Code of Conduct
o

Cool Ernest Hemingway Signature

https://hemingwayaccoutrements.com/p...parfum-cologne

Anyone know anything about this? I keep getting ads on my Google home page and Facebook feed for this stuff. Didn't know if it's something legit, or one of those shitty retail scams with shoddy, poorly made, wrong sized nonsense.
    I was ignoring it at first but the ads just kept coming and haven't gone away, so wondered if anyone has any experience with it.

Hemingway_EDP_cologne_website_6f368bb5-ab98-4e4e-9ad4-f041c59fed1e.jpg
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Default Re: Ernest Hemingway Signature

Never seen it before. At over $1/ml, it's posturing as a high-end release.

Notes list is all MANLY MAN clichés, but I actually quite enjoy those kinds of notes so it would really depend on the skill with which it was made, and I see no reason to make the leap of faith.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Never seen it before. At over $1/ml, it's posturing as a high-end release.

Notes list is all MANLY MAN clichés, but I actually quite enjoy those kinds of notes so it would really depend on the skill with which it was made, and I see no reason to make the leap of faith.
    Agree. So many online pop up shops that claim to be high end. I don't really buy it. But who know, could be something. I'm waiting to see if they're still around in another year or two.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Have never seen this one before either.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I need to know more about this rich full grain leather note. Is it soft Corinthian leather?

I kid, I kid. Sounds like a standard issue tobacco woody amber type thing with Hemingway's name slapped on it, but who knows, could be good.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

1.7 oz. for $69....without any way to test it? How do they stay in bizniss? Even if it's good or great stuff, they could at least offer a larger size as well as a smaller sample size.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Everyone wants a piece of that TechBro cash, and apparently they're suckers for these kinds of Conquest/Macho/Alpha/Traditionalism tropes. Just ask Creed and Parfums de Marly about that. Although as an aside, most of my tech friends blow their cash on cars or gaming rigs and completely ignore stuff like watches, fragrance, or fancy duds, so I lucked out I guess. They think I'm crazy for needing a curio to hold my perfume.

Still, it might be good, or might end up at Ross in a year for $15 when the house closes. This "middle niche" market is already too crowded, and author Ernest Hemingway isn't going to resonate with Joe Audi in the same way as tales of French aristocracy or rare naturals sourced from the furthest reaches of the world, so there's that too.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Tai Winds by Avon

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Everyone wants a piece of that TechBro cash, and apparently they're suckers for these kinds of Conquest/Macho/Alpha/Traditionalism tropes. Just ask Creed and Parfums de Marly about that. Although as an aside, most of my tech friends blow their cash on cars or gaming rigs and completely ignore stuff like watches, fragrance, or fancy duds, so I lucked out I guess. They think I'm crazy for needing a curio to hold my perfume.

Still, it might be good, or might end up at Ross in a year for $15 when the house closes. This "middle niche" market is already too crowded, and author Ernest Hemingway isn't going to resonate with Joe Audi in the same way as tales of French aristocracy or rare naturals sourced from the furthest reaches of the world, so there's that too.
    The tech guys tend to ignore deodorant as well, haha.
    Yeah, I think oversaturation is going to kill this attempt. They may be small enough to try to make some money quick, then disappear, then re-appear with the same juice but with new packaging and make another small pile of cash. Rinse and repeat.

Thanks for this--very interesting.
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics

I shot them an email and asked for a sample.

Basenotes Plus

It is a legit company.

Hemingway, Ltd. is a corporation owned by the estate and family of Ernest Hemingway. Fashion Licensing of America, Inc., is the exclusive agent for Hemingway, Ltd.

You too ccould become a licensee of the name. According to a bar owner (Hemingway's Bar) who received a cease and desist letter, it would cost him several thousand dollars per year to use the trademarked author's name. He chose to rename the bar.

https://www.ernesthemingwaycollectio...ntact/licensee

Click on the products section of the website and you will see everything from fragrances to mattresses.

They replied back to me. They offer a $25 sample pack that includes the parfum, bearl oil, shave cream and a few other things. They emailed me a $5 off coupon as well. I may try it out. Haven't decided yet.

ERNEST HEMINGWAY SIGNATURE COLLECTION EAU DE PARFUM

From the website:

Each satisfying inhale calms the soul with it's rich, deep and sophisticated blend that opens with a surprising yet satisfying aroma of citrus (grapefruit). Very much like the citrus notes of the Daiquiri named after Ernest Hemingway himself.

While the grapefruit note lightly persists throughout it generously gives way to a complex fusion of deep bourbon, classic cedar wood, and rich full grain leather.

Underlying that richness, you'll enjoy the warmth of honey-like amber, smooth sandalwood, fine tobacco, and Madagascar vanilla.

As you savor each whiff, you can't help to think that this must have been the aroma that permeated the atmosphere of Papa’s Havana home.

MY IMPRESSIONS

If you are looking for a hyper-masculine Papa Hemingway wearing a leather jacket and smoking a cigar, keep looking. The most surprising thing about Hemingway Signature is how it's mostly unisex and seductive. It opens with lots of grapefruit like Terre d'Hermes. Then comes a boatload of amber, which reminded me of Calvin Klein Obsession. Personally, I always find amber feminine because it's so prominent in many women's fragrances. The suede leather sits in the background. I don't smell any tobacco. Vanilla is just part of the mix -- I was hoping for a strong spicy vanilla basenote.

Hemingway Signature is a pleasant, happy scent. If the real Hemingway wore any fragrance it would probably have been Bay Rum. I recall one of his wives saying that she just wished he would bathe more frequently. This is a Jimmy Buffett party scent rather than actual old Havana. It's marketed for men, but would work as well or better for women.

Available from Hemingway Accoutrements.
    Last edited by MysteryBuff40; 23rd November 2019 at 11:48 PM.
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

So, a predictable crowd pleaser? Figures.