Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
o

Default Re: No idea where to start? First Post. Help?

Hi all,

So it's been a rather busy few days but I think the ball is now rolling.

I've tried around 30 samples or so now. From these the first 3 that I have bought are

Dior fahrenheit
    LA nuit de lhomme le parfum
    Pure havane

However I couldn't resist a couple of blind buys either after reading so many great reviews and also bought

Ferragamo f black
    Bogart pour homme

From the 3 that I bought based off of the samples, are there any fragrances that you think I should try next?

Thanks!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Fahrenheit was one of my first bottles, and still one of my favorites.

A couple others I like are Hermes Bel Ami and Moschino Pour Homme.

What a great start! Seems like you enjoy sensual (or warm) fragrances. Maybe you would also like Endymion by Penhaligon’s? It is in the same vein as La Nuit de l’Homme; refined but very mass pleasing.

Banned

Congrats on your new bottles.
    i'd keep the blind buying to a minimum, if I were you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Fahrenheit was one of my first bottles, and still one of my favorites.

A couple others I like are Hermes Bel Ami and Moschino Pour Homme.
    Thanks! Moschino is on my list to try. Will add bel ami

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Schmo View Post
    What a great start! Seems like you enjoy sensual (or warm) fragrances. Maybe you would also like Endymion by Penhaligonís? It is in the same vein as La Nuit de líHomme; refined but very mass pleasing.
    There are quite a few penhaligons that I hope to try soon! Will make sure I check endymion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    Congrats on your new bottles.
    i'd keep the blind buying to a minimum, if I were you.
    Thank you!

I doubt I'll be doing much blind buying to be honest. The bogart was dirt cheap and the ferragamo sounded like a safe fragrance to keep at the office. Otherwise I'm looking to sample first!

Just an update. Some new samples arrived today

Guerlain habit rouge
    Versace Dylan blue
    Chanel Bleu de chanel
    Kouros
    Mr burberry

HOLY hell kouros is pokey. Maybe it'll grow on me because I didn't hate it. I found it quite nice but 'from a distance' as such.

Habit rouge is definitely one ill be buying a bottle of. Love this. Probably the best of the bunch for me.

The only one I didn't like was Versace Dylan blue, and I'd heard pretty much unanimously positive reviews from people about it. Just didnt do anything for me

Welcome. Just my 2 cents worth as I have been sampling like mad the past month, my favs so far are....

Creed Aventus (bit too pricey for me to pull the trigger just yet) maybe try CDNI as a more affordable alternative if you like this.
    Mugler Colonge
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver

Both Acqua di Gio and Profumo are nice but just do not last long on my skin, so worth a test.

Good luck and enjoy!

I'm now at around 50 samples this month and I'm starting to realise that even with sampling first, errors can be made. An example being that after I received my first 15 or so samples, I bought la nuit de lhomme le parfum and pure havane. They were 2 of my favs from the batch. But in such a short period of time, la nuit de lhomme would no longer be something that I'd consider one of my favourites.

So my question is this, is there a smarter way to sample? For example, would it be better to order a batch of vetiver heavy scents so that I can clearly determine a favourite, than it would be to just order a random selection?

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by AiKz View Post
    I'm now at around 50 samples this month and I'm starting to realise that even with sampling first, errors can be made. An example being that after I received my first 15 or so samples, I bought la nuit de lhomme le parfum and pure havane. They were 2 of my favs from the batch. But in such a short period of time, la nuit de lhomme would no longer be something that I'd consider one of my favourites.

So my question is this, is there a smarter way to sample? For example, would it be better to order a batch of vetiver heavy scents so that I can clearly determine a favourite, than it would be to just order a random selection?
    Good posting, AiKz.

I had the same issue with La Nuit de L’Homme, and had to get rid of it.

Your sampling method is perfect, I think. The challenge with some ingredients, like one or more in La Nuit de L’Homme, is that they can breed contempt with too much familiarity. Now, I can recognize a fragrance with that type of note, and I know within a second or two that it’s not for me.

Maybe sample -> decant -> full bottle?

I think the real issue, however, is that you are in the process of learning your taste. That is a good thing, but you obviously make mistakes along the way. I guess it is somewhat like dating. When you first start out in your teens you fall in love with other people so easily. You think everyone is the love of your life, but most relationships are fleeting at that point. As you get more experienced, you become more picky and much more suited to find people that are special to you in the long run. Same with fragrances. Enjoy the process and take it slow, would be my advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Good posting, AiKz.

I had the same issue with La Nuit de LíHomme, and had to get rid of it.

Your sampling method is perfect, I think. The challenge with some ingredients, like one or more in La Nuit de LíHomme, is that they can breed contempt with too much familiarity. Now, I can recognize a fragrance with that type of note, and I know within a second or two that itís not for me.
    Thanks a lot Bavard!

Yeah it's strange. Ill give it one or two more tries and sell on if no change.

I have also had the complete opposite with Caron's pour un homme. On first sniff I found it to smell almost stale/sour and would've put it rock bottom among all I'd tested. However I have tried it a few more times and I'm actually quite a fan of it, now. Would go as far as to say its on my list of fragrances I hope to pick up a full bottle of at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Schmo View Post
    Maybe sample -> decant -> full bottle?

I think the real issue, however, is that you are in the process of learning your taste. That is a good thing, but you obviously make mistakes along the way. I guess it is somewhat like dating. When you first start out in your teens you fall in love with other people so easily. You think everyone is the love of your life, but most relationships are fleeting at that point. As you get more experienced, you become more picky and much more suited to find people that are special to you in the long run. Same with fragrances. Enjoy the process and take it slow, would be my advice.
    I completely agree regarding taste. I also think I was too eager to buy full bottles. There's such a vast amount of fragrances out there that I shouldn't be buying a full bottle unless I really really like it. Ah, well, we live and learn I guess!

I am thoroughly enjoying it and will definitely resist being too trigger happy on full bottles from now on. I also have an ever growing list of scents to sample at the moment. So I want to get through these before I make any rash, full bottle purchases!

Basenotes Plus

With a collection you won’t be wearing the same fragrance everyday, start a rotation and don’t beat the same fragrance to death it can lead to becoming bored of it. You can find a lot of your needs met in the designer realm easily, niche can be daring scent territory so definitely sample first you have forever to perfect a wardrobe so don’t think it too much enjoy!
    Current Top Favorites

Azzaro Azzaro Pour Homme
    Guerlain LíInstant De Guerlain Pour Homme EDP
    Chanel Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
    Guerlain Heritage EDT
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Ralph Lauren Polo
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior