Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
o

Blog Entries

Default Re: Still making Basenotes Awesomer / more info / cake sale / new BN Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Would it be possible to change the color of our stars from yellow to green?
    l like the yellow stars myself. lt's like getting a "gold star" at school.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Missing Oakmoss

Default Re: Still making Basenotes Awesomer / more info / cake sale / new BN Plus

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    l like the yellow stars myself. lt's like getting a "gold star" at school.
    I like the yellow stars, too...they contrast nicely and harmoniously with the green.

Hey maybe I can code it so you can choose what colour your stars are

Basenotes Plus

I may have missed this, as I haven’t scanned all the way back, but: mobile-friendly and a secure login page would be my top two requests.
    Currently wearing: Rocabar by Hermès

Basenotes Junkie ClockworkAlice's Avatar

That's great news!
    I'm also for keeping the colour green - and I actually like the new logo. The current one is lovely, but it gets lost and really doesn't look good as a small thumbnail, so I'm seeing this as an upgrade. The similarity to soundwaves doesn't bother me - I on the contrary find it kind of cool, like an idea of a perfume that sings loudly and you can hear about it from afar
    I'm seconding PStoller that mobile friendly site and secure login page would be the top priorities - and I personally would be very glad if our perfume wear counts didn't get lost during transition. Hoping for that! Also - if some of the fragrances would get their separate pages for different concentrations (for example, like EDT and EDP for Narciso Rodriguez For Her or Coco Mademoiselle that are now merged) - would it be possible to somehow transfer your wear counts to the right concentration? It's definitely not a top priority though.

Thank you for caring for the site!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

WooHoo! I say, 'Let them eat cake!'
    Summer grasses
    All that remain
    Of warriors' dreams--Basho

Basenotes Plus

Could the "spray" of the logo (which a couple people said looks like wifi) be a .gif? Like actual spraying dots or line that are moving or flash on and off? Or is that not preferable for the logo? I don't know how logo's with moving images act in the context of websites, etc...
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    Though it happened by chance, green is now the signature color of Basenotes. I also vote for keeping it
    I agree with furrypine, I like the green.

Money sent to help keep this site great.

Update: sent again as I must have made a mistake when I sent on the 19th.
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 31st August 2019 at 01:11 AM.
    No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.
    Currently wearing: Nuit Épicée by Decennial

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Yes please do so Grant!
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Angélique Encens by Creed

Banned

That would be fun.

not right, in the head

....................................... Central PA
    Blog Entries

Funds sent!

Make mine Carrot Cake with cream cheese icing!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/468...ilk?highlight= my for sale thread...

Grunge is dead... Long live Grunge...
    Currently wearing: Aether by CinisLabs

Another vote for green, and in the current shade. The secure site would be great.

Basenotes Junkie

I like keeping it green! Blue would be second choice but green seems to be the consensus, which is fine with me. The new icon is cool. I don't mind the wifi/spray aspect. Could be seen as sort of a visual pun on the nexus between the message and the medium.

Anyway, cake ordered! Keep up the good work!

not right, in the head

....................................... Central PA
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the cake! It's such a cute, little icon!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/468...ilk?highlight= my for sale thread...

Grunge is dead... Long live Grunge...
    Currently wearing: Aether by CinisLabs

Basenotes Plus

Cake sale! Thanks Grant for all of the hard work! And I'm so sorry your child has been having health issues.
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Untitled.jpg
    Ok so, A*Men "Ulimate" is in the directory. I thought it was "Ultimate". Can someone correct this please?

Oops, wrong section/thread! Pardon.
    Currently wearing: Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    Untitled.jpg
    Ok so, A*Men "Ulimate" is in the directory. I thought it was "Ultimate". Can someone correct this please?

Oops, wrong section/thread! Pardon.
    Woops. Yes, we will fix it.
    No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.
    Currently wearing: Sunday by Arielle Shoshana

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    Woops. Yes, we will fix it.
    Missing a T eh?.. Not something a Brit should ever do.
    Summer grasses
    All that remain
    Of warriors' dreams--Basho

Always be smelling

So any updates?
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Bellodgia by Caron

Grant, I hope your child’s health is improving.

I’d like to second some of the suggestions above, like not too heavy on the commercial looking visuals; an uncluttered look with white space around the text makes it easiest to see the topics. Agree with keeping the current green theme. If you were looking for something more striking, white bottle on a green background is more forceful than green on white, while maintaining the tradition. In the samples I did not see the General perfume discussion topic, which I think is very important to be right up front like it is now.

Quarry mentioned the term “gender neutral,” in relation to the colour scheme, It could also be applied to the discussion areas. I feel terms like “female fragrance discussion” and “male fragrance discussion” are ambiguous and can give the impression that the ladies sit and talk in one forum and the gents in another. If we must separate the perfumes by gender (which today and especially in niche is becoming very fuzzy) I think more appropriate terminology could be something like “fragrances marketed to women” or “feminine fragrances discussion” and “fragrances marketed to men” or “masculine fragrances discussion.” Also, with all the gender-neutral scents on the market today, would a discussion category for them be useful?

Looking forward to seeing and using the new site. It all sounds very exciting.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon
    Currently wearing: No. 22 Parfum by Chanel

I agree with your notions, Fiveoaksbouquet. First and foremost regarding the well wishes. And then, after a long pause, also in regards to retaining what is presently made rather well and to punctually improve where it may be necessary. Though to also provide you with another perspective, as someone who explores in the sense of reading reviews and threads for the most part, I was not aware that and therefore not bothered by there reportedly being separate forum sections for fragrances marketed to such or such members. I happen to, if you could say so, like the expression marketed to as this describes the intention but it leaves enough room for curiosity and, even though I personally do not particularly like the expression yet while it may partially describe me, unconventionality.
    Last edited by xaml; 3rd November 2019 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Maybe because silliness got the better of me. ����

For me personally, I'd get rid of the feminine / masculine split entirely, but that is entirely my personal preference. The way I browse this forum is by looking at the 'New Posts' option at the top.

Introducing an 'unisex' or 'gender neutral' forum is a bit of a wonky proposition since a lot of the unisex fragrances mainly in niche do lean one way or another after all. The risk is that people will continue to post topics about fragrances which haven't a gender assigned by their creators in the gendered forums, whilst neglecting the new gender neutral one.

It's tricky, isn't it.

a quarter million, tops

I like the green, but if I were to pick a different color it would be orange. I think both blue and pink would be classically gendered colors. Although that pink is sharp. Reminds me of the late 80s early 90s. Like the Hart Foundation wrestlers? Awesome.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    For me personally, I'd get rid of the feminine / masculine split entirely, but that is entirely my personal preference. The way I browse this forum is by looking at the 'New Posts' option at the top.

Introducing an 'unisex' or 'gender neutral' forum is a bit of a wonky proposition since a lot of the unisex fragrances mainly in niche do lean one way or another after all. The risk is that people will continue to post topics about fragrances which haven't a gender assigned by their creators in the gendered forums, whilst neglecting the new gender neutral one.

It's tricky, isn't it.
    Tricky indeed. My preference would be to get rid of those categories too.That's why I qualified my suggestion with "If we must…"
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon
    Currently wearing: No. 22 Parfum by Chanel

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    So any updates?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4zyjLyBp64

Basenotes Plus

Grant , is ti still possible to get some cake ,
    or has the sale ended.
    Sorry about your child's health.

Basenotes Plus

Are we still able to suggest improvements? If so, something that would be useful to me (maybe others too) is when I click on a note listed on a frags pyramid on the fragrances' individual detail pages, instead of it giving me just every fragrance that has that note, be able to sort it by what's in my collection, or even by gender. There have been many times I am trying to remember what past fragrance I've either had or tried reminds me of a new one with similar notes. Clicking on any note usually brings back thousands of results which isn't really helpful. Thanks!

Grant, I hope your child's health is improved/improving. Warm and supportive thoughts from across the pond.

I think this would be a *fantastic* benefit - perhaps a perk of being a BN-Plus contributor? Default star color is yellow/gold, but BN-Plus members get to choose their color(s)? I would vote for a rainbow array option, myself.

I'm a bit late to the party, but dessert donation sent!

Also, I like the "Basenotes green" option for the new logo - And, to Mike's point about the "spray" looking a bit like like wifi (I agree) but not wanting motion in a logo... How about making the "spray" out of dots instead of lines? That way it'll looks less like wifi *and* we won't need to worry about moving gifs.

My two cents.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

Always be smelling

So any updates?
    Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    If I missed any announcements, I apologize.

I just came on to say that I haven’t been posting because Tapatalk is my primary means of access to the forum. The site is not mobile friendly and I’m mostly on the go. Sadly, this will result in continued loss of general participation from me and eventually me not renewing any subscriptions. I do hope to see resolution of this current state. I will try to post as I can on a desktop but that’s not going to work for me long term.

Best wishes to all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    Very understandable. My participation is also decreased by this. No statements from Grant that he is fixing this any time soon. I'm very disappointed he hasn't posted any news of his "progress" and it's starting to feel like the site is going to die a slow painful death.

Grant et al you need to give us some update here please.
    There are lot of folks here who can help with site, tech, etc.
    We have already helped with money.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    I just came on to say that I haven’t been posting because Tapatalk is my primary means of access to the forum. The site is not mobile friendly and I’m mostly on the go.
    Have you tried accessing the website using a capable internet browser for mobile devices? I dislike using too many mobile applications as well as mobile versions of websites for internet browsers on mobile devices because this usually leads to a loss in functionality, so I have been using the standard view here and in my view it works rather well if one is content with making use of the zoom and moving around the website from time to time. In case an oversimplified mobile view is imposed, which fortunately is not the case here, one may have to enable what is referred to as desktop view, but this does not always work because mobile view sometimes keeps getting imposed without a choice.