Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Abduction Eau de Parfum by Joe Merrell + Christopher Gordon

A friend from LA tipped me off to this art-scent-project - which has evolved into a fragrance called Abduction. A sample was gifted to me. I haven't worn it yet.

Anyone else familiar with this project/scent/etc? Apparently it's currently Sold Out...

More info here: https://www.singularfortean.com/news...ose-encounters
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 23rd August 2019 at 01:21 PM.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Dependent

Default Re: Abduction Eau de Parfum by Joe Merrell + Saskia Wilson-Brown

I'll be interested in what you think of it.

Off topic, perhaps, but...

As someone involved in psychology, the whole Alien thing is interesting. Because there's a certain consensus that aliens don't exist, and aren't really coming down and performing physical "experiments" on humans . At the same time there are plenty of seemingly reasonable people who sincerely believe that this is what's happened to them.

One theory is that it's a "screen memory" for people who've been abused as children. A "memory" that protects them from otherwise-traumatic knowledge of what actually happened to them. The scenarios they describe really can be interpreted as allegories for past abuse in their details.

I read a book written by a psychologist who had investigated the subject, and had interviewed many people who believed they'd been visited by aliens, and been the subject of their experiments. In most instances they were folks who felt legitimately unsettled, but had not "remembered" what had happened to them until they read about alien experiments, and later came to believe that this had to be what was behind the emotional discomfort they felt.
    Currently wearing: Daim Blond by Serge Lutens

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

The story behind its realease is interesting
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    I'll be interested in what you think of it.

Off topic, perhaps, but...

As someone involved in psychology, the whole Alien thing is interesting. Because there's a certain consensus that aliens don't exist, and aren't really coming down and performing physical "experiments" on humans . At the same time there are plenty of seemingly reasonable people who sincerely believe that this is what's happened to them.

One theory is that it's a "screen memory" for people who've been abused as children. A "memory" that protects them from otherwise-traumatic knowledge of what actually happened to them. The scenarios they describe really can be interpreted as allegories for past abuse in their details.

I read a book written by a psychologist who had investigated the subject, and had interviewed many people who believed they'd been visited by aliens, and been the subject of their experiments. In most instances they were folks who felt legitimately unsettled, but had not "remembered" what had happened to them until they read about alien experiments, and later came to believe that this had to be what was behind the emotional discomfort they felt.
    But then you read events such as the case file of Betty and Barney Hill. Zeta Reticuli man, what odd people and happenings bring these words to mind.

Anyways the idea sounds interesting, however the notes she gives is in no way associated with aliens. Rotten eggs and sulfur and anything invoking nausea would be closer. The notes she gives do sound like something that could make an avant garde perfume with a story attached to it get to get people to smell. For that I am disappointed in the artist's lack of integrity.

Response to comment #4

Hi, I'm the artist who collaborated and did the research that informed this project. I don't normally respond to posts like this, but thought I'd clarify a few things.

I spent a great deal of time doing research (books, articles, conversations with "experiencers") in order to find mentions/memories of scents associated with this phenomenon. And, while there isn't a paper or book that deals with scents and alien contact specifically, what I found was that there was a consistency especially in relation to so-called grey aliens. Some of the main scents associated with with them include:

Cinnamon (or something similar with a cloying aspect)
    Wet paper/wet cardboard
    Burning paper
    Overripe fruit (cloying)
    Damp earth
    Yeastiness

There is a paper that deals with scents associated with craft, and those include sulfurous and metallic aspects – it's by Antonio Rullán and can be found online (check the research section of www.eyesarealwaysthere.com for a link).

As far as the history of my project goes, I've collaborated on two "alien abduction" scents. The first was made with Saskia Wilson-Brown for a gallery installation I did in 2016. It was made for one of the rooms in the gallery and was fairly harsh & not meant to be worn. The second was made with Christopher Gordon, and was created using the same research though with aim of making a wearable fragrance. When people ask me to explain what this perfume is, I usually say that it's basically three things: 1) Conceptual art (I'm an artist after all), 2) The product of real research, and 3) A carefully constructed eau de parfum.

I also often get asked if I think the ufo/abduction phenomenon is in some sense real and I have to say yes. I can provide a long reading list, too.
    Last edited by JoeLosFeliz; 23rd August 2019 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Need to clarify who I'm responding to / added several elements to scent list

Chloroform not included, I suppose?
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLosFeliz View Post
    Response to comment #4

Hi, I'm the artist who collaborated and did the research that informed this project. I don't normally respond to posts like this, but thought I'd clarify a few things.

I spent a great deal of time doing research (books, articles, conversations with "experiencers") in order to find mentions/memories of scents associated with this phenomenon. And, while there isn't a paper or book that deals with scents and alien contact specifically, what I found was that there was a consistency especially in relation to so-called grey aliens. Some of the main scents associated with with them include:

Wet paper/wet cardboard
    Overripe fruit (cloying)
    Damp earth

There is a paper that deals with scents associated with craft, and those include sulfurous and metallic aspects – it's by Antonio Rullán and can be found online (check the research section of www.eyesarealwaysthere.com for a link).

As far as the history of my project goes, I've collaborated on two "alien abduction" scents. The first was made with Saskia Wilson-Brown for a gallery installation I did in 2016. It was made for one of the rooms in the gallery and was fairly harsh & not meant to be worn. The second was made with Christopher Gordon, and was created using the same research though with aim of making a wearable fragrance. When people ask me to explain what this perfume is, I usually say that it's basically three things: 1) Conceptual art (I'm an artist after all), 2) The product of real research, and 3) A carefully constructed eau de parfum.

I also often get asked if I think the ufo/abduction phenomenon is in some sense real and I have to say yes. I can provide a long reading list, too.
    Thanks for the post. I corrected the Thread title to show the correct perfumers name of the *fragrance* - Christopher Gordon.

I look forward to smelling / wearing my sample.

I will most likely do this when I see that the Fragrance is back in stock - I hate hyping a fragrance that is not available to readers. I believe the fragrance should be back in stock, very soon, according to the official website/online store: https://www.eyesarealwaysthere.com/
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Response to comment #4

Wet paper/wet cardboard
    Overripe fruit (cloying)
    Damp earth

You can claim that people report those smells, but my research does not concur. It is amusing you came here and just reiterated what was in the article with no new information, and *now* I'm supposed to believe you.

The article is pulled almost entirely from my site. Would be curious to know what your research is/tells you. I'm currently out of town & my old notes aren't with me, but pulling from something else on my laptop I found these quotes:

Karla Turner’s Taken - “there was a strong odor of spicy sweat…”

Whitley Strieber Communion Letters - “my son on many occasions has mentioned cinnamon… One time the beings came and sprinkled cinnamon on him so that he could fly and he says he did.”

"… the feel of the skin like a "chamois," and their smell of sickly sweet cinnamon/cloves. I remember telling them how bad they smelled."

"... being awake one night and smelling 'cardboard' while realizing that I was paralyzed from the waist up."

Abductee Tommy (from one of my own conversations) “I remember a sour smell, but with something like old spice or cologne like an older man would wear. Also a damp musty smell.”

Off the top of my head I recall mentions of scent in one of Raymond Fowler's books, as well as the first John Mack book on the subject.

----

Anyway, I just want to thank the original poster for the nice mention of this project. It's been a labor of love and more people have expressed interest in it than I ever expected.

And, for those interested in purchasing a sample or a bottle, I will have some more available in the next week or so through the project site: www.eyesarealwaysthere.com – it's made in small quantities and packaged by hand, so it sometimes takes a few days to assemble everything.

More about me and my work: www.joemerrell.com

Basenotes Plus

...Anyway, I just want to thank the original poster for the nice mention of this project. It's been a labor of love and more people have expressed interest in it than I ever expected...

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Abduction Eau de Parfum by Joe Merrell + Christopher Gordon

The scent is back in stock now: https://www.eyesarealwaysthere.com/product/abduction

I will wear my Sample very soon and report back on it.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: Abduction Eau de Parfum by Joe Merrell + Christopher Gordon

Just want to give props to Chris Gordon, the perfumer on this project -- his own line of amazing fragrances can be found here: https://www.maisonanonyme.com/

As an artist I think I've been lucky as far as collaborations go, and this one I count among the most successful. Chris is a really talented & creative individual.