Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default PK Perfumes by Paul Kiler Sample Pass

A number of years ago I was a participant in a sample pass that consisted of many samples from Paul Kiler. I was the last person and the large samples still had quite a bit of perfume in them. No other members joined and PK generously told me to keep the samples. I did, then utterly forgot about them and they remained untouched until just a few days ago. In fact, I had barely used any from them during the pass because just smelling them on cards or even from the sprayers gave me a headache and I could not bear to wear any of them. That said, many of the previous pass participants spoke of the fragrances quite positively, so I thought it might be nice for these samples to jump back into the BN pool for others to try.

I've sent the samples to epapsiou and have invited a few people to the pass. It seems like there should be enough for two to three more participants to sample most, if not all, of the samples. There may be additional slots available but we will have to see as things progress.

Included in this pass are the following PK Perfumes:

Red Leather
    Gold Leather
    Dirty Rose
    Oud Dirty Rose
    Ere
    Pentecost
    Lita
    Carissa
    Violet Chocolatier*
    Velvet Curacao
    Ginger Zest de Citron
    Zaffran
    OC( Orange County-- an unfinished prototype for a masstige fragrance)
    Cafe Diem
    Kairos (never released)

*This one looks like it evaporated quite a bit. Probably won't be enough for everyone to try but let's leave the sample atomizer in the set even when emptied for sniffing purposes anyway.

To be eligible, please be located in CONUS (due to issues with international mail) and have a minimum of 60 posts and three months membership on the site.

Also please be willing and able to:
    1. share your honest thoughts or impressions on this thread, and
    2. send the samples safely (with a tracking number) on to the participant after you, and
    3. complete the above in a timely manner, say approximately 15-20 days.

To join, please express your interest here. As always, anyone is welcome to discuss these fragrances here as well even if not participating in the sample pass. The more the merrier!

Pass Participants:

1. Epapsiou
    2. IsoEsuperman
    3. Bavard
    4. Greyspoole
    5. SubUmbra
    6. OctaVariuM
    7. NCalFragranceReviewer

(NCal, I hope you don't mind but I put you last as the sole W. Coast participant to minimize shipping times.)

Tentative List:

1. Kotori
    2. the blood on 530 27
    3. Zealot Crusader

And we are full up for now. If anyone else is interested, we can start a tentative list. The samples are large and as epapsiou mentioned, one spray really should be enough so I suspect there will be enough to accommodate a few more people. Please post in this thread if you would like to be added as tentative participants
    Last edited by cestrum nocturnum; 26th September 2019 at 11:54 PM. Reason: updated participant list
    There are always flowers for those who want to see them.
    ~ Henri Matisse

Default Re: PK Perfumes by Paul Kiler Sample Pass

I have several of these samples that I haven't tried for a while. I'll probably try them again when this discussion is going on and chime in with my thoughts. My favorite perfume by him is Rhinoceros from Zoologist.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I have several of these samples that I haven't tried for a while. I'll probably try them again when this discussion is going on and chime in with my thoughts. My favorite perfume by him is Rhinoceros from Zoologist.
    Excellent! Welcome! Looking forward to hearing more.
    ~ Henri Matisse

Basenotes Plus

I would love to try these. I been meaning to order some samples for a while...
    Currently wearing: Tabac Blond by Caron

Freed from BN Institution

Hopefully individuals like PL, Kotori, Zephyr will join

Good to see grayspoole participating. It's going to be a full house!
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Always be smelling

Thanks Cestrum for doing this.
    I was always curious about Paul's work.

I got the samples and I think one spray is plenty. We may be able to accommodate more folks.
    There are 14 samples. Might make sense to split it into two. Will keep thread more alive but is logistical nightmare
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Diva by Ungaro

Thank you Cestrum. I would love to take part in this if you'll have me
    "Creating perfume is the closest one can get to practicing alchemy"
    Currently wearing: Patch Flash by Tauerville

Always be smelling

Velvet Curacao:

Start is harsh and rough. But within an hour it comes together as a beautiful old style chypre in the background with orange marmalade and indolic white flowers. There is some powdery musk in the drydown that makes it positively vintage in style.
    Took me a while to figure out the orange in it as it is steeped and boiled in syrup.
    I like this fragrance and is going to be right up grayspoole alley.

Always be smelling

Lita:

When I first sprayed it I was hit by strong fruit notes. Could not figure out what it was. It smelled like pineapple,grape, melon - the works. Within few minutes it settled down to Yuzu and some peach with faint white floral backdrop
    A decent fruit fragrance but nothing extraordinary.
    Neutral to Thumbs up

pk was banned very recently, and I am quite curious as to why.

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by CutSmut View Post
    pk was banned very recently, and I am quite curious as to why.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/467...manent-Removal

I'd love to take part, and if you're willing, SubUmbra and I could be one mailing address since we live near one another, thus cutting down on shipping stuff.
    Currently wearing: Chergui by Serge Lutens

That really sucks. I am not going to criticize the mods as I do not want a ban, but PK was one of the guys who actually provided to this forum. I do hope his ban is not perma.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

A cestrum nocturnum pass is huge, one of my favorite Basenoters - so good to see posting, I love it!

I'm up for sampling. Passes are good fun. It looks like we have several in the northeastern US - I also get excited about fast delivery times!

Basenotes Plus

Hmmm. Interesting.

More specifically, this year I purchased the sample pack from PK’s site and enjoyed Ere and Zaffran the most. I found Ere to be an outstanding fougere on my skin, with good longevity. Kind of a pure fougere, when you’re in the mood for fern.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Freed from BN Institution

I sent PMs out to PL, Kotori, and Zephyr. Let's get some more female participants.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Thanks Cestrum for doing this.
    I was always curious about Paul's work.

I got the samples and I think one spray is plenty. We may be able to accommodate more folks.
    There are 14 samples. Might make sense to split it into two. Will keep thread more alive but is logistical nightmare
    Do you mean dividing the samples into two batches of 7? That would work but requires two mailings per person, which is pretty crummy. I think splitting the sprays (decanting some into smaller sprays to send around a second set) would have been a good idea if I had it before the pass! Lol! That would be a lot of hassle and added expense for you or whomever does it. However, if anyone is so inclined, I am totally fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    I would love to try these. I been meaning to order some samples for a while...

Yay! It would be a delight to have you join!

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Hopefully individuals like PL, Kotori, Zephyr will join

Good to see grayspoole participating. It's going to be a full house!
    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I sent PMs out to PL, Kotori, and Zephyr. Let's get some more female participants.
    Thanks for playing along and reaching out to others, NCal! A few people I asked had already tried PK Perfumes so were not inclined to join, and some I did not ask as I worried about the potentially headache inducing quality of these. I might add that very, very, very few fragrances give me a headache. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by SubUmbra View Post
    Thank you Cestrum. I would love to take part in this if you'll have me

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    I'd love to take part, and if you're willing, SubUmbra and I could be one mailing address since we live near one another, thus cutting down on shipping stuff.
    You’re both in! Welcome and thank you for the interest and it is so nice that you guys are close enough to hand them off! How fun it must be to have a BN pal nearby! Do you think you will sample any of them together at the same time? That might be a novel way to do a sample pass, or part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    A cestrum nocturnum pass is huge, one of my favorite Basenoters - so good to see posting, I love it!

I'm up for sampling. Passes are good fun. It looks like we have several in the northeastern US - I also get excited about fast delivery times!
    So glad that you are game!!! It’s always a pleasure to have you in any sample pass!

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Hmmm. Interesting.

More specifically, this year I purchased the sample pack from PK’s site and enjoyed Ere and Zaffran the most. I found Ere to be an outstanding fougere on my skin, with good longevity. Kind of a pure fougere, when you’re in the mood for fern.
    Thanks for chiming in and I hope we will hear more from you as the pass progresses!

And we are full up for now. If anyone else is interested, we can start a tentative list. The samples are large and as epapsiou mentioned, one spray really should be enough so I suspect there will be enough to accommodate a few more people.

~~~~~ DISCLAIMER:

Hmmm, well now. I have not been on BN for months and this is the first time I am seeing that thread. <cough...Lord.of.the.Flies...cough, cough>

I would like to make it abundantly clear that this sample pass was absolutely independent of anything in that thread. I had always thought I would send these off for another sample pass at a later date since at the time of the original pass, no one else was interested. This sample pass was set forth without any intent to make any commentary, promote any stance, or provide any sort of show of solidarity or support for or against any parties on the DIY forum or BN, the moderators, the moderating team’s assessment or decisions, or the code of conduct, or Grant, of course. This is just a sample pass, hopefully for some fun, in case anyone had any doubts.

O.k, so anyway… back to our regularly scheduled program

~~~~~~

Velvet Curacao:

Start is harsh and rough. But within an hour it comes together as a beautiful old style chypre in the background with orange marmalade and indolic white flowers. There is some powdery musk in the drydown that makes it positively vintage in style.
    Took me a while to figure out the orange in it as it is steeped and boiled in syrup.
    I like this fragrance and is going to be right up grayspoole alley.
    Lita:

When I first sprayed it I was hit by strong fruit notes. Could not figure out what it was. It smelled like pineapple,grape, melon - the works. Within few minutes it settled down to Yuzu and some peach with faint white floral backdrop
    A decent fruit fragrance but nothing extraordinary.
    Neutral to Thumbs up
    Epapsiou!!!!! Nice impressions thus far! I love sample passes as it is always fascinating to hear how other people sense fragrances. You make these sound much better than what I experienced!
    Last edited by cestrum nocturnum; 8th August 2019 at 08:31 AM.
    ~ Henri Matisse

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I'd have participated in this pass, as the compositions and the now-controversial nature of the perfumer are too delicious to ignore. But alas, I'm not in the best of respitory shape to be sniffing a bunch of potentially "headache inducing" perfume considering my recent asthma flare-up (and subsequent diagnosis), so I'll have to sit out. Y'all have fun sniffing the forbidden fruit without me!
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Bogart by Jacques Bogart

This sounds like fun! Do you have room for one more?
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

Quote Originally Posted by cestrum nocturnum View Post

You’re both in! Welcome and thank you for the interest and it is so nice that you guys are close enough to hand them off! How fun it must be to have a BN pal nearby! Do you think you will sample any of them together at the same time? That might be a novel way to do a sample pass, or part of it.
    Thank you! I'm pleased to say this is my first official sample pass.

Octa, you and I should certainly consider wearing them on our patented "Slumberstopby" days (for everyone else, this is our code for "when I pick him up and we wear frags and chat about them in the morning en route to work" haha).
    "Creating perfume is the closest one can get to practicing alchemy"
    Currently wearing: Patch Flash by Tauerville

Always be smelling

Epapsiou!!!!! ... You make these sound much better than what I experienced!
    I think I see what the issue is. I have sampled 5 so far and they all suffer from same problem - very harsh, strong , and in some cases, recoiling top. Reminds me of the smell of cheap ACs you find in $1 attars. That is the reason for your headache and the reason ZC should stay away.
    Top goes away in an hour or so and then you get something nice. Alas you have to bear it for an hour. The other thing is I am testing it on skin and it is hot here. So top fades away.
    The AC he uses are strong and so if you test it on paper and leave it indoors you will not be able to get rid of top and you will never be able to smell what is underneath.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I think I see what the issue is. I have sampled 5 so far and they all suffer from same problem - very harsh, strong , and in some cases, recoiling top. Reminds me of the smell of cheap ACs you find in $1 attars. That is the reason for your headache and the reason ZC should stay away.
    Top goes away in an hour or so and then you get something nice. Alas you have to bear it for an hour. The other thing is I am testing it on skin and it is hot here. So top fades away.
    The AC he uses are strong and so if you test it on paper and leave it indoors you will not be able to get rid of top and you will never be able to smell what is underneath.
    I tried testing a new AdG flanker while still recovering, and the woody ACs were so intense, it triggered a reaction. Never in my life has that happened.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Bogart by Jacques Bogart

Always be smelling

Dirty Rose:

The first thing I smell is muddy, rooty earth. It is harsh up top but softens within couple of hour and becomes a nice iris fragrance with a touch of rose. I think the rooty smell up top is due to orris.
    It is dirty but not rosey.
    All in all an OK fragrance but trying to do what Dior Homme has done without the harsh top

Edit: At 10 hour mark I do smell a nice rose+ oud accord. A shame. Too little to late.
    Last edited by epapsiou; 9th August 2019 at 12:19 AM.

Octa, you and I should certainly consider wearing them on our patented "Slumberstopby" days (for everyone else, this is our code for "when I pick him up and we wear frags and chat about them in the morning en route to work" haha).
    Totally down for that. Sounds like a fun way to do this!
    Currently wearing: Chergui by Serge Lutens

Always be smelling

Dirty Rose Oud Extreme:

Start is similar to dirty rose. Muddy. But this has more rose up top. Better but has that harshness that has become trademark of this sample pass.
    This one settles down to a nice oudhy rose. Similar to the one we had on Gulabsingh pass. Similar to Oud Dusita but less poopsie more rose.
    Hindi barnyard oud with roses. ClaireV (or was it PC) used as description for this kind of "decadence" - dung in silk stockings.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I'd have participated in this pass, as the compositions and the now-controversial nature of the perfumer are too delicious to ignore. But alas, I'm not in the best of respitory shape to be sniffing a bunch of potentially "headache inducing" perfume considering my recent asthma flare-up (and subsequent diagnosis), so I'll have to sit out. Y'all have fun sniffing the forbidden fruit without me!
    Better safe than sorry! Asthma is no fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    This sounds like fun! Do you have room for one more?
    Hi, Kotori! Thanks for your interest! I’ll add you as a tentative sampler for now, but I think there will be enough given the quantities and potency. I hope you won’t find them headache-y like I did! :{

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Totally down for that. Sounds like a fun way to do this!
    Nice! That sounds like a great idea! Just make sure there won’t be negative repercussions at your workplace We did have someone get a talking to at work due to perfume sampling! (He’s actually in this pass, too!)

Ah ha! I think you have solved the mystery! I absolutely agree with the parts I put in bold, and you are right, those aspects never went away for me. I had never disliked an entire line so thoroughly until these, and was perplexed by positive comments from others. The ACs in the top are like a sledgehammer on my nose. I am in awe of your ability to power through that phase. Good job!
    ~ Henri Matisse

Always be smelling

Ah ha! I think you have solved the mystery! I absolutely agree with the parts I put in bold, and you are right, those aspects never went away for me. I had never disliked an entire line so thoroughly until these, and was perplexed by positive comments from others. The ACs in the top are like a sledgehammer on my nose. I am in awe of your ability to power through that phase. Good job!
    Someone had to take one for the team
    But in reality I am used to those AC. A long story but the gist is I grew up with them and had to endure them one week every summer up until college. Sort of nostalgic for me

One of my friend is sensitive to fragrances. Or so she thought. I did experiments with her and we figured out that she is fine with vintages, but give her something modern and she starts sniffling plus headaches. Hypothesis is that some newer AC triggers it. Or maybe some new fixatives.
    She was sitting next to me when I wore Red Leather today and Velvet Cuaracao on Monday. Both triggered her headache. She was fine with Ere.

Always be smelling

Ere:

Very different from what I have smelled so far. Top is smooth and nice. It is a fragrance that covers a lot of ground. Has the modern aromatic fougere element to it. It is also clean, coniferous and crisp.
    But it follows a mass market script and is missing the artisanal touch one expects from Paul.
    It is very similar to one of those Cereus (4 or 7 can't remember).

The only office safe fragrance thus far

Always be smelling

Red Leather:
    It begins with smell of something you would eat in a summer day barbeque.
    Pimiento, rhubarb, juniper, burnt meat. Top is not as harsh as his other ones but not as smooth as Ere.
    But soon it develops into a smoky meaty medicinal scent.
    I can understand why it is one of his most popular fragrance.
    The smoky accord is similar to one in Amouage attar (Tribute I think).
    I think the leather here is smoked meat

Always be smelling

Zaffran:
    Starts out with very strong Saffron. But within minutes an egg accord overtakes the fragrance. The saffron fades with time leaving only the smell of eggs. A scrubber.
    Looking at other reviews and notes I think either the sample has spoiled or I am hypernosmic to something.