certain ingredients.

I don't know of a perfume that smells exactly like the original Lauren -- but you might like Jo Malone's Peony & Blush Suede. It has some depth and staying power, and I like it just as much as the original Lauren. Same vein as Lauren but different -- if that makes any sense.

Careful when hunting for the vintage formula, too. There are entire threads here devoted to men's fragrance labels on Ralph Lauren bottles & boxes (Polo esp), but not a ton about Lauren. It used to be so ubiquitous, you'd think ebay would be drowning in vintage, but I suppose everyone used theirs up...

That's ok. Thank you for replying. :-)

Thanks Dana! I will check out the perfume you suggested. And what is IFRA restrictions? Sorry, I don't know what that is. Thanks. :-)

I hate it. I really wish they had not changed this, but they did. :-( Thank you for your comments!

Basenotes Member

IFRA is the International Fragrance Association.

From their site:
    The IFRA Code of Practice is the global fragrance industry's commitment to providing products that are safe for consumers and respect the environment.The Code applies to all IFRA members, whether they are Regular Members or Members of National Associations. This covers approximately 90 per cent of the global fragrance industry by production volume.

The Code covers the manufacture and handling of all fragrance materials, for all types of applications. The majority of client companies (including producers of fine fragrance, personal care products and household products) expect their fragrances to comply with IFRA Standards as set out in the Code.

This self-regulatory system sets rules for the use of nearly 200 fragrance materials, including:

bans on the use of some materials (Prohibition);
    rules on the quantities or maximum dose to be used or the products in which certain materials can be used (Restriction); or
    other conditions on the type of material (Specification).

What this means is that certain materials (ingredients) that were used many years ago to create Chanel # 5 and Lauren for example, are now considered allergens or potential allergens etc., and thus their use is either banned or restricted (percentage wise) for perfumes....so, the original formulas of many of these older perfumes are no longer considered safe by the IFRA = reformulation of these perfumes so that they do adhere to IFRA standards = the new versions do not smell as fantastic or exactly the same as the originals.

You can find loads of articles about all this online should you be curious as to the issues facing modern perfumers.