Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Vetiver fragrances inventory: under-the-radar

Being a huge vetiver fan, I am starting a comprehensive thread to inventory and discuss under-the-radar vetiver-centered frags that are currently available to buy (retailers or ebay). Please no discontinued/historical fragrances. In order to avoid endless discussion on the usual suspects, I'll clear them immediately, so we can focus on the more "stealth" frags. let's go:

- Guerlain Vetiver - dark green with tobacco (my first vetiver, and still my favourite)
    - Guerlain Vetiver Extreme - dark green with incense
    - Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee - fresh light green
    - Lalique Encre Noire - Earthy black, black, and black
    - Lalique Encre Noire a' l'Extreme - Grey/brown, very similar to Chanel Sycomore
    - Lalique Encre Noire Sport - Fresh black with a drop of white, with a pleasant subtle lavender twist
    - Carven Le Vetiver (white bottle with grey woody cap) - light green with florals , quite complex and a little old school. I love.
    - Carven Vetiver (currently sold green bottle) - one of the few I hate. nose irritating sharp citrus. Unbalanced.
    - Dunhill Icon - more a neroli-centered fragrance, but in which the vetiver is quite strong supporting note in the heart/base
    - Franck Olivier Black Touch - Dracula's powdery (very) synthetic take on Encre Noire + Terre d'Hermes
    - Givenchy Vetyver - classy mid-tone green/grey, hazelnut feeling. Drydown similar to Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire.
    - Mugler Cologne - soapy light green (actually, does not contain vetiver oil at all, but the floral/musky accord tricks the nose in an impression of vetiver leaf, and the results is very similar to Creed Original Vetiver)
    - ELdO Fat Electrician - sweet brown with a hint of dark green (this one is 80% sweet creamy chestnuts supported by some vetiver, not the opposite)
    - L'Artisan Parfumeur Timbuktu - smoky grey/green
    - Hermes Terre d'Hermes - orange/green
    - Hermes Terre d'Hermes Eau Intense Vetiver - metallic green/grey
    - Hermes Terre d'Hermes Parfum - asphalt/orange/hint of green (more formal and better projecting version of the original)
    - Dior Eau Sauvage - you know it, no need to talk about it
    - Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum - great fragrance, the 2012 version's opening being a little more full bodied than the 2017's, but the drydowns are identical
    - Dior Eau Sauvage Cologne - an adapted version of the original, fitting more the current tastes, with improved performance
    - Tom Ford Grey Vetiver EDP - a sharper Guerlain Vetiver. A little overpriced imo
    - Tom Ford Grey Vetiver EDT - very similar to the previous one, thinner and less interesting though. Discontinued.
    - Hermes Bel-Ami Vetiver - sharp green opening, brown red drydown
    - Creed Original Vetiver - light airy green in the sun. Creed uses all parts of the plant (both roots and leaves), but it's often considered a reference in the "vetiver leaf" category, that only a few houses did. Mugler Cologne is similar to this one, in "lower definition".
    - Roja Dove Vetiver Extrait - pure perfection, but overpriced
    - F.Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire - hay-ish, yellow/brown, not identical to, but similar to Etro Vetiver, Givenchy Vetiver and even shares some similarities with Guerlain Vetiver Extreme. Very overhyped and overpriced imo.
    - Chanel Sycomore - the top is 80% Encre Noire Sport, the heart is a 95% Encre Noire a' l'Extreme, the base is 80% Encre Noire a' l'Extreme +20% Lutens Vetiver Oriental.
    - Dior Vetiver - a great one. Shares some vibes with the cheaper Elie Saab Vetiver n.6. In that high price range, I'd opt for Sycomore tbh.

Since we're done with those, let's start the interesting part. I'll throw a few here that are much less discussed in forums, and that I own or that I previously tested: (feel free to rediscuss them later)

- Tiziana Terenzi Ursa - a leather-centered fragrance, that has a strong vetiver support in the base
    - Gucci Guilty Absolute - very similar to the previous one
    - By Kilian Dark Lord - very similar to the 2 previous ones
    - Elie Saab Essence n.6 Vetiver - classy, perfectly tailored green, slightly powdery
    - Etro Vetiver - earthy green/brown, with a roasted chestnut note, but no creamy sweetness like ELdO Fat Electrician
    - Montale Red Vetyver - metallic green/black, similar to TdH Eau Intense Vetiver
    - Serge Lutens Vetiver Oriental - beautiful sparkling green/orange with a sweet background (not unlike Timbuktu)
    - D&G Velvet Vetiver - light purple. Very luxurious feeling, but a sweet fig is the main player here, vetiver is just a supporting note
    - Monsillage Pays Dogon - superb light green with orange/pink background, a masterpiece
    - E.Zegna Haitian Vetiver - It's the high-quality version of Guerlain's Vetiver, with a carrot seed twist
    - Le Labo Vetiver 46 - yellowish/brown, an hay-ish vetiver. A masterpiece, but very pricey
    - CdG 2 Man - very similar to the previous one and cheaper... what else?
    - CdG Vettiveru 2 - very nice earthy vetiver kept fresh by citrus. Below average performance (it's and EDC), but honestly priced
    - James Heeley Vetiver Veritas - the reference in the earthy/rooty vetivers dept imo, and the purest vetiver around
    - Diptyque Vetiveryo EDP - a beautiful earthy-rooty vetiver, a little smoother than Heeley's, and an added subtle rose that fits very well imo
    - Diptyque Vetiveryo EDT - not as interesting as the EDP, and all Diptyque's EDTs suffer of performance issues
    - Jovoy Private Label - the king, beautifully supported by patchouli. Bold, powerful, masterful. My love.
    - Jovoy Incident Diplomatique - a great great one too. My preference goes to the previous one though.
    - Robert Piguet Bois Bleu - similar to Guerlain's, with a noticeable supporting violet that gives a great twist. A very green/blue impression, the name is spot on!
    - Lush Smuggler's Soul - earthy vetiver with a nice sandalwood twist
    - Lush Breathe of God - fruity vetiver, it's a mix of two oils previously released by the house (Inhale and Exhale)
    - Verduu Matthew Miller - wow. My runner-up to Jovoy Private Label. A great earthy soily vetiver
    - Mark Buxton Emotional Drop (fka Emotional Rescue) - the perfect version of Diptyque Vetiveryo, with an iris twist. Masterful!
    - Mark Buxton Devil in Disguise - really great, smoother than the previous one, with a beautiful rhubarb support.
    - Aedes de Venustas (original) - the alter ego to the previous one: rhubarb with vetiver support. Very nice.
    - Escentric Molecules Escentric 03 - great fresh gingery vetiver fragrance. Sparkling. On my to-buy list
    - Escentric Molecules Molecule 03 - pure (or nearly pure) vetiveryl acetate. very bitter. To be layered with the previous one to increase the body, but not so great by itself.
    - Escentric Molecules Kinski - a rounder, greener and more complex version of Escentric 03, with rose, blackcurrant and castoreum support
    - Lubin Le Vetiver - with support of frankincense. It has not left me a lifelong memory
    - Andy Tauer Vetiver Dance - not sure what to think of that one. Will have to try it again.
    - Vilhelm Smoke Show - very similar to AC Emeraude Agar, with a noticeable vetiver/incense twist in the base. Not really vetiver centered thouh.
    - Lorenzo Villoresi Theseus - beautiful grassy vetiver with a twist. on my to-buy list
    - Armani Prive Vetiver d'Hiver (fka Vetiver Babylone) - nice clean take on vetiver, but very soft and overpriced for what it is
    - LT Piver Vetiver - thin and old school. Good in that category
    - Fragonard Vetiver - same as the previous one
    - TdC Sel de Vetiver - did not wow me. Will have to retry this one
    - Prada Infusion de Vetiver - very light and soapy. Smells of clean
    - Yves Rocher Cuir Vetiver - low performance, and pretty common
    - Atelier Cologne Vetiver Fatal - light vetiver with fruit support, quite feminine
    - Byredo Bal d'Afrique - similar to the the previous one
    - Hermes Vetiver Tonka - nice take on vetiver, with tonka support and a hint of booze also.
    - Eight&Bob Nuit de Megeve - similar to the previous one, but low performance
    - De Nicolai Vetyver - very clean on vetiver. Too clean maybe? Not sure, but overpriced for sure.
    - Comptoir Sud Pacifique Vetyver Haiti EDP - a very nice earthy vetiver surprise that I may put my hands on when it gets discounted
    - Mizensir Mythique Vetyver - I had high expectations for Morillas' line. Disappointed.
    - Roger & Gallet L'Homme Vetyver - thin orange with supporting vetiver, old-schoolish
    - Montale Vetiver Patchouli: tried it but no clear memories... will retry
    - Paul Emilien Vetiver Indien: nice citrusy dominant vetiver. Clean and subtle.
    - Murdock Vetiver - green mossy vetiver with patchouli support. Not groundbreaking, but still, very nice.
    - L'Artisan Parfumeur Dzongkha - meditative incense/vetiver masterpiece
    - Lalique Hommage a l'Homme Voyageur - top of bergamot, then heart of patch/cardamom/vanilla trio with stong vetiver support, and then a vetiver/payrus duo takes the lead in the base. Great value, but misses the masterpiece grade just by an inch.

Some others I heard about, but never tried. I'd love to hear some feedback (please add a descriptive line when commenting on them, or I'll update based on your comments):

- Ormonde Jayne Zizan
    - Miller Harris Vetiver Insolent - vegetal with balsamic support
    - Miller Harris Fleurs de Sel - aromatic and salty
    - Karl Lagerfeld Bois de Vetiver
    - Pascal Morabito Bois & Vetiver
    - Mona Di Orio Vetyver - vetiver with noticeable nutmeg, ginger, and cedar
    - Bruno Fazzolari Lampblack - clean, dry smoke, not really vetiver-centered
    - Bruno Fazzolari Vetiverissimo - straightforward high quality vetiver, middle of the road between freshness and darkness
    - Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver - Dark rooty vetiver, with a minimal hint of smoke; quite woody. A little one-dimensional
    - Bois 1920 Vetiver Ambrato
    - Czech & Speake Vetiver Vert - bright green vetiver with an added note of bay leaf, but overpriced beacuse of poor performance
    - Cartier Vetiver Bleu - fresh vetiver, shares similarities with Declaration EDT
    - Creed Vetiver Geranium
    - Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver Hombre
    - Annick Goutal Cologne Vetiver (not the older Vetiver): clean, light, insubstantial
    - L'Occitane Eau de Vetyver - average one. Cheap, but you get what you pay for
    - Tauerville Vetiver & petitgrain Splash
    - Jo Malone Vetyver
    - Comptoir Sud Pacifique Vetyver Haiti EDT (older version still available on ebay, not the new EDP)
    - Elizabeth W Vetiver
    - Carolina Herrera Vetiver Paradise
    - Chopard Vetiver D'Haiti au The Vert
    - Chopard Magnolia au Vetiver d'Haiti
    - Chopard Noble Vetiver
    - Chopard Noble Cedar - the vetiver is strong in this one, despite its name
    - West Third Brand Old Bourbon
    - West Third Brand Vetiver X
    - West Third Brand Vert Vetiver
    - Franck Boclet Vetiver
    - Le Galion Vetyver
    - Oriza L. Legrand Vetiver Royal Bourbon - 80% dark 20% light vetiver, rooty, woodsy, but with flourishes and nuances, similar to Villoresi Vetiver and MPG Route du Vetiver
    - Ex Nihilo Vetiver Moloko
    - Pierre Guillaume Vetiver Matale
    - Bruno Acampora Vert Vetiver (oil) - great sharp, bitter, green, and very refreshing vetiver
    - Art of Shaving Vetiver Citron - a great one according to some
    - Clean White Vetiver - surprisingly "unclean" and earthy
    - Banana Republic Linen Vetiver - very crisp and fresh, a comfortable vetiver
    - Gap The Natural - grassy juicy vetiver
    - Dsquared2 He Wood Cologne - more vetiver than wood
    - Derek Lam 10 Crosby Rain Day - opening is neroli, but drydown is a very muggy damp vetiver
    - Oliver & Co. Vetiverus - mysterious dark, spicy (clove) and bitter (orange) vetiver
    - Floraiku My Love has color of Night - the neutral of neutral. Some describe it has a reference scent.
    - Masque Milano Hemingway - metallic vetiver with rhubarb, reminding of gunpowder, cold leather base
    - Vero Kern Onda EdP - apparently very complex
    - MPG Route du Vetiver
    - MPG Racine - nice fresh citric vetiver
    - Odin 08 Seylon
    - Malizia Uomo Vetyver - Green/woody
    - Mr Fine Fresh Vetiver (aftershave) - some vibes of TF Grey Vetiver
    - Sammarco Vitrum - deep, herbal, peppery and smoky, like if pure vetiver was burning
    - Aedes de Venustas Grenadille d'Afrique
    - Cartier Declaration Essence
    - Kenzo Air - licorice and vetiver
    - L'Artisan Parfumeur L'Eau du Caporal
    - Ferrari Vetiver Essence
    - Mercedes-Benz Silver
    - Bentley Wild Vetiver
    - Bentley Infinite
    - Bentley Infinite Intense
    - Bentley Infinite Rush
    - Essential Parfums Mon Vetiver
    - Lush Stayin' Alive - smoke, vetiver and frankincense over a non-sweet vanilla base
    - Rasasi Woody for Men - vetiver and cedar
    - Ensar Oud Khus d'Afrique (oil) - South African vetiver oil similar to Terre d'Hermes.
    - Ensar Oud Hindi Classique (oil) - Indian vetiver oil with fresh cut, deep green leafy notes, sharing similarities with Malle VE
    - Ensar Oud Vetiver El Salvador (oil)
    - Ensar Oud Khus Malagasy (oil)
    - Rising Phoenix Perfumery Green Velvet - Kafir lime with vetiver support
    - Lubin Itasca
    - Parle-Moi de Parfum Woody Perfecto
    - Frederic Malle French Lover (fka Bois d'Orage)
    - Amouage Dia Man
    - Helan Vetiver & Rum
    - Bvlgari Man
    - Ramon Monegal - Agar Musk
    - Atelier des Ors Cuir Sacre'
    - Jil Sander Strictly
    - Jil Sander Strictly Night
    - Jil Sander Strictly Fresh
    - Commodity Vetiver
    - Dior Fahrenheit 32 - vanilla and vetiver
    - Profumum Roma Fumidus - peaty scotch, then vetiver.
    - Royall Lyme Bermuda Vetiver - all purpose lotion, behaves like an edc, refreshing splash, maybe a little citrus/wood too but it's pretty much just vetiver.
    - Royall Lyme Bermuda Vetiver Noir
    - Pierre Guillaume Monsieur
    - Phaedon Lentisque
    - Sultan Pasha Vetiver Blanc - slightly floral, light green opening, with a nice salty/minty ambergris/vetiver dry down. Humid/rain vibes. Clean.
    - Nishane Sultan Vetiver
    - Lush Inhale (oil)
    - Lush Exhale (oil)
    - Lush Dear John
    - Lanvin Vetyver
    - Lanvin Vetyver Blanc
    - Azzaro Pure Vetiver
    - Andree Putman Formidable Man
    - Tesori d'Oriente Sandalo del Kashmir & Vetiver
    - Roja Elysium
    - Atelier Cologne Bois Blond
    - David Beckham Instinct
    - Franck Olivier Sunrise Vetiver
    - DS & Durga Cowboy Grass - earthy, rooty, and bitter, balanced by a light and herbal side
    - Phaedon Black Vetiver
    - Mad et Len Vetyver Bucolique
    - Mazzolari Vetiver
    - Dana Vetiver
    - Byblos September Morn
    - Olfactive Studio Ombre Indigo
    - Borsalino Cologne Intense
    - Etro Shaal Nur
    - Daniel Josier Vetiver
    - Laboratorio Olfattivo Vetyverso - vetiver with strong patchouli

Any I haven't listed?
    Please remind that I am not looking for the "best vetiver", but to make an inventory - as of August 2019- of vetivers currently available to buy in retail or easy to find on ebay (without spending ridiculous amounts). Feel free to express your opinions, but please focus on the descriptive part, and possibly compare them to other ones.

Thank you in advance! 1...2...3...gooo!

PS: special thank you to moon-fish's for his very useful thread HERE and to Mythrol for his reference thread on vetiver HERE, which helped me a lot choose my vetiver frags, and tailor this list.
    Last edited by Andy the frenchy; 5th September 2019 at 07:10 PM. Reason: list updated

Default Re: Vetiver fragrances inventory: under-the-radar

My favorite take on vetiver is

T H I R D
    W E S T
    B R A N D

O L D
    B O U R B O N
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Hommage à L'Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men (vintage), Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I don't see Vetiver D'Haiti Du The Vert by Chopard in the list
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Didn't see the following either in the list unless I missed them:

Franck Boclet Vetiver
    Montale Vetiver Patchouli
    Vetiver Indien by Paul Emilien
    Vetyver by Le Galion
    Vetiver Royal Bourbon by Oriza L. Legrand
    Vetiver Moloko by Ex Nihilo
    Vetiver Matale by Pierre Guillaume
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

It’s worth noting that Vettiveru has been reformulated and is now Vettiveru2: and EdT which is apparently a bit darker and heavier.

i have to disagree on Infusion de Vetiver, but one has to like that clean style of the infusion range.

Youve also got 2 Man and Vetiver 46 backwards. 2 Man is the masterpiece and Vetiver 46 is the pale imitation.

I think 2 Man came first and the the perfumer did the similar Vetiver 46 for Le Labo, which feels like one of the formulas on the way to developing 2 Man - it’s very similar but much simpler with far less progression and complexity. The only advantage of the Le Labo is that its a bit stronger.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Explorer by Montblanc

Miller Harris Vetiver Insolent is incredible. It's great for all occasions, and all sorts of weather, be it hot or cold, dry or humid. The scent itself is a veriver that leans to the vegetal rather than the dry spectrum. I don't get much cardamon from it (I am familiar with the scent because I cook with it), but there is a slightly chewy, balsamic undercurrent to it.

Other than that, one you haven't got on list is Bruno Acampora's Vert Vetiver. It is quite a stunner, though I only sampled the oil a couple of times. I wish someone could tell me how it compares to the EdP / Extrait. The oil is sharp, bitter, green, and very refreshing. O must wear it again soon to remind myself of the nuances. Nevertheless, it's a fantastic scent.

Oh, and Cartier's Vetiver Bleu is nice, if not really groundbreaker. It's a nice fresh take on vetiver in a cologne style format, with a certain Cartier signature running thorough it (maybe I'm mad, but I get some parallels with Declaration EdT).

Thanks for the list! I like vetiver a lot, so this is very informative for me.

Annick Goutal Cologne vetiver: clean, light, insubstantial
    Fazzolari Lampblack: not thinking vetiver here. It's clean, dry smoke (ie cypriol)
    Lubin Vetiver: vetiver with a bit of frankincense

cacio

Art of Shaving Vetiver Citron - my current favourite
    Clean White Vetiver - surprisingly "unclean" and earthy
    Banana Republic Linen Vetiver - very crisp and fresh, a comfortable vetiver
    Gap The Natural - grassy juicy vetiver
    Dsquared2 He Wood Cologne - I get more vetiver than wood
    Derek Lam 10 Crosby Rain Day - opening is neroli, but drydown is a very muggy damp vetiver

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    My favorite take on vetiver is

T H I R D
    W E S T
    B R A N D

O L D
    B O U R B O N
    Thanks Brooks, I saw you cited it in the past, will test asap!

Basenotes Plus

Default Vetiver fragrances inventory: under-the-radar

Have you tried this, Andy?

It’s mysterious dark, spicy (clove) and bitter (orange) vetiver. Let me know if you need a sample.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I don't see Vetiver D'Haiti Du The Vert by Chopard in the list
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Didn't see the following either in the list unless I missed them:

Franck Boclet Vetiver
    Montale Vetiver Patchouli
    Vetiver Indien by Paul Emilien
    Vetyver by Le Galion
    Vetiver Royal Bourbon by Oriza L. Legrand
    Vetiver Moloko by Ex Nihilo
    Vetiver Matale by Pierre Guillaume

Thanks Hednic, List updated! Actually I tested Paul Emilien's and Montale's recently... I could I forget to list those?

Any thoughts on the PG and the Oriza Legrand? Worth buying after owning already 30 vetiver frags in your opinion?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    It’s worth noting that Vettiveru has been reformulated and is now Vettiveru2: and EdT which is apparently a bit darker and heavier.

i have to disagree on Infusion de Vetiver, but one has to like that clean style of the infusion range.

Youve also got 2 Man and Vetiver 46 backwards. 2 Man is the masterpiece and Vetiver 46 is the pale imitation.

I think 2 Man came first and the the perfumer did the similar Vetiver 46 for Le Labo, which feels like one of the formulas on the way to developing 2 Man - it’s very similar but much simpler with far less progression and complexity. The only advantage of the Le Labo is that its a bit stronger.
    Thanks!

Vettiveru typo modified, indeed it's the "2" version I tried and listed here.
    I may agree with you for the CdG 2 Man vs LLV46. That said, while the Prada Infusion is nice, it's a little overpriced given the EDC performance, just my humble opinion.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    Miller Harris Vetiver Insolent is incredible. It's great for all occasions, and all sorts of weather, be it hot or cold, dry or humid. The scent itself is a veriver that leans to the vegetal rather than the dry spectrum. I don't get much cardamon from it (I am familiar with the scent because I cook with it), but there is a slightly chewy, balsamic undercurrent to it.

Other than that, one you haven't got on list is Bruno Acampora's Vert Vetiver. It is quite a stunner, though I only sampled the oil a couple of times. I wish someone could tell me how it compares to the EdP / Extrait. The oil is sharp, bitter, green, and very refreshing. O must wear it again soon to remind myself of the nuances. Nevertheless, it's a fantastic scent.

Oh, and Cartier's Vetiver Bleu is nice, if not really groundbreaker. It's a nice fresh take on vetiver in a cologne style format, with a certain Cartier signature running thorough it (maybe I'm mad, but I get some parallels with Declaration EdT).
    Thanks Nastka! List updated with your comments.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post

Fazzolari Lampblack: not thinking vetiver here. It's clean, dry smoke (ie cypriol)

cacio
    Thanks Cacio! I added your notes on the list.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post

cacio
    Lampblack is an excellent Vetiver

Super Member the blood on 530 27's Avatar

My Love has color of Night by Floraiku: the neutral of neutral. For me this is a reference scent.

Hemingway by Masque Milano: a metallic vetiver with rhubarb, something remind me of gunpowder, cold leather base. When Hemingway bit the metal barrel of shotgun, I wonder if this is what he smelt right after he pulled the trigger.

Onda EdP by Vero Kern: don’t know how to describe it.
    The French have a phrase for it. The bastards have a phrase for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    Any thoughts on the PG and the Oriza Legrand? Worth buying after owning already 30 vetiver frags in your opinion?
    Can't speak for others, but for me they were well worth buying.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post

Have you tried this, Andy?

It’s mysterious dark, spicy (clove) and bitter (orange) vetiver. Let me know if you need a sample.

List updated!

I don't know that one, and yes, I'd love a sample! I already owe you, so let's talk by message, so you can tell me what I can send you. Thank you so much!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    Lampblack is an excellent Vetiver
    It's noted, on my to test list!

Profumo di Firenze 1954 Terrarossa

So under the radar its unobtainium.
    A floral vetiver, beautiful. Wearing it today actually.
    YouTube reviews with integrity: My "FragReviews" Channel
    Favorite House: Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by the blood on 530 27 View Post
    My Love has color of Night by Floraiku: the neutral of neutral. For me this is a reference scent.

Hemingway by Masque Milano: a metallic vetiver with rhubarb, something remind me of gunpowder, cold leather base. When Hemingway bit the metal barrel of shotgun, I wonder if this is what he smelt right after he pulled the trigger.

Onda EdP by Vero Kern: don’t know how to describe it.
    Thank you for your contribution, list updated!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    Profumo di Firenze 1954 Terrarossa

So under the radar its unobtainium.
    A floral vetiver, beautiful. Wearing it today actually.
    I'd rather limit the list to currently sold/available fragrances. That said, thank you for this info, I will definitely try to get my hands on a small sample!

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

My thoughts on these -

Bruno Fazzolari Lampblack - more of smoke, lots of cypriol, less vetiver; vetiver more in the dry down. Novel, but does it smell good? I think it does, but I wouldn't say it smells great. Quite a memorable accord.
    Bruno Fazzolari Vetiverissimo - straightforward high quality vetiver, middle of the road between freshness and darkness. Smells good. Vetiver Extraordinaire is slightly fresher. I have to say it's better quality than the current Guerlain. Doesn't smell weird/indie/artisanal, more like a 'mainstream niche', if that makes sense. Closest ballpark in terms of scent profile is Diptyque Vetyverio EdP minus the rose/florals.
    Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver - Dark rooty vetiver, with a minimal hint of smoke; quite woody. I understand that it could be an 'acquired taste' but honestly it often feels flat and one-dimensional.
    Czech & Speake Vetiver Vert - Bright green vetiver with an added note of bay which distinguishes it from so many other vetivers. One has to like bay (I do). Somewhat overpriced, largely because of price/concentration issues. Would love a more concentrated/higher quality version of this.
    L'Occitane Eau de Vetyver - Middle of the road vetiver, a bit staid. Good, but not worth more than L'Occitane's retail price. I find Guerlain very weak, but otherwise Guerlain is much better in terms of scent profile.
    Oriza L. Legrand Vetiver Royal Bourbon - 80% dark 20% light vetiver, rooty, woodsy, but with flourishes and nuances. As dark as Sycomore EdT, rootier, a bit lighter/less dense than Villoresi. 1% of the time I get a bit of a mothball note in the mid phases, but otherwise smells good to great from start to finish. Very good sillage and duration (usually vetiver fragrances don't last on me). It's different from Sycomore; it's closer to Villoresi, Route du Vetiver etc and surely the best in that style among the ones I've tried.

Note that I love vetiver, but I'm trying to reduce. As for 'straightforward' vetivers, I've settled on Sycomore EdT and a bottle of Vetiver Extraordinaire that has aged beautifully. I've come close to blind-buying Elie Saab a few times, but haven't. Don't think I will.

P.S. Racine is a beautiful nice fresh citric vetiver.
    Summer Rotation
    Acqua di Gio Profumo
    Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche
    Sel Marin
    Castile
    Mugler Cologne
    Allure Homme Sport Cologne

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

+1 for Miller Harris Vetiver Insolent, I tried this 2 weeks ago and was stunned. It's available on fragrancex.
    Currently wearing: Dia Man by Amouage

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    My thoughts on these -

Bruno Fazzolari Lampblack - more of smoke, lots of cypriol, less vetiver; vetiver more in the dry down. Novel, but does it smell good? I think it does, but I wouldn't say it smells great. Quite a memorable accord.
    Bruno Fazzolari Vetiverissimo - straightforward high quality vetiver, middle of the road between freshness and darkness. Smells good. Vetiver Extraordinaire is slightly fresher. I have to say it's better quality than the current Guerlain. Doesn't smell weird/indie/artisanal, more like a 'mainstream niche', if that makes sense. Closest ballpark in terms of scent profile is Diptyque Vetyverio EdP minus the rose/florals.
    Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver - Dark rooty vetiver, with a minimal hint of smoke; quite woody. I understand that it could be an 'acquired taste' but honestly it often feels flat and one-dimensional.
    Czech & Speake Vetiver Vert - Bright green vetiver with an added note of bay which distinguishes it from so many other vetivers. One has to like bay (I do). Somewhat overpriced, largely because of price/concentration issues. Would love a more concentrated/higher quality version of this.
    L'Occitane Eau de Vetyver - Middle of the road vetiver, a bit staid. Good, but not worth more than L'Occitane's retail price. I find Guerlain very weak, but otherwise Guerlain is much better in terms of scent profile.
    Oriza L. Legrand Vetiver Royal Bourbon - 80% dark 20% light vetiver, rooty, woodsy, but with flourishes and nuances. As dark as Sycomore EdT, rootier, a bit lighter/less dense than Villoresi. 1% of the time I get a bit of a mothball note in the mid phases, but otherwise smells good to great from start to finish. Very good sillage and duration (usually vetiver fragrances don't last on me). It's different from Sycomore; it's closer to Villoresi, Route du Vetiver etc and surely the best in that style among the ones I've tried.

Note that I love vetiver, but I'm trying to reduce. As for 'straightforward' vetivers, I've settled on Sycomore EdT and a bottle of Vetiver Extraordinaire that has aged beautifully. I've come close to blind-buying Elie Saab a few times, but haven't. Don't think I will.

P.S. Racine is a beautiful nice fresh citric vetiver.
    List edited with your notes, thank you!

As for Elie Saab Vetiver n.6, I strongly recommend it. Not the best performer, but the scent is very bright, uplifting, and given the current discounters prices, it's low risk (~$60/100ml, and you can even find 5ml mini bottles on FragNet for just $10). Some may say I'm insane, but to my nose, it shares strong similarities with the heart and base of Dior Vetiver. (A Dior SA in Paris confessed that the image of Demachy being the exclusive in-house perfumer for Dior is mostly for marketing, but that Kurkdjian and Sheldrake are often solicited... and Elie Saab's Essence line is blended by Kurkdjian... if you know what I mean...)

Edit: I don;t want to be misleading. Actually, Saab's vetiver has a powdery drydown, that Dior's does not have, and Dior's is slightly darker, leaning masculine, while Saab is one of the few unisex vetiver-forward frags. I should say that they share some vibes, more than similarities. Still, I confirm Saab's is a great grassy uplifiting vetiver, one of the few fragrances I may think of getting a back-up bottle. It's my SOTD
    Last edited by Andy the frenchy; 23rd August 2019 at 02:43 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mixerscent View Post
    +1 for Miller Harris Vetiver Insolent, I tried this 2 weeks ago and was stunned. It's available on fragrancex.
    It's on my to-buy blind list since a long time. Will probably pull the trigger soon, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    It's on my to-buy blind list since a long time. Will probably pull the trigger soon, thanks!
    Nice sotd with Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisée, I'm venturing slowly into designer.

For Elie Saab Vetiver, I've found it's a crisp vetiver for autumn, with good longevity in cooler weather. It doesn't hold up in warm weather.
    Currently wearing: Dia Man by Amouage

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mixerscent View Post
    Nice sotd with Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisée, I'm venturing slowly into designer.

For Elie Saab Vetiver, I've found it's a crisp vetiver for autumn, with good longevity in cooler weather. It doesn't hold up in warm weather.
    Thanks!

True that Saab's Vetiver performs better and lasts longer in mid-seasons, compared to full Summer heat.

Basenotes Plus

This list has my head spinning. I consider myself a vetiver fan, but now I despair of ever trying them all.

Also, a +1 to Nastka's mention of Vert by Bruno Acampora. A masterful scent. (I only know the oil version.)
    Before the leaves fall, an all-green September:
    Aromatics Elixir / Azuree / Corsica Furiosa / Cristalle / Eau du Sud / Eau Sauvage / Iskander / Ivoire, 1980 / Ivoire, 2012 / Le Canotier / Ninfeo Mio / No. 19 / Prince de Galles Sport / Route de Vetiver / Safari / Silences / Sud Est / Tiare / Vent Vert / Vetiver de Guerlain / Vetiverus / Vert de Acampora

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    This list has my head spinning. I consider myself a vetiver fan, but now I despair of ever trying them all.
    I feel your pain, same here.