Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie Andy the frenchy's Avatar

Default The new Frederic Malle fragrance: to be released in September 2019

Today I stopped at Printemps, one of the major department stores in Paris. It was always second to Galeries Lafayette, that said since a couple of years, they opened a full floor (3 to 4000 sq ft maybe?) dedicated to fragrances, noting that designer mainstream fragrances are grouped in a single 200-300 sq ft room, and the rest is only about niche/luxury fragrances.

Ok, let's go in topic: I stopped by the FM counter to test the new The Moon. Superb, but that's not the point here. The SA offered me to test the yet unreleased new fragrance of Malle, to be released in September this year:

He pulled out a small (10ml?) unlabelled spray from a hidden drawer, and made me test it, both on paper and skin. He couldn't reveal its name or the nose behind this one before September 1st, but described it as "a rose perfume without rose". He also cited (for what I remember) musk, spices, leather, vetiver and tipen pepper (a note used for the first time in perfumery, a compound extracted especially for this fragrance).

Very interesting, even if it didn't wow me. The paper still smells of it, unfortunately, after 2 hours, I cannot smell it on my skin anymore. Projection was average. To be continued...

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: The new Frederic Malle fragrance: to be released in September 2019

Looking forward to this one to hit retailers. Thanks for the info.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Junkie

Frederic Malle is a joke when it comes to performance.
    Recently bought a few samples and this house is on my "never buy" list now

My SA told me about this one recently, maybe a week ago. It sounds like it will be interesting, especially given the nose behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zizzy View Post
    That's nice, dear.
    Currently wearing: Tabac 28 by Le Labo

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    It sounds like it will be interesting, especially given the nose behind it.
    Who's the nose?

Ellena...?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    Who's the nose?
    I'm sworn to secrecy.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Hoover View Post
    Ellena...?
    I've no clue.. as I said, the SA could not tell me more...

I'm sworn to secrecy.
    Ok...Ok... What's your price? (if you don't want to negotiate, I'll have to go back tomorrow and charm the hot SA to get more info... it would be mean to force me to do so - not to say dangerous during these politically correct times......... omg I'm drunk haha)

Ok...Ok... What's your price? (if you don't want to negotiate, I'll have to go back tomorrow and charm the hot SA to get more info... it would be mean to force me to do so - not to say dangerous during these politically correct times......... omg I'm drunk haha)
    A bottle of The Night. LOL

This is most likely Rose Noir with Jean Claude Ellena being the perfumer, a certain buy for me.
    #wackpack

A bottle of The Night. LOL
    Hmmm... I'll go for the SA option then

I'm curious about this one as I haven't really enjoyed any of the newer Malle's
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Freed from BN Institution

Would you consider this a darker scent? Does it remind you of any other Malle offering?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Scent of Oger by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Would you consider this a darker scent? Does it remind you of any other Malle offering?
    Yes a little dark, but still "sparkling". Doesn't remind me of any other Malle frag.

Doesn't remind me of any other Malle frag.
    Well that's good.
    Last edited by hednic; 12th August 2019 at 03:55 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zizzy View Post
    This is interesting, because the one main thing I get from FM is a consistent 12 hour+ longevity. I love the way some are humming after a long day and dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by DanHD View Post
    This is interesting, because the one main thing I get from FM is a consistent 12 hour+ longevity. I love the way some are humming after a long day and dinner.
    Yeah, I'm guessing nose blindness.

I believe it’s Rose Leather, by Jean-Claude Ellena. I tested it as well, it didn’t smell very rosy to me and there is no actual rose oil in it. I got a bit of leather and tomato leaf, it was rather light and vegetal. Not for me, but pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    I believe it’s Rose Leather, by Jean-Claude Ellena. I tested it as well, it didn’t smell very rosy to me and there is no actual rose oil in it. I got a bit of leather and tomato leaf, it was rather light and vegetal.
    Interesting.

I believe it’s Rose Leather, by Jean-Claude Ellena. I tested it as well, it didn’t smell very rosy to me and there is no actual rose oil in it. I got a bit of leather and tomato leaf, it was rather light and vegetal. Not for me, but pleasant.
    Similar at all to Memo's Italian Leather? Curious because im quite fond of the Memo.

No, it’s quite different from Italian Leather, much airier.

Quote Originally Posted by avo1811 View Post
    Similar at all to Memo's Italian Leather? Curious because im quite fond of the Memo.
    No, it’s quite different from Italian Leather, much airier.

Yes, agreed. It's airier, and with a unique twist. Also, the leather in the Malle frag is much weaker than in Memo's (to my nose).

Quote Originally Posted by Peckerhead View Post
    This is most likely Rose Noir with Jean Claude Ellena being the perfumer, a certain buy for me.
    You nearly got it right!

malle.jpg

I believe it’s Rose Leather, by Jean-Claude Ellena.
    That's it!

malle.jpg