Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 25 of 25
Just Starting Out Sponsor
  1. #1

    Smile What to try next after Aventus

    Hi,

    I'm not that active posting messages in this forum but I've been following basenotes for many years and it helped me pick several fragrances and here I am again, this time to ask for recommendations on my next fragrance to buy.

    What I currently have and use:

    - Creed Aventus: I really love it
    - Terre d'Hermes Parfum: Great for using during the summer season
    - Viktor & Rolf Spicebomb: Not a great fan but I use it every now and then and people really like it.
    - Bvlgari Black: I use it on those very non special days. It smells okay but it doesn't lasts on me and I don't find the fragrance very special.

    What I'm looking for

    - I would like to try something from Tom Ford or Le Labo.
    - I don't like extreme vanilla sweet notes but other than that I'm open to try things.

    Happy to read some recommendations.

  2. #2
    Dependent Danny Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,878

    Default Re: What to try next after Aventus

    Unless you want to jump into Tom Ford's private line, Ombre Leather and Grey Vetiver are both great, IMO.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

  3. #3
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    648

    Default Re: What to try next after Aventus

    Tom Ford Oud Wood?

  4. #4
    Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    20,559

    Default Re: What to try next after Aventus

    From Tom Ford I'd suggest Grey Vetiver, Tuscan Leather and Noir de Noir. Vert des Bois is quite nice, too.

    From Le Labo do try Rose 31, The Noir 29, Ylang 49, Vetiver 46 and Patchouli 24.
    Summer Rotation
    Acqua di Gio Profumo
    Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche
    Sel Marin
    Castile
    Mugler Cologne
    Allure Homme Sport Cologne


    Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

  5. #5
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil
    Posts
    289,930

    Default Re: What to try next after Aventus

    Grey Vetiver
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  6. #6
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    39,304

    Default Re: What to try next after Aventus

    I would suggest Tom Ford Amber Absolute.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Aubťpine-Acacia by Creed

  7. #7
    Dependent Mr. Prince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,729

    Default Re: What to try next after Aventus

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Unless you want to jump into Tom Ford's private line, Ombre Leather and Grey Vetiver are both great, IMO.
    Agree!

  8. #8

    Default Re: What to try next after Aventus

    Thanks all for the responses. I'm gonna check where I can get some samples of those before commiting to buying.

  9. #9
    Dependent Shiny Beast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,759

    Default Re: What to try next after Aventus

    Quote Originally Posted by Chompas View Post
    What I'm looking for

    - I would like to try something from Tom Ford or Le Labo.
    - I don't like extreme vanilla sweet notes but other than that I'm open to try things.

    Happy to read some recommendations.
    I'm yet to find anything by Le Labo that I really dig but I've been hot to trot for TF lately so I'll say:

    Oud Minerale
    Beau de Jour
    Fougere d'Argent
    TF Extreme

    and a few by TF I dig but don't own:
    Vert d'Encens
    Ombre Leather
    Noir Anthracite
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

  10. #10

    Default Re: What to try next after Aventus

    You should also just try Tom Ford for Men as well as Grey Vetiver.

    Ombre Leather you'll know if you like or not in a heartbeat I think.

    As far as private blend go there are so many. Try the main culprits there. Mentioned above is Oud Minerale, that's only worth carefully sampling, some people love it, some don't like how the oud sits in it at all.

    So many wildcard things you can try, as you know there are 1000s and 1000s of frags. One wildcard suggestion put your nose on Maison Martin Margiela's Jazz Club and By The Fireplace, they might broaden things out for you a bit and you might well like one or the other.

  11. #11
    Dependent Shiny Beast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,759

    Default Re: What to try next after Aventus

    Quote Originally Posted by mfinz8 View Post
    Mentioned above is Oud Minerale, that's only worth carefully sampling, some people love it, some don't like how the oud sits in it at all.
    Yeah true. I totally hated this stuff first go around. I find this to be the case with a bunch of TF frags actually.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

  12. #12

    Default Re: What to try next after Aventus

    Le Labo have produced a little mini set of 5 of their top selling fragrances, which sells for about £58 -- it's a good idea I think

  13. #13

    Default Re: What to try next after Aventus

    From Tom Ford, I'd try Grey Vetiver, Ombre Leather, Oud Wood, Tuscan Leather and Neroli Portofino which seem to be popular on this forum. I'm not the biggest fan of the brand though, I must admit.

    Personally, I'd also try these:

    Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee
    Armani Prive Vetiver d'Hiver
    Miller Harris Vetiver Insolent
    Serge Lutens Chergui and Santal Majuscule
    Tauer's L'Air du Desert Maroccain (which may be a little too vanillic for you depending on how you tolerate ambers)
    The Prada Luna Rossa line
    Dior Homme, Eau Sauvage and Fahrenheit and all of their flankers

    Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    From Le Labo do try Rose 31, The Noir 29, Ylang 49, Vetiver 46 and Patchouli 24.
    I'd also add Labdanum 18, Bergamote 22 and Santal 33 to the list.

  14. #14

    Default Re: What to try next after Aventus

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Le Labo have produced a little mini set of 5 of their top selling fragrances, which sells for about £58 -- it's a good idea I think
    Cool. I'm gonna take a look at that.

  15. #15

    Default Re: What to try next after Aventus

    Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    From Tom Ford, I'd try Grey Vetiver, Ombre Leather, Oud Wood, Tuscan Leather and Neroli Portofino which seem to be popular on this forum. I'm not the biggest fan of the brand though, I must admit.

    Personally, I'd also try these:

    Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee
    Armani Prive Vetiver d'Hiver
    Miller Harris Vetiver Insolent
    Serge Lutens Chergui and Santal Majuscule
    Tauer's L'Air du Desert Maroccain (which may be a little too vanillic for you depending on how you tolerate ambers)
    The Prada Luna Rossa line
    Dior Homme, Eau Sauvage and Fahrenheit and all of their flankers



    I'd also add Labdanum 18, Bergamote 22 and Santal 33 to the list.
    Very nice list. I'm gonna add it to my own personal one to try as much of those as I can. Dior Homme Fahrenheit was on a buying list I did a long time ago and then I forgot about it.

    With those Le Labo you added it's almost the whole catalogue

  16. #16
    Basenotes Plus
    Scarce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,555

    Default Re: What to try next after Aventus

    What to try next after Aventus?

    Nothing.

    You have reached the Mount Olympus of men's fragrances, the best that ever was or ever will be. Pity the poor souls who have yet to experience the majesty and the grandeur that is Aventus! ģ.
    Most worn:

    Black Comme des GarÁons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella


  17. #17

    Default Re: What to try next after Aventus

    Quote Originally Posted by Chompas View Post
    Very nice list. I'm gonna add it to my own personal one to try as much of those as I can. Dior Homme Fahrenheit was on a buying list I did a long time ago and then I forgot about it.

    With those Le Labo you added it's almost the whole catalogue
    Cheers mate

    Between the Le Labo that freewheelingvagabond and I proposed, I'd probably rate them in the following order (from the ones that I've tried):

    - Rose 31 (or rather not-a-rose; a rather woody and slightly naughty composition with a more prominent bergamot opening in the latest formulation)
    - Labdanum 18 (though it's quite powdery and unique smelling, not sure how wearable you'd find it)
    - Bergamote 22 (a very good take on a freshie but I find it rather fleeting)
    - Santal 33 (The very opening smells a bit of pickles, but once it settles down, it's a very nice scent)
    - Vetiver 46 (Good, but rather overpriced for what you get, there are better vetiver fragrances out there in my opinion)

    Rose 31 is a must try, the rest I'm not so sure about to be honest. Depends entirely on your tastes and your wallet.

  18. #18
    Dependent Mr. Prince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,729

    Default Re: What to try next after Aventus

    [QUOTE=Shiny Beast;4695416]I'm yet to find anything by Le Labo that I really dig but I've been hot to trot for TF lately so I'll say:

    Oud Minerale
    Beau de Jour
    Fougere d'Argent
    TF Extreme

    All excellent suggestions.

  19. #19
    Dependent speckmann0706's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,246

    Default Re: What to try next after Aventus

    Creed Royal Oud
    Chanel Antaeus
    Christian Dior Dior Homme
    Christian Dior Dior Homme Intense

    These are the ones that matched the quality of Creed Aventus for me, different style fragrances but 10/10 nonetheless!
    Fragrance is my favorite thing. So much so that if I leave the house and I don't put any on, I'll turn around and go back home.

  20. #20

    Default What to try next after Aventus

    Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    Cheers mate

    Between the Le Labo that freewheelingvagabond and I proposed, I'd probably rate them in the following order (from the ones that I've tried):

    - Rose 31 (or rather not-a-rose; a rather woody and slightly naughty composition with a more prominent bergamot opening in the latest formulation)
    - Labdanum 18 (though it's quite powdery and unique smelling, not sure how wearable you'd find it)
    - Bergamote 22 (a very good take on a freshie but I find it rather fleeting)
    - Santal 33 (The very opening smells a bit of pickles, but once it settles down, it's a very nice scent)
    - Vetiver 46 (Good, but rather overpriced for what you get, there are better vetiver fragrances out there in my opinion)

    Rose 31 is a must try, the rest I'm not so sure about to be honest. Depends entirely on your tastes and your wallet.
    Iím gonna go for Rose 31. Lots of members are recommending it!

    Thanks for the ranked list. Iím gonna check how I can try the others you mentioned.

  21. #21

    Default Re: What to try next after Aventus

    [QUOTE=Mr. Prince;4695773]
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    I'm yet to find anything by Le Labo that I really dig but I've been hot to trot for TF lately so I'll say:

    Oud Minerale
    Beau de Jour
    Fougere d'Argent
    TF Extreme

    All excellent suggestions.
    Interesting list. Iím not at all familiar with any of them which is great. Iím gonna see where I can try or get samples of this.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. #22

    Default Re: What to try next after Aventus

    Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    Creed Royal Oud
    Chanel Antaeus
    Christian Dior Dior Homme
    Christian Dior Dior Homme Intense

    These are the ones that matched the quality of Creed Aventus for me, different style fragrances but 10/10 nonetheless!
    Iíve used Dior Homme Intense in the past and I got tired of it. But this was many years ago so it may be a good time for a second bottle.

  23. #23
    Basenotes Institution
    sjg3839's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    42,582

    Default Re: What to try next after Aventus

    +1 for Oud Wood
    <div class="bnsotd"><b>Currently wearing:</b> <a href="ID26148387.html"><img src="http://www.basenotes.net/photos/products/33/26148387-7393.jpg"> Carven L'Eau Intense by Carven</a></div>

  24. #24

    Default Re: What to try next after Aventus

    Possibly also Lapidus pour Homme, the extremely inexpensive and not particularly vanilla dominated, powerhouse 80s predecessor of Aventus (though admittedly and quite obviously neither TF nor Le Labo, at least not judging the current ownership/shareholder structures of both fragrance companies/houses)

  25. #25
    a quarter million, tops
    notspendingamillion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Middleof, Nowhere
    Posts
    1,315

    Default Re: What to try next after Aventus

    Which batch have you tried? You know, I hear the XO19 is supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.
    Itís tragic to think that heroic manís great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.




Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 104
    Last Post: 13th September 2019, 08:10 PM
  2. Layering Aventus with Terre D'Hermes = Aventus Vintage?
    By luis in forum Creed Aventus Subforum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19th November 2018, 04:34 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12th September 2012, 01:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000