Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Let's talk about Drakkarr NIOR

Ok same like Basenotes , I share my collection and opinion on Facebook
    I'm about 30 colognes in the collection and Everytime I have a friend talk about Drakkarr , as I remember I didn't like it then at all, well maybe just a little.
    So I went and bought a bottle to smell it again maybe my nose have matured since the last time , and this was 20+ years ago.
    Well I the scent has toned down a bit but Drakkar is still there. It's not a scent that I would wear , it's not up there with what I like. I wear Aramis to Tsar , paco Rabanne PH , Azzaro pH those type and it's not my taste ..and to be quite honest it's a nauseous smell, I get headaches from it and makes my stomach swirl almost wish I didn't buy it
    So I posted my review and I'm surprised how many ppl really do like it..
    So what do you guys think of it.
    I mean it worthy to stand amongst my collection..I also have CURVE and it's the grosses frangrace I have ever smelled and own at the moment. I dislike it so much I use it as a air freshener for after my bathroom use lmao sorry for being honest but that bottle stays in my bathroom , damn if it gets ruins lol but Drakkar has its smell that's unique and I can see how alot ppl do like it, it's not just for me. Unlike Curve, Curve is just gross to me ..doesn't smells good at all

Default Re: Let's talk about Drakkarr NIOR

There are a lot of folks here who love Curve, so watch out.

Drakkar Noir was my father's fragrance and I have a nostalgic connection to it.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Hommage à L'Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men (vintage), Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    There are a lot of folks here who love Curve, so watch out.

Drakkar Noir was my father's fragrance and I have a nostalgic connection to it.
    You right so I reedit the post..like I said Drakkar has its place alotta folks like it ..maybe it will grow on me idk let's see , I mean it's been around since the early 80s for a reason. It just idk it's not something I'm use too at all so I'mma have to wear it more and more to grow on me. As for Curve it's very unattractive ..I own Curve Chill..not the original the FLANKER , and it's not good it's my honest opinion. It just F*#KIN SUCKS

Dude, Curve isn't that bad. Even if you don't like it, sure, ok. But to call out anyone who doesn't like it? That's some serious hate that I don't think Curve deserves.

I'm not a huge fan of either one but they both bring up nostalgia. My brother wore Drakkar HEAVILLY in the 80's and I wore Curve in the mid to late 90's.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

If you like Curve or any of the Flankers that's great for you , didn't like it in the 90s and I dont like now, it's MY OPINION not a fact ..my nose dont like it..if someone don't like it don't mean to offend anyone , it sucks to me , smells like cheap shit..it's a fragrance again in my opinion poorly done ..as for Drakkar , it's not bad , I have to grow into it..I gotta be easy on the spray, it does gives me a headace if I spray too much I got colognes that ppl don't like so what I like it .I'm not tryna hurt feelings here lol

Haha, yeah. Drakkar kind of makes me laugh. My brother loved it and ALL his friends wore it. When him and five or six of his friends were at the house, the whole place reeked of it.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Haha, yeah. Drakkar kind of makes me laugh. My brother loved it and ALL his friends wore it. When him and five or six of his friends were at the house, the whole place reeked of it.
    I think that's the main reason why I never bothered with Drakkar much , soooooo many ppl wore it and it just blew me off then, and now since noone is really wearing it I thought I'll give it a try

All my friends wore Drakkar everyone of them. In the 90s back then I was wearing mainly Santos de Cartier , declaration of Cartier. And Tsar , and Aramis thru 90s and early 2000s thats all I wear ..so I wasn't really tryna smell like everyone I wanted to stand out be differ back then..Drakkar don't suck at all it definitely has its place ..

Enjoying this fragrance and would love getting backups (especially but not necessarily vintage) of this one-since at least so far, this happens to be one of the better powerhouse fougeres did happen to test, own and enjoy in any fragrance category, even if compared to its niche, vintage, designer exclusive, limited edition and/or non mainstream-artisan counterparts/competitors with similar or comparable notes

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Enjoying this fragrance and would love getting backups (especially but not necessarily vintage) of this one-since at least so far, this happens to be one of the better powerhouse fougeres did happen to test, own and enjoy in any fragrance category, even if compared to its niche, vintage, designer exclusive, limited edition and/or non mainstream-artisan counterparts/competitors with similar or comparable notes
    It has definitely toned down alot in my opinion, it's not as strong as it was then. It does bring back alot good memories with my friends tho

I know they had a FLANKER just don't know the name of it , never smelled it or read that many discussion about it..what's it called again , is it any good or better?

Quote Originally Posted by Drjones152 View Post
    I know they had a FLANKER just don't know the name of it , never smelled it or read that many discussion about it..what's it called again , is it any good or better?

Only familiar with their Drakkar Dynamik late 90s flanker-fairly good as a both sweeter and fresher flanker, but most likely not that better than the regular Drakkar Noir to deserve the costlier vintage prices, there is also the Essence flanker did not sample nor test so far, therefore cannot really say anything about this one, as well as with the initial Drakkar from the 70s, this one being closer to the quality and complexity of Drakkar Noir and though discontinued and thus prices at vintage levels, likelier to be worth it than Dynamik

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Have always loved Drakkar Noir from the time it was first launched.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Absolutely love Drakkar Noir and find it interesting how it's a soapy fresh fougere that actually works best in cooler weather, where the fresh pine and coniferous qualities really work to impart a beautiful Scandinavian outdoorsy feeling. In very hot weather it gets a bit too heavy/mossy for me.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Drakarr Nior?

If that’s what your bottle says I’m pretty sure you’ve got a fake

Sorry, I get the urge to make that dickish joke every time I see a misspelled scent name in a title. I’m sure I’ve misspelled plenty myself as well, particularly thanks to autocorrect.

For me Drakkar Noir will forever be associated with taxi drivers and over application. It’s an interesting snapshot of a certain point in time, but I prefer to keep my distance. Even though it contains elements that I should in theory like, the scent associations have ruined it for me.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Dunhill Icon by Dunhill

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I was about to discuss the historical significance of Drakkar Noir in regards to the masculine perfume market in hopes of helping you understand why people like it, but then you went and invalidated everyone who likes Curve (an entirely different scent) which is snobbery I can't abide.

Maybe you should think about how you present your opinions if you want to interact with this community. There's a reason rule number one is "please be civil and respectful"

Note: I see you've edited your post. That's a good step.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Monsieur Jovan by Jovan

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    It had been said that the original Caesars Man did a good job of substituting for the original DN after reformulation; now, ironically, the original DN will set you back less than a bottle of the vintage Caesars Man.

Regardless, there are so many available fragrances that are similar from the prohibitively expensive like Gucci Nobile and Rive Gauche to the ridiculously cheap like Lomani Pour Homme, Taxi, Ed Hardy S&R and Dakar. In the middle are offerings from Houbigant, Montana, VCA and Givenchy - all a little different but all with core similarities. With a couple of exceptions, none are really better or worse as much as they are simply different.
    Currently wearing: Black by Kenneth Cole

Blog Entries

I just smells like shaving cream to me.. hard not to like
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler
    Currently wearing: Wild Forest by Armand Basi

Drakkar Noir, another fragrance my late father would mummify himself in.

Well I'm gonna give Drakkar a shot , again, not all nose are the same I would want to like it but let's see , I never gaved it a chance...again about Curve Chill the FLANKER I own, it's just smells like a bunch of chemicals like floor detergent or something like fabaloso..if u like fine..it's no way I can wear , my wife literally told me to never wear that shit again, she almost puked , I had to shower that smell off, I bought it reading reviews so many ppl like it , but then again everyone is not like everyone , some may like it and some may not. As for the the people who does like , to each it's own..that's your thing not mine..it's just a cheap poorly made fragrance put together in a bottle..as for Drakkar I will post up my opnion on it , I came in from work and imma bout to shower and try it over night and see if I like it , maybe is top notes I don't like cause I never gaved it along time shot to smell the drydown

Ok I must admit , I'm digging this Drakkar noir ..it's not bad at all the dry down is powdery almost like Barbar shop scent , hard to describe it's unique but pretty good , maybe cause it's toned down a notch ..earlier today as I first sprayed I was like nah not for me, and washed it off , but I'm giving a chance to drydown ..and yes I do like it

Ok same like Basenotes , I share my collection and opinion on Facebook
    Well I the scent has toned down a bit but Drakkar is still there...
    and to be quite honest it's a nauseous smell, I get headaches from it and makes my stomach swirl almost wish I didn't buy it.
    Cool Water and Drakkar Noir both give me headaches. I'm guessing it's the dihydromyrcenol in both.

So what do you guys think of it.
    It's one of my all-time favorites that I don't wear. As a kid I remember smelling Drakkar Noir, along with Brut and Eternity, so there's a nostalgic element to it. I associate that scent as the bottled essence of the "cool guy," like Knight Rider or David Addison.

As an adult, I have a love/hate relationship with it. On most people it can smell great: Fresh, clean, and sporty. On some people like myself, it can smell cheap, obnoxious, and dirty.
    I've just recently got Al Rehab Dakar roll-on oil, and it seems to remove all the things I dislike about the current Drakkar Noir, while accentuating all the good things about it. Wearing that scent with a leather jacket on during a cold night, is like the perfect combination.

Unlike Curve, Curve is just gross to me ..doesn't smells good at all
    I like Curve, but I don't wear it because I feel that sticky synthetic smell is a little cloying on me. I bought a bottle of the new stuff just to have in my collection. It also has nostalgic connotations for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    Cool Water and Drakkar Noir both give me headaches. I'm guessing it's the dihydromyrcenol in both.

It's one of my all-time favorites that I don't wear. As a kid I remember smelling Drakkar Noir, along with Brut and Eternity, so there's a nostalgic element to it. I associate that scent as the bottled essence of the "cool guy," like Knight Rider or David Addison.

As an adult, I have a love/hate relationship with it. On most people it can smell great: Fresh, clean, and sporty. On some people like myself, it can smell cheap, obnoxious, and dirty.
    I've just recently got Al Rehab Dakar roll-on oil, and it seems to remove all the things I dislike about the current Drakkar Noir, while accentuating all the good things about it. Wearing that scent with a leather jacket on during a cold night, is like the perfect combination.

I like Curve, but I don't wear it because I feel that sticky synthetic smell is a little cloying on me. I bought a bottle of the new stuff just to have in my collection. It also has nostalgic connotations for me.
    It smells nice , and I wanted to give it a chance, but right now I have a big head ache .I love cool water but it also gives me a headache that's it's for me , it's a cologne I'll wear once inawhile.as for Curve, if ppl dislikes me for saying but it's just not a good frangrace. Just smells like a bunch chemicals that belongs in the floor to clean or something like air freshener..

I liked it back in the day when I was in the artillery unit. Unfortunately do did everybody else then. I prefer it in smaller doses of course but ‘em dudebros wouldn’t leave camp without emptying half a bottle among themselves. I’d love to get a decant of the vintage just for nostalgia sake.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Freed from BN Institution

I remember not being impressed by it when I tried it many years ago. The lavender was bit too much for me, it might be time to revisit it to see if my thoughts have changed.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Woto by Deviline

Blog Entries

Well I'm gonna give Drakkar a shot , again, not all nose are the same I would want to like it but let's see , I never gaved it a chance...again about Curve Chill the FLANKER I own, it's just smells like a bunch of chemicals like floor detergent or something like fabaloso..if u like fine..it's no way I can wear , my wife literally told me to never wear that shit again, she almost puked , I had to shower that smell off, I bought it reading reviews so many ppl like it , but then again everyone is not like everyone , some may like it and some may not. As for the the people who does like , to each it's own..that's your thing not mine..it's just a cheap poorly made fragrance put together in a bottle..as for Drakkar I will post up my opnion on it , I came in from work and imma bout to shower and try it over night and see if I like it , maybe is top notes I don't like cause I never gaved it along time shot to smell the drydown
    Curve Chill is actually pretty nice, I like it. Smells almost identical to Chrome but with more of the Curve DNA. If you don't like Chill, stay away from the insanely popular Chrome, or your wife will hate you.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler
    Currently wearing: Wild Forest by Armand Basi

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Curve Chill is actually pretty nice, I like it. Smells almost identical to Chrome but with more of the Curve DNA. If you don't like Chill, stay away from the insanely popular Chrome, or your wife will hate you.
    I read alot negative stuff about chrome , and Azzaro PH is a really really good cologne I own it. It's like the worst FLANKER made..oh well yeah idk something over powers that smell for me that makes me not like it

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I remember not being impressed by it when I tried it many years ago. The lavender was bit too much for me, it might be time to revisit it to see if my thoughts have changed.
    What you talking about Curve Chill or Drakkar

Alright so I put on Drakkar last night and I really think it's a nice cologne , not the best but not the worst..it last a very long time cause I'm waking up it to it on myself but weak . something about the cologne just gives me a headache and I think that's the reason why I don't like it much , but B.S a side , it's a nice smell, alot better then what they got in the department stores shelves tell u that much

Quote Originally Posted by ascotnot View Post
    It had been said that the original Caesars Man did a good job of substituting for the original DN after reformulation; now, ironically, the original DN will set you back less than a bottle of the vintage Caesars Man.

Regardless, there are so many available fragrances that are similar from the prohibitively expensive like Gucci Nobile and Rive Gauche to the ridiculously cheap like Lomani Pour Homme, Taxi, Ed Hardy S&R and Dakar. In the middle are offerings from Houbigant, Montana, VCA and Givenchy - all a little different but all with core similarities. With a couple of exceptions, none are really better or worse as much as they are simply different.

Thank you for mentioning each and for their descriptions-would be willing to retest each of the ones already familiar with and test the ones not known/sampled so far