Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Question Too Sweet Perfume

I recently bought perfume but realized that it's too sweet. Is there any way I could make it less so?

Default Re: Too Sweet Perfume

You could try being mean to the bottle in order to harden its heart and make it bitter.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Layer it with something sharp and dry like a woody note or powder. Best I can think of on short notice. XD
    oh look, I have a signature

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Layer it with something sharp and dry like a woody note or powder. Best I can think of on short notice. XD
    This could very well solve the problem. Good thinking!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cutsmut View Post
    you could try being mean to the bottle in order to harden its heart and make it bitter.
    lol
    Currently wearing: Chypre Palatin by MDCI

Freed from BN Institution

Layer with some darker notes. Amber, patchouli, sandalwood, incense, cloves, as some examples.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Blog Entries

I also agree that layering it with a fragrance will solve the issue. Especially a natural smelling strong amber, like Amber Absolute for example. As natural amber's are sweet, but naturally sweet, with a resinous feel. This will blend well with sweet frags, keeping it well balanced while masking the sweet notes with naturally sweet amber. Amber is a very strong note, so it usually works well. Patchouli would be my 2nd choice, however certain sweet notes can clash with patchouli more so than amber. If your sweet notes are florals or gourmands, it should be ok, but if they're fruity notes, you may have a problem. Just in my experience.

If you do read this, please comment on which fragrance it is that you have?
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler
    Currently wearing: Cuba Green by Cuba Paris

Or possibly even layering with citrus and/or other fresh notes might be of at least some help

Hello!

First, I totally agree to trying layering it. It's saved more than a few perfumes for me in my lifetime. If it's a fruity fragrance, try amber. If its woodsy trying throwing in a bit of citrus.

Next, if its very hot in your location, maybe waiting for the winter might help? I too own a few fragrances that smell way too sweet in the summer but chill out quite nicely in the winter. Especially if the notes are those of fruit that sometimes don't play nice with hot weather (berries come first to mind).

Last, you could sell or swap it. Sometimes getting some of your money back and moving on to a fragrance you do immensely love is the best option! Good luck! Feel free to let us know how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by Annagurl View Post
    Last, you could sell or swap it. Sometimes getting some of your money back and moving on to a fragrance you do immensely love is the best option! Good luck! Feel free to let us know how it goes!
    I was just going to write that! Maybe it's the newbies' way of thinking :-D *hi5*
    Personally I have no patience to experiment with layering fragrances. There are so many ready fragrances to discover out there, and just one nose / life. I'm just selling or exchanging mine. It's been working great since I discovered this option.