Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Does the nose know?....... & other dilemmas

Wondering how forum members have dealt with these questions in the early stages of learning about fragrances.

1. Do you purchase fragrances because you receive compliments while wearing a [sample] or because you enjoy the perfume?
    Case in point: I have sampled both Bracken Man and Beach Hut Man from Amouage. Received compliments on both fragrances but did not personally love either one..
    I apply to neck, chest and always one spray in the inner arm so I can allow my nose to digest changes during the wear and determine whether I enjoy it.
    Is there a better way to evaluate? Do you always trust your nose?

2. Made my first purchase post finding Basenotes
    Penhaligon's - Halfeti EDP - personally loved the sample, from initial application to 6+ hrs. later still going strong.
    Are there other fragrances that you might suggest based upon liking Halfeti?

3. Last but not least, I have read and learned a great deal from the forum there is one comment that will always be top of mind.

Buy only fragrances that you love, not the ones you just like

Currently wearing: Derby by Guerlain

Default Re: Does the nose know?....... & other dilemmas

In the last 14 years, I have received exactly two compliments on the fragrances I was wearing (L'eau par Kenzo in ~2006, and Mechant Loup in ~2011). I don't go by what others like, I go by what I love/like as I am the one who has to smell it most often.

First and foremost you should like what you wear. If you don’t at least like it and are only wearing a fragrance for compliments you’ll be missing out on a substantial part of life. Compliments are complimentary to fragrance not essential.

Would you go to a restaurant with a friend and order something you don’t like to eat because it might impress them?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

As for # 1, as I hardly ever receive compliments with fragrances I wear, it's not a factor at all in what I purchase.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by newatthis66 View Post
    Wondering how forum members have dealt with these questions in the early stages of learning about fragrances.

1. Do you purchase fragrances because you receive compliments while wearing a [sample] or because you enjoy the perfume?Yes, but both of these were fragrances I had wanted to buy before receiving the compliments. Additionally, these two compliments were the only two compliments I have received. One was for Opium (women's) EDP, and the other was for Amouage Interlude man. Having said that, I would not buy a fragrance I didn't like, just because others did.

Case in point: I have sampled both Bracken Man and Beach Hut Man from Amouage. Received compliments on both fragrances but did not personally love either one..
    I apply to neck, chest and always one spray in the inner arm so I can allow my nose to digest changes during the wear and determine whether I enjoy it.
    Is there a better way to evaluate? IMO, the best way to evaluate fragrances is to wear them as you normally would, in the same environment that you normally do. For me, I do a lot of testing at the house, but I always do "full wearings" to work with my usual amount of sprays to truly evaluate things.

Do you always trust your nose?Yes, but I like to revisit fragrances multiple times as I have allergies, and it can severely affect the way I perceive a fragrance. At the end of the day though, always trust your own sensibilities and thoughts.

Penhaligon's - Halfeti EDP - personally loved the sample, from initial application to 6+ hrs. later still going strong.
    Are there other fragrances that you might suggest based upon liking Halfeti? I am not familiar with that one, so I don't have anything I could suggest that goes beyond simply listing things I like.

3. Last but not least, I have read and learned a great deal from the forum there is one comment that will always be top of mind.

Responses in bold.

I'd never wear something to receive compliments or in an attempt to attract people, no judgement against those who would do. Perfume is to enhance my vigor, confidence, and enjoyment.

I wear what I like. It's nice if other people think I smell good, but I wear fragrance for me and not them.
    It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.--Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

1) Compliments only get fished from my boyfriend. Everyone else can give me a wide berth for all I care.

2) Never smelled Halfeti, but it sounds like a rose oud/amber thing, so investigating those would be my next step.

3) If only that were possible for me. I tend to wax and wane my interest in all but my top favorites, although I do tend to steep longer with samples now.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Mandom by Mandom

Freed from BN Institution

1. Do you purchase fragrances because you receive compliments while wearing a [sample] or because you enjoy the perfume?

To answer #1 and #3
    I purchase fragrances purely if I enjoy a fragrance after extensive sampling.

My suggestion would be to purchase fragrances that you love that you KNOW you want to wear and not for the sake of having it.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

#1: I buy ONLY the fragrances that I personally enjoy(love), lately after en extensive sampling, no matter what others think about. Case in point: I own and love about 11 Amouage scents and only received some compliments wearing one day a Reflection Man sample which I didn't liked too much. This doesn't detracted me enjoying the scents I already have or lending me to buy that Reflection bottle. I always trust my nose and, the evaluate method you use is just as good as others, if can help you (and it should be enough) decide for yourself.
    #2: I also love Halfeti and, in that vein, I can recommend to try Chopard Oud Malaki, (most similar), Carner Barcelona Cuirs (more leather-y) and JHAG Into the Void (more saffron-y).
    #3: I agree with that statement, life is too short to settle or stick with scents you don't entirely love. Trust your own nose, try to sample extensively before committing to a buy and if it's good for you, get it (or, better, if you found a masterpiece for yourself, get also a backup.
    I've learned this lesson in the hard way.....
    "I love fragrances because they provide a sheer endless variety: there is a scent for every occasion, mood or feeling. Standing before my collection matching a perfume to my needs is one of the most enjoyable things in my day..."
    Autumn favorites :: Gucci PH : Nemo : YSL M7 : Tobacco Oud : Opus VII : Royal Oud : Heritage : Pure Havane : Coromandel : Wazamba : Tobacco Nuit : Egoiste : DHP : Pure Coffee : Vento nel Vento : Fille en Aiguilles : Godolphin : B*Men : Into the Void : Versace Man.
    Currently wearing: Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford

Dependent

No, Jon Snose nose nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    First and foremost you should like what you wear. If you don’t at least like it and are only wearing a fragrance for compliments you’ll be missing out on a substantial part of life. Compliments are complimentary to fragrance not essential.

Would you go to a restaurant with a friend and order something you don’t like to eat because it might impress them?
    “To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art.”
    Grand Admiral Thrawn

Basenotes Junkie Alonewithcologne's Avatar

You might seek out alleged compliment getters and see if you really enjoy any. If you find a fragrance which appeals a great deal to yourself and others then you have the best of both worlds.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by foxbins View Post
    I wear what I like. It's nice if other people think I smell good, but I wear fragrance for me and not them.
    ^^ Me too.

Alse, my wife must at least tolerate. Luckily she has a great nose and is a great swing vote when I'm on the fence.

1. Imo, the best way to evaluate is to wear the scent from a sample. Purchase more if you have the desire to wear it again but no longer have any. Compliments don't influence purchases for me.

2. I'm not familiar with Halfeti.

3. "Buy only fragrances that you love, not the ones you just like" --> At first glance, this statement seems persuasive. But, thinking about it for a bit, there's a lot of room for some semantic misleading bullshitness.

The whole like vs. love premise...eh...I'm not going for that proposition which seems tinged with a bit of semantic confusion built into the notion.

I don't think the proposition is actually useful in my life.

There could be something that you "like" that you feel like wearing once in a while...and, when those days come, there's no scent that you love that you'd rather wear than the one you like on that particular day.

To give one example, I don't love Polo Green. I like it. And, I've liked it for a very long time. And, once in while, there's nothing else I'd rather wear that day...

I definitely don't love Amouage Sunshine Man. But, I'm glad I have some because it's so damn interesting. And, once in a while I want to experience it.

For me, a better way to put it would be: "I, personally, will buy only fragrances that I feel I will specifically want to wear once in a while."
    "I'm sure there are things that you like that someone else here dislikes."
    papillo

1. I purchase it based on whether I enjoy the fragrance or not, I'm not really overly concerned with what others think. I have received many compliments with Amouage Beach Hut Man and I also love it myself. I always trust my nose.

2. I'm not a fan of Halfeti, but you would probably enjoy Penhaligon's Cairo if you like Halfeti.

3. That's a good motto that I might steal. For collectors with big budgets though, they will be interested in purchasing fragrances they like too.

1. Do you purchase fragrances because you receive compliments while wearing a [sample] or because you enjoy the perfume?]
    My nose is the only one that matters. I don't care how much other people might like something like Sauvage. I think it's terrible, so I'm not buying it or wearing it.

I don't care about receiving compliments on the fragrances that I'm wearing. I don't need to fish for meaningless compliments. And, honestly, if someone is complimenting your fragrances but not you and your personality, then you have a problem that a fragrance can't fix.

I'm wearing a fragrance because I like it and I want to smell it. If other people like it, that's a nice coincidence, but I don't have time to live for anyone but me.

1- I don’t buy fragrance for compliments but it is very kind when people do say something positive.
    2- I found the best way to test for me is by the inner fold of the elbow, far enough to catch whiffs throughout the day and it prevents me from bringing it too close to my nose which can end up with some misjudgment.
    3- if you like Halfeti you would probably enjoy the Kilian, Montale and Serge Lutens lines, all mostly orientals.

Basenotes Plus

Spend less; go with the smaller bottles - you’ll struggle to finish a bottle of anything for tastes tend to change sooner than you think. ‘Love’ may turn to ‘like’, and ‘likes’ to ‘loves’.

Do not be afraid to spend $ on your fragrance education if you’re serious about this hobby. After 10 years I still pay for samples of fragrances I want to learn more about.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

Regarding point 1: in most cases, trusting the nose more so if going for classic choices and less if just following trends while the nose is either not 100% convinced or only partly convinced about supposed qualities of a fragrance that is far likelier only a bit more than a glorified marketing/PR success. Also, tending to choose fragrances as a combination of both reasons, though personal tastes, enjoyments and curiosities do prevail, while compliments are usually an added bonus.

Regarding point 2: congratulations for choosing this fine fragrance from a house incidentally ranked quite highly among personal favorite ones. Did not have the chance to test this but will do so asap and with additional focus on and hopefully appreciation of its notes and their development.

Regarding point 3: can assume and would be glad to prove right that BN luckily had this beneficial effect on most of us and/or enhanced, (re) confirmed this outlook, opinion, perspective if already existing, as well as about fragrances one does actually love and enjoy heartily, apart/aside from any outer opinions and factors
    Currently wearing: Citrus & Wood by Yardley