Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Aramis Havana , a gentlemans collection just arrived

IMG_20190822_184553.jpg
    I be quite honest I blind bought this , I bought Aramis Tabacoo Reserve Aramis for men and now Aramis Havana, and I'm very impressed by the dry down, it's not sweet at all, the Tabacoo note is in there with a bit of spicness , but it's just a masculine frag..I'm very glad I bought , I'm going down the line buying all of the collection I'm thinking Aramis JHL or Devin next .

Default Re: Aramis Havana , a gentlemans collection just arrived

This is an overused word, but Aramis Havana is a masterpiece.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Hommage à L'Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men (vintage), Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    This is an overused word, but Aramis Havana is a masterpiece.
    I think it's better then TABACOO Reserve ..so let's how's the longtivy is on this one , I hope good aswell the projection

Blog Entries

I’ve bought and sold Havana twice now and it wasn’t quite what I was looking for. Yes it was nice to experience an authentic tobacco note without the typically sweet surroundings. But it became less appealing to me in the drydown, a bit unfriendly. The base is a tired, “spent” version of the mid. I also found it especially hard to enjoy Havana after I wore Miller Harris’ Feuilles de Tabac. That one hangs around in the same space as Havana and is the true masterpiece, bringing forward all the dry, leafy, spicy aspects of tobacco in the first few hours and then settling on a gentle, thoroughly pleasant base that is kind of beyond words. And it’s only a touch pricier than Havana.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drjones152 View Post
    IMG_20190822_184553.jpg
    I be quite honest I blind bought this , I bought Aramis Tabacoo Reserve Aramis for men and now Aramis Havana, and I'm very impressed by the dry down, it's not sweet at all, the Tabacoo note is in there with a bit of spicness , but it's just a masculine frag..I'm very glad I bought , I'm going down the line buying all of the collection I'm thinking Aramis JHL or Devin next .
    Please try Open by Roger & Gallet (1985) if you like Havana. It's very affordable and super underrated. It basically mixes Jacomo de Jacomo (1980) with elements of Havana. Very nice!!

Here's the bottle

IMG_20181226_123847_626.jpg
    oh look, I have a signature

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Congrats and enjoy!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Oh, I find Havana's drydown to be wonderful. The way that Havana transitions from shadowy, mossy greenness to spicy, sweet warmth is delightful.

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Hommage à L'Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men (vintage), Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Please try Open by Roger & Gallet (1985) if you like Havana. It's very affordable and super underrated. It basically mixes Jacomo de Jacomo (1980) with elements of Havana. Very nice!!

Here's the bottle

'

Sounds seriously hairy chested ZC
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

Open — what a great comparison. The original only. The flankers aren’t anywhere near as good.

A fine companion piece: Aramis Tobacco Reserve

Here's the bottle

I must try this, though the reviews I'm finding have me nervous (some mention a cat pee-ish thing going on in there).

Autumn Favorites

I must try this, though the reviews I'm finding have me nervous (some mention a cat pee-ish thing going on in there).
    They said the same for Kouros and I found Kouros very very nice aswell , I well look into Open I'll research on it and see what I think of it, what are the notes and longitvity on it?

I looked into very cheap like it was with Havana, so if I buy Open, what Fragrance does it remind u of?

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I don't get any of that. There are no animalics here to my nose except maybe leather.

I don't get any of that. There are no animalics here to my nose except maybe leather.
    Good to know. I'll add it to The List.

Autumn Favorites

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    It's not like it compounds the two into a double-strength fragrance. My experience of Open is that it hits those "classic masculine" notes without threatening to overpower the wearer (or the wearer's companions). Which, if you're reasonably confident, is preferable to having your fragrance shout at everyone.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

'

It also solves your problem with Havana, since it has a rich smoky base which distinguishes itself from the top and heart. Definitely not as elegant as the Miller Harris, but I don't think it shoots for urban sophisticates so much. Rather, this is for the khaki shorts, sandals, and Hawaiian shirt crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    It's not like it compounds the two into a double-strength fragrance. My experience of Open is that it hits those "classic masculine" notes without threatening to overpower the wearer (or the wearer's companions). Which, if you're reasonably confident, is preferable to having your fragrance shout at everyone.
    Correct, but Open can also be a very "present" fragrance if you're not easy on the trigger! (Also I rather like the black flanker).

Quote Originally Posted by Drjones152 View Post
    I looked into very cheap like it was with Havana, so if I buy Open, what Fragrance does it remind u of?
    Besides Jacomo de Jacomo and Havana? Also reminds me a bit of Eau Cendrée, Gengis Khan, and Montana, but less so.

Basenotes Plus

Open can also be a very "present" fragrance if you're not easy on the trigger!
    Ah, well, I'm not an oversprayer by nature—at least, not yet. One spritz on each inner wrist and elbow, a couple on the neck (optional) and I'm done, unless I'm working with a real under-performer. I might push Open a little harder just to see what happens to its longevity, which was only moderate last time around.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Ah, well, I'm not an oversprayer by nature—at least, not yet. One spritz on each inner wrist and elbow, a couple on the neck (optional) and I'm done, unless I'm working with a real under-performer. I might push Open a little harder just to see what happens to its longevity, which was only moderate last time around.
    Usually I'm 1 to each wrist and 1 to back of neck as well, unless we're talking a weaker scent.

I really need to get some more Aramis in my life.

I blind bought Tobacco Reserve, and it became my favorite tobacco fragrance in my collection, regardless of the price. I’ll be honest, and say that I like it even more than some respectable releases such as Mugler Pure Havane, Mancera Red Tobacco, Burberry London, CK One Shock, Versace Dreamer, D&G The One EDP, etc.

Caligraphy Rose is probably up next for me when it comes to this house though. Unless I run into something at the discounters.

Congrats on your new bottle. I’m glad you’re enjoying it.

Congrats enjoy! It’s a very nice versatile fragrance that is timeless!
    Fragrance is my favorite thing. So much so that if I leave the house and I don't put any on, I'll turn around and go back home.

Congrats! I blind bought it as well and it has been very pleasant
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Everything I've tried from Aramis has been repulsive, and Life was probably the worst fresh fragrance I ever smelled in my life, which says a lot, cause I've smelled around 2,000 fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post
    Caligraphy Rose is probably up next for me when it comes to this house though.
    I don't really care for that one, to be honest. The rose note is the thick, plastic-y kind.

Autumn Favorites

Sound Scents

A masterpiece and one of the finest tobacco-centric perfumes ever created, IMO. As you enjoy Havana, I suggest you seek out Montana Black Edition by the same master perfumer (Edouard Flechier) if you already haven’t, as it takes the already perfected Havana tobacco leaf base in a bit of a different direction with the rest of the composition. It can usually be found dirt cheap on the market, but deserves much better.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    2) Giorgio V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    4) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    5)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    6) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    7) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    7) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    7) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    7) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

I don't really care for that one, to be honest. The rose note is the thick, plastic-y kind.
    Pardon me, but I’ve not smelled a whole lot of fragrances the feature rose as a prominent note, so I am not entirely certain what your statement means.

Are you meaning that it literally smells like plastic mixed with a rose accord? I am aware that some rose fragrances are expensive to produce (probably the ones with natural ingredients), so maybe it’s a synthetic rose note that puts you off?

i haven’t yet smelled CR, so I don’t know what it smells like.

I've never seen HAVANA in the wild....did you guys online buy or get them in-store?
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post
    Pardon me, but I’ve not smelled a whole lot of fragrances the feature rose as a prominent note, so I am not entirely certain what your statement means.

Are you meaning that it literally smells like plastic mixed with a rose accord? I am aware that some rose fragrances are expensive to produce (probably the ones with natural ingredients), so maybe it’s a synthetic rose note that puts you off?

i haven’t yet smelled CR, so I don’t know what it smells like.
    Rose notes can have very different textures because "rose" is less of a clear note than it is an idea perfumers approach from very different angles.

There can be fresh, dewy, natural rose notes (my favorite), jammy, sweet rose notes, and stuff in-between. The rose in Calligraphy is very thick and dense, and it has a plastic-y quality.

I know that the Calligraphy series is greatly esteemed here, but I find it unsatisfying on the whole. For Western designer scents that play with Middle Eastern styles, I recommend Bvlgari Man Black Orient (*not* Man in Black, which is a different, lesser thing), which is very cleverly built and uses a dry, desert-y Taif rose.

Autumn Favorites

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I've never seen HAVANA in the wild....did you guys online buy or get them in-store?
    Just order online. It's cheap as dirt.

I have seen it at Lord & Taylor but it's barely stocked anywhere anymore.

Autumn Favorites

Rose notes can have very different textures because "rose" is less of a clear note than it is an idea perfumers approach from very different angles.

There can be fresh, dewy, natural rose notes (my favorite), jammy, sweet rose notes, and stuff in-between. The rose in Calligraphy is very thick and dense, and it has a plastic-y quality.

I know that the Calligraphy series is greatly esteemed here, but I find it unsatisfying on the whole. For Western designer scents that play with Middle Eastern styles, I recommend Bvlgari Man Black Orient (*not* Man in Black, which is a different, lesser thing), which is very cleverly built and uses a dry, desert-y Taif rose.
    Awesome! Thanks for the info. I’ve read some about Taif Rose. Apparently, it’s highly thought of among Rose fans. This type in particular is one that I’ve read to be expensive to produce. I can’t remember what brand it was, but I was reading some ad copy for a particular taif rose fragrance they released, and they were talking about the roses being harvested just before dawn by women only, and then having the petals removed by hand (also by women only) due to the delicate nature of this particular type of rose.

I don’t know if all of that is 100% truthful, but I’ll admit that it did have me interested in the fragrance. Thanks again for your help.

[R&G Open] Sounds seriously hairy chested ZC
    It's very classically masculine. Much stronger dry tobacco note than Havana. Havana is a Cuban bar with the drinks flowing; R&G Open is a Cuban cigar bar. I prefer Havana overall, but if you aren't particularly interested in the boozy aspects of Havana and love dry tobacco and woods, Open would be a total hit.

OP, you mentioned getting Devin or JHL next, and I'd just like to but in a word for JHL. It may be my favorite masculine oriental. Devin is bested by many 70s green-leather cyphres.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."