Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Do you wear "male" parfum?

I really enjoy a lot of so called masculine scents. I have many of the ones listed already (excellent taste, ladies! ) and many, many more. I estimate at least 10 percent of my collection is”masculine.” They are not ones that I necessarily share with Bf either, although he has access and is free to wear anything he wants from my perfumes. (I have furnished him with his own collection of things that he mostly wears, although I may borrow something from time to time as well.) I very much enjoy hesperidic scents, lavender, vetiver, herbals/fougeres, leather, tobacco, boozy notes, smoky notes, etc. that are often featured in masculine marketed scents. Anyway, I have too many to list, but houses that are well represented with several masculines from each in my collection are: Balmain, Boucheron, Caron, Cartier, Carven, Creed, Czech and Speake, Dior, Diptyque, Givenchy, Guerlain, Hermes, Lancome, Lutens, MPG, Montale, Penhaligon’s, Ungaro, and more, but these come to mind with a quick mental survey by going through the alphabet, lol. I have a lot of "one offs" too, like Courvoisier, Bentley Intense for men (I have absolue too), Trumper's Eucris, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    On the other side, I have to admit that Im very conservative regarding me using "female" parfums.
    But in these months I was wandering how could YSL Opium pour Femme would smell on me. My guess is that I have to go to a store to test it.
    But here is my question (asking from an ignorant spot): Do you know how this parfum works on a man? Have you experienced this?
    Thank you very much.
    Best,
    BruceB
    Since you mention it, as far as men wearing the so called feminine fragrances, there should be the same freedom, of course. Opium is an amazing fragrance. Although the vintage is much better, the current is still much nicer than so, so many of the recent releases. Give it a try! Plenty of men wear it here, so it really is not an odd thing to do. It is related scent wise to Old Spice. As noted, beyond marketing, a lot of our perception of what is a masculine or feminine note is cultural. Florals are worn by many men in the Middle East for example. My Bf happens to be Middle Eastern, but he is also simply not one to be bothered by these sorts of labels either. He has chosen to wear many of my perfumes, including very floral ones, and they always smell different on him than on me and perfectly wonderful, fitting and masculine. He certainly doesn’t smell womanly! I will add that he is a very big, tall and manly alpha male, and not in the least a dandy or even slightly foppish either. One that smells really amazing on him and he actually sort of claimed from my collection as his own is Fragile by Gaultier. It is a sweetly soapy tuberose. It smells great on him-- really clean and pleasant. Oh and the bottle cap is topped with a glittery snow globe with a tiny woman in a black evening gown inside. That bottle “lives” with his collection of bottles at our house and has since the day I brought it home and he smelled it. So anyway, wear what you like.
    There are always flowers for those who want to see them.
    ~ Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by cestrum nocturnum View Post
    I really enjoy a lot of so called masculine scents. I have many of the ones listed already (excellent taste, ladies! ) and many, many more. I estimate at least 10 percent of my collection is”masculine.” They are not ones that I necessarily share with Bf either, although he has access and is free to wear anything he wants from my perfumes. (I have furnished him with his own collection of things that he mostly wears, although I may borrow something from time to time as well.) I very much enjoy hesperidic scents, lavender, vetiver, herbals/fougeres, leather, tobacco, boozy notes, smoky notes, etc. that are often featured in masculine marketed scents. Anyway, I have too many to list, but houses that are well represented with several masculines from each in my collection are: Balmain, Boucheron, Caron, Cartier, Carven, Creed, Czech and Speake, Dior, Diptyque, Givenchy, Guerlain, Hermes, Lancome, Lutens, MPG, Montale, Penhaligon’s, Ungaro, and more, but these come to mind with a quick mental survey by going through the alphabet, lol. I have a lot of "one offs" too, like Courvoisier, Bentley Intense for men (I have absolue too), Trumper's Eucris, etc.

Since you mention it, as far as men wearing the so called feminine fragrances, there should be the same freedom, of course. Opium is an amazing fragrance. Although the vintage is much better, the current is still much nicer than so, so many of the recent releases. Give it a try! Plenty of men wear it here, so it really is not an odd thing to do. It is related scent wise to Old Spice. As noted, beyond marketing, a lot of our perception of what is a masculine or feminine note is cultural. Florals are worn by many men in the Middle East for example. My Bf happens to be Middle Eastern, but he is also simply not one to be bothered by these sorts of labels either. He has chosen to wear many of my perfumes, including very floral ones, and they always smell different on him than on me and perfectly wonderful, fitting and masculine. He certainly doesn’t smell womanly! I will add that he is a very big, tall and manly alpha male, and not in the least a dandy or even slightly foppish either. One that smells really amazing on him and he actually sort of claimed from my collection as his own is Fragile by Gaultier. It is a sweetly soapy tuberose. It smells great on him-- really clean and pleasant. Oh and the bottle cap is topped with a glittery snow globe with a tiny woman in a black evening gown inside. That bottle “lives” with his collection of bottles at our house and has since the day I brought it home and he smelled it. So anyway, wear what you like.
    Thanks for your beautiful answer.

The only three "male" frarances I occasionally wear are Eau Sauvage, Lolita Lempicka pour Homme
    and Dior Homme. I seem to remember liking TF Noir de Noir, when I tested it too.

I think many perfumes are quite suitable to be worn by either sex and if a scent smells
    good on your skin then I would wear it regardless of gender.

I also suspect that most fragrances labelled as unisex are aiming for as large a market as possible or am
    I just being cynical?
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.
    Currently wearing: White Musk by Body Shop

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by foxbins View Post
    I'm another Bel Ami person, also Virgin Island Water, Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood, Parfums de Marley Oajan, SL Cuir Mauresque and MKK, some Amouage attars and Reflection Man, and Mazzolari Lui. I don't really consider gender marketing when I'm sniffing something. If I like it, I buy it.
    I wear several of these, as well. Beautiful scents belong on everyone.

queen of the universe

Yatagan and Knize Ten, tho I will layer Knize with a tiny spritz of Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose to fem it up.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

I'm a man and I love men's fragrance.
    But once in a While I may buy and wear a woman's fragrance well the ones marketed towards women.
    Here are some that I've bought or worn
    Hypnotic poison
    Classique jpg
    Calyx
    Wish chopard
    Angel Mugler
    Flowerbomb
    Organza givenchy
    Feminite du Bois
    All about eve Joop
    Kingdom Alexander mcqueen
    If you noticed most of these are sweet and have edible notes. I don't like strong florals like j'adore I don't think I could pull that one off nor do I want to.
    There are also many men's fragrances that are feminine in a way:
    Le male
    Joop homme
    Au masculin Lolita lempicka
    Eros Versace
    Givenchy Π
    So some fragrances do blur the gender line I suppose...

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

My wife will try any of my men's scents but doesn't wear any regularly.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.