Code of Conduct

Default Roger et Gallet Oeillet Bleu/Blue Carnation - help me date this splash bottle?

I found this at Goodwill today and it looks quite old, but I can't seem to find any info about this particular bottle online. The only labels are on the front and bottom (sticker on the back is the Goodwill price tag), and don't list what concentration it is or anything else. I'm not particularly a vintage person but it looked interesting and I couldn't pass it up. Based on the notes I found it does seem to smell close to what it should, so hopefully it hasn't degraded too much over time, although I can't be sure since I have no clue where it originally came from. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

68247344_2263243730656717_271520221771071488_n.jpg
    67405127_496991907720272_2984404690445271040_n.jpg

Que scay-je?

LittleBunnyFouFou

Default Re: Roger et Gallet Oeillet Bleu/Blue Carnation - help me date this splash bottle?

I can't help on the dating, but it's definitely old. Also old are my eyes which can't make out the volume amount on the front. 1/8 oz? 1/6 or 1/2 oz? Idk but I would die to find a Roger & Gallet Oeillet Bleue in a Goodwill. If you love vintage carnation it's The One. I would guess it to be perfume given the small-ish size.
    What a nice thing to find!

Default Re: Roger et Gallet Oeillet Bleu/Blue Carnation - help me date this splash bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by theladymay View Post
    I can't help on the dating, but it's definitely old. Also old are my eyes which can't make out the volume amount on the front. 1/8 oz? 1/6 or 1/2 oz? Idk but I would die to find a Roger & Gallet Oeillet Bleue in a Goodwill. If you love vintage carnation it's The One. I would guess it to be perfume given the small-ish size.
    What a nice thing to find!
    Thanks! I was very surprised to find it in Goodwill. It's 1/8 oz size. The bottom label says "Roger & Gallet New York Paris" at the top, and "52 Compounded in USA" at the bottom. Not sure what the 52 means, or if it's perhaps referring to the year the bottle was made?

Que scay-je?

LittleBunnyFouFou

I imagine the 52 is a bottle number or catalog number. If it was compounded in the U.S. that points to early 70s; I still don't know why but there were some years there where many French fragrances were made in the U.S. with oils imported from France - you'll find it on Guerlains, Hermes and others. I'm totally guessing though and I imagine someone better versed in the serious vintages & bottles will show up before too long. I have a pretty ridiculous amount of fragrances, almost all pre 1995, but I've never been able to obtain a wearable Oeillet Bleu. I still have scent memories of my Grandma wearing it though, probably in sachet form. The color of your juice looks good too!

Quote Originally Posted by theladymay View Post
    I imagine the 52 is a bottle number or catalog number. If it was compounded in the U.S. that points to early 70s; I still don't know why but there were some years there where many French fragrances were made in the U.S. with oils imported from France - you'll find it on Guerlains, Hermes and others. I'm totally guessing though and I imagine someone better versed in the serious vintages & bottles will show up before too long. I have a pretty ridiculous amount of fragrances, almost all pre 1995, but I've never been able to obtain a wearable Oeillet Bleu. I still have scent memories of my Grandma wearing it though, probably in sachet form. The color of your juice looks good too!
    Thanks for the info! The color is pretty light - there was some darkened oil/residue around the cap when I took it off, but otherwise seems like it hasn't been touched in ages. Just sniffing from the bottle I mostly get lots and lots of clove.

Que scay-je?

LittleBunnyFouFou

Smile Re: Roger et Gallet Oeillet Bleu/Blue Carnation - help me date this splash bottle?

Just talked with a dear perfume friend who usually knows about the things I don't. She says that R & G had fragrances compounded in the U.S. in the 40s and/or 50s which would definitely seem to fit in more with the look of the label and so on. She thinks that she recalls R & G as using "Blue Carnation" rather than Oeillet Bleu in the 70s here too although that might not have applied to all of their stock. The 70s were still the dark ages as far as production methods, standards and consistency, even with the big houses. Anyway I just thought I'd share her insight.

Thanks for the update, theladymay! That all makes sense - the bottle/label design look more like 40s/50s to me, especially compared with some of the more "modern" looking bottles I've seen poking around online. I did manage to find this bottle on eBay that looks quite similar, other than the label, which contains more information on concentration and is blue rather than white:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-Sealed-...ss!98122!US!-1

That one is also from the 40s, so it must be from roughly that time.

Que scay-je?