Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Amouage: what do you think is the sleeper or under-rated of the line?

Fate Man, Journey Man, Myths Man

Default Re: Amouage: what do you think is the sleeper or under-rated of the line?

I’m taking notes. But I remember feeling not at all impressed with their Opus library, to be honest.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Silver Man. Perfect for spring / summer with a fresh, bright citrus, neroli, jasmine, silver aldehydes throughout, and a slight musky base.
    Currently wearing: Dia Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I’m taking notes. But I remember feeling not at all impressed with their Opus library, to be honest.
    Coincidentally I was wearing Opus IV again just yesterday and I thought to myself "what a sleeper hit this is". I also think Opus XI is a very good fragrance that not many people seem to have noticed.

From the main line, I find Myths Man to be an extremely fascinating release. It sure is polarizig and I can see why many people might have a hard time liking it but in my opinion there's a lot of depth to it. People compare Figment Man to Kouros because of the obvious similarities that stem from use of the Animalis-base but overall, I feel that Myths Man comes much closer to the complexity of Kouros, a modernized Omani-take on it. I think it would be relatievely obvious, if it did have some dirty notes too.
    Currently wearing: Ébène by Pierre Balmain

- Journey
    - Myhths
    My Top '11' of main current rotation in no particular order:

- Fragrances of Ireland: Patrick
    - Polo Blue Gold Blend edp
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - TF: Ombré Leather
    - Al Haramain: Excellent
    - SA: Shaghaf Oud Abyad
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - Mancera: Aoud Vanille

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I’m really appreciating the ideas in this thread.

Opus II should be worshipped, but I don't see that.
    Gold Man doesn't get enough praise
    Currently wearing: Cigar by Rémy Latour

Basenotes Plus

Gold Man. Wow. I’m trying to like this. Some of it is brilliant in the drydown but some of it is just like soap. So far anyway. Early days yet.

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    Gold Man. Wow. I’m trying to like this. Some of it is brilliant in the drydown but some of it is just like soap. So far anyway. Early days yet.
    Don't know about the current, I'm a lucky owner if a vintage narrow-neck and it is just out of this world
    Currently wearing: Cigar by Rémy Latour

Fate and Memoir women's versions. In fact I prefer nearly all the versions marketed as woman, but those two hit most of the marks for me.

Basenotes Plus

For me it would be Journey, Sunshine and maybe Honour. Btw, Overture and Portrayal are really great releases- I'll be curious for those who think the house jumped the shark to get their noses on these two.

Remember liking Opus IV-VI a lot. Haven’t tried much of the newer offerings. Have never been able to click with Gold Man—my 4 year old daughter wears the decant.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by avo1811 View Post
    Journey, Fate, Honour. I dont see those ones mentioned much but in all honestly they are all very good.
    100% agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Russlan View Post
    Don't know about the current, I'm a lucky owner if a vintage narrow-neck and it is just out of this world
    Owned the vintage a few years ago after buying a big parfum/niche lot and to me this was THE scent for a very rich hair chested macho man, lol.
    Funny thing was when I sold it, a tall big macho looking business man (open blouse, hair on chest, big expensive golden watch and driving a 100k+ car) came to pick this up at my house. Perfect scent for that guy...…...not for me. I always wondered why he not just bought a new one but I guess he was intrigued by the fact that it was the strong vintage version!
    My Top '11' of main current rotation in no particular order:

- Fragrances of Ireland: Patrick
    - Polo Blue Gold Blend edp
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - TF: Ombré Leather
    - Al Haramain: Excellent
    - SA: Shaghaf Oud Abyad
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - Mancera: Aoud Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    Owned the vintage a few years ago after buying a big parfum/niche lot and to me this was THE scent for a very rich hair chested macho man, lol.
    Funny thing was when I sold it, a tall big macho looking business man (open blouse, hair on chest, big expensive golden watch and driving a 100k+ car) came to pick this up at my house. Perfect scent for that guy...…...not for me. I always wondered why he not just bought a new one but I guess he was intrigued by the fact that it was the strong vintage version!
    Gold Man vintage is a variation of Gold Woman by Guy Robert. There is an intense civet version of vintage Gold Man.
    Last edited by mixerscent; 27th August 2019 at 12:18 AM.
    Currently wearing: Dia Man by Amouage

Gold vintage is a totally different beast to current Gold. I tried the vintage earlier this year from a store’s tester bottle and I was shocked by the amount of animalics in it. None of that whatsoever in current - just a clean soapy incense.
    Currently wearing: Eucris by Geo F Trumper

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Dia Man(vintage) was beautiful, but it’s impossible to find now.
    ^ This.

Love that stuff!
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Baque by Slumberhouse

Journey Man

User of Toilet Water

Current Gold Man is alternately soapy and powdery. There are still animalics in it to me - I find it particularly musky, so it has that clean vs.dirty dichotomy that I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by strifeknot View Post
    Ciel Man never got a lot of attention, but is more interesting than most releases from the house over the last decade.
    It's one of my Amouage favorites but unfortunately hard to get.
    Last edited by Trauerkraut; 28th August 2019 at 03:56 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hound View Post
    Current Gold Man is alternately soapy and powdery. There are still animalics in it to me - I find it particularly musky, so it has that clean vs.dirty dichotomy that I enjoy.
    I love the current Gold Man. Can't say I've smelled the vintage although I was very close to pulling the trigger on an old bottle recently. The thing that stopped me (aside from the price) was remembering how much I enjoy the current formulation.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Oud Dude View Post
    I love the current Gold Man. Can't say I've smelled the vintage although I was very close to pulling the trigger on an old bottle recently. The thing that stopped me (aside from the price) was remembering how much I enjoy the current formulation.
    I know it’s controversial here, but I am sure that sometimes just having the bottle and using it a few times can improve it over a few months. Current version of Gold Man strikes me as a fine wine that is not quite ready to drink.

I may buy a vintage bottle soon though.

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    It's one of my Amouage favorites but unfotunately hard to get.
    Yes discontinued along with Silver
    Currently wearing: Fate Man by Amouage