Code of Conduct

Default "Mulacro" Essential Oil - Arcadi Boix Camps

You any of you guys have an idea of what this material might be? Sounds quite interesting, I heard maybe it's from Brazil, this is a native term for it.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Kj...%20oil&f=false

Default Re: "Mulacro" Essential Oil - Arcadi Boix Camps

Hi aromas, I think it is buddhawood oil or false sandalwood, Eremophila mitchellii:
    Eremophilone, hydroxyeremophilone, hydroxy dihydroeremophilone

description which is almost the same as he describes.

Quote Originally Posted by Aromas Del Cielo View Post
    You any of you guys have an idea of what this material might be? Sounds quite interesting, I heard maybe it's from Brazil, this is a native term for it.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Kj...%20oil&f=false
    Maybe Thea is on to something but I searched high and low and had no luck.

I think Thea's right that it's Eremophila. As for the name, 'mulacro' appears to be informal Spanish for 'simulacro' i.e. false/imitation.

Camps' writing is hugely informative but unfortunately also full of typos in the names of substances. It would take a copy-editor with very specialized training to catch those! In some cases he is writing about substances that are not yet broadly available and whose common name is still being decided. When you throw in translation differences it becomes even more confusing.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks Thea for the clue, I was trying to figure that out, myself, last night, as well. I bought some hard to obtain EO's from Brazil, and was trying to find them. If I do, I will compare to my Buddhawood sample... we'll see what they yield. I'll let you know...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Ah, there you are... don't ever storm out again! Next time you feel like it, remember that once you get annoyed at someone here it will only happen again later at the grocery store with someone else. Natures little trick to play on those with "caretaker burnout".
    So you are going to compare which oils? This info on e.mitchellii was listed as far back as 1932, btw. I am always amazed at how far back this research originates, we think of sandalwood replacers as a modern thing.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Thea in Fl View Post
    So you are going to compare which oils?
    Well, I have to find the Brazilian oil, and figure out what it is, to see if it can compare honestly with Buddhawood, but Mulacro does seem to ring a bell, from those Brazilian oils I bought... But, you probably know, with the size of this lab here, sometimes it might take a while to find a tiny bottle that has never been used. Sometimes odd little bottles that you don't quite know what to do with, just can't find a good home on the shelf, and they sit in a box for years.

As for other matters, publicly, I think I'll just keep my mouth closed, and my blood pressure down. But I am glad that change has occurred. It is for the better of this forum family.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

well, good ole double entry system, while it makes no sense to anyone who doesn't like redundancy, is probably the solution. You likely would not have started with that while it is necessary now. If it were hard copy card-file with descriptions, for instance you have a separate journal entry for title and location of box # only. Boxes can be A1, A2... for shelf A box 1 and 2,etc.
    Just a thought...
    But look in the '5ml stuff' box first.... lol.

The original quotation is from Arcadi Boix Camps "Monographs and Musings"

http://www.lulu.com/shop/arcadi-boix...-23377078.html
    *** The Man in the Bow Tie ***

Edmond Roudnitska: "A Life of Perfume" - Newly Published -
    http://www.lulu.com/shop/edmond-roudnitska/a-life-of-perfume/paperback/product-23790632.html

Complete Steffen Arctander Volumes in Perfumers Library
    www.SteffenArctander.com

Nose Tales (Récits de Nez) - 16 Video Interviews with Working Noses
    www.recitsdenez.fr

Basenotes Plus

OK, found what I was looking for, it's not Mulacro, it is Imbuia wood, or Ocotea Porosa EO.
    http://laszlo.ind.br/default.asp?pag...5&alf=i&tipo=c

I've asked two perfumers in Brazil for some help, the first just finished our conversation, but did not have any information that furthers the quest. Maybe the other perfumer might have some idea...?
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Camps
    " I was discovering new essential oils in my quest for natural ingredients, many unknown to perfumers. Oneof the best was labeled by locals as “mulacro” oil (a slang shortening of “simulacro,” or sham/mock) or “false sandalwood,” a soft, woody, slightly smoky scent that, while not very strong, is very long-lasting, with important shades of dynamone."

" I love mixing gardenia with Firmenich’s cassis base; some of its key ingredients, such as isospirene, are metallic, dry and fruity, or in the case of octalinol or etaspirene, more herbal. Mulacro oil mixes very well with theaspirane or our Grapefruit 10090/D, creating magnificent accords. Most of all, the mixtures of gardenia and mulacro oil are divinescents. It is as though they were made for one another, where they created supreme olfactory accords. Once, we synthesized pure eremophylla-1(10),11-dien-9-one and I Fragrance creation was a bit disappointed since, although interesting, it was much more “chemical” and lacking the supreme charm and harmony of the oil. We produce this oil in consistent quantities and its effects are amazing in woody and floral accords. A 1% solution of sesquiterpeneless mulacro oil, a captive in our company, enhances Iso E Super with lovely shades."

Camps
    "Later on, back in Europe and settled in Cabrils, Spain, I analyzed the mulacro oil and found extremely rare and interesting chemicals. I can tell you right now that almost nobody in the world knows about the chemical composition of this product. Its main peak (more than
    50%) is eremophilone (eremophylla-1(10),11-dien-9-one; C15H22O; molecular weight 218). In addition, there are three isomer peaks: hydroxy eremophilanone (C15H24O2; molecular weight 236), 8-hydroxy eremophilone (C15H22O2; molecular weight 234) and, most likely (to be finally determined), 8-hydroxy dehydro eremophilone (C15H20O2; molecular weight 232). This essential oil is one of the most beautiful in my collection and we use large quantities of it. What is funny is that, only recently, the same plant has been found in India and, when distilled, produced an oil almost identical to the one
    developed by me so many years ago.

Basenotes Plus

Yes, I believe Mulacro to be Eremophila Mitchelli, or Buddhawood, or false Sandalwood.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by Septime View Post
    I think Thea's right that it's Eremophila. As for the name, 'mulacro' appears to be informal Spanish for 'simulacro' i.e. false/imitation.

Camps' writing is hugely informative but unfortunately also full of typos in the names of substances. It would take a copy-editor with very specialized training to catch those! In some cases he is writing about substances that are not yet broadly available and whose common name is still being decided. When you throw in translation differences it becomes even more confusing.
    Specialized training, or someone highly suspicious of the intentional typos.

Quote Originally Posted by julian35 View Post
    Camps
    "Later on, I analyzed the mulacro oil and found extremely rare and interesting chemicals. I can tell you right now that almost nobody in the world knows about the chemical composition of this product. Its main peak (more than
    50%) is eremophilone (eremophylla-1(10),11-dien-9-one; C15H22O; molecular weight 218).
    Very interesting. Looking at the molecular structure, eremophilone appears to be an isomer of nootkatone. If it smells anything like nootkatone it probably smells very good.
    But from the fragrance description of Buddha wood EO, I suspect it may be more analogous to damascenone, smelling like woody rose rather than a woody grapefruit.

Interesting you mention nootkatone, because that's what makes me suspicious too, this whole sesquiterpinless sesquiterpenes.... how does that even make sense?
    they have supposedly patented a way to use bacteria enzymes to make nootkatone, yet there is a market for both sesquiterpeneless oils, why don't they just sell the molecules they are taking out... or ARE they?
    If it works both ways to separate an oil into components and the separated material happens to be saleable to another market, why not just say so? I feel like they are pulling some ad campaign by using key players industrywide and not saying something here.
    I think I find conspiracy scenarios in this terpeneless issue only because the CDC was mentioned in the patent. That is not normal, is it?
    In order for this conspiracy to be valid, I guess we will see if buddhawood oil becomes the next have to have beauty item, and magically this 'unheard of before' (well since the 1930s) Eremophilone molecule is the next best thing for perfumers.

And on a lighter note- if you make synthetic fake sandalwood, can you call it ... faux faux wood

I have some nice Buddhawood and 2 different samples of it. They are quiet and if I had to come up with a description I would say it's a cross between elemol and Amyris oil. Woody chemically lemon-cinnamaldehyde almost. Also an oudy table polish note in the 600hr drydown. Fit's right in with things like bisbolene, poivrol, and teak products etc.

Basenotes Plus

I've asked to speak with Alex Sheptitsky, at DDF Australia, as I have here a sample of their CO2 Buddhawood extraction.
    Hopefully they will get back to me soon, but otherwise, Liberty Natural has a pretty fair price for distilled Buddhawood.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Basenotes Plus

Arcadi mentions his 10108/D Gardenia that he blends with the Buddhawood, and, also a Grapefruit base. With the CO2 Buddhawood on my hand and smelling his 10800 and 10808D Gardenia bases, yes I can see that they work well together. I also smell a bit of grapefruit too, in the Buddhawood.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Interesting you mention nootkatone, because that's what makes me suspicious too, this whole sesquiterpinless sesquiterpenes.... how does that even make sense?
    they have supposedly patented a way to use bacteria enzymes to make nootkatone, yet there is a market for both sesquiterpeneless oils, why don't they just sell the molecules they are taking out... or ARE they?
    If it works both ways to separate an oil into components and the separated material happens to be saleable to another market, why not just say so? I feel like they are pulling some ad campaign by using key players industrywide and not saying something here.
    I think I find conspiracy scenarios in this terpeneless issue only because the CDC was mentioned in the patent. That is not normal, is it?
    In order for this conspiracy to be valid, I guess we will see if buddhawood oil becomes the next have to have beauty item, and magically this 'unheard of before' (well since the 1930s) Eremophilone molecule is the next best thing for perfumers.
    Geez, this is some paranoid spewing... I hope this is due to my trying to give up PM coffee cold turkey. Regarding Camp's claim about Eremophilone it is entirely possible that he read this as very recent because there is entry in a scientific journal that mentions it as a veritable unknown, despite the fact it was more like an historical Australian ritual incense. I would like to own this tree as it has good bonsai potential as well, hee hee.

I was an idiot for questioning Camp's intentions, I see his work sparks renewed creativity and is inspirational to many.

I do think I will keep my suspicion of nootkatone claims, however; as the manufacturer of the reportedly enzyme patent process is a penny stock, internet searches will be diluted by questionable press releases. Smelling similaritiy between valerian extract and the thuja that has large amounts as well may be better.

Anyway, just wanted to say "Sorry about last night..."

Basenotes Member

I do think I will keep my suspicion of nootkatone claims, however; as the manufacturer of the reportedly enzyme patent process is a penny stock, internet searches will be diluted by questionable press releases.
    Perhaps your Nootkatone suspicions have something to do with this:

The CDC owns patents on nootkatone and has licensed them to two companies — one to develop an insect repellent particularly for ticks and mosquitos, the other to work on insecticides -- via the terpene.

In 2014, Evolva (a Nootkatone manufacturer) acquired Allylix, a start-up that developed an early process to make nootkatone via sugar fermentation. At the time, Allylix was promoting the potential use of nootkatone to prevent the spread of ticks that carry Lyme disease.

^^^^ snippets from articles I read a wile ago.

That would explain why some sources recommend 0.5-2% Cupressus nootkatensis EO (i.e. 0.015-0.06% nootkatone) in tick-repelling formulations.

Quote Originally Posted by DanaB View Post
    Perhaps your Nootkatone suspicions have something to do with this:

The CDC owns patents on nootkatone and has licensed them to two companies — one to develop an insect repellent particularly for ticks and mosquitos, the other to work on insecticides -- via the terpene.

In 2014, Evolva (a Nootkatone manufacturer) acquired Allylix, a start-up that developed an early process to make nootkatone via sugar fermentation. At the time, Allylix was promoting the potential use of nootkatone to prevent the spread of ticks that carry Lyme disease.

^^^^ snippets from articles I read a wile ago.
    Gah, don't feed my obsession . I don't think the government can own patents, but the CDC may need oversight of corporations where the bioengineered product is to be fermented using e.coli. I think it is maybe directors or board members own stock, and yes it is a conflict of interest if approval or endorsement would be involved.

Anyway, the other things I read make me want to get this buddhawood oil and mix it with that thuja, Pears started a thread on it, it contains a high percentage of nootkatone. Then I think they will go with something nutty, like poppyseed aroma. Will these 3 together make kind of lemon-poppyseed wood?

Where is Aromas, he usually posts back?

Pears started a thread on it, it contains a high percentage of nootkatone.
    So does Alaskan Yellow Cedar. That doesn't mean it's going to smell like nootkatone. There are a lot of other very potent smells in those essential oils, they can really overwhelm the nootkatone smell. If you're wanting to add it just because of the high nootkatone content, make sure you are okay with the rest of the smell that comes with it.
    In my personal opinion it might just make more sense to use nootkatone itself.

Nice work you guys, yeah Buddhawood seems very plausible. I haven't taken the time to research it but yeah I'd say its very likely. Thanks again Thea

Hi Aromas, I am going to get some too. I think I would like to see a similarity to some of the wood oils high in similar compounds. I can't even imagine what citrus has in common with this buddhawood and cypress and cedarwood, just all in different forms.
    Also, I wonder if anyone makes citrus wood oil, it is very pleasant.

I can't even imagine what citrus has in common with this buddhawood and cypress and cedarwood, just all in different forms.
    Probably not much, I don't think they would smell that similar.

Then that means you have high blood pressure maybe, one of these mystery molecules is also found in the urine of humans (at least) with high blood pressure. This could lead to frequently smelling something and then not being able to pick out as a new note, or maybe even associating with urinous smell. Now I wonder if urine smells different after being very angry.
    This makes me want to look up urinous notes on tgsc. First time I would search that.
    Also I found the most interesting, a type of aster that contains this type of compound, a yellow aster with an unfortunate name, usually reserved for succulents.