Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: high-end shampoo & conditioner

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    So, Shiny Beast, what products did you finally decide on?
    Right now Davines Minu & Paul Mitchell Lavender Mint are on the menu and I'm diggin' 'em, but I was at TJ Maxx the other day and lingered far too long around the hair stuff.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates
    Currently wearing: Oud Wood by Tom Ford

I think Aveda products are worth it (at least for me). I have truly unruly curly hair, and the only one that works is Aveda Curly line.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

I concur with others on Lush.

I have tried the Nexxus conditioner and liked it, but that's perhaps because I haven't tried other better products. I have tried Malin & Goetz, and wouldn't repurchase, left my hair too dry. I haven't tried anything from Aveeno, but they are my favourite drugstore brand for body washes.

There are a bunch of people (among family/friends) I know who never shampoo their hair, and they all have great hair. I think it's the genes rather than the product.

I'm wondering why Aventus shampoo and conditioner do not exist.

P.S. I have used L'Occitane (in 2015-16), they are/were quite good.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    There are a bunch of people (among family/friends) I know who never shampoo their hair, and they all have great hair. I think it's the genes rather than the product.
    Do they rinse it with plain water? Or with something other than shampoo?

I’m not old: I’m vintage.

My wife and I use Philip B shampoos. We generally alternate between these:

PBPA.jpgPBWT.jpg

For "event days":
    PBRA.jpg
    It's insanely expensive, but you don't use much, and there's nothing else like it.

As for conditioner, we've tried a zillion things, and none yet beats this:
    Neutrogena.jpg
    We also have a water treatment system, which can make a lot of difference. If you water is too hard or soft, shampoos and conditioners will be less effective.
    Currently wearing: White Lilac by Mary Chess

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post

For "event days":
    Fifty dollars for 12 ounces?!? <thud>

Those events would be limited to weddings and funerals. My own weddings and funeral.

I’m not old: I’m vintage.

Fifty dollars for 12 ounces?!? <thud>

Those events would be limited to weddings and funerals. My own weddings and funeral.
    That would be a great price: the Russian Amber Imperial is $160/12 oz.

As I said, "insanely expensive." But, it's not as if we use it every day. One jar lasts us for, like, a year. Anyway, I'm not recommending it: just saying I use it.

The Neutrogena—that, I recommend. At $6 for 6 oz., it's a bargain compared to high-end brands. It doesn't smell as good, but that's why we have fragrances.
    Currently wearing: White Lilac by Mary Chess

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Do they rinse it with plain water? Or with something other than shampoo?
    Either just plain water (my generation), or apply coconut hair oil before rinsing with plain water (people of my parents generation, but more so those from my grandparents' generation).

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    That would be a great price: the Russian Amber Imperial is $160/12 oz.
    I stand corrected. It was $50 for THREE ounces:

https://www.google.com/search?q=phil...w=1093&bih=460

Kotori, I've now tried the PHD and Timeless lines from Living Proof, and I was really disappointed by the PHD. It left my hair really dull and shine-free, though it did feel soft and well conditioned. But the Timeless line, unfortunately, was great; unfortunately because I just discovered they stopped making it! Ain't it always the way...

But there was one PHD product I really liked, a dry styling spray called Full Volume Blast. I don't normally use much product post-shampoo, but this stuff you just spray root-to-tip and then lift your hair in sections with your fingers, and it really pumped it up. Bonus: it smelled just like vetiver.

++++++++++++

So, Shiny Beast, what products did you finally decide on?

Sorry the PhD didn’t work out for you! I’ve seen the timeless line at TJMaxx lately, so maybe there’s hope on that. I wouldn’t have noticed much of a matte finish because I also usually apply a styling cream. I like PhD because it’s protein free, but I only use it once a week.

On other washes this past couple of weeks, I’ve been using this with decent results: https://www.target.com/p/as-i-am-coc...iABEgInePD_BwE

I agree on the Full Dry Volume Blast— I have a mini and plan to buy the full size soon!

Has anyone tried Briogeo at Sephora?
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

I stand corrected. It was $50 for THREE ounces
    Damn, that's some deep fleecing haha!

Something I'm still trying to sort out is if and when I should skip shampoo. My hurr definitely looks better when it's a little dirty, and rotating between Davines and PM it always smells clean even when it's not. Problem is that after three days, it's definitely dirty even if it looks and smells good, and if i used product it amplifies that dirty feeling. Those who skip shampooing, do you still use conditioner or just straight up rinse it and that's it, like done and done?
    "I drank what?" -Socrates
    Currently wearing: Oud Wood by Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    Those who skip shampooing, do you still use conditioner or just straight up rinse it and that's it, like done and done?
    I went from everyday shampooing to once or twice a week, but it took me a year to train my hair to it. I now don't use conditioner every time, because as you note, it makes it feel dirtier, sooner. I now use a leave-in conditioner or masque about twice a month, put it on the night before shampooing to let it work a while.

Just reducing the frequency of shampooing really improved my hair's dryness tendencies, so I'm not too fussed about conditioning.

I do find that high end shampoo/conditioner works much better with my hair. I use Alterna Caviar Moisture Replenishing Shampoo and Conditioner because I tend to have super dry skin and hair. This is the only shampoo/conditioner that I have found that really gives me needed moisture to my hair. I find the cheapie brands make my hair even drier even if they claim to be for added moisture. I use Davines Alchemic for Red Hair Shampoo and Conditioner on the alternate days. I have found that using higher end shampoo and conditioner really does make my color last much longer. I used to use much cheaper products and found that my red color faded much more drastically. If I am paying that much to have my hair colored, I am not using some cheap junk that basically strips it of much of the color and moisture. I also only wash my hair every three days (maybe every four if I can swing it). I find I need to use MUCH less of the higher quality shampoos and conditioners than I do of the cheaper products. I find that a little goes a long way with the higher end products I am using so I am purchasing them much less than I used to of the cheaper products.

Has anyone tried the Jack Black men's shampoo and conditioner? I thought about picking them up today.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

darkmatter

When it comes to shampoo, I've yet to find a high-end one that is any better than something I can pick up from a drugstore. My favorite one is John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Multi-tone. For conditioner, Davines is amazing. When I was blonde, I used the NouNou hair mask because I had some breakage, but currently I use their Melu conditioner and it's amazing. It works just as well as a hair mask without weighing my hair down at all. It might seem a bit pricey but you don't have to use very much - one tub will probably last me at least six months.

I'm not sure if they're considered "really" high-end, but I've become a fan of Kiehl's and L'Occitane hair care. Kiehl's Amino Acid shampoo/conditioner is fantastic - it smells like creamy coconut which makes it nice on vacation. I also use their Tea Tree Oil shampoo and conditioner and add tea tree oil to them.

L'Occitane has their Aromachologie line which is made with natural essential oils. Previously I enjoyed Aveda Men for many years but found it was leaving my hair a bit dry. I've not tried Kerastase products yet but have heard good things.

Quote Originally Posted by darkmatter View Post
    When it comes to shampoo, I've yet to find a high-end one that is any better than something I can pick up from a drugstore. My favorite one is John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Multi-tone. For conditioner, Davines is amazing. When I was blonde, I used the NouNou hair mask because I had some breakage, but currently I use their Melu conditioner and it's amazing. It works just as well as a hair mask without weighing my hair down at all. It might seem a bit pricey but you don't have to use very much - one tub will probably last me at least six months.
    Maybe it's just me tricking myself but I do notice a difference. I don't go for the expensive stuff but when I do, I have noticed a difference. Even when it comes to hair spray and texturizer and other hair products. But I'm pretty happy sticking with Pentene or Pro-V most of the time.

So far, did not not go for/choose beyond nor above the price range of Clear, Alverde (the higher end organic in house brand of German retail chain DM) and Schwarzkopf Professional, mostly because the results with each/either of these brands were already close to ideal results, without the need to spend more or to look further.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Maybe it's just me tricking myself but I do notice a difference. I don't go for the expensive stuff but when I do, I have noticed a difference. Even when it comes to hair spray and texturizer and other hair products. But I'm pretty happy sticking with Pentene or Pro-V most of the time.
    I have actually noticed cheaper shampoos stripping the red color out of my hair. I use a good, high end shampoo and I don't notice any red on the towel after my shower. Use the cheap stuff, and I get red streaks all over the towel. Maybe higher end is better for colored hair...seems to be less harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudburst2000 View Post
    I have actually noticed cheaper shampoos stripping the red color out of my hair. I use a good, high end shampoo and I don't notice any red on the towel after my shower. Use the cheap stuff, and I get red streaks all over the towel. Maybe higher end is better for colored hair...seems to be less harsh.
    I'm not very knowledgeable about this but I do know that the higher end stuff has less additives and preservatives. Not saying it's more natural but it has less junk in it.

darkmatter

Any natural shampoo I have tried always ends up making my hair look worse. They don't clean thoroughly enough to me. I tried this expensive stuff by Hair Story called New Wash that was supposed to be the best thing ever...I gave the bottle away it was so bad. For the record, I have extremely thick hair that's also unruly, so perhaps it would work on people with more manageable hair types.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: high-end shampoo &amp; conditioner

I recall this topic came on a Reddit thread. I wrote the following (paraphrased) when someone was trying homemade recipes/techniques for their hair and complaining Olaplex wasn't working:

Kerastaste - Elixir Ultime Oil Serum, Nutritive Mask for Severely Dry Hair (you only need seriously a small amount, half a walnut size for your entire head of hair and make sure you really rinse out), Nutritive Shampoo for Severely Dry Hair, and Specifique Shampoo for Sensitive Scalp about once a week.

Paul Mitchell - I love the Awapuhi Shampoo and The Detangler.

Brigeo - Don't Despair, Repair. Once a week long mask (1 hour or more)

Virtue
    - Restorative Treatment Mask

It's a 10 - Miracle Leave in Treatment Lite. Just a few sprays.

Tangle Teaser - get it. Helps with leave in treatments after washing hair.

Olaplex - you need to hear me out. I find the Shampoo and Conditioner from this line to be horrible for my hair. I've tried them several times and they do not work. What DOES work for me is No. 3. I use it as a pre-shampoo treatment. You may not be using it correctly if you're having issues. You need to apply to damp and clean hair. If you have product in your hair you will need to shampoo the product out first, then apply to towel dried hair. The bottle should have 5, count em 5, applications. I have past shoulder length hair that is thick and it lasts that long for me. Apply the Olaplex No 3 to clean and damp hair, tie or clamp up and place your hair under a shower cap. The Olaplex treatment MUST be kept damp. If you find areas of it drying out, take a spray bottle and spray water along your hairline. I usually keep it on for 40 minutes or up to an hour. Really really wash out, shampoo (using the silicon brush) and then I apply a deep conditioning mask and leave in another hour under the shower cap. I only do this about once a month as once a week is excessive. It helps with my grey hair and my ends.

Also, I find the Olaplex No. 6 cream is good if you mix it with a pump of hair oil, about a dime size amount of the cream and a pump of the hair oil, mix together in your hands and apply mid-length to the ends only.

VERB - The entire Ghost line is good. I use the shampoo, conditioner, the hair oil, and even the dry oil.

Drugstore surprise - Aussie Total Repair Miracle Hair Restoring oil. I use this as a pre-shampoo treatment. It's thick - I really apply a few pumps into my hair, let it sit an hour and then shampoo. I'm also going to concur on the Neutrogena Hair Repair Mask. Cheap and it really works.

If money wasn't an option - Sisley's Precious Hair Care Oil and their Hair Rituel range. I've been able to try a number of samples of the lines and OMG - night and day difference. Sigh.

You should really check out - Asian hair care products and hair oils/treatments.

- - - Updated - - -

Any natural shampoo I have tried always ends up making my hair look worse. They don't clean thoroughly enough to me. I tried this expensive stuff by Hair Story called New Wash that was supposed to be the best thing ever...I gave the bottle away it was so bad. For the record, I have extremely thick hair that's also unruly, so perhaps it would work on people with more manageable hair types.
    'Natural' shampoos, or what I call shampoos laden with loads of essential oils and allergens (for me), usually cause hives or severe itching and breakouts on my scalp due to allergic reactions. LUSH, Aveda, anything found at Whole Foods or stores similar are not even worth the experiment for me. Because my scalp is severely affected by the 'naturals' it means my hair and the production of hair oil for a healthy scalp are compromised to. I don't color my hair anymore, but when I did I recalled the 'natural' stuff stripped the color so fast. I know Aveda makes color depositing shampoos and conditioners, but so does John Freida for brunette and it outperforms the expensive Aveda.

Despite all my hemming about natural shampoos, I went ahead and ordered Klorane shampoo and conditioner because the ingredient list looks good for now. When it arrives and I try it, I'll report back.
    Something something....something....

Avatar picture taken at Kew Gardens.

darkmatter

Thanks for the awesome products breakdown, Kitty2Shoes, I'm taking plenty of notes. I've tried some of those; the Olaplex no. 3 treatment in particular worked well for me when I was lightening my hair a couple of years ago. I think I'll add it back to my routine. The John Frieda Brunette has been a longtime fav of mine. I've heard that Klorane hair products are good so I'm looking forward to reading your take on them.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for the awesome products breakdown, Kitty2Shoes, I'm taking plenty of notes. I've tried some of those; the Olaplex no. 3 treatment in particular worked well for me when I was lightening my hair a couple of years ago. I think I'll add it back to my routine. The John Frieda Brunette has been a longtime fav of mine. I've heard that Klorane hair products are good so I'm looking forward to reading your take on them.
    I ordered the Klorane from a European shop (with skincare products too) and it's taking it's sweet time over the Atlantic.

As for the Olaplex, I use it once a month now along with a super long deep conditioner. I choose a day I'm not really going out because it means 3 hours under the shower cap. I lost a LOT of my hair due to thyroid issues about 2 years ago and have been trying to repair and keep what I have. I went from having bald patches to hair past my shoulders in that time once my medication amounts got better. I'm aiming for bra-strap length hair.

darkmatter

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty2Shoes View Post
    As for the Olaplex, I use it once a month now along with a super long deep conditioner. I choose a day I'm not really going out because it means 3 hours under the shower cap. I lost a LOT of my hair due to thyroid issues about 2 years ago and have been trying to repair and keep what I have. I went from having bald patches to hair past my shoulders in that time once my medication amounts got better. I'm aiming for bra-strap length hair.
    I am sorry to hear that, but glad for you that it sounds like things are hopefully getting back on track! My Mom has Hashimoto's disease, so I understand how tricky it can be to get the thyroid levels balanced out. I will be testing an Oribe wave spray this week and if I like that, I may venture into trying their shampoo.

Basenotes Plus

I am sorry to hear that, but glad for you that it sounds like things are hopefully getting back on track! My Mom has Hashimoto's disease, so I understand how tricky it can be to get the thyroid levels balanced out. I will be testing an Oribe wave spray this week and if I like that, I may venture into trying their shampoo.
    I tried Oribe and it wasn't for me. At least with Kerastase the salon I went to at the time had someone trained to diagnose which of the Kerastase products I should use and I admit it took a while on getting the right conditioner for me. I miss using their fusio-dose too, there isn't a salon around where I live that carries it.

As for the thyroid - it was a lot at once. I was diagnosed with a goiter that was massive and growing into my chest. I really had no idea. It had to be removed because it literally had pushed my windpipe out of the way and was pushing up against my vocal chords. I was in shock and thought I was coughing all the time due to allergies and sinus stuff. Afterward it took a long time to get my meds sorts, but I'm much much much better and vowed to take care of my hair. So no heat on it except once in a blue moon, sleep with a satin sleep bonnet, no color, and really take care of it. Once it grows another 2 inches I'll be okay with a trim.

Basenotes Member mermaidsetparfum1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    In my fantasy world, where I start a product line, I have matching hair products for the edt's.
    I'll be your first customer.
    "So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."--F. Scott Fitzgerald

One of the best shampoo and conditioner i have used is the Smoothing Oil-Infused Shampoo & Conditioner by Kiehl's.It makes my hair smooth, shiny and adds volume. This is by far the best combination for dry frizzy hair. Highly Recommended!

I see the Philip B Russian Amber in my local SpaceNK it sells well.

Oribe Gold Lust for me plus the hair oil too.
    DONNA

Blog Entries

Giving Hairstory a whirl.
    "Once you label me, you negate me." --Søren Kierkegaard