Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Lightbulb 'Mutant Fragrance' ;-)

Hi everyone.

I recently layered a smidge of Black Opium Nuit Blanche over Bvlgari Man in Black.

I enjoyed the result both for the interesting way it emerged and the sense of satisfaction in making a 'mutant' fragrance. ;-)

Am very eager to hear of any other combos that might work for a man.

Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: 'Mutant Fragrance' ;-)

Congratulations, you just discovered layering
    What I found out works very well is to layer some dark and heavy masculine fragrances like vetivers or ambers with something sweet, lightweight and fruity

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

OP - glad it worked out for you! I personally don't layer.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I seldom layer, but good combinations can definitely be discovered. Glad you are enjoying it. One that I recently tried and enjoyed greatly was Tom Ford Tobacco Oud layered with Tuscan Leather. Remember, there is nothing wrong with experimenting. Have fun!

Thank you for the layering recommendation shared with us, knowing these two fragrances, they might quite likely work well together.

So far, had the only success-as mentioned on similar other threads about comparable topics- while combining male and/or unisex fragrances together with Eau de Cedre Bleu by Yves Rocher and the regular Dior Homme EDT by Dior (while not liking so much the latter on its own).

Quote Originally Posted by Zizzy View Post
    Congratulations, you just discovered layering
    What I found out works very well is to layer some dark and heavy masculine fragrances like vetivers or ambers with something sweet, lightweight and fruity
    Will do. It's very interesting. Thank you Zizzy.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    OP - glad it worked out for you! I personally don't layer.
    Love your Profile name. Yes I can see how Layering can detract from the authors original intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Thank you for the layering recommendation shared with us, knowing these two fragrances, they might quite likely work well together.

So far, had the only success-as mentioned on similar other threads about comparable topics- while combining male and/or unisex fragrances together with Eau de Cedre Bleu by Yves Rocher and the regular Dior Homme EDT by Dior (while not liking so much the latter on its own).
    I am learning that it is very easy to create a car wreck out of two perfectly good fragrances.

Eau De Cedre Bleu in not familiar to me so I will keep an eye out. Dior Homme is in the wardrobe. Thank you for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    I seldom layer, but good combinations can definitely be discovered. Glad you are enjoying it. One that I recently tried and enjoyed greatly was Tom Ford Tobacco Oud layered with Tuscan Leather. Remember, there is nothing wrong with experimenting. Have fun!
    I've done that one in a Department Store. The sales guy wasn't that impressed I was fiddling around

Thanks for the Reply

Layering may be more synergistic if you do it within a house that has a signature accord. My most successful combo is Crown Spiced Limes with Crown Town & Country. I prefer to know the fragrances better so I can predict what they'll bring to each other with greater accuracy and sense of purpose, but there's nothing wrong with just going for it: the worst that happens is you smell bad for a few hours.