Code of Conduct

Default Reconstituting evaporated perfume

I don’t normally post here, so I hope you won’t mind a non-DIY question.

I have 10 fragrance decants I lost then found during a house move, which are mostly evaporated. They all smell good, but are more like varnish in the bottles. Is it possible to reconstitute these with a carrier like ethanol?

If so, what place would you recommend to purchase from?

Default Re: Reconstituting evaporated perfume

I’ve tried a “perfumers alcohol” that I got from amazon. Not bad when used to reconstitute evaporated samples(obviously the top notes are mostly gone anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    I’ve tried a “perfumers alcohol” that I got from amazon. Not bad when used to reconstitute evaporated samples(obviously the top notes are mostly gone anyway).
    Yeah, the topnotes...
    A few will fare better (Heeley Agarwood, Iunx L’arbre, Patchouli Patch)...maybe...
    I’m having a hard time throwing them away, so I’m willing to try it. Thanks for the heads-up.
    Last edited by flathorn; 24th August 2019 at 01:49 AM.

I don’t know if we are allowed to do direct posts but the one that I found that most closely resembled the carrier alcohol I’ve seen in use cane in a blue bottle and said Perfumers Studio Equivalent Solution

K - I found that one.

Basenotes Plus

you can buy a bit of Perfumers alcohol here:
    https://www.creatingperfume.com/perfumealcohol.aspx
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    you can buy a bit of Perfumers alcohol here:
    https://www.creatingperfume.com/perfumealcohol.aspx
    I purchased 8 oz of Perfumers alcohol on this site and found out the cheapest shipping to Alaska was $64. So yeah, I’m back to Amazon.
    Really interesting site... tempting to explore.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by flathorn View Post
    I purchased 8 oz of Perfumers alcohol on this site and found out the cheapest shipping to Alaska was $64. So yeah, I’m back to Amazon.
    Really interesting site... tempting to explore.
    OK< Sorry.
    Can you buy 190 proof Everclear (grain) Vodka, or 192 Proof Spirytus (potato) Vodka?
    If you can, then as good as Perfumers alcohol for this. You *could* use 150 proof, if you had to... but 190/192 is much preferred.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    OK< Sorry.
    Can you buy 190 proof Everclear (grain) Vodka, or 192 Proof Spirytus (potato) Vodka?
    If you can, then as good as Perfumers alcohol for this. You *could* use 150 proof, if you had to... but 190/192 is much preferred.
    Yes, Everclear is available. Thanks for the info.

I wanted to do a follow-up about reconstituting with 190 proof Everclear. The decant I least wanted to lose was ‘Djedi’ by Guerlain, which was the main reason I was looking for a way to reconstitute them.

The Everclear is perhaps a bit harsher, but worked well. With Djedi there were fewer topnotes (a Bergamot, which seemed fairly sturdy and I still smell, and perhaps a slight flattening of some other aspect which I can’t quite figure out) so the impact was less than I feared. I notice the Djedi pyramid lists aldehydes so perhaps they’re reduced? Not sure, as I don’t entirely have a handle on the spectrum of their effects. There is a decided mineralic sparky edge to Djedi that may be the result of aldehydes, not sure again.

But thank you Pkiler and Proust_Madeleine for the information.