Code of Conduct

Default Aromachemicals for use in liquid paraffin lamp oil

Hello all!

I haven't been able to find a good source for this so I'm reaching out here.

I have some IFF ACs that I'd like to put to use in not a wax candle, but instead add to liquid lamp oil.

Almost all the existing resources out there detail either alchohol based perfumery or wax candles... I was wondering if anyone had insight into solvents or bases that need to be added to use ACs in liquid paraffin oil? Thank you very much!

Default Re: Aromachemicals for use in liquid paraffin lamp oil

Can you clarify what liquid lamp oil is? Is it a sealed container with a wick that you light? Or something else?

I'm asking because the majority of the aroma from a lit candle occurs from the melting wax pool, not from the combustion in the wick (I actually think this destroys the majority of ACs and distorts the ones that do survive). One of those sealed containers with a wick wouldn't be very effective at diffusing a fragrance IMO.

I did have the sealed clear glass votive with paraffin lamp oil in mind.. never considered that candles were fragrant from the melted portion. Very interesting.. so probably a no-go?

You could try it but I don't think you'll get great results... I wouldn't load anymore than 10% of ACs total.

Fragrant oils were often burned in lamps in antiquity. You may find the excerpt below of interest:

One way to render fragrant the atmosphere of a house was to take care of the quality of the oil burning in the lamps. The oil used for the lamps was often of inferior quality 49 and famous for exhaling an acrid odor when burned 50. Among the most common practices was to pour perfumed unguents into lamps. A few drops of unguents could transform this acridity into various sweet scents. Elagabalus had balsam-oil poured in the lamps 51. Trimalchio uses the same perfume for his guests and for the lamps 52. The Vita Silvestri recommends that nard-oil be burnt in Roman basilicas 53.
    https://www.academia.edu/494438/From...ion_of_incense

Lamps used in this way would probably have had an open filling hole, so that any volatiles could freely evaporate. If you were using a standard paraffin lamp then you might want to keep the filling port open.

The rate of evaporation would probably be faster if you make your own, as you could remove any barrier between the oil and flame. You probably wouldn't want to leave it unattended though. If you use a metal wick tube then that would also heat the oil up faster. To make a lamp fitting that description see here, here and here. The only change that you might want to make is to increase the length of the wick tube, so that the oil level never falls below that of the copper.

Quote Originally Posted by Pears View Post
    Fragrant oils were often burned in lamps in antiquity. You may find the excerpt below of interest:

https://www.academia.edu/494438/From...ion_of_incense

Lamps used in this way would probably have had an open filling hole, so that any volatiles could freely evaporate. If you were using a standard paraffin lamp then you might want to keep the filling port open.

The rate of evaporation would probably be faster if you make your own, as you could remove any barrier between the oil and flame. You probably wouldn't want to leave it unattended though. If you use a metal wick tube then that would also heat the oil up faster. To make a lamp fitting that description see here, here and here. The only change that you might want to make is to increase the length of the wick tube, so that the oil level never falls below that of the copper.
    Very cool info Pears!