Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: NEW Dior Sauvage Parfum 2019 Official Discussion

Nice. This Dillard’s is doing a pre sale for 8/23 and were pushing me hard to make a Pre sale purchase.

I wouldn’t worry about reformulation, same was said about DHI and it’s still BEAST, notes may have changed a bit but performance has not. Dior is one of the few that keep delivering quality regardless if something calls for a change.
    Currently wearing: Allure Homme by Chanel

Basenotes Plus

By the review descriptions of the scent, IMO, there is the Very Cool Spray and the EDT.......and then anything else is a gimmick flanker. The Very Cool Spray genuinely is remarkable. IMO, superior to the EDT.
    Currently wearing: Sélection Verte by Creed

Basenotes Junkie Alonewithcologne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    I wouldn’t worry about reformulation, same was said about DHI and it’s still BEAST, notes may have changed a bit but performance has not. Dior is one of the few that keep delivering quality regardless if something calls for a change.
    I hope you're right about the performance of DHI, since I recently bought it, and when trying it out in the store, only detected it on myself for six hours by smelling my arm. I hope it's just anosmia.

Quote Originally Posted by Primatesinplaid View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

I just picked it up at Lord and Taylor, I ended up getting the 60ml it was $120 before tax.
    Wearing it now, seems to be a lot darker than what I tried in Macy’s from the unmarked tester but this is from the bottle sprayer which sprays a lot of juice.

Box is the same as the others, the bottle has changed slightly.
    The font on the bottle is now in silver instead of white and the gradient on the bottle is much darker ( still does not fade to amber like the pics but instead a dark blue/ black.

Really enjoying it so far, will update longevity and more in a few.
    Update:

Projects for about 3 hours then becomes very close to the skin.
    Very modern oriental, more amber woods ( Chanel’s “incense”) than ambroxan in the base.
    Smooth deep and dark, well blended, really like the mandarin addition in the opening and the sandlewood smells better to me then it initially did.

Comparing to the edp it’s much less fresh and much more serious, does not smell all that similar at all so I don’t find it redundant.
    I’m betting this will be very well received by most around here if you don’t have a huge bias towards Sauvage and judge simply by smell.

Happy with my purchase and the different nuances this offers in the line.
    Total wear time about 7 hours before you really have to dig in to notice.

Have a great day all!

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Nice. This Dillard’s is doing a pre sale for 8/23 and were pushing me hard to make a Pre sale purchase.
    I went to my local Dillard's as well and SA was begging me to do a pre order.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Primatesinplaid View Post
    ... and apparently some didnt catch that

I mean, I was going to buy this anyway but now Im excited for it.
    Current Rotation
    *Mont Blanc Explorer
    *Polo Ultra Blue
    *Mancera Cedrat Boise
    *Parfums de Marly Pegasus
    *Mancera Wild Fruits
    *Dior Sauvage edT
    *Chanel Allure Homme Sport eau extreme

Dior is the only house I know of where every parfum version of a fragrance is as good or better than the edt.

I don’t like Suavage but I forsee this easily being the best version of the line.

Long time lurker, thought I might as well contribute as I blind bought the parfum.

As a point of reference, I find the EDT to be meh and cannot tolerate EDP as I find it to be too screechy, synthetic and piercing due to the heavy dose of ambroxan. I don't own a full bottle of sauvage until the parfum. I normally wear Nishane Hacivat, Adg profumo special blend, 16L01 GIT, 16M01 Aventus, 18F01 Himalaya and occasionally Y edp (but am starting to regret the purchase). Have other designer scents like Terre d'Hermes, The one edp, Allure homme edition blanche etc. but these are just collecting dust now.

For a pricey designer like this, try it out before you buy.

Presentation: you see one sauvage, you've seen them all. Minor tweaks here and there but 95% identical. A bit more refined than the EDP bottle.

Sprayer is definitely high quality, reminds me of the old Creed atomisers, you can easily control how much you spray.

Juice: compared with the EDP version, parfum is a pleasant surprise to my nose. The screechy ambroxan note has been toned down significantly during the initial 30 minutes. Top notes are led by an almost creamy mandarin note for the first 5 minutes and slowly develops into a more creamy, refined version of EDP, supported by 50% mandarin+20% bergamote and ambroxan. "smooth" is the word I would use if compared with EDP. A lot smoother.

Mid note lacks depth, plain and simple. Dominated by ambroxan, borderline "too much" without actually being intolerable which is better than the EDP (or my nose is just overly sensitive when it comes to ambroxan?) Some of the notes like tonka bean peaks out but do not have enough volume to compete against the overwhelming ambroxan during this phase even when combined with sandalwood.

Base note is where the parfum truly shines. Ambroxan almost fades away under the arising sandalwood, supported by tonka bean, vanilla and frankincense. Smells natural (for a designer), creamy & smooth. Too bad it sticks closer to the skin at this point.

Performance is solid for a parfum, around 8 hours on my skin before it becomes a true skin scent. Projection is spot on with a solid scent cloud. EDP is way too loud for me.

Overall I like the parfum enough to not regret the blind buy. Demachy manages to keep the mass appealing sauvage DNA and add a high-quality twist. I prefer the parfum to BdC parfum but they both serve the same purpose, being the high quality dumb-reach mass appealing bottle in your collection. If you are a niche only person and hate sauvage EDT&EDP for being synthetic and mass appealing, chances are you are not going to be impressed by the parfum. For a designer fragrance, sauvage parfum does the job and does it well. Not redundant at all to my nose. 198 AUD/150 USD for 100ml is on the pricier side though, you can get a good niche at this price point.

Would be awesome if there's a 2021 extrait de parfum version that completely eliminates the ambroxan issue, but I guess this is what makes sauvage.. sauvage.

Try it out before you buy.

TCY, that’s one way to make an entrance!

Excellent review you’ve posted here. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this one. Like many others, I’m curious about this one due to the other Dior Parfum releases.

Welcome to Basenotes. Now that you’re registered, please join us.

Assessment by tcy is spot on

I like it better than edt and edp. It’s better than sauvage but it’s still sauvage.

Basenotes Plus

It’s better than sauvage - but it’s still sauvage.
    They should put that on the box and their adverts.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: Jeke by Slumberhouse

a quarter million, tops

Well, gave it a try at macys. Two sprays one forearm. I had a bit of smelling previously, so i wasnt free and clear. But heres what i thought. In the opening i felt like there was some sort of egg smell. Reminded me of some chemical that is present in Dior Homme Eau. Sauvage DNA is there. But i feel like some of its pepperyness or whatever is gone. Now it feels more sporty soap with whatever else. Ambrox a bit more drown out by some more sweetness from the mandarin and tonka. In its heart it has some Sauvage plus campfire thing goin on. Its a bit softer, lasts at least 6 hours now, pretty strong skin scent. At this point maybe kind of softer Sauvage with a bit of "incense".
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

So edp, edt or parfum has the best sillage and projection? To me they seem to and the same but looking for the best performer.

a quarter million, tops

Quote Originally Posted by Nattyboh74 View Post
    So edp, edt or parfum has the best sillage and projection? To me they seem to and the same but looking for the best performer.
    I guess id say EDT and EDP fairly equal. If youre looking for performance first and foremost just get either of those.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

My wife loved it today at the store and bought it for my upcoming birthday next Friday. Can’t have it yet! She liked it better than several others we tried.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    My wife loved it today at the store and bought it for my upcoming birthday next Friday. Can’t have it yet! She liked it better than several others we tried.
    Congrats, that’s a nice birthday gift!
    Fragrance is my favorite thing. So much so that if I leave the house and I don't put any on, I'll turn around and go back home.
    Currently wearing: Allure Homme by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    Congrats, that’s a nice birthday gift!
    I’m absolutely spoiled rotten.

Initial impression of Sauvage Parfum

It’s quite different than the EDT and EDP

Firstly it’s more subtle. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but another example of concentration having zero value when discussing men’s perfumes. This isn’t going to project like the previous 2

Anyone telling you this is just a stronger version of the previous releases is incorrect.

The scent is darker, denser and smoother, if that makes sense.

Comes across more mature and after 30 minutes on skin it may as well be a different release as it doesn’t give off the standard Sauvage scent profile

I don’t know if the price point is justified, I’ll have to give it a few more tests in the morning when my nose hasn’t been exposed to too many scents throughout the day.

Initial impression however from 3 sprays to the arm and 1 hour on skin is that the EDP is probably still the best of the 3
    My top 30

1. Gucci Envy / D&G By Man
    2. Amber Sky /Cedrat Boise
    3. Costarela / TFK Arab Spring
    4. Dior Homme Intense / Baccarat Rouge 540
    5. Dior Homme Cologne / Chez Bond
    6. Incense Oud / Aventus
    7. Antidote / By the Fireplace
    8. Gucci Pour Homme / Armani Attitude
    9. Black Phantom / Layton
    10. D&G The One EDP / M7
    11. Santal Majuscule / Reckless
    12. Diadema / Prada L’Homme
    13. Habdan / Tuxedo
    14. Lira / Dior Homme Sport 2012
    15. Citric Santa Eulalia / Clive X

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by naw View Post
    There is a rumor statitng that DHP is officially discontinud by dior, just like Fahrenheit Parfum
    What about fact checking before spreading hoaxes? Google is your friend, man.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shave-A-Thon View Post
    I just called Dior USA and they confirmed there will be a release of a Dior Sauvage Parfum next month. Information will be released. Nothing official has been listed on their sites.
    [highly unapologetic, sarcastic and acidic comment deleted to stick to the forum rules... too easy on this thread]

Banned

Like I’m not going to buy it...
    So... what are you going to do?
    Last edited by Andy the frenchy; 27th August 2019 at 04:12 PM.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

She chose well. It will be a nice gift.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Tried this one yesterday evening. Had high hopes but was extremely disappointed.

People compared the original Sauvage EDT to Blue De Chanel when it first came out. I never understood this comparison at all. I thought Sauvage was unique and nothing smelled quite like it. However, Sauvage Parfum smells so close to BDC Parfum that it's just plain embarrassing. However, this is only for the initial 30 minutes. After the opening, it smells just like Sauvage EDP. Found it only lasted about 4 hours on my skin. So sad.

Wearing a sample of the EDT right now and it's so much better. Fresh, unique (I know, it spawned so many clones), and performance is excellent.

Smelled it today at Debenhams alongside the EDP. I never liked the EDT at all, so I didn't even bother smelling the EDP... until today.

Between the EDP and the Parfum, at first, the EDP seemed to be the better one because it smelled richer, more aromatic, potent, but after ten minutes I was getting slightly annoyed by it, whereas the Parfum didn't. As I was sniffing the Parfum, BDC Parfum popped in my mind. It seemed like a lighter, maybe fresher version of BDC Parfum, which is not a bad thing.

Overall, I liked it. I certainly would wear it over the like of AdGP (and others), any day. Personally, I would not buy it at present, but if I had to choose between the three Sauvages I'd definitely pick the Parfum.

[edit]: I'd also like to add that I picked up a light sweetness note in the background of the Parfum that I hadn't noticed in the EDP, which was rather nice.

Assessment by tcy is spot on

I like it better than edt and edp. It’s better than sauvage but it’s still sauvage.
    This is the correct answer really. It is so obviously Sauvage that that's all people are going to smell. The only saving grace it has is that it screeches less and because of that it is the best one.

Any talk of subtleties and nuances is a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by mfinz8 View Post
    This is the correct answer really. It is so obviously Sauvage that that's all people are going to smell. The only saving grace it has is that it screeches less and because of that it is the best one.

Any talk of subtleties and nuances is a waste of time.
    I don’t find that to similar after the first 20 mins at all so not the correct answer for me.
    Minor nuances is the idea of all flankers , start with something familiar and add a new twist.

Flankers just can’t win...overall people hate them because they are “too similar, why did they bother?” or “smell nothing like the original”

Bought it, but kinda regret it. It's everywhere! I now cant get away from it when out and about, its now everyone elses scent. Unique? No. Quality, yes. May try some other Dior

Not a daily scent either, made for a nice dinner out, but everyone wears it to the beach, shopping, everywhere!

Got a 5 ml decant of Dior Sauvage Parfum and I'm underwhelmed.
    I usually like or love the Parfum versions of Dior's designer fragrances, but this is not even close on this level.
    I haven't expected anything because I'm not a big fan of Sauvage, but I honestly think - as far as my first impressions go - that you're better off with the original (EdT) or the EdP.

And yes, I experienced, too, what George means when he talks about that "frozen potato chips" smell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJSy_BFgN7Y

However, I need to try this a few more times, maybe it grows on me?
    Last edited by FragFrog; 28th August 2019 at 01:02 AM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast