Code of Conduct

Default I've stop using regular razors to double edge razors and never looked back again

IMG_20190815_014144.jpghey guys so I've been in this art of shaving lately, so what I do is with a warm towel , I put around my face for a few minutes , with the pre shaving I put it on my face , massage it in, the use shaving butter with the brush or shaving cream, I never used shaving soap but I'll be ordering that in a bit, with the razor I shave the best shave in my life.
    , I told myself ill never buy them modern type razors again, this way of shaving will leave your skin so smooth , a very close shave lol.so I'm looking into a shaving soap kitScreenshot_20190815-014503.jpgScreenshot_20190815-014503.jpgScreenshot_20190815-014816.jpgI'm thinking of buying one or two of these ..is it worth it ?the soap? Or a good shaving cream brush will do in a reg coffee mug , but that's not art..I want something nice Everytime I'm ready to shave , with style..some input will help,and guys , if u haven't tried using this style of shaving your missing out the best shave if your life

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: I've stop using regular razors to double edge razors and never looked back again

I use double edge razors if I've got the time and in the mood. My favorites are Yaqi adjustable, Gillette Fatboy, Redtip and Old type. I use Feather blades most of the time. I've got brushes but almost never use them anymore.

If I'm in a hurry, two passes with a Gillette Guard and Body Shopp Maca root shave cream work out just fine.
    I always finish up a shave with some Dickinson's Witch Hazel toner.

Default Re: I've stop using regular razors to double edge razors and never looked back again

Great lineup so far-did personally experience to this point just moderate success with switching to DE, however several of these were indeed more through and mild choices at the same time, often depending on the combination between the blade, brush, soap/cream and pre-shave products chosen

Congratulations on your wet shaving journey. A good double edge razor is a good start. Merkur makes really good ones. A regular merkur is more than enough. Avoid the fancy adjustables like futur. More settings means more learning curve. Feather blades are good but quite harsh for beginners. Id recomend the merkur blades as they are more easy to use.
    The next progression would be a straight razor. Start off with a shavette. A cheap gilette is good to experiment. Feather and merkur make high end shavettes as well.
    Fixed straights is a whole different story. Very rewarding but a whole different discussion.

Pre shave my favorite is taylor of bond street herbal preshave gel.

Creams to try...
    Tobs avacado
    Acqua di parma colonia shaving cream
    Penhaligons sartorial or castile

Soaps to try
    Creed original vetiver
    Mitchels wool fat soap
    Martin de candre

Post shave repair - a decent alum bar
    Post shave soothing - neils yard witch hazel
    Post shave mousturizing - clinique
    Post shave fragrance - endless choices...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne

Quote Originally Posted by satyen View Post
    The next progression would be a straight razor. Start off with a shavette.
    You've left out the part where if one gets a shavette, it may also be wise to get a styptic pencil (or several of them).
    Cheers,
    Renato

Basenotes Plus

I prefer an alum block vs a styptic pencil/stick. I always pat dry my alum block and let it sit to dry completely before storing it away.
    The Gentleman Jon block has been a good one for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Blain View Post
    I prefer an alum block vs a styptic pencil/stick. I always pat dry my alum block and let it sit to dry completely before storing it away.
    The Gentleman Jon block has been a good one for me.
    Alum works great most of the time for small nicks - I've got lots of alum blocks and crystal deodorant sticks (same thing as the alum block).
    Use a shavette though, and it's totally inadequate for all the blood flow.
    The aluminium sulphate styptic pencil works much better on the multiple big nicks.

I use both DE and cartridge. I prefer the single pass cartridge razor to the multiple pass DE razor. Though both types are fun for variety.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Alum works great most of the time for small nicks - I've got lots of alum blocks and crystal deodorant sticks (same thing as the alum block).
    Use a shavette though, and it's totally inadequate for all the blood flow.
    The aluminium sulphate styptic pencil works much better on the multiple big nicks.

I use both DE and cartridge. I prefer the single pass cartridge razor to the multiple pass DE razor. Though both types are fun for variety.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Second styptic pencil for cuts, the alum block won't help.

Dependent

I don't need to be to sophisticated to shave my beard, been using Gillette's 3 blade razors for years for a perfect shave every time on the shower when I shampoo my hair, simple and quick.
    Currently wearing: Charismatic by Pecksniff's

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Second styptic pencil for cuts, the alum block won't help.
    Hi Alex,
    Long time since we've caught up.
    I've still got two aluminium sulphate styptic pencils which will probably last me forever, since I tend to use them two or three times a year.
    But I haven't seen them being sold anywhere here lately - have you seen them anywhere please?
    Cheers,
    Renato

I have only ever used cartridge razors.

Los Angeles, CA- too damn close to Scent Bar

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    I have only ever used cartridge razors.
    They work fine honestly. I can get a great shave from a Gillette Fusion. Plus it's nearly impossible to nick yourself.

But I get a much better shave from a DE. Crazy better. It is however more than a bit of a learning curve and I don't advocate it unless it calls to you. I got into to it because I was always in search of a better shave and I enjoyed the tradition and the ritual of it. It takes longer and it takes more patience, so it is not for everyone.

It's technically cheaper in that the best DE blades are about 50 cents each, but that sort of gets offset by the outlay for razors, scuttles and the inevitable wet shaver collecting of brushes, creams, soaps, etc.
    Currently Loving:

Bois du Portugal
    Invasion Barbare
    Le 3e Homme
    Ormande Jayne Man
    New York Intense
    Patchouli Intense
    Naxos
    Ombre Leather
    Clubman/Canoe/Wild Country/Azzaro Pour Homme
    Currently wearing: No. 89 by Floris

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    It's technically cheaper in that the best DE blades are about 50 cents each, .
    US 50 cents a blade!!!

What are those expensive blades please?

Astra SPs can be bought for US 13 cents each if bought in bulk.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100Pack-...4AAOSwbm9eGNAK

Or around US 6 cents each for Derby Extra Blue.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Derby-Ex...UAAOSw9sZa8-U6

Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 22nd May 2020 at 02:41 PM.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by satyen View Post
    The next progression would be a straight razor. Start off with a shavette.
    I would suggest a shavette isn't anywhere near the same as using a straight razor. The closest I've felt are the Feather Artist type (or for budget options the CJB Shavette) as they use a longer, marginally thicker blade. Even then, they're not the same feel as a straight.
    In short, to get into straights, if you can find the continual effort for their upkeep, ensuring they're dry after use, stropped before and after use, honed every now and again to keep hair-whittling sharp then a straight razor is the only true option.
    If you want to try your hand at an exposed blade, then the shavette is alright. I much prefer the like of the Feather Artists/CJB shavette/Kai Kamisori shavette to the (often cheaper) half-DE blade shavettes.
    Styptic pencil is a good shout, but ultimately be careful when using it, take it easy and make sure your lather is slick!

Basenotes Junkie

Good to see another one using this kind of gear. I had assumed that it uses up less resources, too, and so could be more environmentally friendly, although I stand to be corrected.

They work fine honestly. I can get a great shave from a Gillette Fusion. Plus it's nearly impossible to nick yourself.

But I get a much better shave from a DE. Crazy better. It is however more than a bit of a learning curve and I don't advocate it unless it calls to you. I got into to it because I was always in search of a better shave and I enjoyed the tradition and the ritual of it. It takes longer and it takes more patience, so it is not for everyone.

It's technically cheaper in that the best DE blades are about 50 cents each, but that sort of gets offset by the outlay for razors, scuttles and the inevitable wet shaver collecting of brushes, creams, soaps, etc.
    I'm interested in trying. For the meantime, however, I find cartridges to be easy and convenient.

Los Angeles, CA- too damn close to Scent Bar

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    I'm interested in trying. For the meantime, however, I find cartridges to be easy and convenient.
    They are convenient and easy to use- just criminally pricey now.

DE really isn't something to embraced casually. There is a capitol outlay for a razor and blades. It is also best to step up from "canned goo" to shave soaps or creams used with a brush.

Plus you really have to put some research/study time into using the DE )plant of online tutorials). You can be very aggressive in ripping a cartridge up and down your face and neck. The DE takes a very light touch and finesse, watching razor angle and letting weight of razor head do the work. You will cut and nick yourself first few shaves for sure.

Don't get me started on the straight razors... those frighten me. Big respect to those who use them, that's the ultimate manly man shave. But that's too much for me to take on.
    Currently Loving:

Bois du Portugal
    Invasion Barbare
    Le 3e Homme
    Ormande Jayne Man
    New York Intense
    Patchouli Intense
    Naxos
    Ombre Leather
    Clubman/Canoe/Wild Country/Azzaro Pour Homme
    Currently wearing: No. 89 by Floris

They are convenient and easy to use- just criminally pricey now.

DE really isn't something to embraced casually. There is a capitol outlay for a razor and blades. It is also best to step up from "canned goo" to shave soaps or creams used with a brush.

Plus you really have to put some research/study time into using the DE )plant of online tutorials). You can be very aggressive in ripping a cartridge up and down your face and neck. The DE takes a very light touch and finesse, watching razor angle and letting weight of razor head do the work. You will cut and nick yourself first few shaves for sure.

Don't get me started on the straight razors... those frighten me. Big respect to those who use them, that's the ultimate manly man shave. But that's too much for me to take on.
    I'll be sure to do my homework before I start.

I’m definitely in this club. All started because of a one-off but annoying ingrown hair in my lip area 7 years ago. I woke up one morning and had a lip that looked like it’d been in a fight with Frank Bruno’s fist. My doctor said it was likely due to shaving and at the time I was using a 4 bladed cartridge - Wilkinson Sword Quattro.

I was getting a bit fed up with the rising cost of cartridges anyway - that had led to me ditching the Mach 3 for the Quattro as the cartridges were slightly cheaper. Decided it would make sense to try a razor with fewer blades. I’d not minded using disposable two blade cartridges but then I remembered those old school style razor blades, which I’d had an imitation of on a chain once. I did a bit of research, was impressed by how much cheaper the DE blades were, stumbled across Geofatboy’s shaving channel on YouTube and decided to try a Wilkinson Sword Classic. I much preferred the shaves I was getting and bought an Edwin Jagger DE89 a few months later. Enjoyed the shaves even more after that!

Switching to DE shaving is what ultimately got me more interested in fragrances via the variety of different scented creams and soaps you can get.
    Currently wearing: Allure Homme by Chanel

Basenotes Plus

Anyone wanting to make the move away from cartridges should definitely consider trying the Gillette Guard razors. They are a single edge blades housed in a nice open-comb cartridge. They are mainly sold in India, but can be bought dirt cheap on popular auction sites.

If you're tired of razor burn, try some better shaving cream/soap and don't push blades to the bitter end.

I had always used cartridge razors and thought that's all there's to it. The learning curve was pretty much nonexistent. I had never really learned to shave. I got my first DE shaving kit in June last year. It's been a long, frustrating and painful but also rewarding learning curve. If you have a member of the family who uses a DE razor that's a big help, otherwise you're left to learn it the hard way. I don't know how many times I almost gave it up.

It's totally different than using cr (cartridge razors). With cr you've to put pressure; with DE you must not. I shaved this morning and I had no problems. It went smooth and satisfying and was left with an irritation-free BBS. But I'm almost ashamed to say that it took me almost a year to get to this point. After three months, I thought I almost got there but I didn't. I was still putting pressure which inevitably led to irritation. It's only lately that my brain finally figured out how not to put pressure. It's the key. Now, for example, when going against the grain I balance the razor between my fingers and the face and let the razor slide without putting almost no pressure and it works fantastically. It's easier said than done, though.

I shave with a Merkur 34C. I wish I got this razor when I started, but now I find it too mild so I'm looking for a more efficient razor.

I use Personna blades. These went from my least favorite to now my favorite blades.

Basenotes Plus

A vintage Schick Krona with Feather blade make a good combo also.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Hi Alex,
    Long time since we've caught up.
    I've still got two aluminium sulphate styptic pencils which will probably last me forever, since I tend to use them two or three times a year.
    But I haven't seen them being sold anywhere here lately - have you seen them anywhere please?
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Hi Renato. Good to hear from you, hope you are surviving the isolation just fine.
    My last styptic pencil I bought from the local pharmacy was a Surgipack brand. You can still find them in local pharmacies but not in major supermarkets or Chemist Warehouse.
    I just found a Taylor's styptic pencil available on Bearandblade.com.au and they deliver for free if your order is $20 or more.
    I noted that you, like me, prefer cartridges to the DE blades. See my latest post on the Shave of the Day. I too had a great shave using Gillette Mach3. Those de razors are def a challenge even for me after years of trying different razor/blade combinations.
    I just received a Feather Popular razor but haven't tried it yet.
    I've heard it is a mild razor.
    My Edwin Jagger DE89 is on an aggressive side for my skin. Unless it is my technique?
    Stay safe mate. PM me if you need anything.
    I have some BiC, Israeli Personnas, Feathers, Derby de blades I can send you to try. Just yell out.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Hi Renato. Good to hear from you, hope you are surviving the isolation just fine.
    My last styptic pencil I bought from the local pharmacy was a Surgipack brand. You can still find them in local pharmacies but not in major supermarkets or Chemist Warehouse.
    I just found a Taylor's styptic pencil available on Bearandblade.com.au and they deliver for free if your order is $20 or more.
    I noted that you, like me, prefer cartridges to the DE blades. See my latest post on the Shave of the Day. I too had a great shave using Gillette Mach3. Those de razors are def a challenge even for me after years of trying different razor/blade combinations.
    I just received a Feather Popular razor but haven't tried it yet.
    I've heard it is a mild razor.
    My Edwin Jagger DE89 is on an aggressive side for my skin. Unless it is my technique?
    Stay safe mate. PM me if you need anything.
    I have some BiC, Israeli Personnas, Feathers, Derby de blades I can send you to try. Just yell out.
    Cheers
    Hi Alex,
    Thanks for information.
    I was thinking of buying another styptic pencil to throw into my overseas travel pack with my alum, so that I don't forget it when travelling overseas (when and if that will ever be).

I think you'll like your Feather Popular razor - try a Feather blade in it and then in the Jagger D89, and I'm pretty sure you'll notice the Feather Popular will give you the milder shave. I'm not a fan of most flip top DE razors including the old Gillette ones, but the Feather Popular is the exception.

If you have a rough time with the relatively mild D89, my suggestion is to avoid all the Platinum and Chrome blades in it and stick to the stainless steel ones (though they might be okay in your Feather razor). I find Shark Stainless Steel are the mildest blades - but only good for about two or three shaves, while Dorco Stainless steel is sharper, lasts longer, but is nowhere near as vicious as the more problematic sharper blades (I seem to be the only person at Badger&Blade who liked them).

Thanks for the offer on the blades, but I bought two trial packs and have over 30 (maybe 40) blade brands, and I think I've only tested about 25% of them.

One quick note, don't forget that shaving with DE isn't the same as shaving with cartridge. With cartridge one mainly uses wrist action with the razor. But with DE one is meant to pretty much lock the wrist in place and use arm action (or so says the guidance at Badger&Blade and assorted YouTube videos). This of course is hard to do if one is often switching between the two.
    Cheers,
    Renato