Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Exclamation Need your thoughts on a potential purchase (Egoiste)

I'm buying a bottle of Egoiste Cologne Concentree from a seller at a good price.

Now, they also have a bottle of vtg. Egoiste splash (2.5 oz) which is supposedly from the 90s.

I have a current (circa 2017-18, more specifically) bottle of Egoiste and love it. I also went through a decant of Egoiste that was from the mid 2000s, and for me there are very minor differences between that and my bottle, pretty much the same for me.

Here is my question - is it worth going for the splash bottle of Egoiste?

If it is the same or nearly the same - not in terms of testing on paper or skin, but in terms of just wearing it and getting on with the day, then I'd skip it. If it is quite different and better (example current Habit Rouge EdT vs vintage Habit Rouge EdT) then I'd go for it.

Also, would it not be redundant if I'm getting the Egoiste Cologne Concentree (and have my bottle of Egoiste)? Note that I'm trying to prune my wardrobe.

The seller's pricing is fair, and I have no reason for any concern about authenticity/quality/condition.

Many thanks!
    Summer Rotation: Acqua di Gio Profumo, Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche, Sel Marin, Castile, Mugler Cologne, Allure Homme Sport Cologne

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Default Re: Need your thoughts on a potential purchase (Egoiste)

It all depends on how the seller kept his cologne , is it new and sealed or is it unboxed or out the box but come with box, splash cologne can be tricky sometimes they tend to turn more then spray cologne, but hey I recently bought a 1992bottle of paco Rabanne splash cologne and it's smelling great..never know sometimes u may have to take the risk and see if it's worth it

To me the various vintages are close. Vintage is better as it has better sandalwood. But they are not day and night.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    To me the various vintages are close.
    Agree. If the Concentree is a spray though, that would be my choice.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I'm buying a bottle of Egoiste Cologne Concentree from a seller at a good price.

Now, they also have a bottle of vtg. Egoiste splash (2.5 oz) which is supposedly from the 90s.

I have a current (circa 2017-18, more specifically) bottle of Egoiste and love it. I also went through a decant of Egoiste that was from the mid 2000s, and for me there are very minor differences between that and my bottle, pretty much the same for me.

Here is my question - is it worth going for the splash bottle of Egoiste?

If it is the same or nearly the same - not in terms of testing on paper or skin, but in terms of just wearing it and getting on with the day, then I'd skip it. If it is quite different and better (example current Habit Rouge EdT vs vintage Habit Rouge EdT) then I'd go for it.

Also, would it not be redundant if I'm getting the Egoiste Cologne Concentree (and have my bottle of Egoiste)? Note that I'm trying to prune my wardrobe.

The seller's pricing is fair, and I have no reason for any concern about authenticity/quality/condition.

Many thanks!
    Did the seller provide photos of the splash bottle? If it's a sealed bottle then it should be good. If not then you'd be taking a risk. The issue with splash bottles is that juice could have been contaminated from air or human substances (eg, oil, skin). Another possibility is that juice could easily be transferred into the bottle.

Does the seller have excellent feedback? Any negative reviews? It would also be worth inquiring on the condition of the bottle, how it was stored and when and where it was purchased.

I would recommend getting a vintage Egoiste EDT bottle over what is now available as the original formulation is the best juice to possibly own. I own multiple backup bottles of the vintage formulation both splash and spray bottles! I prefer the spray bottles over the splash because of possible risks that I mentioned above. I opted to transferring the juice from the splash bottle into glass decant bottles so that it could be sprayed.

As for Egoiste Cologne Concentree, if you can get it for a very good deal then go for it. Cologne Concentree is a bit more potent early on, more spicy. At the drydown the Cologne Concentree as well as Bois Noir and Egoiste EDT meet the same dry down more or less. What is the offering price of Cologne Concentree? I personally enjoy the EDT more than Cologne Concentree and Bois Noir. Hope that helps.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Aubépine-Acacia by Creed