Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default the flight to quality - do you have this "problem"? Don't mean to sound smug (apologies)

I have maybe 150 attars and 300 perfumes but there is always a drive for "the best" and often this means reaching for, say, Sultan Pasha even though there are many great perfumes.

Do you have this "problem"?

Not trying many of your collection simply because there are such good ones that get all your attention?

Default Re: the flight to quality - do you have this "problem"? Don't mean to sound smug (apologies)

An otherwise unremarkable fragrance with a striking and unusual accord might get a lot of wear from me just because of my infatuation with that particular accord.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Hommage à L'Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men (vintage), Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite

Default Re: the flight to quality - do you have this "problem"? Don't mean to sound smug (apologies)

No, I can walk away and do. What does 'best' mean in this context?

I love Richwood by Xerjoff but I refuse to pay just south of £600 for it -- I'd be happy to get another bottle of Egoiste

That sounds like a great “problem” to have.

On a much smaller and cheaper scale, I’m the same way with certain fragrances. Most of my fragrances are cheapies, but admittedly, I find myself drawn to my “nicer” bottles as well. In fact, after getting a couple of Creeds, a Chanel, the Dior Parfums, a few Mancera bottles, a couple Tiziana Terenzi bottles, Interlude Man, Shams Oud and so forth, I found myself wanting to “elevate” my collection some by biting the bullet on more niche stuff and higer end designers that I’ve been looking at.

Finances hold me back (as well as still wanting a lot of cheapies), but I’d like to get some Tom Ford, Dusita, Bortnikoff, MFK, PdM, etc in my collection. Of course, this will mean slowing my purchases quite a lot, but I do think it will be worth it in the end. Hopefully I can build to something nice. I may not ever be able to get the ones I want, but even having a handful of these would make me happy.

I didn’t detect anything smug in your post.

I suppose in the sense I do not want to buy cheap stuff just because it is cheap.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post

On a much smaller and cheaper scale, I’m the same way with certain fragrances. Most of my fragrances are cheapies, but admittedly, I find myself drawn to my “nicer” bottles as well. In fact, after getting a couple of Creeds, a Chanel, the Dior Parfums, a few Mancera bottles, a couple Tiziana Terenzi bottles, Interlude Man, Shams Oud and so forth, I found myself wanting to “elevate” my collection some by biting the bullet on more niche stuff and higer end designers that I’ve been looking at.

Finances hold me back (as well as still wanting a lot of cheapies), but I’d like to get some Tom Ford, Dusita, Bortnikoff, MFK, PdM, etc in my collection. Of course, this will mean slowing my purchases quite a lot, but I do think it will be worth it in the end. Hopefully I can build to something nice. I may not ever be able to get the ones I want, but even having a handful of these would make me happy.

I didn’t detect anything smug in your post.
    thank you. I am grateful to have such "problems", LOL.

I do like some cheapies too. But I find the flight to quality often means I neglect fantastic fragrances in my collection.

If anything, I have the opposite issue and sometimes feel the need to "conserve" my best stuff, which I know is ridiculous. So I wear my "second tier" stuff all the time.

I also have this weird drive to spread my wears around my wardrobe, which means that even my favorites tend not to get much more action than everything else.

What I really need to do is prune some of the stuff I'm not as enthusiastic about from my collection.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Oland by Avon

Can’t say I do. I have learnt to appreciate most of what I have in my wardrobe. Compositions can be made beautiful even if the components themselves are cheap to source. And sometimes the beautiful high quality stuff can be distracting.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma
    Currently wearing: L'Envol by Cartier

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post

Hasn't become a problem for me yet.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    If anything, I have the opposite issue and sometimes feel the need to "conserve" my best stuff, which I know is ridiculous. So I wear my "second tier" stuff all the time.

I also have this weird drive to spread my wears around my wardrobe, which means that even my favorites tend not to get much more action than everything else.

What I really need to do is prune some of the stuff I'm not as enthusiastic about from my collection.
    Same here. Though I wouldn't even know how to start pruning. I'd be hesitant to sell on eBay, and the shipping restrictions here in the UK are getting a bit ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    but there is always a drive for "the best" and often this means reaching for, say, Sultan Pasha even though there are many great perfumes.

Not at all. The ones that aren't as good simply get sold for the better offerings. Can't be bothered with more than 20 or so bottles. Too much clutter.

Loved MFK Oud but sold that off for Oud Extrait. Still loved the edp but there's no reason to keep a "slight variant around"

If I was into generic smells I wouldn't keep Bleu de Chanel Parfum around if I had Roja elysium Cologne around.
    Don't stank.
    Currently wearing: Kuwait by Roja Dove

Quote Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post

This is pretty much me as well, almost exactly.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

There has always been that association of price with quality, and fragrance is by and large no different....except, of course, there's always an exception to the rule.

To my nose, Parfums de Nicolai should cost 3x what it does. It doesn't, and I'm grateful. I think they make pretty top-tier quality scents. Sure, I think there are more expensive options which may be even better, but I reach for PdN just as often.
    "Creating perfume is the closest one can get to practicing alchemy"

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post

Similar thoughts.

I try to wear everything I own, and make a concerted effort to wear everything I've bought, even if it's cheap, and even if it's not good. It all should get worn at some point.

And there are some bottles, because of difficulty replacing them, either as vintages or expense, that I will conserve for more special occasions.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

I'll take pleasure from a scent over perceived quality, if that's what "best" means here - although I think for some it's linked inextricably to the actual cost of the perfume. If something puts a smile on my face when I wear it then it doesn't matter how much it cost, because it's doing the job I want it to.

I've started slowly to prune down my collection on this basis, but am keeping the pruned ones stored away because tastes can change over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Can’t say I do. I have learnt to appreciate most of what I have in my wardrobe. Compositions can be made beautiful even if the components themselves are cheap to source.
    There's a difference between a fragrance smelling "expensive" or "niche" and being well-made. Folks often fail to make that distinction.

(This remark is not a criticism of the OP, just a broad observation.)
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Hommage à L'Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men (vintage), Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    An otherwise unremarkable fragrance with a striking and unusual accord might get a lot of wear from me just because of my infatuation with that particular accord.
    This is a fairly succinct analysis of my relationship of my least expensive fragrances that rest among my favorites of any price, though "unremarkable" would have to mean inexpensive and/or not particularly popular. The accord to which you are drawn, however, does make them so. The three that immediately come to mind are Bogart One Man Show (~$11/100ml), Guy Laroche Horizon (~$12) and Yacht Man Red (~$7).
    Currently wearing: Life by Nautica

Some fragrances do get more attention, even if not deliberately, than others-but usually covering all or most price categories existing in the current lineup/wardrobe