Code of Conduct

Default Finding vintages plus suggestions

Hello all,

This will be a two prong question. First up, I'd like some advice in how to find good examples of vintage perfumes? I'm specifically looking for vintage Egoiste or concentree but being in Australia, I'm having a very hard time.

Secondly, I'd like some good vintage suggestions to look for decants or bottled examples. I'm quite new to the frangrance world but can say so far with current/modern, my two favourite are Egoiste and a close call between Dior Homme intense and a lucky bottle of Dior Homme Parfum I got from a shop.

Other ones I don't mind are Serge Loutens Datura noir, and Acca Kappa 1869 if they actually lasted better than an hour on me. A few I haven't liked are Vetiver (Guerlain) which makes me feel sick, Antaeus by Chanel, and Aventus by Creed.

Thank you for any help finding Vintage Egoiste and vintage in general, and for any suggestions for me to try!

Josh

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Default Re: Finding vintages plus suggestions

Vintage Egoiste has "Eau de Toilette" printed on the bottle above "Chanel."

Another fragrance to try is Romeo Gigli:

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121379.html

Thank you Bavard for your reply - I'm very aware on how to spot a vintage Egoiste, just struggling to find one here in Australia.

I'll order a sample of your suggested fragrance ��

Is Australia known for intercepting perfume shipments?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Forrester View Post
    Secondly, I'd like some good vintage suggestions to look for decants or bottled examples.
    Derby
    Patou Pour homme
    Or Black
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Derby
    Patou Pour homme
    Or Black
    Derby and Patou Pour Homme are good choices but they're going to be expensive.

I would suggest trying Habit Rouge and Heritage from Guerlain.

Other suggestions that I have include:
    -Gucci Pour Homme
    -Gucci Nobile
    -Balenciaga Pour Homme
    -Creed Bois du Portugal
    -Creed Baie de Genievre
    -Creed Vintage Tabarome
    -Dior Fahrenheit
    -Chanel Egoiste/Egoiste Cologne Cocentree
    -Chanel Pour Monsieur/Pour Monsieur Concentree
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Is Australia known for intercepting perfume shipments?
    Not that I know of - just never see anything already here, and a few people are reluctant to send to us.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Derby
    Patou Pour homme
    Or Black
    Thank you! I'll look into these!

Can you explain what your thoughts on these are?

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Derby and Patou Pour Homme are good choices but they're going to be expensive.

I would suggest trying Habit Rouge and Heritage from Guerlain.

Other suggestions that I have include:
    -Gucci Pour Homme
    -Gucci Nobile
    -Balenciaga Pour Homme
    -Creed Bois du Portugal
    -Creed Baie de Genievre
    -Creed Vintage Tabarome
    -Dior Fahrenheit
    -Chanel Egoiste/Egoiste Cologne Cocentree
    -Chanel Pour Monsieur/Pour Monsieur Concentree
    Thank you for your suggestions - lots of reading and sample ordering material.

I have got a sample of Dior Fahrenheit and it doesn't quite do anything for me - neither here nor there. It's not bad but doesn't suit me I don't think.

Some good suggestions. In general, it seems you like darker and sweeter perfumes. The style is actually more modern (Egoiste being perhaps the first one in the style), most vintage stuff tends to be much less sweet and more spicy/woody. That said, I concur that many Guerlains have a certain vanillic sweetness that may resonate, like said Habit rouge or heritage, but also Jicky and Mouchoir de Monsieur (these last two are fresher but have sweetish vanilla and tonka. Ungaro II is also in the style, and cheaper than the Guerlains).

If you turn your attention to modern niche, you'll probably find many things you like in the woody and gourmand categories (eg Lutens like Santal Majuscule and Jeux de Peau, Lubin Korrigan and Idole, perhaps even Tauer Air du desert marocain).

cacio

So I just bought a 10ml sample of vintage Patou pour homme. Excited for it to arrive! Damn expensive.

As I'm fairly new to fragrances, I haven't worked out everything I'm into. For example, I wouldn't discount woody scents - woodworking is a hobby of mine and there are quite a lot of timbers that smell wonderful to me.

Another thing - I was in Europe recently and while in France tried a few Guerlains, around 10 or so. Can't say I loved any. But in saying so, I picked up random ones without specifics in mind.

Any suggestions on a place for vintage samples that send to Australia? (And modern, but trying to avoid talking about that here).

So I just bought a 10ml sample of vintage Patou pour homme. Excited for it to arrive! Damn expensive.
    Congrats on your decant. Do share your thoughts on this one.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Hi Forrester,
    What is your price-range?
    Martin
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    Hi Forrester,
    What is your price-range?
    Martin
    Hi Martin! I'd say give or take $400ish AUD (~270USD) but that's for some very special fragrance plus I'd have to love the sample before I invested that. For reference, most I've actually spent is around $200 AUD. Again, this could all be a mute point if I found my grail.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Congrats on your decant. Do share your thoughts on this one.
    Will do! May take a while to arrive but I'll report back

Hi Martin! I'd say give or take $400ish AUD (~270USD) but that's for some very special fragrance plus I'd have to love the sample before I invested that. For reference, most I've actually spent is around $200 AUD. Again, this could all be a mute point if I found my grail.
    Sounds good! You have a sensible approach t'wards it. I'll round up a few suspects and get back to you

Sounds good! You have a sensible approach t'wards it. I'll round up a few suspects and get back to you
    Martin knows the market, and loves the classics. I bet he could set someone up nice for 270 USD.

Martin, here's one of your lists:

From the top of my head, here's my vtg list:

1. Polo (warner and cosmair) 1978
    2. Aramis Cologne 1965
    3. Trussardi Uomo 1983
    4. Kouros (ritz, parfums corp, sanofi) 1981
    5. Francesco Smalto 1987
    6. Hugo Boss 1986
    7. Lacoste (sofipar) 1984
    8. Adidas Classic (beecham) 1986
    9. Givenchy Gentleman 1974
    10. Paco Rabanne Pour Homme 1973
    11. VC & A Tsar 1989
    12. Azzaro Pour Homme 1978
    13. Davidoff 1986
    14. Hermés Eau De Cologne (called Eau d'Orange Verte today) 1979
    15. Puig Quorum 1982

......and a whoooole lot more! Thanks.

/martin

Thank you for some more added to the list to discover. Over the next day or so I will update with a quick sentence on a few fragrances I've tried in order for others to better help guide me

Martin knows the market, and loves the classics. I bet he could set someone up nice for 270 USD.

Martin, here's one of your lists:
    Thanks, Bavard, for the nice words and for posting the list!

While we wait for my sample of Patou pour homme (and also now I have a 10ml sample of vintage Egoiste on it's way), thought I might give some background on scents I've tried modern and vintage to get an idea of what may suit me.

In no particular order:

1. Cool Water - I was actually introduced to fragrances about 17 years ago or so (I'm quite young) and this was what started things. I very much like this scent and still have a bottle now
    2. Versace Man - given as a gift maybe 12 years ago. I actually like it despite it smelling like sugary tobacco to me. I'm not a smoker.
    3. Guerlain Vetiver - don't like, it actually makes me feel sick sometimes. Lemony lime green smell.
    4. Creed Aventus - I don't hate it but I have trouble getting it out of my nose. Doesn't smell like anything that particularly makes me want more.
    5. Dior homme parfum/intense/original - tried all. Love the intriguing smell of parfum, kind of reminds me of a slight dark mystery haha?? Intense is delicious, dessert smelling but still has a nice background smell. These two are great, I can't where parfum too heavily without comments. The original homme is okay, I didn't get good performance and it's kind of a jacl of all, master of none for me.
    6. Floris Santal - It's just okay. Too powdery for me.
    7. Dior Fahrenheit - It's okay, not good enough to buy more for me. Leather petrol smell?
    8. Acca Kappa 1869 - smells quite nice actually. Doesn't last on me at all though. Leathery citrus?
    9. Tom Ford Tuscan leather - too old leather smelling for me. Wouldn't be able to pull it off, smells like leather chair that's 60 years old.
    10. Searge Lutens Datura Noir - kinda girly but I like it. Reminds me of being under a hot sun on a tropical holiday. Lasts a few hours on me.
    11. Chanel Anteus - Again, too powdery smelling.
    12. Heritage by Guerlain - powdery and something in it tickles my nose too much.
    13. Green Irish Tweed - pretty good, smells like a green version of Cool Water to me.
    14. Guerlain Shalimar - too old lady smelling.
    15. I have NOT got the cologne, but use Trumpers Sandalwood skin food and like the smell.

I'm a confused person! Maybe I should also post this in modern section to get modern suggestions as well as the lovely vintage suggestions. My issue is I don't want all my fragrances smelling 90% the same!

Trumpers Sandalwood and Egoiste are similar, both nice.

Patou Pour Homme might be underwhelming - it strikes different people differently.

Antaeus and Dior Homme are two of the fragrances I wear the most.

The verdict is in for patou pour homme. Smelling the bottle, love it. Put it on, love it. This fragrance does not hurt my sense of smell at all.

I have no idea where the thought came from and can't recall it at all, but I could swear I smelled this on someone when I was 5 or so (90s). It's hard for me to explain what it smells like to me as I have limited experience. I can smell some sort of wood and a nice smelling leather, but can smell a lot of other things too. A bit of spice, and a forest floor or something! My only concern with this fragrance is now I want more and it's too difficult or expensive on ebay etc to provide.

In other news, I think I'll be getting a small sample of Gianfranco Ferre for Men next.

The verdict is in for patou pour homme. Smelling the bottle, love it. Put it on, love it. This fragrance does not hurt my sense of smell at all.

I have no idea where the thought came from and can't recall it at all, but I could swear I smelled this on someone when I was 5 or so (90s). It's hard for me to explain what it smells like to me as I have limited experience. I can smell some sort of wood and a nice smelling leather, but can smell a lot of other things too. A bit of spice, and a forest floor or something! My only concern with this fragrance is now I want more and it's too difficult or expensive on ebay etc to provide.

In other news, I think I'll be getting a small sample of Gianfranco Ferre for Men next.
    Gianfranco Ferre for Men has some notes in common with Patou Pour Homme.

Another fragrance to try is Dior Jules. I love Patou Pour Homme. I might love Jules even more. Patou Pour Homme was more impressive and engrossing at first, but Jules has grown on me more.

With Gianfranco Ferre for Men, I never liked the bottle I acquired as much as the sample I'd had. Both versions are nice, but the right bottle of this could really hit the spot. Based on the labeling, etc, the bottles my sample came from and my bottle look the same. Some bottles age better than others.

For Jules, I've only bought old bottles on eBay, and never tried the current version, but I've heard it's still great from reliable sources. They actually said it's better than older Jules, which of course I didn't believe, because it sounded too good to be true, and if Jules is better than vintage Jules, it would be the best fragrance in the history of the world. I'll have to try a tester if I come across one (which I think would have to be in France).

Default Finding vintages plus suggestions

Nice! I love PPH. It's all about the oakmoss which is not just used as a basenote in it, but is a prominent note from start to finish. If you have ever smelled oakmoss essential oil/absolute, you'll know exactly what I mean. That's your mossy earthy damp forest floor.

When was the last year of vintage Egoiste?

Also, is EDT also printed above Chanel on the box or just the bottle?

Gianfranco Ferre for Men has some notes in common with Patou Pour Homme.

Another fragrance to try is Dior Jules. I love Patou Pour Homme. I might love Jules even more. Patou Pour Homme was more impressive and engrossing at first, but Jules has grown on me more.

With Gianfranco Ferre for Men, I never liked the bottle I acquired as much as the sample I'd had. Both versions are nice, but the right bottle of this could really hit the spot. Based on the labeling, etc, the bottles my sample came from and my bottle look the same. Some bottles age better than others.

For Jules, I've only bought old bottles on eBay, and never tried the current version, but I've heard it's still great from reliable sources. They actually said it's better than older Jules, which of course I didn't believe, because it sounded too good to be true, and if Jules is better than vintage Jules, it would be the best fragrance in the history of the world. I'll have to try a tester if I come across one (which I think would have to be in France).
    Yes I saw the breakdown of notes while reading up about it. Had a look at Jules and it seems I may like this one too.

Also looking at different possible ones like Hermes Equipage.

On a side note, I like PPH but my girlfriend does not. She's very picky but unpredictably so - she likes smells like cinnamon, vanilla, chocolate etc in her own perfumes, but with men's it's an unknown selection. She likes Egoiste but also likes things like Joop Homme and citrus or fresh smelling ones.

I'm a little weird in that I don't like smelling like a toilet freshener.

Nice! I love PPH. It's all about the oakmoss which is not just used as a basenote in it, but is a prominent note from start to finish. If you have ever smelled oakmoss essential oil/absolute, you'll know exactly what I mean. That's your mossy earthy damp forest floor.
    Thank you for the extra information! I've never smelled the oil but I imagined it was that all the way through.

Hermes Equipage is great. I like the current version.

Quote Originally Posted by Schnitter View Post
    When was the last year of vintage Egoiste?

Also, is EDT also printed above Chanel on the box or just the bottle?
    The EDT would be printed above the Chanel for both the box and bottle. I would just focus on theses bottles. You would at least be guaranteed an Egoiste bottle from 1989-1997. My own preference would be a bottle closer to the year of the original release.

I'd also recommend pre-2005 Versace L'Homme.