Code of Conduct

Default Late night thoughts of bonding us together

I wonder how many of us here are (amature or professionals) with the same great passion to perfume and scent?
    Maybe we should introduce each other to everyone else? Nick/name, age, and experience in the field and mayve also share a story of how did we get involved in the field of perfume?
    Should i start?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Currently wearing: Y by Yves Saint Laurent

Default Re: Late night thoughts of bonding us together

Quote Originally Posted by refael_sakura View Post
    Should i start?
    Please.

With pleasure :-)
    My name is Refael from Tel Aviv. I m 40yo. And i got into the fragrance field through a fascinating long journey... from making tea, to herbal tea, and then to make herbal extracts( then i was reading alot of aromatherapy books) to finaly making tinctures and two years ago i started distilling my own essential oils, and from there the way was paved into mixing oils for creams and aromatherpy medicine...but the essence and fragrance where what intrigued me the most! And slowly and for the last two years i have been fascinated by the field of perfume and scent.
    I have read a few people here in the forum did the same way. And it was nice and comforting and unifying .
    I would like to enjoy the stage and actually say thank you to the people and members of the forum for an amazing content, the people who built it, the "knowing "(so many of them) ones who help guide the young ones and also those who have been a big part and are still watching over the forum in their own way
    Thank you
    Refael.

Banned

Matthew from Vancouver.

Managed family fruit orchard until 25.
    Peaches, apricots, Chinese/Korean pears, various rare species of apples (40 varieties)
    plums, flowers from Holland, honey melons, vegetables etc.
    Studied culinary arts in college. Family has winery. Mother is sommelier.

Degree in graphic design, studied fine arts and oil painting at The Emily Carr University.
    Moved to Japan, studied incense listening and Japanese culinary traditions in Kyoto.
    Taught English in Japan 10 years.

Currently in Vancouver
    2.5 years perfume materials, natural and synthetic.
    I use approximately 200 materials, built 60 accords thus far
    Make perfumes for friends and neighbours.

Mental illness runs in the family, taking minimum 2 varieties of anti-depressants is a necessary evil.
    Definitely a syntesthetes, I begin each scent project with dozens of drawings.
    In other words I "see," scent in my mind....

I see each one of my scent materials as a material object, each with uniquely different colours and textures.
    Example, Hedione.

Hedione is a transparent lime, yellow green film material. Almost like stained glass.
    The intension of Hedione is not to hide the materials behind it, the intention is to bring a filtered light upon that object.
    Hedione has a texture close to that of a smooth smooth wax paper covered in oil. Look through it, you can see the object behind it.

Hedione HC on the other hand, very different.
    Hedione HC is slightly less transparent, nearly the same yellow green as Hedione with a slight tinge of waxy brown green to it.
    It is dirtier, slightly more bitter. It too is like stained glass, but it has small bumps on it, it reflects light very differently from Hedione.

The texture of this wax paper is bumpy, less clear, more waxy.
    If I run my fingers across the surface of Hedione HC my fingers would get stuck on this waxy paper.
    Hedione HC is slightly waxy, sticky textural - it shares similar textures to that of dusty, bitter floral materials.

I have a very deep respect for everyone who is, or who ever was on this forum.
    Your curiosity inspires me.

Nice to read. Woukd love to hear more if you or other wants to share

When I was little, my mom used to take me to the mall and at one little cosmetics store they had an impressive array of essential oils in large glass jars, in the center of the space, and I used to smell them all. Later in my teens I got some cedar essential oil from a healthfood store during a visit to the city. I kept it and smelled it from time to time.
    I think it started with getting Frankincense to deal with depression and seasonal affective disorder due to the long winters, since smells and essential oils can help with that. I always remember the bible story of gold, frankincense and myrrh, so ordered little 5ml bottles of frankincense and myrrh oils to see what they smelled like.
    A few years ago, I found some very inexpensive knock-off fragrance sold at a discount store (Preferred Fragrance) which were surprisingly good quality for the price. I started looking up the fragrances they were supposedly imitating, and found Basenotes Forum and Fragrantica. I do have a decent background in organic chemistry, so it was interesting to look up the structure of the different fragrance compounds and identify patterns.
    I do always remember the wonderful smell of roses and lemons growing in our yard when I was smaller. (We had an old 'Sterling Silver' rose bush and it had the most wonderful smell and huge beautiful blooms)

Hi All,

My name is Lauren. I am 29 years old and have been working in the fragrance industry for about three years. I started out as a sample tech and am now a perfumer-in-training. I’ve always loved flowers, nature, and drawing as well as science. I always assumed I’d grow up to become an artist!

I really discovered my love of perfume as a freshman in college and became obsessed with learning everything about it, tracking down the classics in department stores and ordering niche samples and raw materials online and soon decided I wanted to become a perfumer. Now that I am older I realize how much perfume developed and healed me as a person. It brought me more in touch with my emotions and gave me a way to express myself. Today I am also super interested in wellness and spirituality and would like to learn more about how fragrance could intersect in these fields.

Being a perfumer-in-training is amazing but also VERY humbling. Developing patience has always been the biggest struggle for me and is the main thing that has helped me improve. It seems like as soon as you think you know what you’re doing, there is always another level to learn, but I’m so grateful for the journey.
    Currently wearing: Rush by Gucci

Quote Originally Posted by parker25mv View Post
    When I was little, my mom used to take me to the mall and at one little cosmetics store they had an impressive array of essential oils in large glass jars, in the center of the space, and I used to smell them all. Later in my teens I got some cedar essential oil from a healthfood store during a visit to the city. I kept it and smelled it from time to time.
    I think it started with getting Frankincense to deal with depression and seasonal affective disorder due to the long winters, since smells and essential oils can help with that. I always remember the bible story of gold, frankincense and myrrh, so ordered little 5ml bottles of frankincense and myrrh oils to see what they smelled like.
    A few years ago, I found some very inexpensive knock-off fragrance sold at a discount store (Preferred Fragrance) which were surprisingly good quality for the price. I started looking up the fragrances they were supposedly imitating, and found Basenotes Forum and Fragrantica. I do have a decent background in organic chemistry, so it was interesting to look up the structure of the different fragrance compounds and identify patterns.
    I do always remember the wonderful smell of roses and lemons growing in our yard when I was smaller. (We had an old 'Sterling Silver' rose bush and it had the most wonderful smell and huge beautiful blooms)
    Cool story

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren O View Post
    Hi All,

My name is Lauren. I am 29 years old and have been working in the fragrance industry for about three years. I started out as a sample tech and am now a perfumer-in-training. Iíve always loved flowers, nature, and drawing as well as science. I always assumed Iíd grow up to become an artist!

I really discovered my love of perfume as a freshman in college and became obsessed with learning everything about it, tracking down the classics in department stores and ordering niche samples and raw materials online and soon decided I wanted to become a perfumer. Now that I am older I realize how much perfume developed and healed me as a person. It brought me more in touch with my emotions and gave me a way to express myself. Today I am also super interested in wellness and spirituality and would like to learn more about how fragrance could intersect in these fields.

Being a perfumer-in-training is amazing but also VERY humbling. Developing patience has always been the biggest struggle for me and is the main thing that has helped me improve. It seems like as soon as you think you know what youíre doing, there is always another level to learn, but Iím so grateful for the journey.
    Cool , man. nice to meet.

Banned

Awesome that we have someone that works as a professional in the industry!
    Super envious of you! :-) cheers M