Code of Conduct

Default Penhaligon are discontinuing English Fern & Douro

I didn't see English Fern and Douro listed on Penhaligon's website so I emailed them and asked - this is the response I got:

"Unfortunately yes, this fragrance has been discontinued from our range. We do apologize for any inconvenience and upset caused by this.

These decisions are made by members from our sales, operations, marketing, finance and procurement team, so we can assure you that this was not a decision that was taken lightly. We cannot guarantee that this will be produced again, as there are a number of factors to be considered, but your feedback will be taken into consideration.

We hope this information helps. Please do let us know if you have any further queries.

Kind regards,"

Kind of devastating really, so much history now gone....There are not much left that resembles the original Penhaligon and one would hope that they get stripped of their royal appointments, but that probably won't happen. I encourage everyone that appreciate these colognes to email them as well!

Default Re: Penhaligon are discontinuing English Fern & Douro

Yes -- Penhaligons seems to exist solely for the lucrative tourist trade now who want something 'British' -- preferably including a bottle with giant antlers attached.

Douro, of course was originally called Lords and was a lovely masculine and English Fern has been reformulated very badly imo so that was a certainty to go.

At least they were civil enough to send you a reply, but it is pretty sad.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Agree.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

As long as they keep producing halfeti im ok!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freed from BN Institution

That is unfortunate. I'm glad I was able to try them when they were available.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

Basenotes Plus

As a fan of Douro (aka Lords previously), I’m sorry to hear the news. But I’d rather have a fragrance discontinued than having it in the lineup albeit in a badly butchered or reformulated state.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

English Fern is one of my beloved from this historical brand, really a pity.
    Currently wearing: Lui by Mazzolari

They did the same with Racquets and that was really good. You can see what they are doing in revitalizing the house with new scents whilst getting rid of ones that don't sell.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Current Favorites

1. Antiquity By Areej le Dore
    2. Musk Cologne By Bortnikoff
    3. Pegwell Bay By Haeckels
    4. Sahraa Oud By Fragrance Du Bois

Those are 2 good and unique fragrances or at least they used to be years ago.In fact I'm surprised no outfit has tried to copy those two. Penhaligons are really a shadow of what they used to be.They are so far away now from that somewhat charming small to midsize fragrance house they used to be.Now for the most part they are just another fragrance company,just trying to be trendy.Trendy and expensive.I used to like them, now I have almost no interest in them.
    Last edited by Mayberry2; 17th August 2019 at 10:37 PM.

Yes -- Penhaligons seems to exist solely for the lucrative tourist trade now who want something 'British' -- preferably including a bottle with giant antlers attached.

Douro, of course was originally called Lords and was a lovely masculine and English Fern has been reformulated very badly imo so that was a certainty to go.

They don't even seem English anymore. I wonder if they even still make their fragrances in the UK.

Terrible news. English Fern was one of my favorite fragrances of all time. Time to stock up.

in civet est veritas

Penhaligon's is cranking out *waaay* to many varieties the past couple of years.

As I see it, many of the new once are just small twists on a baseline composition, differing only in strength and one or two accent notes. I'd say their ouds are the clearest example of that tactic.

Admittedl, sseveral of the new bottles I quite enjoy, but now they've hiked pricing almost across the board, where $250USD puts them in competition with the industries best houses. I don't know if they have much jus that can prove their value at that price.

Back to the news at hand: I have one bottle of Douro I picked up about two years back and now may need a spare based on this news.

/Acey

And +1 to Jack Hunter's mention of Racquets Formula. What a barbershop gem; I'm so glad I have most of a bottle left as it's really quite special.

Basenotes Plus

Yes -- Penhaligons seems to exist solely for the lucrative tourist trade now who want something 'British' -- preferably including a bottle with giant antlers
    I had a sensible chuckle at the antlers part. The only perfume from the Portraits line I liked was the Bewitching Yasmine. I got a free sample and was surprised how much I loved it....but not for that price!

I enjoyed Luna and Juniper Sling.

When I was living in Yorkshire and number of department stores were scaling back or stopped selling Penhaligons. I heard they were mainly non-movers on the shelf or the clientele that bought them were not the young, hip, and moneyed shoppers.
    Something something....something....
    Currently wearing: Battaniye by Pekji

Blog Entries

English Fern was seriously woeful.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator
    Currently wearing: Aramis 900 by Aramis

Blog Entries

No big loss imo. I don't even get any fern from the fragrance. It should be called English Lavender.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    No big loss imo. I don't even get any fern from the fragrance. It should be called English Lavender.
    Erm, you're not supposed to. But it is a fougère, of which lavender is one of the main constituent parts.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    Erm, you're not supposed to. But it is a fougère, of which lavender is one of the main constituent parts.
    "Fern" is "fougere" in French, of course...

That's a real shame as Duoro is one of my favourite "power" fragrances. I wear it to work when I have a particularly important meeting . English Fern I always wanted to love and never clicked with me.
    My current rotation:
    Vetivers: Root of all Goodness by Parterre & Autumn 19 by Ffern
    Skin scents: Shermine by Pierre Guillaume & Goddess by Lush
    Work horses: Magnetica by Voronoi, Paithaini by Penhaligons & 154 by Jo Malone

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Agree.
    I agree as well, she was very kind and helpful and I'd made sure to let her know that I didn't blame her for what the company had decided.
    Regarding the the latest incarnation (now discontinued) of English Fern -- I find that it still holds up and is a fine cologne, although not as "deep" and long lived as my bottle from the 90s and the oakmoss isn't quite there either of course. I do however still think that the modern version was a fine fragrance. Lucky for me though, I just bought a big 200ml bottle of the 90s version on Ebay!

I can't comment on Douro though as I only own its predecessor -- "Lords", which I adore.

Skickat från min SM-A105FN via Tapatalk

Sad to hear this, hoping to still see these (re) included in their regular selection-even if having no indication nor info about reversing this discontinuation-or also as limited editions, but hopefully with better pricing and/or availability than with Ebay style (vintage/discontinued scents) retailers.

I think Alizarin is gone too..

Very sad. English Fern was great green fougere along with Wild Fern and Crown Fougere related to the original Fougere Royale. Pens is definitely headed toward (of not already in) the waste bin of history.

Quote Originally Posted by Darvant View Post
    English Fern is one of my beloved from this historical brand, really a pity.
    Same here...I love English Fern and am so sad to hear it's being discontinued.
    Currently wearing: Jubilation XXV by Amouage

Most penhaligons are disappointing and weak sillage. Got rid of all of them