Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Honestly..does current Giorgio BH hold up??

I found a magazine from summer 1986 and there was a scent strip of Giorgio for men Beverly hills...
    The scent strip had not been opened and I opened it and man was I surprised!!
    it smelled amazing very classy and not dated!!
    So can someone tell me how the Elizabeth Arden version holds up? I had read that the original was an oakmoss monster and was wondering if the current stuff is any good..
    It's so cheap these days like 16 dollars for the big bottle.

Default Re: Honestly..does current Giorgio BH hold up??

I think from reviews there's ( isn't there always!) two camps, "is what it is good" and "vintage is better"

I had my eye seriously on the new bottle like you say exceptional value, and then won a auction on ebay for it. Turned out to be vintage dark juice version. That's pretty good, loses it a little after midway, but still a great frag in the vein of Givenchy Gentleman. I expect the latest version isn't THAT bad, lol do report back if you pull on it!

I will definitely be buying it soon hope it's still good

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Foamywax View Post
    Please don't forget to share your thoughts!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Hednic did you like this cologne back in the day??

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Hednic did you like this cologne back in the day??
    I personally never did but always interested in hearing what others think.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Mine is about 6 years old and I love it. I like it better than my vintage Givenchy Gentleman. It's a little campy, but in a good way (for me).

From a personal viewpoint and based on personal experience alone, happening to own and use a fairly recent formulation of this one and got fairly good projection and longevity from it-albeit with a minimum of 4 to 6 sprays, slightly but not much above 6 for nearly beast mode performance levels.

Thanks!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I like it. Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men has a similar structure to vintage British Sterling but with way more patchouli, so it basically feels like a fougère take while Givenchy Gentleman has civet and is more of a chypre take on patchouli. They are similar but more complimentary to each other than redundant. I slightly like the Giorgio more. My current bottle is modern green juice. It smells plenty strong to my nose.
    oh look, I have a signature

From the reviews I've read it seems that there are at least two reformulations. I have vintage and also the earlier of the two reformulations, apparently. As in other, similar, cases, the new one is at least good (compared to most of what is selling at the designer counters in dept. stores), but it is clearly not as deep, complex, nuanced, natural-smelling, etc., though my EA Giorgio doesn't smell like any kind of "chemical nightmare." As with Lagerfeld Cologne, I think it should be called something else, such as Giorgio for Men Moderne. I don't like the endless threads about whether vintage is better or "worth tracking down" or worth a higher price, because you have to decide for yourself! You will always get people telling you new is fine or vintage is the only way to go, so the only way to use such information is if you already know which members are highly likely to give you the suggestoin that will work out. What I will say, which I've also said before, is that if you have patience you should be able to get a vintage bottle, most likely on ebay, for less than what you would pay for some chemical dreck scent at the local dept. store, but few seem to be willing to wait a bit. As to the British Sterling suggestion, I don''t see much similarity at all, though that may be what the latest Giorgio formulation smells like.

Gave it ** out of 5 (long ago)

Ugh I knew what fragrance this thread is about, but BH as an acronym is ridiculous. Please type that out!

I don't see why BH as an acronym is "ridiculous".
    I have no idea what you are going on about but you are being rude and adding nothing to this thread.

I bought a bottle about 5 years ago and really didn't like it. The opening was nice but the dry down was like a bitter weird soap. I sold it. Fast forward 4 years, I bought it again about a year ago, and i really like it. Maybe it was reformulated.. maybe I got old formulation or old stock, maybe bad stock? Maybe my nose has become more refined in that 4 years. It could be any number of things. Though as of now, I do think it's a very nice fragrance, and also very cheap. Giorgio Red is also quite nice, having smelled both vintage and current in this, I think the current formulation may even edge out the vintage. Wings is also ok, but not my thing. I guess because I've smelled Eternity and Cool Water so much, and this is pretty much a mix of the 2. But with Giorgio, I feel the current formulation is quite nice, and at $15 or so a bottle for 4 oz, you can't go wrong. I would put it in the barbershop fragrance genre along with Azzaro pH, Drakkar Noir, and Rive Gauche.

Quote Originally Posted by jabar View Post
    Ugh I knew what fragrance this thread is about, but BH as an acronym is ridiculous. Please type that out!
    Most people can determine there is only one available Giorgio in men's frags.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler
    Currently wearing: On El by J del Pozo

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    From the reviews I've read it seems that there are at least two reformulations. I have vintage and also the earlier of the two reformulations, apparently. As in other, similar, cases, the new one is at least good (compared to most of what is selling at the designer counters in dept. stores), but it is clearly not as deep, complex, nuanced, natural-smelling, etc., though my EA Giorgio doesn't smell like any kind of "chemical nightmare." As with Lagerfeld Cologne, I think it should be called something else, such as Giorgio for Men Moderne. I don't like the endless threads about whether vintage is better or "worth tracking down" or worth a higher price, because you have to decide for yourself! You will always get people telling you new is fine or vintage is the only way to go, so the only way to use such information is if you already know which members are highly likely to give you the suggestoin that will work out. What I will say, which I've also said before, is that if you have patience you should be able to get a vintage bottle, most likely on ebay, for less than what you would pay for some chemical dreck scent at the local dept. store, but few seem to be willing to wait a bit. As to the British Sterling suggestion, I don''t see much similarity at all, though that may be what the latest Giorgio formulation smells like.
    It seems that many vintage bottles out there have gone bad. There is an amazing honey note in Giorgio that I really like. I actually bought Giorgio Red for men yesterday because Giorgio for men was sold out.
    They also had Wings which I've never tried.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I bought a bottle about 5 years ago and really didn't like it. The opening was nice but the dry down was like a bitter weird soap. I sold it. Fast forward 4 years, I bought it again about a year ago, and i really like it. Maybe it was reformulated.. maybe I got old formulation or old stock, maybe bad stock? Maybe my nose has become more refined in that 4 years. It could be any number of things. Though as of now, I do think it's a very nice fragrance, and also very cheap. Giorgio Red is also quite nice, having smelled both vintage and current in this, I think the current formulation may even edge out the vintage. Wings is also ok, but not my thing. I guess because I've smelled Eternity and Cool Water so much, and this is pretty much a mix of the 2. But with Giorgio, I feel the current formulation is quite nice, and at $15 or so a bottle for 4 oz, you can't go wrong. I would put it in the barbershop fragrance genre along with Azzaro pH, Drakkar Noir, and Rive Gauche.

Most people can determine there is only one available Giorgio in men's frags.
    I'm enjoying Red actually it was a blind buy.
    It smells like obsession and polo green mixed together! At first it seems kind of dated but it sweetens after a while.. kind of reminds me of hot tamale candy

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I couldn't agree more. I have been misled so many times. Vintage isn't always better and yes it's best to try out for yourself. But it's always interesting to read other opinions.

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

It's really good. Maybe not quite as potent as the original but not a million miles away. Uber masculine and lasts all day!!
    All Time Favorites
    Kouros - YSL
    Vintage Fahrenheit - Dior
    Fahrenheit Parfum - Dior
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Patchouli Nobile - Nobile 1942
    Aventus - Creed
    Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Green Irish Tweed - Creed
    Royal Oud - Creed
    Halfeti - Penhaligon's
    Mousse Illuminee - Rouge Perfumery
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

It seems that many vintage bottles out there have gone bad. There is an amazing honey note in Giorgio that I really like. I actually bought Giorgio Red for men yesterday because Giorgio for men was sold out.
    They also had Wings which I've never tried.
    I think what usually happens, if it's an old spray bottle (especially without box) is that the liquid in the tube has been infused with gases from the plastic, and so a person uses a few sprays and it does smell bad. I had that happen with some really old Brut spray bottles recently. Two were in boxes and were fine, but the third had no box and I had to use about a dozen sprays to get that tube liquid out of there, then it was fine. I have had about a dozen GBH spray bottles over the years and not one seemed to have "gone bad," though.

Thanks bigsly, but I've seen some vintage bottles where the liquid looks almost black.

I have only tried the current. At first I could not stand it. I thought the opening smelled dated. After a few wearings the opening is still a bit rough but the drydown is great. Nice and masculine fragrance!

I really don't understand the trepidation with going vintage on this one; it is still to this day one of the most abundantly cheap no-brainer vintages on eBay. There are multiple ones listed right now for well under $40; I don't think I ever paid more than $25 for my vintage bottles. There is virtually no counterfeit risk since the genuine article is so cheap.

More to the point, vintage had an extremely high ingredient quality given its relatively simple structure. The sandalwood, moss, amber and patchouli absolutely shine. This was THE exclusive snob men's fragrance of the 80s - you had to mail order it or buy it directly at the Giorgio boutique on Rodeo Drive, and it wasn't cheap from what I understand.

Fast forward to the current version and the deep warm base notes have been shot through with white musks and the florals have taken on that cheap hospital air freshener quality. The saddest thing is that between the vintage and the long discontinued Giorgio VIP one can start to tease out a sort of "Giorgio-ade" common base accord in both. It's a beautiful mossy incensy sandalwood, slightly powdery with loads of patchouli, vaguely reminiscent of Kouros. You won't get that in the current version.
    Currently wearing: Deep Forest by Bogner

Looks like I'll have to get both then!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauer_Haus View Post
    This was THE exclusive snob men's fragrance of the 80s - you had to mail order it or buy it directly at the Giorgio boutique on Rodeo Drive, and it wasn't cheap from what I understand.
    My dad used to horde bottles of this back in the 80s. It wasn't hard to find in stores.

I remember it being popular in the 80's but they marketed it as being very upscale back then.
    Who knows how raw and expensive the materials were back then and how it's changed now.
    I know that I bought Red last week and back in the 90's they said the same that it has over 400 ingredients in the formula. Yet the current version costs 17 bucks and is EXACTLY the same...
    We all get nostalgic with the past and think everything was better. Most fragrances were but some are the same thing basically..

Blog Entries

On the one hand it was ultra exclusive, on the other it seems like vintage availability is abundant at cheap prices. Makes no sense.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator
    Currently wearing: Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    On the one hand it was ultra exclusive
    Was it really, though? Again, I remember it well because my dad wore it, and it really didn't seem hard to find.

Enjoying 15 sprays full tilt, today! Goes like thunder!

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Was it really, though? Again, I remember it well because my dad wore it, and it really didn't seem hard to find.
    Likewise, my dad wore it back in the day. Always had at least one bottle. He wasn't much of an exclusive fragrance guy...
    "I'm sure there are things that you like that someone else here dislikes."
    papillo