Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
o

Default Re: Still making Basenotes Awesomer / more info / cake sale / new BN Plus

Sorry for the delay in response to the thread, I've had a long runs of kids being ill, various family commitments, and a wedding in the last few months.

Small updates:

* The issue we had with the advertiser is now resolved finally, so that is a huuuuuuge relief. I can now concentrate on the updates
    * Tapatalk should be working now. Let me know if any issues.
    * I'm sticking with Basenotes Green for the colour scheme

I'm going to commit to doing a weekly-ish update on the thread so people know what's going on. Communication isn't my forté, but I'm going to try and do better.

Always be smelling

Default Re: Still making Basenotes Awesomer / more info / cake sale / new BN Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Sorry for the delay in response to the thread, I've had a long runs of kids being ill, various family commitments, and a wedding in the last few months.

Small updates:

* The issue we had with the advertiser is now resolved finally, so that is a huuuuuuge relief. I can now concentrate on the updates

I'm going to commit to doing a weekly-ish update on the thread so people know what's going on. Communication isn't my forté, but I'm going to try and do better.
    Thanks for the update Grant.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Cialenga by Balenciaga

Basenotes Plus

Small updates:

All this is greatly appreciated, but my greatest concern is, how are your kids now?
    Currently wearing: Lancetti Uomo by Lancetti

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Small updates:

I'm the weirdo who uses mobile browser in desktop mode and pinches to expand/zoom so Tapatalk was never on the table for me, but glad to see the certificate renewed, cuz it was making my security plugins on my desktop browser go nuts XD

Also, hope the kids are well, congrats to the newlyweds, happy holidays to you, and keep smellin' like a felon!
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Legend by Montblanc

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I'm the weirdo who uses mobile browser in desktop mode and pinches to expand/zoom so Tapatalk was never on the table for me, but glad to see the certificate renewed, cuz it was making my security plugins on my desktop browser go nuts
    Yeah, I do that on my iPhone, too.

But, regarding security: while technically, the site loads in my desktop browser if I switch to https, it's pretty much unreadable and unnavigable if I do. Grant, is this something that can be addressed? It would be best if the site (including all internal links) defaulted to https.

Okay, as promised more updates.

The plan originally was to have the new forums and new directory pages launch at the same time. One of the main reasons I wanted to do this was because the directory would need a lot of code-fiddling to get it working with the new forums, and it seemed like it would be a better idea to just launch everything at the same time.

However, I've not had the opportunity I'd have like to work on this, so we are going to PLAN B

Plan B is -- do the forums first, do the directory later.

The forums are in dire need of upgrading. The software that runs them is donkeys years old. So here's the plan:

1. Update the current directory code to work with the new software. This would normally be fairly straight forward but there's a slight complication. The new forum software needs a newer version of PHP than we currently use. All of the ancient directory code works fine currently, but won't work on upgraded PHP software. This means me basically going through each line of code that won't be compatible and rewriting it. Time consuming, but quicker than re-coding the whole thing.
    2. Do a test import. Get all of the 20 years worth of forum posts in the new software, and allow access to any members who want to test it
    3. Do lots of testing
    4. Go live, and switch out the old forums for the new forums. This is likely to include a bit of downtime. It will likely be over a weekend, and I'll give you all plenty of notice.
    5. Bug hunting and feature requests. Once the new forums are up and running, there will likely be lots of bugs and things to fix. I'll deal with all that, then it will be on to stage two, which will be ALL NEW DIRECTORY and general site relaunch.

Wish me luck - currently still on Stage 1, but this should be done by end of year, providing no weird emergencies come up.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Sounds like a plan, but best of luck if it helps, and may the force be with you, etc.

Thanks for updating us. Really appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com
    Currently wearing: tba by Unknown

Literally the best news of 2019 so far
    Many thanks for what you do, Grant!!

Basenotes Plus

Great news, Grant, and I volunteer in advance to help with testing.

Blog Entries

Thanks Grant, l'll volunteer too. Good luck, & a Merry Christmas to you & yours!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Ghost by Ghost