Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Default Captcha bot check for mobile device users

Implementation of the Capcha is a pain for mobile device users. I usually post from my phone, but this seems to be made for people using a computer and mouse. My understanding is that it tracks the mouse movement when clicking the box, but because I知 on a phone there is no movement to track so I知 seen as a bot, and sent to a series of image tests (click all the boxes with...), which are a pain particularly because the images are small on my phone screen and take as long to get through as it took me to write my post.
    Can this be handled in a better way?
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Banned

Default Re: Captcha bot check for mobile device users

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Implementation of the Capcha is a pain for mobile device users. I usually post from my phone, but this seems to be made for people using a computer and mouse. My understanding is that it tracks the mouse movement when clicking the box, but because I知 on a phone there is no movement to track so I知 seen as a bot, and sent to a series of image tests (click all the boxes with...), which are a pain particularly because the images are small on my phone screen and take as long to get through as it took me to write my post.
    Can this be handled in a better way?
    Even for computer users, it's a pain.

Its all part of the rustic, dilapidated charm of this site that sometimes gives you dial up flashbacks, other times makes you huddle into a ball and is never on time yet always there when you call. Sometimes.

Just wondering out loud but why does nothing ever seem to get fixed around here, no matter how much people voice their displeasure? Sure we get some platitudes here and there, a bit of a story now and then but very little in the way of an actual improvement.

In between the ad revenue and paid subscribers/contributors you'd think there would be enough to handle even the basics such as a decent server?

I keep myself logged in on my PC and mobile phone, and never come across any CAPTCHAs...?

Are you using Tapatalk? If so, try to switch to the PC site on your mobile phone if it bothers you.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    Even for computer users, it's a pain.
    Amen. I'm getting captchas at weird, unpredictable times. Just now I had to go through three captcha puzzles just to send a PM. And it seems to demand one every time I use 'advanced' editing on a post. Getting very annoying.

And I'm on a laptop, not a phone.
    Before the leaves fall, an all-green September:
    Aromatics Elixir / Azuree / Corsica Furiosa / Cristalle / Eau du Sud / Eau Sauvage / Iskander / Ivoire, 1980 / Ivoire, 2012 / Le Canotier / Ninfeo Mio / No. 19 / Prince de Galles Sport / Route de Vetiver / Safari / Silences / Sud Est / Tiare / Vent Vert / Vetiver de Guerlain / Vetiverus / Vert de Acampora

What browser are you guys using? I don't think I ever had a CAPTCHA on this site. I'm using Firefox and Chrome.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    What browser are you guys using? I don't think I ever had a CAPTCHA on this site. I'm using Firefox and Chrome.
    I'm using those same two. But it just occurred to me that I'm usually using "private browsing mode". I'll check to see if it also happens in normal mode.

I've also had a new glitch starting today: about half the time when I hit the "reply with quote" button, no quoted text appears in the reply box. More annoyance.
    Aromatics Elixir / Azuree / Corsica Furiosa / Cristalle / Eau du Sud / Eau Sauvage / Iskander / Ivoire, 1980 / Ivoire, 2012 / Le Canotier / Ninfeo Mio / No. 19 / Prince de Galles Sport / Route de Vetiver / Safari / Silences / Sud Est / Tiare / Vent Vert / Vetiver de Guerlain / Vetiverus / Vert de Acampora

I've noticed that for computer and mobile, if you use Firefox... you'll very rarely see captchas that make you select images. For some reason, its like captcha detects browsers and concludes firefox users arent bots.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Amen. I'm getting captchas at weird, unpredictable times. Just now I had to go through three captcha puzzles just to send a PM. And it seems to demand one every time I use 'advanced' editing on a post. Getting very annoying.

And I'm on a laptop, not a phone.
    Yes. When forum posts are long, it happens also.
    Also, not sure it's new, but it's not possible to post on forum more than one post every 30sec.

Basenotes Plus

I just switched my Firefox to NOT private browsing, cleared all caches, checked that Firefox was up to date...

and I still get Captchas when posting. I also have a new glitch when editing. I'm just gonna start a "new glitch" thread here.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    I keep myself logged in on my PC and mobile phone, and never come across any CAPTCHAs...?

Are you using Tapatalk? If so, try to switch to the PC site on your mobile phone if it bothers you.
    Same, and had no issues for years, but suddenly got a load of them over a day or two. Now back to normal, I think.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

stinkin' to high heaven

............................. ◘ surrounded by squares ◘
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Same, and had no issues for years, but suddenly got a load of them over a day or two. Now back to normal, I think.
    This started for me a couple days ago. It's sporadic. Never experienced it here before. I'm using a P.C., usually with IE. Is this something new, to be the norm? Highly frigging annoying.

Always be smelling

Just use Tapatalk guys.
    It is free, easy and no captchas
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

stinkin' to high heaven

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Just use Tapatalk guys.
    It is free, easy and no captchas

Not possible for me - I only have a flip-phone.

Started getting these as well, about a week ago, on iphone. Weird. Also got some instruction in German while trying to add a photo in an edit. Very amusing to see that.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon

Before the weekend we had an IP address attack the site which caused it to be very slow, and unrepsonsive. Some setting were adjusted to basically put them off, but it looks like the settings were tooo sensitive, so I'm seeing what I can do to adjust it.

Sorry everyone

And I agree with it being annoying

stinkin' to high heaven

Blog Entries

No captcha thingies since Sunday. Yeah!

I've been getting it today as well but not from a mobile device.

I’m using an iPad with Safari and am getting the captchas when logging in (which I have to do every time I perform a moderator function) plus I have to go through multiple sets of images before it accepts that I’m not a bot. Thanks for checking into it and fine-tuning Grant!

Blog Entries

Thanks, Grant. l got a captcha thingy when sending a PM a day or two ago, & l'm using Chrome on a laptop. Haven't had to edit a post recently so haven't experienced it happening there yet.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.