o

Default Re: NEW: Zoologist (?)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
    But...I'm also a huge sucker
    Was that a squid pun?
    Currently wearing: 17/17 Richwood by Xerjoff

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    bl00drunzcold is correct. To clear up the confusion about the limited edition bottles, straight from the horse's mouth (aka Victor):

Next up from the house, Horse's Mouth. This is a scent originally created as a signature for Victor Wong, soon to be available to the public.

Based on a horse mouth accord (hay, salt, ambergris, carrots).

(no, not really)
    Thanks for the clarification!

Quote Originally Posted by oudaddict View Post
    Was that a squid pun?
    More of a dad joke, really..but I'm glad someone got it!
    Currently Rotating:

*Davidoff Cool Water Summer 2018
    *YSL L'Homme Ultime
    *Vikor&Rolf Spicebomb
    *Dior Sauvage edT
    *Versace Pour Homme Dylan Blue

Basenotes Member Zoologist Perfumes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    That's not how I read it. 500 bottles would be HUGE for a limited edition. I think I remember the sunglasses version of T-Rex being 60 bottles and it took them a while to sell them, even though they were also available on Lucky Scent. I'm pretty sure it's 50 bottles of the special edition and an initial 450 regular bottles on top of that. Bear in mind, he's not saying that's all they're ever going to produce. It's just that they have 450 bottles of it right now, with the "special edition" 50 bottles already pre-sold.
    There were 450 bottles of special edition of T-Rex and sold out in about three month's time.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zoologist Perfumes View Post
    There were 450 bottles of special edition of T-Rex and sold out in about three month's time.
    nice to see you here. Brilliant company, you are wonderful. I wish you would use real ambergris.

Basenotes Member Zoologist Perfumes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    nice to see you here. Brilliant company, you are wonderful. I wish you would use real ambergris.
    Thank you ~

No real ambergris unfortunately, for it's not easy to have consistent batches.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zoologist Perfumes View Post
    Thank you ~

No real ambergris unfortunately, for it's not easy to have consistent batches.
    Yes I can see that. But it’s surmountable. Natural ambergris is so magical.

Squid sounds appealing, looking forward to sniffing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    I, too, am a Hyrax lover (behind T. Rex, Moth & Camel).
    Squid will squeeze right in there and it doesn't smell like anything BN members have ever eaten.

IMG_0719 (1).jpg

A much easier wearing scent than Hyrax or T Rex and to my nose Moth. Might be as easy as Dragonfly. Still getting familiar with it but the first 10-15 minutes have a nice pink pepper which fades away over two hours. I get the black ink and incense on opening and as the opening fades some salt in about an hour. My spouse, who was not familiar with the notes, first smelled it at the hour mark. Pronounced ink with an underlaying flowery scent from the opoponax, no salt. The ink accord dominates for both if us four hours in. Still evolving... This scent is fashioned well to represent a squid and fit in the Zoologist line. Not mainstream, not blind buy safe. Presentation of the limited edition is above the norm for Zoologist and they are always well done. The scent is obviously of high quality, no corners cut.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by U2u View Post
    Squid will squeeze right in there and it doesn't smell like anything BN members have ever eaten.

IMG_0719 (1).jpg

A much easier wearing scent than Hyrax or T Rex and to my nose Moth. Might be as easy as Dragonfly. Still getting familiar with it but the first 10-15 minutes have a nice pink pepper which fades away over two hours. I get the black ink and incense on opening and as the opening fades some salt in about an hour. My spouse, who was not familiar with the notes, first smelled it at the hour mark. Pronounced ink with an underlaying flowery scent from the opoponax, no salt. The ink accord dominates for both if us four hours in. Still evolving... This scent is fashioned well to represent a squid and fit in the Zoologist line. Not mainstream, not blind buy safe. Presentation of the limited edition is above the norm for Zoologist and they are always well done. The scent is obviously of high quality, no corners cut.
    Thanks a ton for the report!
    Currently wearing: Cairo by Penhaligon's

Zoologist, ironically, avoid using animal products in their fragrances. So, no real ambergris.
    Currently wearing: 17/17 Richwood by Xerjoff

Quote Originally Posted by oudaddict View Post
    Zoologist, ironically, avoid using animal products in their fragrances. So, no real ambergris.
    Not entirely... from their web site for Hyrax:

"*Synthetic notes. Zoologist Hyrax does not use animal derived musks. **African Stone is a by-product of hyraxes and no animals are harmed in its harvesting. Zoologist Hyrax is not a vegan perfume."

Using real ambergris would not be much different than using the waste products from a Hyrax. No more harm to the whale than the hyrax. Victor posted above in regards to consistency or such with real ambergris. Unsaid are issues of cost and legal issues with real ambergris.

Here is a snippet from the National Oceans and Atmospheric Administration in the United States:

"What about ambergris?
    You may not collect, keep, or sell ambergris because it is a part from an endangered marine mammal.

Ambergris is a naturally occurring by-product of sperm whale digestive tracts sometimes found on beaches. Ambergris is created when secretions form around squid beaks and cuttlefish parts in the intestinal tract of a whale."

The full text:

https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/natio...-species-parts

At some level CITES must be impacting on the perfume trade.

I like the real deal but am very pleased Zoologist has taken their chosen route. Solid products with consistently good performance, affordable prices, responsibly manufactured. Bad enough perfume is treated as a dangerous good for shipping, the ambergris issue could get it deemed prohibited. CBSA in Canada has very long reach and makes some interesting decisions on goods crossing the border. Zoologist is based within walking distance of me, in Canada.

On Squid, after 12 hours it is reduced to a comforting skin scent. Not much development past four hours. Hyrax, on the other hand, still has a fair kick after 12 hours.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by U2u View Post

Excellent little review. I'm intrigued.

Basenotes Plus

Salty, new aquatics are definitely popping up here and there, although lets be honest the aquatic genre never really went away, it's always had its fans.

I have sort of a new fascination / preoccupation with a handful of aquatic scents. Some have worked (Gincense by Oliver; Oud Minerale by Tom Ford) and others have not (Dodo by Zoologist; L'Entier by Robert Piguet).

Sure, I will try this when I get a chance.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Grev by Slumberhouse

not right, in the head

....................................... Central PA
    Blog Entries

I've pretty much made up my mind I am no longer buying perfume. [ Unless, that is, I win Powerball.] I have more juice than I'll ever use. That stated, the only exception is anything released by Zoologist. I have every travel-size bottle except Beaver and this new, Squid perfume. I'd sell off my Shalimar Mexican Vanilla version flanker if I had to, to keep purchasing Zoologist. Yes. I love them that much.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/468...ilk?highlight= my for sale thread...

Grunge is dead... Long live Grunge...
    Currently wearing: Mellifera by Sixteen92

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    I've pretty much made up my mind I am no longer buying perfume. [ Unless, that is, I win Powerball.] I have more juice than I'll ever use. That stated, the only exception is anything released by Zoologist. I have every travel-size bottle except Beaver and this new, Squid perfume. I'd sell off my Shalimar Mexican Vanilla version flanker if I had to, to keep purchasing Zoologist. Yes. I love them that much.
    Wow
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Saw the pic of the Squid bottle above. Wow, that's some serious blue juice!

-- Eckhart Tolle

Ordered mine the day it released and yes, I went for the "Special Edition." I had it sent to my house and won't be back in the States unitl November-ish, but I am very excited for this one. Can't wait to read everyone's thoughts on it.
    Currently Rotating:

*YSL L'Homme Ultime
    *Vikor&Rolf Spicebomb
    *Dior Sauvage edT

I tried it and found it pleasant in a light aquatic way, lighter than Acqua di Sale. Certainly not on the Moth/T Rex axis of challenge/reward.

My partner wants a bottle.

Basenotes Plus

Does the juice spray on blue, on skin?

-- Eckhart Tolle

Wore Squid today, and found it a nice clean salty aquatic. As some have said, it’s definitely not very challenging so it should appeal to many. There is a bit of a ink type accord that is nice, but I wish it were a bit more prominent. Didn’t get any smoky incense vibe as described by luckyscent.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Does the juice spray on blue, on skin?
    No stain on my pale skin

Basenotes Plus

No stain on my pale skin
    Thanks

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

This almost sounds like "Zoologist goes mainstream." For the big Zoologist fans those who have worn Squid would you say it's sort of playing with crossing over/mass appeal or is it still a worthy release in the grand lineage of the brand?
    Currently wearing: Cairo by Penhaligon's

not right, in the head

....................................... Central PA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Wow
    What can I say, Mike? It's my favorite house!

Just ordered the Squid travel size bottle for my collection. Happy, happy!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/468...ilk?highlight= my for sale thread...

Grunge is dead... Long live Grunge...
    Currently wearing: Mellifera by Sixteen92

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Oud Dude View Post
    This almost sounds like "Zoologist goes mainstream." For the big Zoologist fans those who have worn Squid would you say it's sort of playing with crossing over/mass appeal or is it still a worthy release in the grand lineage of the brand?
    I thought Dodo was like that. I gave my decant to a friend, I wasn't enjoying it.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Wow, I did NOT find Dodo to be mainstream. It was almost too challenging for me.

Wow, I did NOT find Dodo to be mainstream. It was almost too challenging for me.
    Perhaps they meant Chameleon? I agree, my sample of Dodo was not mainstream at all. Still very animalic and bird-like. I thought Chamelon with it's tropical notes was closer to a mainstream fragrance...more like the reform of Panda.
    Currently Rotating:

*YSL L'Homme Ultime
    *Vikor&Rolf Spicebomb
    *Dior Sauvage edT

Basenotes Plus

I love the perfumer of Dodo so I guess I had too-high expectations. It didn't agree with me at all. Smelled like something 'mainstream' to my nose. But it definitely has it's fans here.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by Oud Dude View Post
    I think there’s truth to this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast