Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Finding vintages plus suggestions

So interesting findings yesterday. My little sample of vintage Egoiste turned up. I had current (2017) Egoiste on one arm and vintage on my other for the last two days.

The result from this was my partner liking the current version better.

I can 100% smell a difference between them in the topnotes. Vintage is sharper and a little more interesting when initially sprayed but after an hour my nose can't tell the difference other than current is stronger. If anything, vintage is slightly less powdery.

Overall, I would probably have to choose current over vintage after taking into account performance and price.

How likely am I to enjoy concentree more than the two I've now tried?

Quote Originally Posted by Forrester View Post
    So interesting findings yesterday. My little sample of vintage Egoiste turned up. I had current (2017) Egoiste on one arm and vintage on my other for the last two days.

The result from this was my partner liking the current version better.

I can 100% smell a difference between them in the topnotes. Vintage is sharper and a little more interesting when initially sprayed but after an hour my nose can't tell the difference other than current is stronger. If anything, vintage is slightly less powdery.

Overall, I would probably have to choose current over vintage after taking into account performance and price.

How likely am I to enjoy concentree more than the two I've now tried?
    I have a similar opinion on Egoiste to you, except I think the vintage is the more powdery one of the two to my nose. That said I own neither of them right now and only have the Concentree. I much prefer the balance of notes in this and wear it for myself on cool nights or in cooler seasons. I'm particularly fond of the rosewood note and the hint of cinnamon I detect in it as well. Wonderful stuff. Just such a shame it's not available now.
    Currently wearing: Casbah by Robert Piguet

Also adding any Jacques Bogart fragrances available in the vintage formulations.

If vintage, these fragrances do no cost much additionally unlike the ones from pricier fragrance lines and even if only available in their current formulations, in either/both cases, these fragrance provide a quite array of notes and styles worth venturing into blind buys-since they remain affordable, decent performance and good value for money at once.

Been a while since replying - I've unfortunately been in hospital.

While in, I received two samples. Firstly, a sample bottle from very early on for Gianfranco Ferre. This one opens up very citrus-like but not like modern fresh overused citrus options. Interesting smell that lasts about 20 minutes on me before it gets into a lovely leather smell for hours. After maybe 4-5 hours, it smells slightly mossy but not in the same way Patou pour homme did to me. Overall, this one is a good one that I will enjoy using.

Secondly, not vintage but I received a sample of L'air Du Desert Marocain. Very amber, sweet, unisex to me. Haven't tried it for a day so reserve further judgement.

I'm still waiting on some more vintage samples and just missed out on an Egoiste concentree sample bottle.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by Forrester View Post
    Been a while since replying - I've unfortunately been in hospital.

While in, I received two samples. Firstly, a sample bottle from very early on for Gianfranco Ferre. This one opens up very citrus-like but not like modern fresh overused citrus options. Interesting smell that lasts about 20 minutes on me before it gets into a lovely leather smell for hours. After maybe 4-5 hours, it smells slightly mossy but not in the same way Patou pour homme did to me. Overall, this one is a good one that I will enjoy using.

Secondly, not vintage but I received a sample of L'air Du Desert Marocain. Very amber, sweet, unisex to me. Haven't tried it for a day so reserve further judgement.

I'm still waiting on some more vintage samples and just missed out on an Egoiste concentree sample bottle.
    Patou Pour Homme (1980) and Gianfranco Ferre for Man go together well in rotation.

L'Air Du Desert Marocain has a lot of fans. I never got into it myself.

I like Egoiste a little more than Egoiste Concentree, but I'm a big fan of both. I like the current version of Egoiste. Vintage bottles of Egoiste don't all smell the same. In some cases, vintage bottles and the current stuff can smell a lot alike.

Bummer about being hospitalized. A did a little time in one recently myself.