Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Vetiver fragrances inventory: under-the-radar

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Ramon Monegal - Agar Musk -- Never mentioned, but one of my favorites.

Bvlgari Man is a really nice underrated vetiver scent.

Recently discontinued (I think), but it may still be readily available, since it was in production not long ago: by Kilian - Cruel Intentions. Dark and rooty. One of my favorites.

+1 Elle Saab Vetiver
    +1 Oriza L. Legrand - Vetiver Royal Bourbon

Oh, and +1 Ex Nihilo - Vetiver Moloko.

Thank you! List updated with the first two listed.
    I did a quick search for By Kilian CI, and couldn't find it except for one seller who offers expensive decants, so I'll keep it out of this list, but thanks for the info!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pelle View Post
    Creed Vetiver (not Original Vetiver) on your list is discontinued I guess... If not could you give me some info on where to get it
    Thanks for the info! I deleted it, since I'd rather keep only fragrances currently available on the market.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    My favorite take on vetiver is

T H I R D
    W E S T
    B R A N D

O L D
    B O U R B O N
    I checked West third Brand's website, and found 2 other vetiver frags: one is called "Vert Vetiver", an EDT priced in line with their other EDTs, and the other is called "Vetiver X", and for a reason I ignore, it retails at a higher price tag compared to the other EDPs ($125 instead of $78 for 50ml...). Have you heard about them?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    I checked West third Brand's website, and found 2 other vetiver frags: one is called "Vert Vetiver", an EDT priced in line with their other EDTs, and the other is called "Vetiver X", and for a reason I ignore, it retails at a higher price tag compared to the other EDPs ($125 instead of $78 for 50ml...). Have you heard about them?
    I haven't tried either.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, L'Erbolario Méharées, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, West Third Brand Amérique

Strictly and Strictly Night by Jil Sander are very nice, peppery vetiver scents. Both are still available from what I can tell.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DonRivella View Post
    Strictly and Strictly Night by Jil Sander are very nice, peppery vetiver scents. Both are still available from what I can tell.
    At that point, I added the trilogy in whole, since all 3 seem to be still available. Thank you for the info!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestbrummie View Post
    I would probably put at the top of my list actual vetiver essential oil as it's a complex smell in its own right. I wear it on skin, or in my bath, or mixed with body lotion.

Some thoughts on a few in the OP:

Guerlain Vetiver - I find this to be pretty light and an easy reach
    Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee - and not forgetting Homme EDP or formerly Homme Intense which has a strong vetiver presence
    Lalique Encre Noire - Sheer and airy, and I think it would be seen in a different light if it came in a clear bottle. Love the review here by Victoria on Bois de Jasmin for her take on it, and then also the perspective of a lot of female perfume lovers further down the page
    Lalique Encre Noire a' l'Extreme - Something rooty and brown about this to my nose. Probably my current favourite from this series.
    Lalique Encre Noire Sport - Lavender adds a nice aromatic lift to the green of the original
    L'Artisan Parfumeur Timbuktu - a masterpiece of vetiver and incense
    Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum - great fragrance in both versions but I find the dry downs to be significantly different. The 2012 version's myrrh lasts as long as the vetiver in the base, in fact it smells almost like you're wearing essential oils of both ingredients. ESP 2017 doesn't have myrrh in it.
    Dior Eau Sauvage Extreme - a lovely minty lavender perfume, but no vetiver in this to my nose
    Chanel Sycomore - always makes me think of an upper class version of EN with a slight gourmand twist. Would take the Lalique over this any day, personally.
    LT Piver Vetiver - an old school classic very much in the same vein as the Guerlain. Well worth it, especially at the prices you can find it for these days.
    Prada Infusion de Vetiver - very light and enjoyable, it has a lovely sparkle to it with the trademark Prada soapiness feel.

Then working down the list and adding a few:

Miller Harris Vetiver Insolent - others before me have summed this up well. Lovely.
    Miller Harris Fleurs de Sel - aromatic and salty
    Dior Fahrenheit 32 - vetiver and vanilla. Seriously underrated.
    Lush Breath of God - a masterpiece. It's the combination of the perfume oils Inhale and Exhale which are both lovely in their own right, and both contain vetiver.
    Lush Stayin Aliive - smoke and vetiver and frankincense over a non-sweet vanilla base. An actual powerhouse from Lush, at least in the original style bottle.
    Bentley Infinite Intense - pepper and vetiver. Doesn't get much attention on here but it's an easy reach for me.
    Rasasi Woody for Men - vetiver and cedar. Very enjoyable for a very reasonable price.
    L'Artisan Parfumeur Dzongkha - chalky dry incense and iris with vetiver. A clear cousin of Timbuktu.
    What a great contribution, thank you so much! I added/modify my notes where necessary, and added/deleted the frags you suggested to the list. A few observations:
    - To my nose, Guerlain Homme EDT and EDP (fka Homme Intense) are more boozy/lime centered frags, where the vetiver acts as a subtle support note (except for L'Eau Boisee, where it co-stars with the lime). That's why I kept them out of the list.
    - I forgot about Breathe of God, that I had previously tested. Too sweet for my tastes, but it deserves absolutely a spot in this list. (added to my previously tested list)
    - Dzonghka was already listed

- Question: for you, is Stayin' Alive bottle worthy?
    - And for Fleurs de Sel ? (I'm not a fan of TdC Sel de Vetiver, FYI)
    Thanks!

Great list!

Pardon if they're there, I glimpsed but did not see...
    Profumum Fumidus - Peaty scotch then vetiver.
    Mono d'Orio Vetyver - Vetiver with noticeable nutmeg, ginger, and cedar.
    Royall Lyme Bermuda Vetiver - all purpose lotion, behaves like an edc, refreshing splash, maybe a little citrus/wood too but it's pretty much just vetiver.
    Wanna Shop? --> Buzier's Sales

MY TOP SHELF: Azzaro pH, Bel Ami, Blackbird, Blend 30, Cuba, Davidoff '84, Derby, Edition, Equipage, Jules, Knize Ten, Kouros, Leather Oud, Puredistance M, Santal Noble, Tribute Attar, Yatagan
    Currently wearing: Oud 27 by Le Labo

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    Great list!

Pardon if they're there, I glimpsed but did not see...
    Profumum Fumidus - Peaty scotch then vetiver.
    Mono d'Orio Vetyver - Vetiver with noticeable nutmeg, ginger, and cedar.
    Royall Lyme Bermuda Vetiver - all purpose lotion, behaves like an edc, refreshing splash, maybe a little citrus/wood too but it's pretty much just vetiver.
    The Mona di Orio was indeed listed, but I missed a description! I also added the other 2 frags, together with a second vetiver I found from the RLB house. Thank you for your contribution, it's highly appreciated!

I really like Sultan Pasha’s Vetiver Blanc: slightly floral, light green opening, with a nice salty/minty ambergris/vetiver dry down. Humid/rain vibes. Clean.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    I really like Sultan Pasha’s Vetiver Blanc: slightly floral, light green opening, with a nice salty/minty ambergris/vetiver dry down. Humid/rain vibes. Clean.
    List updated, thanks!

What a great contribution, thank you so much! I added/modify my notes where necessary, and added/deleted the frags you suggested to the list. A few observations:
    - To my nose, Guerlain Homme EDT and EDP (fka Homme Intense) are more boozy/lime centered frags, where the vetiver acts as a subtle support note (except for L'Eau Boisee, where it co-stars with the lime). That's why I kept them out of the list.
    - I forgot about Breathe of God, that I had previously tested. Too sweet for my tastes, but it deserves absolutely a spot in this list. (added to my previously tested list)
    - Dzonghka was already listed

- Question: for you, is Stayin' Alive bottle worthy?
    - And for Fleurs de Sel ? (I'm not a fan of TdC Sel de Vetiver, FYI)
    Thanks!
    Welcome, hope it was helpful.

(I've linked the Lush scents below to their respective pages on the Lush website as it's always fun to see how many natural oils they contain, plus you can search by ingredient to find other stuff)

I find Breath of God to be very different on my skin to paper or from the nozzle. I get smoke and vetiver primarily. The Inhale perfume oil has vetiver listed in the notes and it's probably the one for you to avoid if you find BoG sweet. I really enjoy it, and often mix it with body lotion after a bath. You might want to smell the Exhale oil which is all of the smoky stuff - vetiver isn't listed in the ingredients but it's mentioned on the oil's page on the Lush website and a Lush perfume guru told me it's hidden away in the "parfum" in the ingredients.

Stayin' Alive is back-up worthy, and I have a couple of bottles of the vintage packaging but I don't find the smell to have changed - I actually smelt the perfume today in a Lush store near me and it's the same scent. It's a performance beast and nothing smells quite like it to me. The SA in the Lush store today said that some people perceive the vanilla and vetiver more, and some perceive the smoke and frankincense and vetiver more. I'm in the latter camp.

Lush's Dear John and Smugglers Soul both contain vetiver and I'm too tired to check back to see if they've been mentioned already

Fleur de Sel is lovely and I enjoy it every time I wear it but if I had to choose, I would take Vetiver Insolent over it. And if you like Vetiver Insolent, I would recommend that you would also like Encre Noire a l'Extreme (or vice versa).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestbrummie View Post
    Welcome, hope it was helpful.

(I've linked the Lush scents below to their respective pages on the Lush website as it's always fun to see how many natural oils they contain, plus you can search by ingredient to find other stuff)

I find Breath of God to be very different on my skin to paper or from the nozzle. I get smoke and vetiver primarily. The Inhale perfume oil has vetiver listed in the notes and it's probably the one for you to avoid if you find BoG sweet. I really enjoy it, and often mix it with body lotion after a bath. You might want to smell the Exhale oil which is all of the smoky stuff - vetiver isn't listed in the ingredients but it's mentioned on the oil's page on the Lush website and a Lush perfume guru told me it's hidden away in the "parfum" in the ingredients.

Stayin' Alive is back-up worthy, and I have a couple of bottles of the vintage packaging but I don't find the smell to have changed - I actually smelt the perfume today in a Lush store near me and it's the same scent. It's a performance beast and nothing smells quite like it to me. The SA in the Lush store today said that some people perceive the vanilla and vetiver more, and some perceive the smoke and frankincense and vetiver more. I'm in the latter camp.

Lush's Dear John and Smugglers Soul both contain vetiver and I'm too tired to check back to see if they've been mentioned already

Fleur de Sel is lovely and I enjoy it every time I wear it but if I had to choose, I would take Vetiver Insolent over it. And if you like Vetiver Insolent, I would recommend that you would also like Encre Noire a l'Extreme (or vice versa).
    Nice! will add those to the list.
    That's great news, because i thought that Exhale was discontinued, but it's still on the site, even in the US! I own (and listed) Smuggler's Soul, and never heard about Dear John (currently out-of-stock in the US....of well). Stayin' Alive costs twice more here than in the UK, I'll have to think about it...

As for Miller Harris, Vetiver Insolent is planned to be ordered next week, and I own Encre Noire a' l'Extreme (as well as the other 2 Encre Noire)!
    Thanks for your inputs!

Get Formidable Man by Andre Putman
    This is one of the absolute best. A Stunner

OK since anything that may be available on ebay is in play now, here's three more:
    Lanvin Vetyver
    Les Notes de Lanvin Vetyver Blanc
    Azzaro Pure Vetiver

Apart from the numerous of the stellar, impressive and crafty vetiver option already included-also taking the liberty to add among the very affordable ones:

Sandalo del Kashmir e Vetiver by Tesori d'Oriente
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Basenotes Plus

Surprisingly.. Roja Dove Elysium Parfum Pour Homme - it was so heavy with vetiver after the opening.

Edit:
    "under-the-radar vetiver-centered frags that are currently available to buy (retailers or ebay). Please no discontinued/historical fragrances."

Oh... whoops!

Then again a lot of these aren't under the radar.

Edit 2: Wait. Sycomore isn't cheap either. Haha
    Last edited by ILikePeeps; 25th August 2019 at 02:09 AM.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: Reflection Man by Amouage

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by maksidrom View Post
    OK since anything that may be available on ebay is in play now, here's three more:
    Lanvin Vetyver
    Les Notes de Lanvin Vetyver Blanc
    Azzaro Pure Vetiver
    Wait ...wait...wait.... I asked for:

vetivers currently available to buy in retail or easy to find on ebay (without spending ridiculous amounts).
    Since the 3 you listed are still decently priced on ebay (let's say less than twice the original price), they fit in the mold! Thanks for your contribution!

Dependent

+1 for Miller Harris Vetiver Insolent
    Rest everything you already mentioned.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    ------------------------------------------------
    For what its worth!

Freed from BN Institution

I would have to Elie Saab Vetiver, it's definitely underrated compared to other notable vetiver choices but it has picked up some attention recently.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: No. 19 by Chanel

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dandydude View Post
    Get Formidable Man by Andre Putman
    This is one of the absolute best. A Stunner

It's discontinued, and I could only spot a single bottle selling on ebay for a resonable premium compared to the original price tag. Soon, it won't be eligible anymore to be on this list given the availability criteria, but as of today, it is still, thus I'll add to the list.

Thank you for your help!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Surprisingly.. Roja Dove Elysium Parfum Pour Homme - it was so heavy with vetiver after the opening.

Edit:
    "under-the-radar vetiver-centered frags that are currently available to buy (retailers or ebay). Please no discontinued/historical fragrances."

Oh... whoops!

Then again a lot of these aren't under the radar.

Edit 2: Wait. Sycomore isn't cheap either. Haha
    True! I agree, that vetiver is a dominant note in Elysium (but the regular version, not the parfum). Added to the list!

No indeed, a lot of them are very well-known vetivers: my goal is to do a comprehensive list, but I initially cleared the most famous ones (in order to avoid having Guerlain Vetiver and TF Grey Vetiver cited in 192,246 posts) and asked for help for the ones I couldn't think about.
    And I agree that Sycomore isn't cheap, but this list doesn't factor in the price point, as far as it's close to its original retail price.

Thank you for your help, I appreciate!
    Last edited by Andy the frenchy; 26th August 2019 at 05:37 PM. Reason: typo

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I would have to Elie Saab Vetiver, it's definitely underrated compared to other notable vetiver choices but it has picked up some attention recently.
    No need to tell me, it's one of my favourites!
    Thanks!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by staticx View Post
    +1 for Miller Harris Vetiver Insolent
    Rest everything you already mentioned.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    This one seems to be a star... will buy soon!
    Thanks

I enjoy quite a few vetivers, but these are a couple niche under-the-radar that are favorites:

Black Vetiver from Phaedon - I do love this one, it's a vetiver for spring and summer...peppery lemon against a green vetiver. Very bright and energizing.
    Vetyver Bucolique by Mad et Len - a very dry vetiver, slightly earthy with warm spices

Both are in the mid-priced range, too. Not bad at all.
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com
    Currently wearing: Chergui by Serge Lutens

Blog Entries

Chopard Noble Vetiver is super good, and insanely underrated. It's quite hard to find now, and been on my wish list for a while. Not sure if it's worth the prices people want for it.

Also didn't see Kenzo Air or Paul Smith Story mentioned, as well as Atelier Boid Blonds. All 3 of these are centered around vetiver, each in their own unique way, with Story being the more traditional citrus/vetiver, reminiscent of Grey Vetiver. Again though, like Chopard, not sure it's worth the high price point. Kenzo Air is a very strange one mixing equal parts licorice and vetiver, it's sort of off putting tbh. Bois Blonds may not be know for their vetiver, but as one of Atelier's longer lasting fragrances, it has an on going vetiver dry down.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler

Blog Entries

I also didn't see Viaggo d'Africa listed, and Franck Oliver has Sunrise Vetiver, though I never tried it., and David Beckham Instinct.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler

I'm surprised that Cowboy Grass by D.S. & Durga hasn't been mentioned yet.
    It is a beautiful vetiver that is earthy, rooty, and bitter, yet made balanced by a light and herbal side.
    I love Cowboy Grass because it is one of the very few fragrances that so masterfully conjour a vivid atmosphere but yet is completely wearable.
    A truly underrated vetiver masterpiece and all-around amazing fragrance in my opinion.
    Scent is an exercise in patience and imagination.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    I enjoy quite a few vetivers, but these are a couple niche under-the-radar that are favorites:

Black Vetiver from Phaedon - I do love this one, it's a vetiver for spring and summer...peppery lemon against a green vetiver. Very bright and energizing.
    Vetyver Bucolique by Mad et Len - a very dry vetiver, slightly earthy with warm spices

Both are in the mid-priced range, too. Not bad at all.
    Thank you, list updated!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Chopard Noble Vetiver is super good, and insanely underrated. It's quite hard to find now, and been on my wish list for a while. Not sure if it's worth the prices people want for it.

Also didn't see Kenzo Air or Paul Smith Story mentioned, as well as Atelier Boid Blonds. All 3 of these are centered around vetiver, each in their own unique way, with Story being the more traditional citrus/vetiver, reminiscent of Grey Vetiver. Again though, like Chopard, not sure it's worth the high price point. Kenzo Air is a very strange one mixing equal parts licorice and vetiver, it's sort of off putting tbh. Bois Blonds may not be know for their vetiver, but as one of Atelier's longer lasting fragrances, it has an on going vetiver dry down.

Chopard's is already listed, and can still be found at reasonable prices on ebay (~$50 for 50ml)
    I added AC Bois Blonds to the list.

For this list, I decided to include only fragrance that are currently available in retail or ebay for a price close to its original retail price. Kenzo Air is already in the list, but honestly, after thinking at it, I may take it out since it's discontinued and it retails for twice its original price on ebay. Same for Paul Smith's, that i decided not to include, given its current shamefully high ebay price tag.

Thank you for your help, it's highly appreciated!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast