Code of Conduct
o
    Basenotes Plus

Default New glitches when posting/editing

In addition to the Captcha issues listed in this thread....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/468...e-device-users
    ...I'm having several other problems posting today.

--Whenever I try to edit a previous post, no matter how much/little I edit, I get a popup message that says "message is too short", and a command button in German (!). There's nothing I can do except abandon the edit.

--When creating a PM, if I choose "preview message" or "advance", I get put through the Captcha mill.

For reference:

I've tried both these procedures in both Chrome and Firefox browsers. I cleared caches, made sure cookies were allowed and that neither were set to "private browsing" or "incognito", made sure both browsers were updated. This is on a laptop running Win10.
    Last edited by Cook.bot; 24th August 2019 at 11:58 PM. Reason: frustration!

Banned

Default Re: New glitches when posting/editing

I have not experienced these issues. I am running Safari on my MacBook Pro.

Basenotes Plus

Cook.bot, I have been having exactly the same issues for a couple of days now. I have tried editing in both Internet Explorer and Chrome to no avail.

I'm currently having issues with editing both my sale and my split threads in the Marketplace. When I go to the editing page, the text box comes up completely blank and there is nothing there to edit. I tried editing some of my other posts, and didn't have the issue. So I'm not sure what makes those two particular posts unique, but both are having the same problem. This is occurring in both Chrome and IE.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    When I go to the editing page, the text box comes up completely blank and there is nothing there to edit. .
    Oh yeah, I forgot to add that problem to my OP. Whenever I choose "reply with quote", the post window has no quoted text in it.

Basenotes Plus

What the $%*&??? I just tried to edit my OP, and the whole thing disappeared!! Jeez, now I have to recreate the whole thing again??

Basenotes Plus

Okay, so I recreated the OP for the third time... now let's see if I can insert a screensnip of the popup that I get when I try to edit. Using the advanced editor to insert a JPG capture should be quite a little adventure...

Attachment 107713

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    What the $%*&??? I just tried to edit my OP, and the whole thing disappeared!! Jeez, now I have to recreate the whole thing again??
    Yes, this is exactly my problem. When I got to the editing page, there's nothing there ... the entire post disappears.

Basenotes Plus

It's so weird how arbitrary this glitch is. I just tried to edit 4 different posts, and two of the times they went smoothly, and the other two times I got the "message too short" notice no matter how much or how little I typed and/or amended.

And I still get the Captcha checkbox and puzzle photos about half the time when I use the "advanced" option to create a post.

Very odd.

Now, I am getting the same glitch, but without the German.
    Also, when I try to edit a post I get the spinning beachball of death on my MacBook Pro running Safari version 13.0.2.(13608.2.40.1.2)

This is happening again.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    This is happening again.
    I haven't been getting the empty edit boxes described in my OP, but I am getting Captcha demands again when creating PMs.

I haven't been getting the empty edit boxes described in my OP, but I am getting Captcha demands again when creating PMs.
    Yes, you're right, no empty edit boxes (I don't remember getting that previously, though)...but do get the Captcha and the periodically am seeing the "message too short" error.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

When posting, I no longer have the option boxes for bolding text, text colour, adding photos (that whole top line).
    Started last night, 8th January 2020.

ETA : Firefox on Win10
    February theme : wax, dust, powder, and resins . FBs : Piguet Casbah; CdG Avignon, Etro Heliotrope; Etro Ambra; Lalique Encre Noire . Samples : Anatole Lebreton Grimoire; Tauer LADDM/ACDD; Tom Daxon Iridium; Papillon Angelique; Dior DHI; Unum LAVS, Io Non Ho Mani; Penhaligon's Sartorial; Knize Forest; Piguet Futur; Molinard Habanita
    Currently wearing: Casbah by Robert Piguet

Quote Originally Posted by incense+heliotrope View Post
    When posting, I no longer have the option boxes for bolding text, text colour, adding photos (that whole top line).
    Started last night, 8th January 2020.

ETA : Firefox on Win10
    Hmmm I wonder if it could be that you've toggled the WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) mode? That's the very first button starting from the left on the reply box.

If you can't see that, can you check what setting you have in:
    Settings -> General Settings (under My Settings) -> Message Editor Interface (under Miscellaneous Options)

There are three options there. Which one do you have selected?
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami by Hermès

There were 3 options, and I seemed to have the mid-range version, so not the blank text box I'm still getting. And despite changing to 'all bells and whistles wsywyg'.>>>>
    ETA : now I find that I can edit a post, and select various text/image possibilities. Ok.... Off to experiment.
    ETA2 : hit or miss as to which kind of text (editing) box I see.
    February theme : wax, dust, powder, and resins . FBs : Piguet Casbah; CdG Avignon, Etro Heliotrope; Etro Ambra; Lalique Encre Noire . Samples : Anatole Lebreton Grimoire; Tauer LADDM/ACDD; Tom Daxon Iridium; Papillon Angelique; Dior DHI; Unum LAVS, Io Non Ho Mani; Penhaligon's Sartorial; Knize Forest; Piguet Futur; Molinard Habanita

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by incense+heliotrope View Post

ETA2 : hit or miss as to which kind of text (editing) box I see.
    ^^ Same for me, and I do NOT have the WYSIWYG button set to Source Mode. Also Firefox on Win10.

Basenotes Plus

^^ Same for me, and I do NOT have the WYSIWYG button set to Source Mode. Also Firefox on Win10.
    Now I'm not only getting no formatting toolbars, but in both forum posts and PMs, it won't recognize any paragraph breaks.

Basenotes Plus

All these things listed above are still happening to me, and even more frequently now! 1. About 1 out of 3 times, I get a blank posting box with no toolbars, and trying the "advanced" box is just the same. 2. About 1 out of 4 times, my posting replies AND my PMs will not register paragraph breaks. 3. When I do get toolbar options, the "attachments" folder will not pull up. 4. Still getting arbitrarily logged out, with no pattern. Right now I'm typing this in a posting box that has no toolbars visible -- let's see if it turns out with or without paragraph breaks that I entered between the 4 items listed above.

All these things listed above are still happening to me, and even more frequently now! 1. About 1 out of 3 times, I get a blank posting box with no toolbars, and trying the "advanced" box is just the same. 2. About 1 out of 4 times, my posting replies AND my PMs will not register paragraph breaks. 3. When I do get toolbar options, the "attachments" folder will not pull up. 4. Still getting arbitrarily logged out, with no pattern. Right now I'm typing this in a posting box that has no toolbars visible -- let's see if it turns out with or without paragraph breaks that I entered between the 4 items listed above.
    That's really strange - I'm not experiencing those things (fingers crossed it stays that way).

The captcha thing still happens sporadically when I'm editing posts.

Basenotes Plus

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the Captcha thing. That b.s. is still happening to me, too.

Basenotes Plus

This is awful, Cook.bot. I have had the empty posting box now and then, but not consistently.

I am wondering if you have tried logging in on a different computer or device. It might give you some more clues. I find the site behaves better on my PC than my iPad.
    Currently wearing: Alliage by Estée Lauder

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    This is awful, Cook.bot. I have had the empty posting box now and then, but not consistently.

I am wondering if you have tried logging in on a different computer or device. It might give you some more clues. I find the site behaves better on my PC than my iPad.
    I only have one device to use, a Win10 laptop. But I decided to try using Chrome browser all day today to see if that helps. I've made four posts and gotten no glitches so far. Which is a shame, because I dislike Chrome and love Firefox. And I really hope Firefox isn't the problem.

Basenotes Plus

I really hope Firefox isn't the problem.
    It might be. At work, there are certain applications that I have to run on Chrome, others on Firefox. It's confusing!
    Currently wearing: Alliage by Estée Lauder

Now I can't update Private Notes for a fragrance. I get a white screen, blank but for the single word : fail.

Still getting blank text boxes. I can sometimes post pics and add bold type if I Edit Post afterwards.
    Still having login issues.

I am being made to identify buses, fire hydrants and hills in order to edit my posts.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I am being made to identify buses, fire hydrants and hills in order to edit my posts.
    Me too, and sometimes to send a PM as well. This is true whether using Chrome or Firefox.

I switched to Chrome browser for several days and had NONE of the prior posting problems I experienced with Firefox. I switched back to Firefox for a few days and all the same problems were still evident: no toolbars in posting windows, periodic logouts, inability to use "advanced" window when posting and therefore unable to add images.