Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Yatagan or Gucci Guilty Absolute Pour Homme EDP ?

From what I read, these two share some qualities and similar adjectives: outdoor, leather, masculine...etc.

Do you know both or either? Which one do you prefer, if either ? Which one might be safer for a blind buy ?

I love the outdoors, consider myself to be masculine though that does not mean I don't have a feminine side.

I love making fires, the smell of smoke, we have mules and I love the smell of horses and mules and saddles...

Joe.

Default Re: Yatagan or Gucci Guilty Absolute Pour Homme EDP ?

These are fairly different. Given what you say you move in your post, I'd recommend the Gucci.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, L'Erbolario Méharées, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, West Third Brand Amérique

Basenotes Plus

Yatagan is more pine-y as in the woods to me and the Gucci more woody as in wood not the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kilroy View Post

I love making fires, the smell of smoke, we have mules and I love the smell of horses and mules and saddles...
    Yatagan
    I remember someones description on BN or other website "like chopping wood, whilst dressed in a tux"!!

Very different fragrances. Gucci is pretty simple from what I remember and very chemically harsh, almost as a sort of rebellion against the super sweet, diffusive woody ambers that are popular. I get a lot of rubbing alcohol in the smell, as well as norlimbanol.

Yatagan still uses a lot of real oakmoss, and has an outdoorsy woodsy vibe with lots of pine, castoreum, artemesia, and patchouli.

Basenotes Junkie

Erm. wow. These comments help a lot.
    Just out of interest, how does old Yatagan get to keep his Oakmoss when all around are losing theirs ?

{must say, so far ...I'm leaning to the Caron}

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    These are fairly different. Given what you say you move in your post, I'd recommend the Gucci.
    Agree. For what it’s worth, I personally prefer the Gucci. The leather/galbanum/pine in Yatagan, like Aramis Devin, is to my nose a very dense “cut grass” smell. Not a fresh cut grass smell, but like smelling a wet clump of grass pulled from underneath a mower. Even that description doesn’t do it justice, as it doesn’t really smell like anything “natural” (as in, of nature) to me. Before trying it, I read reviews saying things like “pine forest” and “wet earth” and the like, and was surprised as how UNlike it smelled of any forest I’ve ever been in.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Which one do you prefer?
    Yatagan
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by NettyYeti View Post
    Agree. For what it’s worth, I personally prefer the Gucci. The leather/galbanum/pine in Yatagan, like Aramis Devin, is to my nose a very dense “cut grass” smell. Not a fresh cut grass smell, but like smelling a wet clump of grass pulled from underneath a mower. Even that description doesn’t do it justice, as it doesn’t really smell like anything “natural” (as in, of nature) to me. Before trying it, I read reviews saying things like “pine forest” and “wet earth” and the like, and was surprised as how UNlike it smelled of any forest I’ve ever been in.
    Yeah, Yatagan kinda smells like its own thing.

If the OP wants smoke/fire/wood, Gucci Guilty Absolute is the way to go. Not that I think it's particularly "natural" either. (If you want a more natural-smelling version of "smoky woods," Jacomo de Jacomo is the winner.)

But both of these are polarizing fragrances. I wouldn't recommend a blind-buy on either count.

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, L'Erbolario Méharées, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, West Third Brand Amérique

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by NettyYeti View Post
    made me laugh.

Basenotes Junkie

If the OP wants smoke/fire/wood, Gucci Guilty Absolute is the way to go. Not that I think it's particularly "natural" either. (If you want a more natural-smelling version of "smoky woods," Jacomo de Jacomo is the winner.)

But both of these are polarizing fragrances. I wouldn't recommend a blind-buy on either count.
    off to read about Jacomo. Thanks again.

Basenotes Junkie

Do you get any sultry patchouli in the Jacomo drydown ?

Do you get any sultry patchouli in the Jacomo drydown ?
    There's plenty of patchouli in Jacomo.

Autumn Favorites

Basenotes Junkie

There's plenty of patchouli in Jacomo.
    Ahh. So Jacomo wasn't one of the ones you meant when you said about not blind-buying ?

Ahh. So Jacomo wasn't one of the ones you meant when you said about not blind-buying ?
    Well, Jacomo isn't "safe," but it's no more polarizing than the other two fragrances mentioned in this thread!

Autumn Favorites

They shouldn't be mentioned in the thread.

Yatagan.

Just out of interest, how does old Yatagan get to keep his Oakmoss when all around are losing theirs ?
    It's an interesting question, and not one that I have the best answer for. Oakmoss isn't banned per say, just heavily restricted. I think that companies pull oakmoss entirely from some newer formulations if they feel that synthetics such as evernyl can replace it, or if the small amounts of oakmoss which are still allowed aren't satisfactory to maintaining the character of the fragrance. Therefore you'll see a lot of older fragrances that are still in production still list oakmoss in their ingredients, as the overall feeling of the fragrance wouldn't be the same if it was modernized with the new woody-amber chemicals. That's just my understanding and I'm sure it goes a lot more in depth than that.

Basenotes Junkie

Well, Jacomo isn't "safe," but it's no more polarizing than the other two fragrances mentioned in this thread!

Yes, but the problem is that "safe" probably often means bland and pleasing everyone, therefore not so interesting?

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Jack103 View Post
    It's an interesting question, and not one that I have the best answer for. Oakmoss isn't banned per say, just heavily restricted. I think that companies pull oakmoss entirely from some newer formulations if they feel that synthetics such as evernyl can replace it, or if the small amounts of oakmoss which are still allowed aren't satisfactory to maintaining the character of the fragrance. Therefore you'll see a lot of older fragrances that are still in production still list oakmoss in their ingredients, as the overall feeling of the fragrance wouldn't be the same if it was modernized with the new woody-amber chemicals. That's just my understanding and I'm sure it goes a lot more in depth than that.
    good answer. I'm still trying to find out what happened to my lovely old Pierre Cardin PM. I don't know if it was the oakmoss which went, or some kind of animal hormone,,,

Basenotes Junkie

Brooks, are there any "safe" scents? The reviews in here are never unanimous.

Brooks, are there any "safe" scents? The reviews in here are never unanimous.
    Sure.

But Jacomo is, um, a statement-maker. It's loud.

Autumn Favorites

Freed from BN Institution

Yatagan of the two
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

a quarter million, tops

Yatagan. I feel like is generally a pleasant smelling fragrance to most, while gga is a bit more polarizing. Both rock.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Own both. Can more easily wear Gucci Guilty Absolute than Yatagan. I prefer GGA's chewy leather dry-down.
    Currently wearing: Ambergreen by Oliver & Co.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Yatagan. It's not close.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Yatagan. It's not close.
    Yatagan is certainly the more classic option here and classic perfume construction is generally more complex and impressive than modern fragrances (contemporary styles lean towards linearity and quasi-minimalism), but there's something about Yatagan I find a bit off-putting and I haven't felt like taking the time to figure out what that is. A review on Fragrantica calls it the "Aramis of the East," which strikes me as a fair description.

Gucci Guilty Absolute is, in my estimation, a really clever piece of work in the realm of contemporary fragrance aesthetics. But anyone with a sensitivity to transparently synthetic fragrances will likely find it repellent. I probably wouldn't own it, but I admire it from afar; it's distinctive and fascinating.

Autumn Favorites

Basenotes Junkie

Yatagan is certainly the more classic option here and classic perfume construction is generally more complex and impressive than modern fragrances (contemporary styles lean towards linearity and quasi-minimalism), but there's something about Yatagan I find a bit off-putting and I haven't felt like taking the time to figure out what that is. A review on Fragrantica calls it the "Aramis of the East," which strikes me as a fair description.

Gucci Guilty Absolute is, in my estimation, a really clever piece of work in the realm of contemporary fragrance aesthetics. But anyone with a sensitivity to transparently synthetic fragrances will likely find it repellent. I probably wouldn't own it, but I admire it from afar; it's distinctive and fascinating.

very evocative. Original Aramis was one of my first regular fragrances. I am generally averse to synthetic but will obtain a tester.
    I don't think I will be blind-buying either of these now but will try both. It's interesting to hear what people who know them are saying.

If you like the original Aramis, there's a good chance you'll like Yatagan. I love the house of Aramis, but its original release is a bit challenging to me and I'm content to admire it from afar rather than to actually wear it.

Autumn Favorites

Own, love and wear all three : Yatagan, GGA, and Jacomo de Jacomo. None of these are a 'safe' blind buy, but they are not as fearsome as reviews might suggest.

Yatagan to me smells exactly like walking in the broad-leaved woodland/wetland around the loch. Green and bitter (plenty of galbanum and artemisia), mossy, vegetal, leafy as much as woody. I mostly wear it in casual situations, though it's OK with a suit or in the office.

GGA means business (to me). I wear it more in town. Also on Mondays. Woody, cypress foliage, leathery, patchouli but not hippie-ish.

Jacomo de Jacomo : glorious goth fougere, clove and galbanum freshens it up, smoky, aromatic, dark, leathery.
    October rotation : Knize Ten, Gomma, Yatagan, Gucci Guilty Absolute, Tuscany, Elixir, Avignon.
    October samples : finishing Hermes Bel Ami, Bel Ami Vetiver, Lalique Encre Noire a l'Extreme. Sampling TF Ombre Leather, ELdO Je Suis un Homme, Eloge du Traitre, Odin 07 Tanoke.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by incense+heliotrope View Post
    Own, love and wear all three : Yatagan, GGA, and Jacomo de Jacomo. None of these are a 'safe' blind buy, but they are not as fearsome as reviews might suggest.

Yatagan to me smells exactly like walking in the broad-leaved woodland/wetland around the loch. Green and bitter (plenty of galbanum and artemisia), mossy, vegetal, leafy as much as woody. I mostly wear it in casual situations, though it's OK with a suit or in the office.

GGA means business (to me). I wear it more in town. Also on Mondays. Woody, cypress foliage, leathery, patchouli but not hippie-ish.

Jacomo de Jacomo : glorious goth fougere, clove and galbanum freshens it up, smoky, aromatic, dark, leathery.
    Same here. Own all three.

Yatagan I would split from vintage Yatagan, which is dense and does remind me somewhat of a forest, but more of a forest floor, it has a wet soil earthiness to it that is absent in the current version, which is lighter and much easier to wear than the original versions.

Gucci Guilty Absolute is just a rough woody/leather/patchouli that really doesn't give a damn what other people think. Completely contrary to the synthetic gooey sweetness of current men's mall scents. Almost completely linear too. It does just one thing but does it well, and that's it.

Jacomo I wear this one the least of the three, as it's bone dry, and has quite a bit of clove in it. I have to be in the right mood for clove. Vintage only with this one.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella