Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
o

Default high-end shampoo & conditioner

What's the story with high end shampoo & conditioner? Are the ultra high-end products like Davines, B&B, Pureology, & Nexxus (and so on) absolutely worth the obnoxious prices? I'll admit that after leaving the salon (where they used an array of Davines products) my hair felt (and looked) damn good, and since we're on a frag forum it's worth mentioning it smelled very fucking good for a very long time after the fact. Afterwards I walked downtown to Nordy where I tried on some Tom Ford Oud Minerale, and the scent from the product in my hair lasted through a longish walk in the heat and ultimately outlasted the two sprays of TF OM, which is some pretty strong stuff.

When I got home I spent a stupid amount of time diving down hair care rabbit holes, so much so that my youtube algorithm is now suggesting me videos on narcissism, haha! What I found was an even more insanely partisan world of dialed-in product nerds and what looked like a fair amount of people shilling. Couldn't seem to land on anything even approaching a consensus as to what is best and/or why, and it actually kind of reminded me some of what I see in the fragrance world, haha, and knowing what I know about that, there are definitely some positions and ideas that people cling to that aren't well-founded or even necessarily true in an objective sense.

So what's the deal? Is the high-end stuff worth it's absurd price? Are there reliable gray markets? Can I use Sally's dupes and still expect a reasonably comparable degree of preservation of color and hair health? Sort me out.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

Banned

Default Re: high-end shampoo & conditioner

According to some of the women in my life, it is absolutely worth it. Personally, I do not have experience with the high end stuff.

Depends on the brand. Davines I did not rate at all they are not really that expensive.

I look for SLS free firstly as it makes my head itch.

Nexxus I have seen in TK Maxx and not interested me.

Now you want to talk expensive that will be Oribe especially the Gold Lush range 200mls shampoo around £47 or Christophe Robin.

Haircare is a very personal thing but cheap might as well wash in washing up liquid as far as I am concerned.

I like to swap around, so O&M, Kevin Murphy, Oribe and Christophe Robin. I have thick kinky coloured hair and these are the brands that work for me. I loved WEN but they stopped selling it in the UK. Styling products I hate sticky greasy feeling so go for Living Proof
    Last edited by donna255; 6th August 2019 at 08:17 AM.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Gris Clair by Serge Lutens

Wearing Perfume Right Now

In my fantasy world, where I start a product line, I have matching hair products for the edt's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    According to some of the women in my life, it is absolutely worth it. Personally, I do not have experience with the high end stuff.
    I hear ya' on that, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Depends on the brand. Davines I did not rate at all they are not really that expensive.

I look for SLS free firstly as it makes my hate itch.

Nexxus I have seen in TK Maxx and not interested me.

Now you want to talk expensive that will be Oribe especially the Gold Lush range 200mls shampoo around £47 or Christophe Robin.

Haircare is a very personal thing but cheap might as well wash in washing up liquid as far as I am concerned.

I like to swap around, so O&M, Kevin Murphy, Oribe and Christophe Robin. I have thick kinky coloured hair and these are the brands that work for me. I loved WEN but they stopped selling it in the UK. Styling products I hate sticky greasy feeling so go for Living Proof
    I appreciate the perspective here, and perhaps you have access to a better price on Davines. As a jumping off point, on Amazon a 250ML shampoo and conditioner would be almost $70 after tax; that's very expensive to me considering the size. I'm not at all familiar with the majority of products and brands and what I listed are names I've seen repeatedly mentioned and on a quick look appear to be considerably more expensive than what I'm used to seeing. It does seem like a very subjective thing though and there seems to be an awful lot of products (and opinions) that seem to cater to a wide variety of issues and that makes it kinda hard to figure out the right move. I'm starting to get the idea that it may be a trial and error type thing and I'm also starting to see the appeal of those subscription services that send out a bunch of trial sized products.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    In my fantasy world, where I start a product line, I have matching hair products for the edt's.
    And why not right? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Cosmetics, skincare, and hair care have been exploding recently, and it seems brands put more attention into those line than in perfumery.
    Not an expert here, but my impression is that there's no one size fits all, it's really about the effect one wants to achieve with the hair. Some expensive products are really good at producing special effects. Since I'm losing mine, I don't spend money on those products.

Hair keeps perfume really well, but there's no point in using haircare products for the purpose. One can spray perfume as well. that said, I suspect that L'Oreal, Estee Lauder, LMVH and so on are spending more money in their perfume formulas for skin and haircare than in most actual perfumes.

In terms of smell, my favorite shampoo is Kerastase bain oleo complexe, which does a good job at reproducing a warm woody sandalwood. Sadly $45 in the US (eur 20 in Europe). I wouldn't mind if L'oreal made a perfume out of it.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Cosmetics, skincare, and hair care have been exploding recently, and it seems brands put more attention into those line than in perfumery.
    Not an expert here, but my impression is that there's no one size fits all, it's really about the effect one wants to achieve with the hair. Some expensive products are really good at producing special effects. Since I'm losing mine, I don't spend money on those products.

Hair keeps perfume really well, but there's no point in using haircare products for the purpose. One can spray perfume as well. that said, I suspect that L'Oreal, Estee Lauder, LMVH and so on are spending more money in their perfume formulas for skin and haircare than in most actual perfumes.

In terms of smell, my favorite shampoo is Kerastase bain oleo complexe, which does a good job at reproducing a warm woody sandalwood. Sadly $45 in the US (eur 20 in Europe). I wouldn't mind if L'oreal made a perfume out of it.

cacio
    I'm guessing that some of ladies are having a laugh at the idea that skin/hair care indulgence is a newly burgeoning scene, but I also don't doubt the market may be enjoying an uptick; preying on insecurities is evergreen haha! Case in point, a pop-up cosmetic shop (Glossier) opened a couple weeks back in a bustling part of town and there was a line of at least a hundred ladies wrapping around the damn block!

Re: spraying hair with a fragrance - apparently that's not recommended because even though hair holds fragrance nicely it also allegedly dries out the hair. I of course have no idea as I'm a stranger in a strange land here haha!

Anyhow, I just don't want to be sucker and buy something because of a motivated (commissioned) seller or approach a potential product purchase with the problematic idea that "if it's expensive it must be good."

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Here I am with a bottle of Prell.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Sybaris by Antonio Puig

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Here I am with a bottle of Prell.
    That's where I was a couple days back. Trying to sort out what's what is no mean feat! Not for nothing but one of the constants I've come across is Kirkland brand products (Costco) seem to be inexpensive and well liked, and there's speculation they're made by Pureology for Kirkland.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    That's where I was a couple days back. Trying to sort out what's what is no mean feat! Not for nothing but one of the constants I've come across is Kirkland brand products (Costco) seem to be inexpensive and well liked, and there's speculation they're made by Pureology for Kirkland.
    I usually like minimal/no fragrance hair and body care unless it matches my scent of the day.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Sybaris by Antonio Puig

Basenotes Plus

You can go down the review rabbithole at MakeupAlley. Their reviewers are generally reliable, and easy to sort by whatever criteria you wish. And any shills are pretty easy to spot. Here's the shampoo category sorted by brand, and then you can further refine by ratings:

https://www.makeupalley.com/product/...K=BRAND&SO=ASC

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    You can go down the review rabbithole at MakeupAlley. Their reviewers are generally reliable, and easy to sort by whatever criteria you wish. And any shills are pretty easy to spot. Here's the shampoo category sorted by brand, and then you can further refine by ratings:

https://www.makeupalley.com/product/...K=BRAND&SO=ASC
    Thanks, that's helpful.

edit: Yup, that's the ticket.
    edit2: Lots of high ratings for Kirkland brand and more speculation it's made by Pureology

[QUOTE=Shiny Beast;4684714]I hear ya' on that, haha!

I appreciate the perspective here, and perhaps you have access to a better price on Davines. As a jumping off point, on Amazon a 250ML shampoo and conditioner would be almost $70 after tax; that's very expensive to me considering the size. I'm not at all familiar with the majority of products and brands and what I listed are names I've seen repeatedly mentioned and on a quick look appear to be considerably more expensive than what I'm used to seeing. It does seem like a very subjective thing though and there seems to be an awful lot of products (and opinions) that seem to cater to a wide variety of issues and that makes it kinda hard to figure out the right move. I'm starting to get the idea that it may be a trial and error type thing and I'm also starting to see the appeal of those subscription services that send out a bunch of trial sized products.

WOW! Davines here in the UK you can get for £8-12.50 in smaller chemists.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Gris Clair by Serge Lutens

I have fine wavy Caucasian hair. I have a fairly complicated routine, with a combination of high-end, low-end, and medium-priced products. My routine is geared towards hair health and allowing the waves to be wavy. I find that I can use inexpensive products if they are silicone-free and low-sulfate. The high-end stuff I love is:

-Devacurl Wave Maker (styling cream)
    -Devacurl Coconut Cream Styler (moisturizing styling cream— smells great)
    -Devacurl Melt into Moisture Mask (smells like matcha)

-Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Shampoo (silicone-free, protein-free, smells like grapefruit)
    -Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Conditioner (silicone-free, protein-free, smells like grapefruit)
    -Living Proof Flex Hairspray (silicone-free, smells like grapefruit)
    -Living Proof Full Dry Volume Blast (silicone-free, smells like grapefruit)
    -Living Proof No Frizz Nourishing Styling Cream (silicone-free, smells like grapefruit and green tea)

I can also sub in with some drugstore brands like:

-Garnier Pure Clean Shampoo & Conditioner (smells a bit like DKNY Be Delicious)
    -Not Your Mother’s Naturals Tahitian Gardenia & Mango Curl Defining Shampoo & Conditioner
    -Shea Moisture Fine Curly products

My favorite hair gel is cheap:
    -Got2B Spiked Up hair gel

And while I have an expensive Living Proof Curl mousse, it’s just OK, and I prefer Herbal Essences Totally Twisted, which smells like nasty berries, but works great.

- - - Updated - - -

More to your question, I’ve recently switched from Bumble & Bumble to go silicone-free, but their products are absolutely worth the prices. The Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil line is magic.

Pureology used to be amazing 10 or 15 years ago, and I especially bought bottle after bottle of their root lift and thermal protection spray. But since they were bought by L’Oreal, they’re just overpriced versions of what they have at the drugstore. The formulas have totally changed.

Nexxus is the same story as Pureology, except it’s owned by Unilever. The old Therappe Shampoo and Headdress leave-in got me through some tough times after I dyed my hair platinum blonde years ago, but those products are totally reformulated now.

I haven’t tried Davines, but my dearest friend swears by their products. She pays $200 for a haircut, so take it for what it’s worth.

I’d say start with what you love, and if it gets too rich for your blood, learn about ingredients to find dupes. That’s how I found the drugstore stuff that works.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: Dune by Christian Dior

Basenotes Plus

Kotori, thanks so much for the detailed reviews. I also have fine/wavy hair, which seems to be losing wave and gloss as it ages (and turns gray).

I just ordered travel sizes of the Living Proof PHD you recommended, plus samples of their "Timeless" line. I'll let you know how it works out for me! It's expensive for sure, but I figure even at retail of $25 for 8 oz, that works out to about $2/shampoo, which is tolerable. And I see quite a few full sizes on eBay at less than retail. (I see quite a few complaints on MakeupAlley about the smell, but I love the smell of grapefruit, even fairly synthetic stuff.)

ShinyB, do come back and tell us what you wind up going with.

Without commenting on the relative merits, Kotori noted that Pureology is owned by L'Oreal, so it would seem strange that they also do store brands rather than selling through their own entry-level brands (like L'oreal, Garnier, or Carol's daughter). Other upmarket hair brands owned by L'Oreal are Redken and Kerastase. More likely, Kirkland copies Pureology and what not. And I wonder whether Pureology's old formulas have been recycled in one of the upmarket brands.

cacio

I think there is a big difference. I have long-ish hair and I have a couple bottles of the high end stuff. I only use them twice a week though. Helps keep my hair softer and healthier. On the other days, I usually use Pantene or Tre Semme. They're pretty good, too.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    My favorite hair gel is cheap:
    -Got2B Spiked Up hair gel

And while I have an expensive Living Proof Curl mousse, it’s just OK, and I prefer Herbal Essences Totally Twisted, which smells like nasty berries, but works great.

I’d say start with what you love, and if it gets too rich for your blood, learn about ingredients to find dupes. That’s how I found the drugstore stuff that works.
    Good advice and thanks for all the detail! I've used B&B Seaweed before and I might circle back to that one in time. Beyond S&C, I Iike B&B Sumotech and Davines This Is A Sea Salt Spray; that's my tried & true 1-2 combo.

ShinyB, do come back and tell us what you wind up going with.
    I just stopped by the salon that did mah hurr and picked up some Davines Minu S&C; I'm either mad charming or the stylist took pity on me and gave me a price break. Still spendy AF, but I did just drop close to what Kotori's friend paid on my beachy surfer look with some caramel partials. Crazy how much goes into looking like your not doing anything haha!

The reviews on makeupalley seemed to be good for Sally's dupe of Paul Mitchell's Lavender & Lime so I think I'm also gonna grab some of that when I get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Without commenting on the relative merits, Kotori noted that Pureology is owned by L'Oreal, so it would seem strange that they also do store brands rather than selling through their own entry-level brands (like L'oreal, Garnier, or Carol's daughter). Other upmarket hair brands owned by L'Oreal are Redken and Kerastase. More likely, Kirkland copies Pureology and what not. And I wonder whether Pureology's old formulas have been recycled in one of the upmarket brands.

cacio
    Yeah for sure, that makes sense to me also. I'm yet to try it so I can't speak to the quality, I'm just parroting what I've read, and I've seen that Kirkland/Pureology thing on a bunch of different forums. It does have a gang of high ratings on makeupalley though and I'm not as concerned with pedigree as I am with results. I'll probably pickup bottles of the S&C next time I'm at Costco; can always return them if they're bunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I think there is a big difference. I have long-ish hair and I have a couple bottles of the high end stuff. I only use them twice a week though. Helps keep my hair softer and healthier. On the other days, I usually use Pantene or Tre Semme. They're pretty good, too.
    That's where I'm at, like a medium longish length, just long enough to put into a small ponytail if need be. I like the idea of rotating, i think I'm gonna take a similar approach.
    Last edited by Shiny Beast; 7th August 2019 at 08:57 AM.

I'm pretty sure that hair products are included in the "try and see" chapter of the textbook. Over the years I've used many "name" products like Fekkai, Paul Mitchell, and Bumble &Bumble, etc...but for the last year or two I've been trying to find and use shampoos with less "stuff" in them, and my hair's never looked better. I recently discovered Pantene's Micellar Gentle Cleansing Water shampoo, and it's great (cheapo, too). All I want from a shampoo is to clean my hair well/gently, and not dry it out.
    I figure what I do AFTER the shampoo is more important, so I use Moroccan Oil Conditioner and the actual Moroccan Oil. LOVE both of these, and I really dig the smell; price-wise Moroccan Oil products are mid-range. My personal feeling is that a lot of higher-end products don't have anything special other than their label. That being said, if you like something that they used in a salon why not give it a try? And Sephora will give you a sample of anything, so you might cruise their shelves to sample Living Proof, B&B, Drybar, Kerastase among others. Happy sudsing and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Aitchellsmell View Post
    My personal feeling is that a lot of higher-end products don't have anything special other than their label. That being said, if you like something that they used in a salon why not give it a try? And Sephora will give you a sample of anything, so you might cruise their shelves to sample Living Proof, B&B, Drybar, Kerastase among others. Happy sudsing and good luck!
    Yeah, that's what I did. Went back and picked up the S&C the stylist used. Good tip on Sephora, I didn't know they offer samples of hair products.

Basenotes Plus

I have fine wavy Caucasian hair. I have a fairly complicated routine, with a combination of high-end, low-end, and medium-priced products. My routine is geared towards hair health and allowing the waves to be wavy. I find that I can use inexpensive products if they are silicone-free and low-sulfate. The high-end stuff I love is:

-Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Shampoo (silicone-free, protein-free, smells like grapefruit)
    -Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Conditioner (silicone-free, protein-free, smells like grapefruit)
    -Living Proof Flex Hairspray (silicone-free, smells like grapefruit)
    -Living Proof Full Dry Volume Blast (silicone-free, smells like grapefruit)
    -Living Proof No Frizz Nourishing Styling Cream (silicone-free, smells like grapefruit and green tea)
    The Living Proof line destroyed my scalp and hair - in fact you might see a review by me on MakeupAlley about it!

Lines I consider 'drugstore': Nexxus, Redken, L'Oreal, Paul Mitchell, anything you can find at Walgreens/CVS/even Harris Teeter grocery stores
    Lines I consider 'luxe' or high end: Oribe, Kerastase, Unite, Sisley, Philip B, Aveda, OUAI (Salon only or sold at Nordstroms/Selfridges/etc...)

Line I won't touch with a 20 foot pole: LUSH haircare

Ones to consider: Shiseido Tsubaki line, Ichikami - Kracie, Moist - Diane, Ryo, (Korean/Japanese brands)

I will preface my response by stating there are great shampoos and conditioners and both the drugstore prices and the high end prices. There are crap low end and crap high end (just like perfumes!). On a day to day basis I do well with some of the Paul Mitchell line. My favorite products are from Kerastase but the markup in the States is absolutely outrageous. I purchased extra bottles in the UK before returning the States and wish I picked up more! My hairstylists matched up products to what my hair needed. I also had take home fusio-dose treatments in-between appointments.

When I was pregnant and stopped coloring my hair completely, my hair texture and needs completely changed. Still unwilling to shell out for the Kerastase costs in the US I tried VERB and really enjoyed it. I also received a generous sample of Sisley's new haircare line (omg the cost is outrageous) but my hair felt and looked amazing for the time I used it.

Fast-foward to now. I have thyroid issues, my hair is thinning and falling out due to post-partum also tied up with the thyroid factor. My once super thick amazing hair looks scraggly and I'm trying to keep what I have. I do use Olaplex No. 3 at home and once a week treatments to help nourish the scalp and strengthen my hair. I want to keep my hair. I hate that I had bald patches in areas for a while and even though hair has grown back, it stays short, especially at the temples. So for me, if a luxe hair care product and treatment helps me retain my hair and prevent hair fall - take my money!

I rarely, if ever, use heat on my hair. I air dry it for the most part. I do use oils on it - Kerastase, VERB, and a Paul Mitchell one. All are great, but have different results. I even admit I wear my hair up in a scrunch to help protect from breakage.
    Something something....something....
    Currently wearing: Battaniye by Pekji

Seems there may be more tiers to this racket than I was initially aware of; why am I not surprised haha!

Kotori, thanks so much for the detailed reviews. I also have fine/wavy hair, which seems to be losing wave and gloss as it ages (and turns gray).

I just ordered travel sizes of the Living Proof PHD you recommended, plus samples of their "Timeless" line. I'll let you know how it works out for me! It's expensive for sure, but I figure even at retail of $25 for 8 oz, that works out to about $2/shampoo, which is tolerable. And I see quite a few full sizes on eBay at less than retail. (I see quite a few complaints on MakeupAlley about the smell, but I love the smell of grapefruit, even fairly synthetic stuff.
    Hi Cook.bot! The smells range from green tea and grapefruit to play-doh and grapefruit, from my experience. The Flex hairspray has a particularly play-doh-centric smell. I like the smell of the PhD line and the no frizz line.

I used a clarifying shampoo before starting the whole silicone-free thing so I got rid of build-up that way. And I would recommend that approach. I used a swimmer’s shampoo for that clarifying wash. Also, I tend to buy my Living Proof and DevaCurl during sales and specials at Ulta and Sephora. And I confess that I only use it 1-2 times per week because I alternate it with whatever I have from my drugstore list—currently Not Your Mother’s Naturals.

Good advice and thanks for all the detail! I've used B&B Seaweed before and I might circle back to that one in time. Beyond S&C, I Iike B&B Sumotech and Davines This Is A Sea Salt Spray; that's my tried & true 1-2 combo.

I just stopped by the salon that did mah hurr and picked up some Davines Minu S&C; I'm either mad charming or the stylist took pity on me and gave me a price break. Still spendy AF, but I did just drop close to what Kotori's friend paid on my beachy surfer look with some caramel partials. Crazy how much goes into looking like your not doing anything haha!
    Nice! Haven’t tried that salt spray; maybe I’ll give it a go when I finish my B&B one. In your note above about how much goes into looking like you’re not doing anything, you just described the entire French beauty aesthetic! “I’d like a haircut, but don’t make it look like I just got a haircut...”

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty2Shoes View Post
    The Living Proof line destroyed my scalp and hair - in fact you might see a review by me on MakeupAlley about it!
    Oh no! That’s crazy! That happened to me once with a scalp treatment from Ouidad! I found a discussion board about the issue at Sephora.com: https://community.sephora.com/t5/Bes...nd/m-p/2147570. Apparently it’s being caused by a sensitivity to a preservative: methylisothiazolinone (and its chemical cousins).

Line I won't touch with a 20 foot pole: LUSH haircare
    Re: LUSH— Agreed!

Ones to consider: Shiseido Tsubaki line, Ichikami - Kracie, Moist - Diane, Ryo, (Korean/Japanese brands)
    I was looking into some of those lines. I’m intrigued by various Taubaki (camellia) products. What has been your experience?

I rarely, if ever, use heat on my hair. I air dry it for the most part. I do use oils on it - Kerastase, VERB, and a Paul Mitchell one. All are great, but have different results. I even admit I wear my hair up in a scrunch to help protect from breakage.
    I’m the same way. I use a little bit of heat in the form of a hair dryer with diffuser about twice a week to help jumpstart the air drying process and cast my gel or mousse. I use The Ordinary’s marula oil on my hair on nights before I wash it, mostly in the winter. And I have a whole bunch of scrunchies!
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: Dune by Christian Dior

That's where I'm at, like a medium longish length, just long enough to put into a small ponytail if need be. I like the idea of rotating, i think I'm gonna take a similar approach.
    I've found that just by using the high end stuff only a few times a week will drastically increase the health of my hair. And it lasts forever if I'm using it sparingly.

not right, in the head

....................................... Central PA
    Blog Entries

I don't think about hair care all that much. I use Finola purple shampoo a few times a month to tone down the brassiness I get, after I color / bleach my hair. Biolage products work pretty well on my gnarly roots. They smell nice, too. I have long hair so, conditioners are more of a detangling agent - the thicker the product, the better. And, I never blow dry my hair.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/468...ilk?highlight= my for sale thread...

Grunge is dead... Long live Grunge...

Nice! Haven’t tried that salt spray; maybe I’ll give it a go when I finish my B&B one. In your note above about how much goes into looking like you’re not doing anything, you just described the entire French beauty aesthetic! “I’d like a haircut, but don’t make it look like I just got a haircut...”
    The sumotech and sea salt kinda make my hair look dirty even when it’s squeaky clean. I see people saying they skip days between washing hair and I just can’t do that as I gym it up and mah hurr would end up looking and smelling like a werewolf! Re: the sea salt spray, it’s very comparable to the B&B, check it out for sure if ya’ wanna mix it up.

I've found that just by using the high end stuff only a few times a week will drastically increase the health of my hair. And it lasts forever if I'm using it sparingly.
    Sparingly is the trick! I tend to go overboard with the conditioner, but the cost is gonna force me to slow my roll haha! Btw, I see that Mitch quote. It’s rare when someone picks up on it, but when they do you know you’re in good company! Alright.

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    I don't think about hair care all that much.
    Yeah me neither *nervously lookin’ around.

Sparingly is the trick! I tend to go overboard with the conditioner, but the cost is gonna force me to slow my roll haha!
    I go sparingly on the conditioner. Not for economy, but I fee like too much of it and it makes my hair get oily faster.

Basenotes Junkie

What I found about shampoos that cost 5x+ times more than shampoos from grocery store is that they also last a lot more! You need less shampoo to wash your hair - the ones sold in grocery stores are heavily watered down.

Quote Originally Posted by Zizzy View Post
    What I found about shampoos that cost 5x+ times more than shampoos from grocery store is that they also last a lot more! You need less shampoo to wash your hair - the ones sold in grocery stores are heavily watered down.
    True. Never going back to the cheap, two dollar shampoos. You squeeze the bottle out into your palm and it's just a puddle that spills everywhere, like water.

Basenotes Plus

Kotori, I've now tried the PHD and Timeless lines from Living Proof, and I was really disappointed by the PHD. It left my hair really dull and shine-free, though it did feel soft and well conditioned. But the Timeless line, unfortunately, was great; unfortunately because I just discovered they stopped making it! Ain't it always the way...

But there was one PHD product I really liked, a dry styling spray called Full Volume Blast. I don't normally use much product post-shampoo, but this stuff you just spray root-to-tip and then lift your hair in sections with your fingers, and it really pumped it up. Bonus: it smelled just like vetiver.

++++++++++++

So, Shiny Beast, what products did you finally decide on?