Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
o

Lightbulb New Dior Fahrenheit EDT Formulation for 2019 # 12948/A

Hi there,

I finally got my hands on a new Dior Fahrenheit EdT bottle (batch 9F03 - June 2019), which shows the new formulation on the bottom of the box.

The boxes look exactly the same, the bottles, too - just the list of ingredients written on the bottom of the box is different. Please take a look here:

Fahrenheit Edt 2018 - 2019.jpg

Fahrenheit EdT 2018.jpg

Fahrenheit EdT 2019.jpg

So if you compare both, you'll notice, that following ingredients are missing in the the new version:

- Benzyl Benzoate
    - Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde

Smellwise, there are differences, but it's hard to tell if these are caused by a new formulation of the scent itself or based on the fact, that my End-2018 bottle is opened since a few months and the juice aged a little bit. Or maybe just the usual batch to batch tolerances?
    However I need some more time to compare both scents and get to a final verdict.

At least I can tell you, that the new one smells fine and the difference to the older one is not as big as with the latest Dior Homme EdT reformulation or even Eau Sauvage Parfum and Dior Homme Sport (2012 vs 2017 versions).

Best regards!

Default Re: New Dior Fahrenheit EDT Formulation for 2019 # 12948/A

Have you done due diligence and read up on the relevant laws regarding the chemicals that have to be named on products? Have those laws been changed recently and could explain the differences? Benzyl benzoate for instance is not a fragrance molecule. What you are reading is also not the formula for the fragrance but just chemicals that have to be named on the box, because of European laws.

Quote Originally Posted by CutSmut View Post
    Have you done due diligence and read up on the relevant laws regarding the chemicals that have to be named on products? Have those laws been changed recently and could explain the differences? Benzyl benzoate for instance is not a fragrance molecule. What you are reading is also not the formula for the fragrance but just chemicals that have to be named on the box, because of European laws.
    I haven't read up relevant laws about that and don't know about current IFRA restrictions.
    Benzyl Benzoate is an antibacterial fixative which can also improve the smell of a fragrance.
    Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde aka Lyral is a fragrance and masking ingredient and has a longlasting scent reminiscent of Lily of the Valley.

I'm certainly aware about that ingredients list isn't the formula of the scent or pure perfume oil - that's why I said I'm not sure if they changed that formula, too. Maybe it's the same as before and the differences smellwise are due to batch tolerances (tolerances of natural ingredients).

So how do you know with the batch number or serial number what year each one was made?
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Luna Rossa Carbon by Prada

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    So how do you know with the batch number or serial number what year each one was made?
    First digit is for the year, the letter after that is for the month, following digits for the week.

fe. 8L03 is 2018, November (=L, M would be December), 3rd week

You can check this here: http://www.checkfresh.com/christian-dior.html

Blog Entries

Good story
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator
    Currently wearing: Reflection Man by Amouage

Basenotes Plus

Oh boy. Everyone will probably lose their minds over this. Any changes to fragrances that have a following like this one will result in mass panic and riots on the forum.

OP, thanks for posting this, and taking the plunge on a 2019 bottle. I purchased a big bottle of the 2018 vintage due to all of the positive word here on the forum. It’s great, and I have no complaints at all, but it’s still interesting to see the comparisons of the different batches.

You're welcome.

I know how many of you guys love Fahrenheit EdT - as I do, too.
    And that's why I needed to open the new bottle even though the 2018 one is still 3/4 full.

I have to see if I need to buy some backup 2018 bottles of the 09588/A formulation or not.
    There's no need to panic, there are plenty of them around to buy.
    I guess most of you would rather have difficulties to find the brandnew ones of the 12948/A formulation. I don't know, when exactly the formulation has changed but it's certainly not half a year ago.
    Last edited by FragFrog; 22nd August 2019 at 02:26 AM.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post
    OP, thanks for posting this
    Yes, thank you.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Freed from BN Institution

Thanks for this detailed comparison of the two formulation.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Woto by Deviline

a quarter million, tops

Hmm. Super interesting, will follow this with interest. It was great, so hope they just made it even better.
    Itís tragic to think that heroic manís great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Thanks for the thread. I'm wondering why Dior SA's would just straight up lie to me and tell me that no bottles are in production for 2019?

Is that a batch number though or a lot number? If a lot number is the same as a batch number, it could be from the same batch, just a different order. But that wouldn't answer why the ingredients are different, unless they didn't get the packaging out in time for the new formulations.

Is that a batch number though or a lot number? If a lot number is the same as a batch number, it could be from the same batch, just a different order. But that wouldn't answer why the ingredients are different, unless they didn't get the packaging out in time for the new formulations.
    The batch numbers are the 4 digit ones which are punched into the box and are also printed on the sticker on the bottom of the bottle.
    In the pictures shown above the batch numbers are 8L03 and 9F03.

The formulation code is the longer number at the end of the ingredients list, as shown above 09588/A for the 2018 bottle and 12948/A for the 2019 one.

They are clearly different and not from the same batch.

Quote Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
    The batch numbers are the 4 digit ones which are punched into the box and are also printed on the sticker on the bottom of the bottle.
    In the pictures shown above the batch numbers are 8L03 and 9F03.

The formulation code is the longer number at the end of the ingredients list, as shown above 09588/A for the 2018 bottle and 12948/A for the 2019 one.

They are clearly different and not from the same batch.
    I'm not disagreeing with you. Just a devil's advocate thing. The formulation code is a lot number, I'm guessing. If that is the case, it's possible to be from the same batch. You can tell the difference from the batch number, clearly, but not necessarily from the lot number.

I'm not disagreeing with you. Just a devil's advocate thing. The formulation code is a lot number, I'm guessing. If that is the case, it's possible to be from the same batch. You can tell the difference from the batch number, clearly, but not necessarily from the lot number.
    The numbers at the end of the ingredients list are the formula codes. It was 09588/A for the last 4 years - however a 2016 Fahrenheit EDT haven't smelled like a late 2018 Fahrenheit EDT though they should due to the same formulation. But during the years they probably changed suppliers for certain raw materials and natural ingredients may have tolerances smellwise.
    The 2019 one shown above is a new formula and smells different from the older formula.
    The batches are labeled with the 4 digit codes which are punched in the box. If you got two bottles from 9F03, they should smell exactly the same.
    Hope that clears things up.

Well, at least the still have a formula number printed. I went looking for old version of Dior Homme and new versions seem to have no formula number listed anymore. Managed to get 1 vintage 2 first reformulations of Dior Homme and only two 2011 Fahrenheit, so I am set.

EDIT formula on my Fahrenheit is 04777/a

Quote Originally Posted by Schnitter View Post
    Well, at least the still have a formula number printed. I went looking for old version of Dior Homme and new versions seem to have no formula number listed anymore. Managed to get 1 vintage 2 first reformulations of Dior Homme and only two 2011 Fahrenheit, so I am set.
    I've got Dior Homme EdT Batch 8M02 and the formula code is printed on the box (12244/A) - I've bought several bottles of this batch as it's excellent and I like it more than older Dior Homme versions. I'm not kidding here!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack103 View Post
    Thanks for the thread. I'm wondering why Dior SA's would just straight up lie to me and tell me that no bottles are in production for 2019?
    They want you to buy it right then and there rather than wait. Maybe they have commission based jobs?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
    I've got Dior Homme EdT Batch 8M02 and the formula code is printed on the box (12244/A) - I've bought several bottles of this batch as it's excellent and I like it more than older Dior Homme versions. I'm not kidding here!
    I have a 2018 batch of Dior Homme EDT myself, yes it’s nice and a enjoyable wear very happy with my bottle.
    Current Top Favorites

Azzaro Azzaro Pour Homme
    Guerlain LíInstant De Guerlain Pour Homme EDP
    Chanel Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
    Guerlain Heritage EDT
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Christian Dior Dior Homme EDT
    Ralph Lauren Polo

So here we go!

I've done a couple of wearings, A/B comparisons and several blind tests with paper strips with Fahrenheit EdT batch 8L03 (production date: November 2018, formulation: 09855/A) and batch 9F03 (production date: June 2019, formulation: 12948/A). And later with 9A01 (see below).

The 8L03 is sprayed since half a year and there are 2/3 left.
    The 9F03 was brandnew and opened not long before I started this thread.

8L03 has better longevity, is more dense and richer smelling, you get the leather, the "gasoline", the floral and fruity (mandarin) notes, overall an excellent batch!
    9F03 has better projection for the first hour but less longevity, is more airy and zesty, has noticeably less leather, but a very nice sweetness paired with amped up fruity and floral notes - very enjoyable!

During the first hour, it's hard to pick a winner here as it's a matter of taste, which smell you'd prefer, after that, 8L03 would be my favorite.

Aside the toned down leather, the new formulation has a different smelling base (with all the fixatives). If you spray both formulations on the back of your hands, let it settle down for 15 minutes and then wash it off, you'll be left with two different smells on the skin. The old formulation remains more balsamic and rich, the new formulation is more bright and zingy, has some weird metallic nuances, which reminded me a little bit of the smell of blood. Those nuances are very subtle and I doubt, someone would pick them up in the sillage. But freshly sprayed and sticking your nose to the skin, it is more scratchy.

As I found the 8L03 to be the overall better scent, I decided to get some backup bottles of the older 09588/A formulation.
    I managed to get a few bottles of batch 9A01, which is still the older formulation:

Fahrenheit 02.jpg

Opened the box, sprayed it... and I was so underwhelmed.
    That 9A01 is nowhere near 8L03.
    Yes, it's brandnew and so it's only fair to compare that one with the 9F03, which is even newer and also freshly opened without ageing a couple of months.
    But the new formulation 9F03 is also better.

In detail:

You'll notice, that 8L03 and 9A01 should be the same scent (as they are the same formulation) - the base is the same. The 9F03 is different.
    However the 9A01 is lacking in performance, has lost it's "magic", very low floral and fruity notes, the complete scent appears a little bit unharmonic and "off". Hard to describe, it's just not pleasant to smell.

If you spray 8L03 and 9A01 on the back of your hands, let it settle down for a few hours, then hit the skin with some water, the 8L03 seems to come back to life, you get a big whiff of mandarin and the violet, just extremly nice and a clear sign of high quality to my nose. The 9A01 in comparison does just nothing, it's dead, no extra whiffs, just that plain smeary smell.
    If you do the same with the new formulation 9F03, it also comes back to life as described - however a little bit softer and not as rich as 8L03. But it has the potential to age well and become better - and stronger of course. I don't see that chance with 9A01.

Conclusion:

- the new formulation does smell different
    - the new formulation is probably weaker
    - the new formulation smells nice though!
    - there are differences with the old formulation (8L03 is excellent, 9A01 is crap!)
    - I can't recommend to pick up early 2019 bottles of the 09588/A formulation
    - new formulation 12948/A happened between January 2019 and May 2019 (I've seen a 9E01 which is the new formulation, too)

So these are my results.
    I don't know what to do now. The best case would be to find some late 2018 bottles and buy them. But if there are some bad batches like the 9A01, I'd rather stick to the new formulation and get a more modern, less "daring" but enjoyable Fahrenheit.

Please keep in mind, that these are my personal, subjective impressions.
    I'm pretty sure, that there will be a guy out there, who owns a 2019 Fahrenheit 9A01 and would strongly disagree with me on the smell and quality.
    I just can talk about the particular batches and bottles I have purchased brandnew and sealed from reputable Dior sellers.

Hopefully you found this a little bit helpful.
    At least, Fahrenheit is still a nice scent and buyworthy!

Fahrenheit doesn't fly off the shelves so you should b able to get the 18s. I got my 18 back in March of this year.

Fahrenheit doesn't fly off the shelves so you should b able to get the 18s. I got my 18 back in March of this year.
    The three biggest online sellers here in Germany have only newer 2019 ones in stock.
    And I'm struggling to buy from greymarket dealers.

Impressive that Dior pulls this crap. I mean... this perfume probably costs a few dollars to produce, yet they decide to cut corners to save a few pennies when they sell these for like 80$.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FragrA(nce)ddict View Post
    Impressive that Dior pulls this crap. I mean... this perfume probably costs a few dollars to produce, yet they decide to cut corners to save a few pennies when they sell these for like 80$.
    Dior is horrible about this but always get a free pass.

Bernard arnault makes 100 billion doing stuff like this

I'm not trying to bash Dior here, but that was not the first time, I've experienced that big batch tolerances of the "same" scent when the batches were even only a few months away from each other regarding production date.

There are always tolerances in the natural ingredients, yes, and maybe they changed the supplier, too. Who knows.
    But in this case Fahrenheit 9A01 is just not pleasant to smell - and I really love Fahrenheit. I wouldn't want to wear that batch, even if it was for free.
    At least I can return those bottles so that's not a big bummer.

And I've decided to keep the 9F03 and see, how it develops the next months. Maybe I give some other late 2018 bottles a chance, if I find any of them at official Dior dealers, but honestly I don't feel like gambling.
    You are absolutely right and if I pay Dior prices I want to get a premium product and like to be able to rely on a constant quality control.

Banned

I should try the 20 18–20 19 because the prior versions were absolutely horrible from the last 5-10 years

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    I should try the 20 18–20 19 because the prior versions were absolutely horrible from the last 5-10 years
    Just can recommend the late 2018 ones. They were really good. I haven't tried earlier 2018 ones, maybe they are also nice.
    I honestly regret not buying a few bottles of the 8L03 as I usually do if I find an amazing batch. Have done that with DH, DHI, DHP and Fahrenheit Le Parfum, too.
    I gave a sample of the 8L03 to a guy who has the old Fahrenheit EDT and loves it - he was stunned how good it smelled and said it was almost like his old one.
    Maybe I'll give him a decant of the 9F03, too and see if he likes that one. I do as it's a little bit fresher and - I'm not kidding here - the mandarin reminds me a little bit of Aqva Amara, which I enjoy, too.

In the states, particularly in Indianapolis, I don't think it moves that quickly. But maybe they sent back older bottles when new ones come out? I can get Fahrenheit at Wal Mart and I know their scent cabinet doesn't move that fast.