Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default PSA: eBay has REMOVED the option to list USED fragrances. Uh oh..

This isn't good. If we can't list things as used anymore and if eBay is actively trying to prevent used fragrances from being sold. This can put a pretty big dent in vintage hunting AND pricing. And it can make it easier for people to scam via eBay sales ("It was listed as new!").

Aw crap, man..

EDIT:
    Clarification, I guess, in the pic/link: https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/p...=4290#section1

Seems they're going after unboxed frags too, even NEW ones.

**Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami Vetiver by Hermès

Default Re: PSA: eBay has REMOVED the option to list USED fragrances. Uh oh..

Are ya sure?

I've just checked Ebay and did a draft as if I was going to sell a used cologne and the "Used" option is still there. It would not make sense to remove it as there is nothing wrong in selling your used legitimate fragrances. Also there is nothing stopping people manually describing the scent as used in the description box.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Current Favorites

1. Vintage Dunhill Edition Edt (Made In Holland Bottle)
    2. Terre d'Hermès Edt
    3. Musk Cologne By Bortnikoff
    4. Pegwell Bay By Haeckels
    Currently wearing: Musk Cologne by Bortnikoff

Basenotes Plus

Since some of us still see the option and some don’t, this may either be a gradual rollout or a matter of complying with local laws. I still have the Used option, and I’m in California. If you can’t see it, where are you located?
    Currently wearing: Baie de Genièvre by Creed

Basenotes Plus

EDIT: Clarification, I guess, in the pic/link: https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/p...=4290#section1

dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I've just checked Ebay and did a draft as if I was going to sell a used cologne and the "Used" option is still there. It would not make sense to remove it as there is nothing wrong in selling your used legitimate fragrances. Also there is nothing stopping people manually describing the scent as used in the description box.
    But it can open it up to more in the scammers' favor by doing that. Listing it as new despite a description saying it's used. Person can claim they thought it was new and have a better chance at fighting for a refund or something.

This whole thing may prevent people from even bothering to try to list used/unboxed frags. Prices might drive up in grey market/FB groups and items harder to come across.
    All Hail King Kouros!

Freed from BN Institution

What if it says 'USED' in the description even though listed as 'NEW'? An example loophole.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Woto by Deviline

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    EDIT: Clarification, I guess, in the pic/link: https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/p...=4290#section1

By “container,” I think they mean the bottle (or equivalent) rather than the box. The problem is, with decants and such, there’s no knowing what’s actually in there: you can put anything in a vial and call it “Aventus batch H0H0H0.” Granted, with a little more effort, you can do that with a proper bottle and shrink wrap it in a box, but original packaging is still somewhat safer. eBay is arguably indemnified if packaging on a fake could be reasonably expected to fool most people. But if someone puts battery acid in generic vials and sells it on eBay as Amouage, the company might be found partially liable for allowing it.
    Currently wearing: Baie de Genièvre by Creed

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    What if it says 'USED' in the description even though listed as 'NEW'? An example loophole.
    Yep, but it might make it just that much more easier for scammers to get away with free stuff or partial refunds or some such.

"Ummm, it was listed as NEW, why did I receive a used bottle? I don't care if it says used in the description, I was buying it as a present for my son and it was listed as NEW! THIS IS BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE, GET ME YOUR MANAGER, blah blah blah"

You know..

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    By “container,” I think they mean the bottle (or equivalent) rather than the box. The problem is, with decants and such, there’s no knowing what’s actually in there: you can put anything in a vial and call it “Aventus batch H0H0H0.” Granted, with a little more effort, you can do that with a proper bottle and shrink wrap it in a box, but original packaging is still somewhat safer. eBay is arguably indemnified if packaging on a fake could be reasonably expected to fool most people. But if someone puts battery acid in generic vials and sells it on eBay as Amouage, the company might be found partially liable for allowing it.
    Yeah, it seems the main purpose is again to dissuade decant sales - however with the actual option of 'Used' being removed (in some cases? not sure how it's determined) it can affect regular bottles from being listed to
    All Hail King Kouros!

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Yep, but it might make it just that much more easier for scammers to get away with free stuff or partial refunds or some such.

"Ummm, it was listed as NEW, why did I receive a used bottle? I don't care if it says used in the description, I was buying it as a present for my son and it was listed as NEW! THIS IS BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE, GET ME YOUR MANAGER, blah blah blah"

You know..

Move the business sales to Basenotes? A good number of individuals members to both sides already.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Woto by Deviline

Basenotes Plus

So I just looked on eBay at used listings and it doesn't even show them as used/pre-owned? Not sure if this switch just happened within the past hour or so, it shows the condition as --

Interesting. I'm kinda assuming that's not an option to select to create a post, but it's just their placeholder until the existing listings end?

All Hail King Kouros!

"as long as they dont have an applicator that comes into contact with the body"
    Perfume is usually spray so it is fine!

Quote Originally Posted by annetteo View Post
    No more deo-sticks and roll-ons then
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!

Basenotes Plus

What's next -- no used clothing sales because some moron isn't going to wash it before they wear it, catch smallpox from it and sue eBay?
    Before the leaves fall, an all-green September:
    Aromatics Elixir / Azuree / Corsica Furiosa / Cristalle / Eau du Sud / Eau Sauvage / Iskander / Ivoire, 1980 / Ivoire, 2012 / Le Canotier / Ninfeo Mio / No. 19 / Prince de Galles Sport / Route de Vetiver / Safari / Silences / Sud Est / Tiare / Vent Vert / Vetiver de Guerlain / Vetiverus / Vert de Acampora

I spot checked a few large Ebay decant sellers, and they all list their sales as "New with box", but clearly indicated as a decant elsewhere throughout the listing. Never noticed that before. Interesting.

I wonder if Ebay is going to start manually cracking down on these; that's a LOT of listings. I remember a phase long ago (like 10 years) where Ebay tried to stop permitting decant sales, and either it didn't work and they abandoned the effort, or they reversed course. Maybe they're going back down that road, and hopefully it doesn't work again.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I always keep all my original packaging boxes, but it's frustrating, certain family members have a proclivity to throw them away, even going so far as to take out the bottle out from an already opened box, throwing the box away, because "why do you need this extra box?".

stinkin' to high heaven

............................. ◘ surrounded by squares ◘
    Blog Entries

Well, I just tried to relist a partial USED / Pre-owned spray bottle of perfume and I could NOT proceed, without checking / ticking, New in box or New without box. I guess the "crackdown" is real, has started. Other than trying to sell here, I guess I'm stuck with all my extra bottles. Craigslist is NOT an option and there is very little traffic on Crystal Flacon.
    Currently wearing: Poison by Christian Dior

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    Well, I just tried to relist a partial USED / Pre-owned spray bottle of perfume and I could NOT proceed, without checking / ticking, New in box or New without box. I guess the "crackdown" is real, has started. Other than trying to sell here, I guess I'm stuck with all my extra bottles. Craigslist is NOT an option and there is very little traffic on Crystal Flacon.
    I think most sellers are just going to lie and say "New" until and unless the consequences of that (whether from Ebay or from buyer confusion, or both) become too much of a strain. Per above, it's already happened with high volume decanters.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

It leaves me no choice than to list as new, but make sure that I put used in the header and in the body of the description.
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

stinkin' to high heaven

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I think most sellers are just going to lie and say "New" until and unless the consequences of that (whether from Ebay or from buyer confusion, or both) become too much of a strain. Per above, it's already happened with high volume decanters.
    I am certainly not going to lie and really, I can't. Most of my bottles are 80% full, on average. Advertising "new, low-fill" isn't an option either. I just relisted other perfumes on Monday. This enforcement must have JUST started.

I am certainly not going to lie and really, I can't. Most of my bottles are 80% full, on average. Advertising "new, low-fill" isn't an option either. I just relisted other perfumes on Monday. This enforcement must have JUST started.
    Oh I'm not saying it's a good idea! ILikePeeps nails it above about buyer confusion reading to massive seller headaches, not to mention the obvious issue of vintage partials being obviously not new.

I really have no moral qualms with sellers lying about "New" vintage scents and decants in Ebay postings in response to Ebay is introducing a blatantly dumb rule that hurts innocent sellers, but the headache probably isn't worth it. I just feel for folks who run legitimate businesses selling decants and vintage on Ebay. That's people's livelihoods, and was good for us hobbyists, too.

At least the Basenotes marketplace might get some heavier vintage action, which would be nice.

Basenotes Plus

I just ran a search in the fragrances category for a scent that always has a lot of used bottles (Cabochard), and the option to tick the "used" box still appears in the left-hand menu of filters. Everything that came up showed "pre-owned" under the auction title in the list of listings. But when you click on the individual item, the condition says " -- ".

I also looked at all the used fragrances in my 'watch' list, and everything that wasn't 'new in box' showed " -- " in the condition note that's always under the title of the item.

I also searched the 'Announcements' and 'Seller news' section for 'perfumes' and 'colognes'. Nothing came up.
    Before the leaves fall, an all-green September:
    Aromatics Elixir / Azuree / Corsica Furiosa / Cristalle / Eau du Sud / Eau Sauvage / Iskander / Ivoire, 1980 / Ivoire, 2012 / Le Canotier / Ninfeo Mio / No. 19 / Prince de Galles Sport / Route de Vetiver / Safari / Silences / Sud Est / Tiare / Vent Vert / Vetiver de Guerlain / Vetiverus / Vert de Acampora

stinkin' to high heaven

Blog Entries

Oh I'm not saying it's a good idea! ILikePeeps nails it above about buyer confusion reading to massive seller headaches, not to mention the obvious issue of vintage partials being obviously not new.

I really have no moral qualms with sellers lying about "New" vintage scents and decants in Ebay postings in response to Ebay is introducing a blatantly dumb rule that hurts innocent sellers, but the headache probably isn't worth it. I just feel for folks who run legitimate businesses selling decants and vintage on Ebay. That's people's livelihoods, and was good for us hobbyists, too.

At least the Basenotes marketplace might get some heavier vintage action, which would be nice.
    https://community.ebay.com/t5/Sellin.../td-p/30153282

If this link works, here is some recent chatter about the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I just ran a search in the fragrances category for a scent that always has a lot of used bottles (Cabochard), and the option to tick the "used" box still appears in the left-hand menu of filters. Everything that came up showed "pre-owned" under the auction title in the list of listings. But when you click on the individual item, the condition says " -- ".

I also looked at all the used fragrances in my 'watch' list, and everything that wasn't 'new in box' showed " -- " in the condition note that's always under the title of the item.

I also searched the 'Announcements' and 'Seller news' section for 'perfumes' and 'colognes'. Nothing came up.

Yeah, sure you can search and find listings still active. I don't doubt that. You, aren't on the selling end. It can't be done, relisting - I Just tried.

Well this really sucks. I had already slowed down on buying any new fragrances, so I'm really going to slow down now. Not being able to get rid of fragrances quickly on eBay is going to make me think long and hard about buying any more fragrances. The sales forum here is pretty much dead now, so getting rid of fragrances is going to be really hard now. Not going to risk listing used fragrances as new on eBay, so I can only hope the sales forum here sees an uptick in traffic. Believe it or not, in the old days around here, the sales forum was so busy that if you posted a sales thread it would be bumped way down on the 2nd page by the next day, and it was super easy to sell bottles. Hopefully those glory days will return, but I won't be holding my breath.
    Currently wearing: Herod by Parfums de Marly

stinkin' to high heaven

Blog Entries

I just did, a really quick search: Collectibles > Vanity, Perfume & Shaving > Perfumes > Other Perfume Collectibles, and it is ALREADY saturated with modern, partial bottles, with or without boxes. A lot, just newly listed so... This may be the alternative for us used bottle sellers. I may have to think about this...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Sellin.../td-p/30153282

If this link works, here is some recent chatter about the whole thing.
    Thanks...Interesting idea in there about posting to the "Collectibles > Vanity, Perfume & Shaving > Perfumes > Other Perfume Collectibles" category.

For true vintage, that's spot on. And I suppose could could argue that people "collect" all kinds of things, including used perfumes, and decants of perfumes. No lying required!

[edit: Phleg beat me to it!]

stinkin' to high heaven

Blog Entries

Thanks...Interesting idea in there about posting to the "Collectibles > Vanity, Perfume & Shaving > Perfumes > Other Perfume Collectibles" category.

For true vintage, that's spot on. And I suppose could could argue that people "collect" all kinds of things, including used perfumes, and decants of perfumes. No lying required!

[edit: Phleg beat me to it!]
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/233319070378

Here ya go! I just listed the perfume I tried to relist earlier, now, in "this" category with No probalem. Now, I'll see what kind of traffic I get, listing in the Collectible category...

What happens if you list a partial bottle as new and then in the description write, "I bought this new and you can see by the fill level what you will be receiving?" Anyone try this idea?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233319070378

Here ya go! I just listed the perfume I tried to relist earlier, now, in "this" category with No probalem. Now, I'll see what kind of traffic I get, listing in the Collectible category...
    Good news!

It'll be interesting to see how or if this impacts searchability. I feel like most people don't browse by category, but I know the search suggested results "in XYZ category" alongside just open keyword matches. I always use the open keyword option, and imagine most people do.