Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Still making Basenotes Awesomer / more info / cake sale / new BN Plus

Hello everyone

Just over a year ago, I posted a thread entitled Help Basenotes become awesomer, and many of you did help, and may have noticed that Basenotes is still normal, and not yet awesomer, so I think you all deserve an update.

The last year has been difficult for me personally as my eldest child has been off school all year for health reasons, which has meant less time to work on BN as I would have liked, so my secret aim of having all this done by September 2019, is looking extremely unlikely. Having said that, I’m going to show you what I’ve been up to, and would love feedback too.

Due to the support last year, I’ve been able to pay someone to convert all the forum posts to a the new software for me, so that I can test the integrations work, and I was able to purchase a second-hand laptop so that I can work away from home too. So many thanks!

Advertising income from display advertising is still falling, so income is a big worry. I also currently have an issue with an unnamed company who Basenotes earns commission from, who are currently doing a routine check to make sure what we do fits in with their guidelines. (I’m 99% sure that it does) As a result, all their payments to BN are currently on hold. As they account for the majority of the income, I’m hoping they agree everything is okay and continue to work with us. If not, I’m having to get a full-time job, and BN will probably not get as awesomer. (BN will never go away though, I’ve put too much of my life into it)

I did mention last time about relaunching BN Plus — this hasn’t happened yet, as I wanted to wait until the new site was here. Though I might move this forward. So stay tuned.

Cake Sale

There’s no obligation for anyone to do to, but If you’d like to contribute to the upkeep of Basenotes, then please consider becoming a Basenotes Plus member you can do so here. Alternatively, if you’d like to make a one-off contribution to our tip jar, you can take part in our cake sale!

Previously, we have given you the option to add a teacup, and a cocktail to your profile. Now if you contribute to the Basenotes tip-jar you can have a cake!

How much can I tip to receive a cake?

Whatever you like! As little or as much as you can.

How do I get the cake

Paypal your tip to gosborne@gmail.com - stating clearly your forum username. I'll give you your cake as soon as possible (This is all done manually, so it may take a little while).
    Alternatively, follow this link here: http://paypal.me/gosb.

If you do not want a cake to show on your profile, please let me know.

Updates

So here’s what I’ve been working on…

Logo

We've had the current one forever, and although I'm quite attached to it, it doesn't work very well at smaller sizes, which is useful for mobile, etc. So with the new site, we're going to have a new logo.

We've had a few logos over the years, so a logo change isn't a new thing for BN, but the majority of people on the site will only know the current one. Here's a bit of a history:

2000 - 2002

For the first two years of our life, we sported a dark green background, and this logo. I'm not sure why I chose green in the beginning, but it as kind of stuck since then. I don't think I spent much time on it: Typed out the word, squashed the letters up, added an outline and did a bit of shading.

There was a bit of a redesign in 2002 and the logo was changed. The Wordmark has essentially remained the same.

2003 - 2004

We ditched the .com in 2003, when we momentarily lost control of the dot com domain...

2004 - 2006

Green background was replaced with white, and the logo went green.

2006 - 2013

In 2006 we introduced the bottle logo, and stretched out the writing a little bit, but still lower case.

The Huddler Era. Lets not talk about that...

2013 - 2014

After we left Huddler, and came home, we changed the logo up a little, and changed the writing to grey

2014 - present

Just a little re-arrangement...

What's next?

I wanted to create a new logo to go with the site relaunch. The logo needed to work at various sizes, in black and white or colour, and represent the elements of the site. Unsure as which colour to use as yet. I'm quite liking the pink, but some that I've spoken to think it should remain a basenotes-green colour. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Here are some colour variations:

Screenshots

Here are some screenshots of what I've been working on. Please don't take these as actually what the site will look like, as at the moment I'm mainly wokring on data and coding parts. However, these will give you a bit of an idea of what is to come.

Forums

The forums will be using software called Xenforo 2. It's very similar to what we have currently, but supports useful features such as working well on mobile. If you can use the current site, the new forum shoudn't pose any problem at all.

Here are two variations of the forum home screens:

Or, if you want it a bit more pretty...

Here's some more forum related screenshots:

And here is some mobile views, which will make things easier for those who post from smartphones

==

At the moment, uploading images to the forum is a right royal PITA. With the new software, you'll just be able to drag images from your computer to the browser. Here's me attempting to take a screen shot of that...

Editorial

We'll be using the pretty much industry standard, Wordpress for our articles. I've purchased a plug-in which allows the article comments to be forum posts, so it will work pretty similar to how it works currently. Here's a mock-up of an article

Directory

The directory is having a huge rewrite to better allow for different perfume stregths (EDT, EDP etc) and to better allow for fragrances within collections. Wardrobes are getting a much needed revamp too, and lots of the things that have been asked for have been, or will be added.

Finally

We're going to finally get round to having a secure server, so you won't get all the messing about with the insecure log-in stuff.

Thanks for reading, I know it was long, and please help us by eating a cake if you can

Default Re: Still making Basenotes Awesomer / more info / cake sale / new BN Plus

Hooray for mobile views.

Of the logo variants, I think the blue looks the best.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Hommage à L'Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men (vintage), Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite

Champion Thread Killer

Blog Entries

Default Re: Still making Basenotes Awesomer / more info / cake sale / new BN Plus

Tea...cocktail...cake...when are we going to get an "Impossible Burger?"

I'm in!

Keeping planet Earth in mind, Go Green with the logo!
    Summer grasses
    All that remain
    Of warriors' dreams--Basho

Great stuff! Fingers crossed it works out with that evaluation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

I am sorry to hear about these health issues. In regards to the logo and script, on first glance I like the current one better by miles. In regards to the cake icon, I would like an option so that one could get one of the two previous ones or this new icon.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

All of the new ideas sound wonderful.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Missing Oakmoss

I love the current logo - wish a way could be found to retain it.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Keeping planet Earth in mind, Go Green with the logo!
    Seconded

We've always been green - let's keep it that way. (I'll eat 10 slices of cake to avoid the pink logo ).

Fantastic plans. I vote for green on white logo.
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

Basenotes Institution
    Blog Entries

Sorry life hasn't been kinder to you and junior, dear Grant.

Green, please. Gender neutral.

Big changes may be refreshing for you as creator, but as readers, too much change feels like BN has gotten lost or is under new management. At least the same green would give us one tethered connection to our perceived identity. I understand about scaling logos, but this new offering looks like canned clipart, and the spray imagery is more often representative of sound icons. Also, the text confuses me. Will we have to explain to new members that we're Basenotes not (two words) Base Notes as the new logo reads?
    ...Do Less. ... Own Less..... Say "no" More Often.
    Currently wearing: Winter by Dasein

Always be smelling

Green please. Same green as current - #6fb85b
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Sorry life hasn't been kinder to you and junior, dear Grant.

Big changes may be refreshing for you as creator, but as readers, too much change feels like BN has gotten lost or is under new management. At least the same green would give us one tethered connection to our perceived identity. I understand about scaling logos, but this new offering looks like canned clipart, and the spray imagery is more often representative of sound icons. Also, the text confuses me. Will we have to explain to new members that we're Basenotes not (two words) Base Notes as the new logo reads?
    Quarry raised some very valid points. Also, in regards to the logo, and I hope I don't sound too critical, how about having filled circles representing droplets instead of the waves?

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    Quarry raised some very valid points. Also, in regards to the logo, and I hope I don't sound too critical, how about having filled circles representing droplets instead of the waves?
    Good point. Looks like wifi icon sideways
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Good point. Looks like wifi icon sideways
    Oh my, you're bang on!

Blog Entries

Agree with all of this!

Thanks for the update Grant, & l hope your eldest is on the mend.

ETA: l've put in my order for cake.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Freed from BN Institution

Funds sent. I'd like my cake to be boozy!

I was wondering if the yellow stars that we all have can be changed to a different color? Just a thought that I wanted to add here.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Agree. Let's go with Green!
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Thank you to all you lovely people who have ordered cake!

I'm taking on everyones thoughts about the logo.... We're def gonna stay green I reckon! It keeps it tethered. Will take on all feedback too and perhaps make some revisions
    (though concentrating on coding at the moment !)

Basenotes Member

Thanks for all your do Grant and sorry to hear of your family's struggles. I hope that there is healing and a less bumpy road for you soon.

Could I also put in a plea for a layout that is not so heavy on graphics, especially those drawn from perfume ad-campaigns?
    My current top 5 scents of the moment:
    Root of all Goodness by Parterre
    Tara Mantra by Gri Gri
    Sorong by Pierre Guillaume
    Cape Heartache by Imaginary Authors
    The Smell of Freedom by Lush

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by justfoxie View Post
    Could I also put in a plea for a layout that is not so heavy on graphics, especially those drawn from perfume ad-campaigns?
    More ad stuff has been in the works for a while:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/414...Ads?highlight=

I've done a thread on an ad:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/446...man?highlight=

Blog Entries

Thanks for the cake, Grant!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Thanks for the cake, Grant!
    +1

Basenotes Plus

Wow. Lots to read. Thank you Grant!
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Community Manager

Though it happened by chance, green is now the signature color of Basenotes. I also vote for keeping it
    No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.

I vote GREEN as well. But I agree with others, the spray looks like a "wi-fi" logo. Change that. Sorry to hear about your family troubles. Hope all is going better. Big hugs to you and yours.
    Bel Respiro, I adore you... but my heart belongs to another.

Love the new ideas, although I would like the color to remain green. Hope everything works out with this company so that funding does not become an issue. Excited to see the direction of Basenotes in the future. I'm wishing your son good health.

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post

Excellent points. Also, the thick boldface on the word "Base" in the proposed new logo feels oppressive and counterintuitive to me - BASE is on top, weighing heavily on NOTES. This juxtaposition also underscores what Quarry says about the new logo looking as if the site's name is Base Notes, rather than Basenotes.

Is there no way to preserve the present perfume bottle icon with its charming vapor spiral and one word, basenotes, beneath it?

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    Though it happened by chance, green is now the signature color of Basenotes. I also vote for keeping it
    Would it be possible to change the color of our stars from yellow to green?

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    +1

+1

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Would it be possible to change the color of our stars from yellow to green?
    That might also look nice.