Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grand soir

Default Grand soir

Went to saks today excited to buy my second bottle of Grand Soir. To date, royal oud, layton , aventus and grand soir are the only bottles I've actually finished and happily repurchased.

Get home put it on, and the scent appears to be a she of its former self. Very thin, lacks the depth and could barely detect it 2-3hrs later. Overall the scent is not the same. Code on box is 18095A.

Considering taking this back tomorrow because I'm clearly not pleased with this, but not sure if it's truly been refomulated and if so, when did this occor and what year formulation should I attempt to track down.

Hands down my signatures scent over the past year and pretty frustrated. Hoping maybe it's just this batch and 2019 are still the same

Default Re: Grand soir

Quick update found the box from my last bottle and it has the same code, 18095A, but im 100% certain this does not smell the same...very

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but this has indeed been messed with and not in a good way.

I had sampled it several times from a BN member with an original bottle. By the time I decided I wanted it, i was very luck to find a bottle on eBay (literally by accident) in the original formulation. The juice is notably darker in the original and much paler in the newest formulation. Have no idea why MFK would want to water this one down barely 3 years after releasing it.

I haven't got my bottle with me right now but can double check to see if there is a batch code on the bottle (sadly mine did not come with a box) and can get back to you.

Thanks for the reply and validating there's been a change. It's confusing that both bottles have the same code on the box, yet smell completely different. I beleive what I'm referencing is MKF's batch number, as it's only listed on the box and not the bottle.

Can anyone confirm that is the the code i should be referencing?b

I believe there is only one code to be found so you have it right.
    If the batch number is the same the contents ought to be the same otherwise why have batch numbers?
    All my MFK scents have batch codes on the box but only some have it on the bottle. The bottles in my collection are coded for 2012 and 2016 but not 2015. Even the travel sizes are coded. I have nothing more recent. The codes I have are five numbers only, no other character.
    With no code on the bottle it opens the door to a bottle being substituted at some point. A new consideration when buying MFK as they take no steps to tamper proof their products... I am going to drop by my local retailer in a day or two and sample the newer version and add further comment.
    Hopefully you can return your purchase and find a bottle from the earlier batches.
    Here is a good batch number (16116):
    IMG_0714.jpg
    Currently wearing: Figment Man by Amouage

Thanks for the reply. Everything on this box lines up with my last bottle, so it appears to be the same batch, yet very different in scent, longevity and overall depth.

Going to saks to return it today as i am in south fl for business travel and do not have a saks near me.

Maybe i just got a bad/spoiled bottle...?

I wonder if that's the batch code or another code. Mine is 18249, but can't really compare to an older batch.

Went to saks, returned the fragrances with no issues, which is to be expected. They are not aware of any reformation and they brought out different bottles from various months in 2019, and they agreed they noticed a difference as well. The brand rep stated they do not do batch number, but she had her inventory organized by delivery date and the bottle from February was slightly better than the one I bought. I ended up going with that, but still does not appear to be as strong and smell as rich as my first bottle which i purchased in 2018. It was refreshing to see the brand rep acknowledge my concerns and agree that there was in fact a difference. Great customer service.

They hysteria on reformulations are astounding… on what basis is this reform formed on other than your sense of smell?
    #wackpack

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by persianprince View Post
    Went to saks, returned the fragrances with no issues
    Glad to hear it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

That is sad news. If you love something you really have to buy a second bottle immediately, the reformulations come so fast now.

Interesting. I ordered a sample from MFK late 2018 and then purchased a bottle on a reputable Amazon seller. Bottle is identical to the sample and GS remains one of the strongest, sometimes overwhelming frag in my collection.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Peckerhead View Post
    They hysteria on reformulations are astounding… on what basis is this reform formed on other than your sense of smell?
    You're right, I don't have any documentation or proof it's actually been reformulated and neither does the brand rep. That being said, I think you'd agree that if one has gone through multiple bottles of a scent and is the closest thing to a my signature scent that I have a good reference point as to what it should smell like. This was not only my opinion, the brand rep noticed differences in each bottle we sampled, the most noticeably in the July 2019 bottle.

Maybe nothing has changed with the formulation, but something is different with 2019 bottles I've sampled.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news but this has indeed been messed with and not in a good way.

I had sampled it several times from a BN member with an original bottle. By the time I decided I wanted it, i was very luck to find a bottle on eBay (literally by accident) in the original formulation. The juice is notably darker in the original and much paler in the newest formulation. Have no idea why MFK would want to water this one down barely 3 years after releasing it.

I haven't got my bottle with me right now but can double check to see if there is a batch code on the bottle (sadly mine did not come with a box) and can get back to you.
    I testify totally to this. Either it has been reformualted or the batch is not a good one. Wish I had purchased a full bottle or two when it was first released now.

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

Went to saks today excited to buy my second bottle of Grand Soir. To date, royal oud, layton , aventus and grand soir are the only bottles I've actually finished and happily repurchased.

Get home put it on, and the scent appears to be a she of its former self. Very thin, lacks the depth and could barely detect it 2-3hrs later. Overall the scent is not the same. Code on box is 18095A.

Considering taking this back tomorrow because I'm clearly not pleased with this, but not sure if it's truly been refomulated and if so, when did this occor and what year formulation should I attempt to track down.

Hands down my signatures scent over the past year and pretty frustrated. Hoping maybe it's just this batch and 2019 are still the same
    It's still very good but not as long lasting and has lost a bit of It's depth/opulence.
    All Time Favorites
    Kouros - YSL
    Vintage Fahrenheit - Dior
    Fahrenheit Parfum - Dior
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Patchouli Nobile - Nobile 1942
    Aventus - Creed
    Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Green Irish Tweed - Creed
    Royal Oud - Creed
    Halfeti - Penhaligon's
    Mousse Illuminee - Rouge Perfumery

Default Grand soir

I just checked my bottle. No batch number on the bottle as I’ve previously mentioned I don’t have the box.

The scent however is darker in colour than the stuff currently on sale. It is also notably stronger - I can smell its distinctive aroma from the top of the cap without even spraying it.

I don’t tend to wear mine much. Probably because it performs better in cooler weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Man Of The World View Post
    It's still very good but not as long lasting and has lost a bit of It's depth/opulence.
    Agreed..still good, but missing the depth and opulence that made it so special, imo. Wore it today, 4 sprays..4hrs of longevity and gf could barely detect it. This was her fav scent, so she knows it well.

I had 18095A, too and honestly it was the strongest batch out of several ones I've tried from 2016 to 2018.
    It lasted 12 hours easily and the sweet base you could smell even the next day on skin. On clothes you get whiffs after a week.
    It was nearly too potent to wear.

I think, that your older bottle of the same batch got stronger with use and age - it's a normal process when more air gets into the bottle and maybe some alcohol evaporates which makes the concentration of the perfume itself stronger.

In regards to the color, the juice does not darken a lot but become yellowish and then finally green.
    That's no joke, I've seen that several times with my decants.

Here are pics of a bottle with green juice posted on German Parfumo forum (see link below):

790561_ab06370fa068b3fabd98bf4b21314275.jpg
    790561_2bd8c94fb3e0918578ac91e22adc3aab.jpg

(https://www.parfumo.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=80592)

Went to Saks today and a very experienced sales associate was not aware of a reformulation but volunteered there can be some Batch to Batch variation. The tester bottle was etched Batch 18124, all their old stock was the same batch as was new stock just received (didn’t view the bottles, just the codes on the boxes). The colour was the same as a 2016 bottle I have as best I could judge. The scent on skin was unmistakably Grand Soir but a touch and only a touch lighter and thus more wearable. Maybe a reformulation, maybe Batch variation. Might have been after effects of the Slowdive I wore earlier... Light on the trigger, one spray only and it was plenty potent. Either way after the first hour it comes across as essentially the same as the original. Had I needed a backup bottle the current Saks stock would work for me.
    Currently wearing: Figment Man by Amouage

There are indeed batch variations with MFK Grand Soir - however I never found them nearly as big as fe. with Oud Satin Mood, which could smell really different from batch to batch.

The paler juice color some guys see at the testers in the stores is just the aging as mentioned above.
    If you unbox a brand new current batch bottle I'm pretty sure you'll get the original color like shown on the MFK website.

Appreciate everyone's feedback. What i find interesting is none of the bottles appear to have a batch number on them, and only the boxes have what i believe to be MFK's version of batch #. When I asked the brand rep, she stated they do not have batch numbers...not sure how true that is. Either way, what they have now is the same batch # i purchased in earlh 2018 and these are new bottles, so not sure how this could be batch reference on box.

Anyways, it is what it is...i will try to secure an older bottle. I just wish i knew what i was looking for to identify one lol

Dependent

Holy moley, that green juice doesn't look anything like mine. I bought my bottle in 2017 and it has a translucent medium dark amber color. It's also pretty potent. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
    I had 18095A, too and honestly it was the strongest batch out of several ones I've tried from 2016 to 2018.
    It lasted 12 hours easily and the sweet base you could smell even the next day on skin. On clothes you get whiffs after a week.
    It was nearly too potent to wear.

I think, that your older bottle of the same batch got stronger with use and age - it's a normal process when more air gets into the bottle and maybe some alcohol evaporates which makes the concentration of the perfume itself stronger.

In regards to the color, the juice does not darken a lot but become yellowish and then finally green.
    That's no joke, I've seen that several times with my decants.

Here are pics of a bottle with green juice posted on German Parfumo forum (see link below):

790561_ab06370fa068b3fabd98bf4b21314275.jpg
    790561_2bd8c94fb3e0918578ac91e22adc3aab.jpg

(https://www.parfumo.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=80592)
    This is a really weird colour that I've never seen before. That has to be a fake.

The darker colour has nothing to do with ageing, the first releases were noticeably darker in colour with good performance.

Quote Originally Posted by oudaddict View Post
    This is a really weird colour that I've never seen before. That has to be a fake.

The darker colour has nothing to do with ageing, the first releases were noticeably darker in colour with good performance.
    It's not a fake, it's 100% authentic.
    As written above I have experienced the color turning from ambery dark orange over yellow to green too with several authentic samples, which were from 2016 and 2017 batches. And I've seen that at least once on a Youtube review where the reviewer has also a green juice in the bottle (unfortunately I don't remember who it was, maybe Sebastian aka Smellinggreatreviews?)

I don't know if MFK has changed some of the color ingredients with newer bottles because they are certainly aware about that phenomenon?

On my 2018 batch there are:

- Cl 14700 (RED 4)
    - Cl 19140 (YELLOW 5)
    - Cl 42090 (BLUE 1)

A darker color doesn't mean that the juice is stronger - and vice versa.
    I don't think, that MFK has reformulated Grand Soir just 2 years after its release.

As I've said my 18095A batch was the strongest I've came across so far.
    I've did some research and found these quotes of another BN member who got exact this same batch:

"Grand Soir by MFK

- 3 ml. Sweet benzoin, Tonka. It's thick and rich. It feels comforting and rather simplistic. Wonderfully blended. It smells like almost gourmandy (which I'm not really a fan of), but leaning towards inedible. Like a food flavored candle maybe. I'm sure this is going to be a winter only fragrance, as I could totally see it being cloying and heavy. Whenever I tested this one, if it was on my wrist while another fragrance was on in general it seemed to out perform with a smaller amount. Longevity is big, sillage is big.

I really ended up enjoying this one a lot. I've used it all up, and ordered a full bottle.
    "

"Ive heard that. My bottle from MFK online was the same as my sample from perfumesamplesanddecants, so im happy with it. Code on box 18095A "

Link: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/458...=1#post4528528

So there may be batch variations, yes.
    But imho they aren't that big and I personally don't think it's necessary to hunt down older batches unless you want a green juice.

Quote Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
    It's not a fake, it's 100% authentic.
    As written above I have experienced the color turning from ambery dark orange over yellow to green too with several authentic samples, which were from 2016 and 2017 batches. And I've seen that at least once on a Youtube review where the reviewer has also a green juice in the bottle (unfortunately I don't remember who it was, maybe Sebastian aka Smellinggreatreviews?)

I don't know if MFK has changed some of the color ingredients with newer bottles because they are certainly aware about that phenomenon?

So there may be batch variations, yes.
    But imho they aren't that big and I personally don't think it's necessary to hunt down older batches unless you want a green juice.
    Very interesting. I remember ordering the first batches from MFK in France when it first got released, the performance was almost beastly and the colour was a dark amber. The recent samples that I have had (again directly from MFK in France) were much lighter in colour and did not last more than 6 hours. There are definitely batch variations, to say the least, I also doubt that it has been totally reformulated. So, it is changing colour from dark amber to yellow and then to green, this should be called "Traffic Light"!

I've looked into my backup bottle stock and found a sealed 18095A Grand Soir.

I just unboxed it - just for science of course!

So here you go:

DSCF1865.jpg

DSCF1868.jpg

DSCF1870.jpg

DSCF1871.jpg

DSCF1877.jpg

You clearly see the batch number printed on the bottom - so if the bottle of the TO haven't had one, maybe that one wasn't legit?

And here are some pics of an older sample which was decanted from an original bottle by a buddy of mine 1,5 years ago - it had the same color as the juice in the new opened bottle as shown above and now it's yellowy greenish:

DSCF1858.jpg

DSCF1861.jpg

Just put 5 ml into a travel atomizer, nothing wrong with the color, see the pic (as the pics above ooc JPGs, Fuji Astia mode):

DSCF1883.jpg

Very interesting, i just looked at the bottom of the bottle i have and it does NOT match the batch number of the box. Box is 18095A and bottle has 17251 imprinted on the bottle.

Not sure what to make of this, since I'd assume this would be an older bottle, considering the batch number being an earlier batch? Either way, that's very misleading and maybe I'm not comparing apples to apples when other's here have referenced 18095A as a strong scent.

Took a look at my last empty bottle and it matches the batch number on the box...18095A on both.

The number on the bottom my bottle is 16116. I don't have the box.

Mine is the beautiful amber color and it is quite potent.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Very interesting, i just looked at the bottom of the bottle i have and it does NOT match the batch number of the box. Box is 18095A and bottle has 17251 imprinted on the bottle.

Not sure what to make of this, since I'd assume this would be an older bottle, considering the batch number being an earlier batch? Either way, that's very misleading and maybe I'm not comparing apples to apples when other's here have referenced 18095A as a strong scent.

Took a look at my last empty bottle and it matches the batch number on the box...18095A on both.
    17251 is made in 2017.
    But that's very strange, if the code of the packaging then says 18095A.
    Was the box sealed in cellophane? Or maybe you've got the box of that one you returned and grabbed another bottle at Saks?