Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Default Re: Fragrances that Copy a Trend off an Original and is in your Opinion Better than the Original.

Bigarade Concentree - simply a better and more potent version of Cologne Bigarade.
    Summer Rotation
    Acqua di Gio Profumo
    Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche
    Sel Marin
    Castile
    Mugler Cologne
    Allure Homme Sport Cologne

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Default Re: Fragrances that Copy a Trend off an Original and is in your Opinion Better than the Original.

Can't believe we've made it to page 2 and no Parfums Vintage rep in disguise listed their entire wardrobe!

I was also thinking of MMM's At the Barbers. Great one!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Schnitter View Post
    Can't believe we've made it to page 2 and no Parfums Vintage rep in disguise listed their entire wardrobe!
    That”s because it’s not YouTube
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Lavender extreme is better than CPUH
    BEAU DU JOUR is better than Rive Gauche
    I agree with both. Sadly, the pricing on both Tom Ford’s (especially Lavender Extreme) is ridiculous.

I also think Viktor & Rolf’s Antidote did something similar to but better than Chanel Allure Homme.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Schnitter View Post
    I haven't been in touch with the Parfums Vintage guy in a few years, but I have to say, that dude is legit. When he was creating his first clone of Aventus, he got in touch with a bunch of folks here on BN and sent us samples. He didn't just send samples of the final version, he sent packs of samples of various versions he was working on to get our feedback - not just on which version we preferred, but also why. I was impressed (and the project was a lot of fun).

I've got nothing but respect for his work.

That being said... I haven't tried anything since his first release or two of Pineapple Vintage. I don't know if I'd say Pineapple Vintage is better than Aventus, but it's miles and miles and miles ahead of any other Aventus clones.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Tabac Rouge
    CK One
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Neroli Portofino
    Prada L'Homme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Interlude Man
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Aqua Universalis
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Bigarade Concentree - simply a better and more potent version of Cologne Bigarade.
    I need to revisit those two! Bigarade Concentree is so good!

If we're counting flankers... Terre d'Hermes Parfum beats the original for me.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Tabac Rouge
    CK One
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Neroli Portofino
    Prada L'Homme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Interlude Man
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Aqua Universalis
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

Coromandel is better than Borneo 1834

Grey Vetiver is better than Guerlain Vetiver

Penhaligons sartorial is better than Brut

Quote Originally Posted by bartholomew View Post
    I also think Viktor & Rolf’s Antidote did something similar to but better than Chanel Allure Homme.
    And then Alien Man by Mugler tried to reproduce the magic of Antidote and failed
    Currently wearing: Honour Man by Amouage

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Lavender extreme is better than CPUH
    BEAU DU JOUR is better than Rive Gauche
    “To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art.”
    Grand Admiral Thrawn

Burberry Brit Rhythm Intense is way better than Burberry Brit Rhythm (and the original Burberry Brit if you will but they are not alike smell wise).
    My Top '11' :

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Tom Ford: Ombré Leather
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - Amouage: Interlude

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I am on the opposite side, love my DHI
    I can see that. DHI is a great fragrance. I just like the leather aspect of VUI.
    All Time Favorites
    Kouros - YSL
    Vintage Fahrenheit - Dior
    Fahrenheit Parfum - Dior
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Patchouli Nobile - Nobile 1942
    Aventus - Creed
    Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Green Irish Tweed - Creed
    Royal Oud - Creed
    Halfeti - Penhaligon's
    Mousse Illuminee - Rouge Perfumery

Basenotes Plus

IMO, L'Artisan Premier Figuier is superior Diptyque Philosykos. Virtually identical fig fragrance, but L'Artisan Premier Figuier doesn't have an annoying accent from either the leaf or wood note that, to me, smells bug-spray'ish on Philosykos. I seem to be the only one that picks that up, but I don't smell it on L'Artisan Premier Figuier. And IMO, L'Artisan Premier Figuier just smells like a slightly better version of the same fragrance. It's perfumed by the same perfumer, Olivia Giacobetti. Technically L'Artisan Premier Figuier was perfumed 2 years before Philosykos, but Philosykos gets all the love. IMO, the lesser talked about one and 1st born is the best fig fragrance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Maybe Creed Original Vetiver to Mugler Cologne? I'm sure some will disagree.
    This! Creed feels better from a textural standpoint to me as opposed to the Mugler.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I haven't been in touch with the Parfums Vintage guy in a few years, but I have to say, that dude is legit. When he was creating his first clone of Aventus, he got in touch with a bunch of folks here on BN and sent us samples. He didn't just send samples of the final version, he sent packs of samples of various versions he was working on to get our feedback - not just on which version we preferred, but also why. I was impressed (and the project was a lot of fun).
    That’s actually really cool. It makes me wonder why PV doesn’t get much chatter on the forums here. I’m guessing it’s simply because it’s a clone house, as none of them really get much love (or mention) on here.

When I first joined here, I had just started the fragrance hobby, and I expected to see clones get discussed a lot more than they actually do. I have some clones I picked up early on, but have found that I generally enjoy owning the original more. For me, it’s not about hating on clones or anything of the sort, it’s more about becoming familiar with the real deal, and having that frame of reference. I’ve also never seen a clone that is an exact copy. Having said that, I have never smelled anything from DUA, Alexandrea, or Parfums Vintage.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    This! Creed feels better from a textural standpoint to me as opposed to the Mugler.
    I think the Creed Original Vetiver is richer, deeper. Mugler Cologne is light and crisp. The crispness of Mugler Cologne is the what sets both apart more identifiably IMO. Mugler Cologne could 'arguably' work slightly better in super hot weather. I think Original Vetiver excels as a Fall and Spring scent where a bit of coolness allows it's depth to take on an almost fougere-like quality (it's not a fougere but the depth it has in certain weather can help it take on a fougere-like richness that I can't quite put into words). This one is a strange conundrum of a pair of scents in that it seems redundant to buy them both because they are so similar, but at the same time either one could be said to work better in different weather or with a different mood, ie, crisp & light vs rich & deep. The general scent profile is the same, but the character and temperament of each has its own appeal.

Dependent

I find the ginger in OV to be quite prominent, giving it some spicy heat/warmth that works well for spring and autumn moods.

Initially I thought it was a Mugler Cologne ripoff, but it has quite a lot more to it, when you live with it for a while.
    “To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art.”
    Grand Admiral Thrawn

Oudh Al Boruzz Rooh Al Assam Rasasi > Oud Ispahan, Dior
    Oudh Al Boruzz Abeer Malaysia Rasasi >>> Michael for Men, Michael Kors
    Portfolio Neroli Canvas Al Haramain > Neroli Portofino, Tom Ford

(All greater than what they're very similar to.)
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Bracken Man by Amouage

Great thread.