Code of Conduct
o

Default Scam, Shill or Just Two Low Watt Bulbs in a Bidding War?

Creed Aventus Men's Eau de Parfum Spray - 4oz. Empty bottle with box and cards

So is this some crazy rare batch (LT4216K11) that when full goes for a grand, some kind of money laundering scheme or two people duking it out who failed to observe the word "empty" mentioned at least three times, not to mention fully oblivious to the concepts of proxy bidding and/or sniping?

For when there's no longer an eBay record of this: US ~500 FB/99% seller whose inventory is otherwise used and NOS auto parts; 42 bids from just two bidders with 2 & 7 FB; currently bid at $405; under four hours left to bid at time of this post; Box and bottle look authentic, or at least don't blatantly appear to be fake; original UPC on sticker masked. Price tag doesn't indicate currency but shows a price of 399290. (Rwanda was the first currency I could find that operates at that magnitude.)

Default Re: Scam, Shill or Just Two Low Watt Bulbs in a Bidding War?

i've seen it all now

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Unbelievable!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

not right, in the head

....................................... Central PA
    Blog Entries

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/468...ilk?highlight= my for sale thread...

Grunge is dead... Long live Grunge...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ascotnot View Post

So is this some crazy rare batch (LT4216K11) that when full goes for a grand, some kind of money laundering scheme
    It's probably indeed a rare batch that can be resold for a grand. Many empty bottles of Aventus are on sale all over ebay. The buyers are scammers, who will fill it again with $30 juice (clones) and sell it back, making impossible to spot a fake just by looking at the bottle and packaging (which are real).

Basically, now, anyone can become a counterfeiter.

Basenotes Plus

Good laugh, how about a 9 to 5 job? Scammers need a life!
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

Scary. Checking a batch number doesn't mean a thing if they just refill said batch code marked bottles. Seems rather obvious but I'd not thought of that until reading this.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

not right, in the head

....................................... Central PA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    It's probably indeed a rare batch that can be resold for a grand. Many empty bottles of Aventus are on sale all over ebay. The buyers are scammers, who will fill it again with $30 juice (clones) and sell it back, making impossible to spot a fake just by looking at the bottle and packaging (which are real).

Basically, now, anyone can become a counterfeiter.
    That, is beyond reproach!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/468...ilk?highlight= my for sale thread...

Grunge is dead... Long live Grunge...

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Scary. Checking a batch number doesn't mean a thing if they just refill said batch code marked bottles. Seems rather obvious but I'd not thought of that until reading this.
    There was an episode of FBI Files about a crook who set up shop and produced and sold counterfeited wines. He wasn't a charlatan by any means - he was a skilled wine expert, said to be the best in the New York wine community at identifying even rare vintages simply by tasting them. He would host very expensive wine parties with critics and big buyers, then tell the maitre d' to hang on to the bottles for him and he would collect them at the end of the party. He would use his skill to mix cheap wines to get something close to the vintage he was faking, package it back up and sell at auction. When re-using old bottles did not support the scale of his operation, he began a sophisticated label-making and ageing production process to manufacture new "old" bottles.

What fascinates me about this is how he got caught - he first aroused suspicion because of the quantities of rare wines to which he claimed access - quantities never seen before, and how his documentation regarding the provenance of the wines was weak or unconvincing. Then in the criminal investigation, wine "experts" working with the FBI noted that he made small mistakes in how he made the labels, using self-adhesive labels on 19th century vintages, small design deviations from authentic labels and, in an astonishing blunder inconsistent with his sharp mind but likely caused by blind greed, created fake wines of vintages that never actually existed.

I used the word "expert" in quotation marks above for a reason - at no time throughout the scam or the investigation did anyone raise a red flag because of the wine itself. Now this was just a one hour documentary so there could be more to this, but you would think that if one existed, they would mention at least one expert who was suspicious for the reason that mattered most to someone shelling out $25,000 for a bottle of wine, that the contents of which was merely a blend of wines from the local grocery store.

It's hard to police on the internet unless someone out there is selling and earning thousands and thousands of dollars per sale, which doesn't happen much in the fragrance world. If you're only making a hundred a pop, the worst that can happen is your account gets suspended. Then you create a new account and so on and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    It's hard to police on the internet unless someone out there is selling and earning thousands and thousands of dollars per sale, which doesn't happen much in the fragrance world. If you're only making a hundred a pop, the worst that can happen is your account gets suspended. Then you create a new account and so on and so on.
    It's especially hard when the venue is significantly complicit, passively or otherwise, in the dishonest behavior. Click on the link in my first post, and eBay steers you directly to a counterfeit Aventus for sale. It's ridiculous.

BTW, the seller of the empty sold what appears to be the same thing for $40 today on a best offer sale. Probably the same bottle. https://www.ebay.com/itm/133141177886?nordt=true&orig

Wow, I've seen it all now. FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS for an empty bottle??? What the ^$%#?

It actually pisses me off when I see people selling empty bottles on ebay. I want to message them and be like "hey so, do you actually WANT to contribute to other people getting scammed, or..."
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

I keep getting ads for the app called WISH. There are ads on that site for aventus for $6 and $14. LOL
    Now, even if that's a sample, which it's not, there's no way anyone is legit selling Aventus for anywhere near pocket change.

Dependent

I have that batch, its good.

Lol
    What if we found out that all the batches that everyone loves in here turned out to be the fakes. haha

I feel like it's some version of all of the above. Here's a $500 brick for sale on Ebay that some folks buy: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supreme-Bri...-/263701045125

Also, 16K11 is not rare at all. It can easily be had for around $300 BNIB.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ascotnot View Post

Then in the criminal investigation, wine "experts" working with the FBI noted that he made small mistakes in how he made the labels, using self-adhesive labels on 19th century vintages, small design deviations from authentic labels and, in an astonishing blunder inconsistent with his sharp mind but likely caused by blind greed, created fake wines of vintages that never actually existed.
    Rudy Kurniawan, a real scam artist.

Kurniawan listed on auction sale bottles of Clos-Saint-Denis from Domaine Ponsot of several vintages going from 1945 to 1971. Too bad the Domaine Ponsot did not bottle any Clos-Saint-Denis before 1982.

No experts to find the scam. Just a educated wine collector who contacted the winemaker, who confirmed the scam.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    Rudy Kurniawan, a real scam artist.

Kurniawan listed on auction sale bottles of Clos-Saint-Denis from Domaine Ponsot of several vintages going from 1945 to 1971. Too bad the Domaine Ponsot did not bottle any Clos-Saint-Denis before 1982.

No experts to find the scam. Just a educated wine collector who contacted the winemaker, who confirmed the scam.
    They interviewed Laurent Ponsot for that documentary. He is an interesting man - very intelligent and a very dry wit; he approached this very deliberately and patiently. He attended an auction and they showed the notes he had made in the auction catalog regarding the authenticity of the various lots.

The point being here that for all the fraud that occurred at Kurniawan's hands, nobody seems to have complained about the actual wine, which begs the question what in the world are they paying for - if they even know - when they laid out five figures for the 750ml of contents when it could be just a couple cups of Boone's Farm mixed with Thunderbird. That has a lot of relevance when the discussion turns to Aventus and its multitude of batches and clones, and the attendant price structure.