Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default First Female Frag! - Chanel N19 vtg.

Okay folks,
    For a long time now, I've been thinking about going for some vintage female frags. I don't know a lot about 'em but, thanks to y'all here, I'm learning
    Now I finally took the plunge and all the talk, reviews and most of y'alls experience with this inspired me to purchase a partial 60% full vintage Chanel N19 EdT spray (column-bottle) from a trusted seller and at a, imo, very good price!
    I don't know the age of it and hope I did alright. I'm pretty excited about, though.
    Please feel free to throw in yer two (s)cents, I'm always learning from you guys. Any info is greatly appreciated.
    Martin
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!
    Currently wearing: Versace l'Homme by Versace

Default Re: First Female Frag! - Chanel N19 vtg.

Congrats on your purchase! No 19 is a great one, nicely green and somewhat chypre'.

Now that you have open the vintage female door, there's no coming back! You'll soon be exploring many more.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

You did fine. There are so many good bottles of No. 19 to be had. I like the current edp, and any vintage version, like your edt.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Congrats on your purchase! No 19 is a great one, nicely green and somewhat chypre'.

Now that you have open the vintage female door, there's no coming back! You'll soon be exploring many more.
    I get so much good stuff for less than $50.

I love men's stuff from the 80s, and 70s, but some of the women's classics are even more impressive. There's more to be had from the 60s and 70s; serious perfume. Like No. 19 edt.

Basenotes Plus

You couldn't have picked a better scent to start with -- I love smelling No. 19 on a man.

I personally think your next foray into femme-land should be vintage Miss Dior, also great on men. I think Bavard will back me up on this.

Or maybe vintage Cabochard. There's lots of it around, it can be found inexpensively, and in today's environment it smells more like a men's scent than a woman's.

And may I just add: I get such a kick out of hearing a Dane use "y'all" so profusely and appropriately.

Sweet! I have that exact bottle (except the cap is grey, not black as yours appears to be, unless that's an optical illusion). Some vintage folks with better date knowledge than I determined it was likely from the 90s. I can't find a code etched on mine and there's no box, so can't get very detailed.

Regardless, it's a wonderful scent. Congrats, you are going to love it!

+1 to Bavard's advice on seeking vintage feminines generally. There was a lot of this stuff in circulation back in the day, so the vintage market is less prone to getting overheated for many vintage feminines. And the vast majority are perfectly wearable by a man.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    +1 to Bavard's advice on seeking vintage feminines generally. There was a lot of this stuff in circulation back in the day, so the vintage market is less prone to getting overheated for many vintage feminines.
    Excellent point. And as general rule, I find the prices on the European/UK eBay sites to be lower than the U.S. eBay. A Scottish friend of mine recently got a SIXTEEN OUNCE bottle of 1970s Cabochard for less than $50. I nearly peed myself.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    You couldn't have picked a better scent to start with -- I love smelling No. 19 on a man.

I personally think your next foray into femme-land should be vintage Miss Dior, also great on men. I think Bavard will back me up on this.

Or maybe vintage Cabochard. There's lots of it around, it can be found inexpensively, and in today's environment it smells more like a men's scent than a woman's.

And may I just add: I get such a kick out of hearing a Dane use "y'all" so profusely and appropriately.
    Ha haa thanks, CB! Yeah I figured I'd play it safe to start with, and I've been wanting to take a crack at N19 for quite some time now
    Btw I like that you get a kick. I don't even think about it anymore when I use that word

Sweet! I have that exact bottle (except the cap is grey, not black as yours appears to be, unless that's an optical illusion). Some vintage folks with better date knowledge than I determined it was likely from the 90s. I can't find a code etched on mine and there's no box, so can't get very detailed.

Regardless, it's a wonderful scent. Congrats, you are going to love it!

+1 to Bavard's advice on seeking vintage feminines generally. There was a lot of this stuff in circulation back in the day, so the vintage market is less prone to getting overheated for many vintage feminines. And the vast majority are perfectly wearable by a man.
    Thanks LJ! Yeah I think the cap is black. Can't detect a batch# anywhere. Maybe I can see the etching when it arrives.

a SIXTEEN OUNCE bottle of 1970s Cabochard for less than $50. I nearly peed myself.
    LOL! I would so too, btw. Damn, what a deal... I think the european sellers are more or less psychotic when it comes to pricing vintages, whereas the US prices are often dirt-cheap. Don't know about Chanels, though.

Basenotes Plus

Well, the other scents I thought about exploring were actually Cabochard and one of the Diors (that will be Miss Dior then, thanks), but also N5 and a Guerlain or two, but I'm gonna need y'alls advice on those

Basenotes Plus

This is a gorgeous scent and one I'd love to smell on a man!

Miss Dior and Mitsouko and Givenchy lll would also be incredible.

Cabochard is a great one. It eventually led to Aramis (same perfumer, same structure).

But why not dive right in and try Joy and Arpege? Mentioning these because, so far and with some patience, these are easy to find at reasonable prices (unlike Chanels, Diors, and guerlains, which are really expensive)

cacoi

Cabochard is a great one. It eventually led to Aramis (same perfumer, same structure).
    Speaking of which, Lauder Azuree, too. Another with a similar structure and same perfumer (the guy had a sweet spot) and I think I like it the best of the triplets.

AND (just trying for the first time today) Diorling is in a similar zone and may oust all three for the top spot. Sadly, I have just learned that the vintage juice has been sacrificed to the unicorn gods .
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 8th August 2019 at 11:45 PM. Reason: D'oh! Lauder, not Lancome.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    Okay folks,
    For a long time now, I've been thinking about going for some vintage female frags. I don't know a lot about 'em but, thanks to y'all here, I'm learning
    Now I finally took the plunge and all the talk, reviews and most of y'alls experience with this inspired me to purchase a partial 60% full vintage Chanel N19 EdT spray (column-bottle) from a trusted seller and at a, imo, very good price!
    I don't know the age of it and hope I did alright. I'm pretty excited about, though.
    Please feel free to throw in yer two (s)cents, I'm always learning from you guys. Any info is greatly appreciated.
    Martin
    You did a good thing my friend.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Mandom by Mandom

Basenotes Plus

But why not dive right in and try Joy and Arpege? Mentioning these because, so far and with some patience, these are easy to find at reasonable prices (unlike Chanels, Diors, and guerlains, which are really expensive)

cacoi
    Thanks, cacio. I've started looking towards Russia. They have just about everything and mostly at very fair prices. Did a couple good deals there.

Speaking of which, Lauder Azuree, too. Another with a similar structure and same perfumer (the guy had a sweet spot) and I think I like it the best of the triplets.

AND (just trying for the first time today) Diorling is in a similar zone and may oust all three for the top spot. Sadly, I have just learned that the vintage juice has been sacrificed to the unicorn gods .
    Think I'll brush ip on Azuree, then. Very Interresting perfumer that Bernard Chant. Thanks LJ!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    You did a good thing my friend.
    I'm glad you think so, ZC. I find all of this incredibly interresting. I'm now comitted to reading every entry on ROTLS from '13 till now, concentrating on the feminines.
    Couldn't do this without y'alls help and encouragement!

Basenotes Plus

I can second the Miss Dior option! I just got it last week and indeed perfectly wearable for a man (and a masterpiece of a scent).

As for Guerlains I think Jicky would be the obvious choice (but I think most of the classic Guerlains can be pulled of by men, wearing it with the right attitude and on the right occasion). To me this is as unisex as you can get, and actually one of the perfumes my wife loves most on me.
    Currently wearing: Monsieur Carven by Carven

Okay folks,
    Am currently doused in 80's No. 19 EdT, and it's glorious. Enjoy! The floral elements don't detract from the vetiver/galbanum man-friendly heft of this fragrance.

I think Rive Gauche (femme version) is unisex as well, because the rose is so woodsy and dark. Cabochard is a great choice because of that leather base, but well-preserved vintage is actually quite floral.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Couronne de Violette View Post
    Am currently doused in 80's No. 19 EdT, and it's glorious. Enjoy! The floral elements don't detract from the vetiver/galbanum man-friendly heft of this fragrance.

I think Rive Gauche (femme version) is unisex as well, because the rose is so woodsy and dark. Cabochard is a great choice because of that leather base, but well-preserved vintage is actually quite floral.
    Cabochard is a must-have, definately.
    I wasn't aware that femme Rive Gauche could work too 'cause it's rarely mentioned in that context? Would love to sniff it, though. I'm just a bit wary regarding dark rose notes as they often, to my nose, tend to smell dry potpouri-handsoap'ish and stale-like. I'm much more into the rich-fragrant yellow rose notes
    Could you shed more light on the RG?
    And thanks for the input!

Freed from BN Institution

A great acquisition, I really enjoy the EDT concentration. I found it to be versatile enough for both work and casual settings. A backup bottle worthy fragrance.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Well, the other scents I thought about exploring were actually Cabochard and one of the Diors (that will be Miss Dior then, thanks), but also N5 and a Guerlain or two, but I'm gonna need y'alls advice on those
    I would recommend looking at Guerlain Sous Le Vent. That's definitely a must. Also from there Mitsouko or Vol de Nuit are wonderful. The only ones that I enjoyed were both Miss Dior and Diorella.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

One word: CINNABAR

I wasn't aware that femme Rive Gauche could work too 'cause it's rarely mentioned in that context? Would love to sniff it, though. I'm just a bit wary regarding dark rose notes as they often, to my nose, tend to smell dry potpouri-handsoap'ish and stale-like. I'm much more into the rich-fragrant yellow rose notes
    Rive Gauche is pretty good. I never connect 100% with anything from YSL, but Rive Gauche comes close. You have to like rose.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    A great acquisition, I really enjoy the EDT concentration. I found it to be versatile enough for both work and casual settings. A backup bottle worthy fragrance.
    Excited!

I would recommend looking at Guerlain Sous Le Vent. That's definitely a must. Also from there Mitsouko or Vol de Nuit are wonderful. The only ones that I enjoyed were both Miss Dior and Diorella.
    Miss Dior is a 'yes' from me. Have to read up on the others as well.
    'Sweet' and/or 'vanilla' are definate no-gos for me, though.

Cabochard is a must-have, definately.
    I'm not a veteran Rive Gauche wearer, but have a can of the vintage EdT. To me, it is one of the most universally appealing and versatile fragrances I've ever worn. It can be a bit soapy in the drydown, but there is nothing stale about it. The rose is abstract and more metallic than fresh, and the woods aspect enhances the sense of sophistication and get-to-business. It is described as "silvery," as almost chilly, but I find it interesting and inviting. I think it's worth a small sample of the vintage, at least.

I agree with you that a fresh yellow rose is a nice note, and would love to find a scent that features it. I'm still new to the hunt.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Couronne de Violette View Post
    I'm not a veteran Rive Gauche wearer, but have a can of the vintage EdT. To me, it is one of the most universally appealing and versatile fragrances I've ever worn. It can be a bit soapy in the drydown, but there is nothing stale about it. The rose is abstract and more metallic than fresh, and the woods aspect enhances the sense of sophistication and get-to-business. It is described as "silvery," as almost chilly, but I find it interesting and inviting. I think it's worth a small sample of the vintage, at least.

I agree with you that a fresh yellow rose is a nice note, and would love to find a scent that features it. I'm still new to the hunt.
    What a great run-through and very helpful too! I definately need to check it out.
    I'd like to know if there is such a yellow rose-note fragrance, as well. Maybe 'Tea Rose' by Perfumer's Workshop?

'Tea Rose' by Perfumer's Workshop?
    A pass for me. Not to be compared with Rive Gauche, which is more of a flawless classic. Tea Rose is like the name says, from a workshop where people are experimenting.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Rive Gauche is pretty good. I never connect 100% with anything from YSL, but Rive Gauche comes close. You have to like rose.
    LOVE rose. If it's fresh, though.

Excited!

Miss Dior is a 'yes' from me. Have to read up on the others as well.
    'Sweet' and/or 'vanilla' are definate no-gos for me, though.
    Since you mentioned sweet and or/vanilla you could cross Vol de Nuit from your list as it does have a slight oriental feel. Mitsouko would certainly do you good.

Sous Le Vent and Diorella are quite to similar, both green and aromatic I prefer the former.

Chypre Coty is wonderful if you like oak moss.

Basenotes Plus

Since you mentioned sweet and or/vanilla you could cross Vol de Nuit from your list as it does have a slight oriental feel. Mitsouko would certainly do you good.

Sous Le Vent and Diorella are quite to similar, both green and aromatic I prefer the former.

Chypre Coty is wonderful if you like oak moss.
    Thanks for pointing those out, N.CAL!
    Always been a little curious on Mitsouko and Chypre Coty, actually. Got some researching to do.
    And btw....I loooove oakmoss!

I agree with the fact that N.19 is beautiful, I own a mini of the vintage eau de parfum.
    I am considering to purchase a bigger bottle like the one in the photos I have attached. Can you please help me understand what year are this canisters with refill from?
    Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Gilturko View Post
    I agree with the fact that N.19 is beautiful, I own a mini of the vintage eau de parfum.
    I am considering to purchase a bigger bottle like the one in the photos I have attached. Can you please help me understand what year are this canisters with refill from?
    Thank you.
    What a well-preserved clean bottle! It's a good question. I think we must call on our in-house Chanel-afficionados to answer that
    In the meantime, go here:
    http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspo...fumes.html?m=1