Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
o

Default Re: Aramis Special Blend (2019)

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    Alas I haven't seen this available in the US at all...
    I got mine via Lord & Taylor. Macy's also carries it, but at higher retail.

I don't think there are any testers being issued, though.

Damn, I posted this in the wrong thread but I'll go ahead and say it here.....my local Macy's didn't carry it. Was about two months ago. All they had was the regular Aramis and Tuscany.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Explorer by Montblanc

It's stocked online.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    It's stocked online.
    How long you reckon before it's gone from retail and prices start to go up?
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Explorer by Montblanc

Blog Entries

This has been on Australian shelves for a few weeks and I have had a full wearing. Its nice, well composed as expected for an Aramis, quite woody and spicy in the first couple of hours, lots of texture, and settles on a soft sandalwood base. I don’t get a great deal of booziness but then again my benchmark is Baraonda. It is certainly not mass appealing, unlikely to get compliments and probably too full-on for the office but might be a personality match for some people. Not sure where I would wear this, but I will keep an eye out for it at the discounters.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    How long you reckon before it's gone from retail and prices start to go up?
    No clue. Maybe it'll make its way to discounters. I can't imagine that it's a hot seller.

All I knew is that I didn't wanna risk missing out on it, so I did what I usually don't do and paid retail.

I saw a large bottle of Aramis but with a embossed gold label that said "Aramis," and nothing else, and it had an integrated sprayer, no cap. I though they redesigned the bottle for the EdT but I'm guessing it's this one. I'm not to into whiskey scents but that bottle...very opulent.

Original Aramis and Tobacco Reserve are pretty solid in my opinion. I want to try this one out.

Basenotes Plus

I just bought a bottle blind
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Black Orchid by Tom Ford

I really like Modern Leather and Tobacco Reserve so I would assume this one is good too. Bought both blind btw.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

I like that Aramis is releasing their frags as EdP's. Is this a trend? I hope so.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

To me it's a special blend of cinnamon, whiskey and tonka bean. Its creamy character makes it gourmand or at least potable as a winter nog of sorts. It has good longevity and radiance. Fairly unique smelling. Since I'm on a bit of an Aramis discovery or re-discovery roll, I probably will buy it before Noël 2019.

I was more than happy to take the plunge since I'm a big fan of the house.

I just can't stress enough that Aramis Special Reserve is a fragrance for those with "vintage" tastes. Which, so it happens, is a big chunk of Basenoters, but there are plenty of folks here who live in fear of alleged "old man" fragrances.

This is a late 80s/early 90s fragrance that somehow emerged as though it was kept in a time capsule. Aramis Special Reserve is sophisticated in construction, with a killer masculine drydown. I'm really curious to find out which perfumer was behind this.

For those who are curious, performance is good. This isn't a loud fragrance, but it has presence, and sticks around on the skin.
    Would love to try this. Tobacco Reserve also on the way. Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by renperd View Post
    To me it's a special blend of cinnamon, whiskey and tonka bean. Its creamy character makes it gourmand or at least potable as a winter nog of sorts. It has good longevity and radiance. Fairly unique smelling. Since I'm on a bit of an Aramis discovery or re-discovery roll, I probably will buy it before Noël 2019.
    For me, the heavy wood notes give it an outdoorsy quality that keeps it from going truly gourmand. But the very late drydown is definitely a cinnamon-spiced warm sweetness.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Basenotes Plus

Mine arrived, to my job (and I'm off work for the holidays) so I'll test this one later in the week.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Mine arrived, to my job (and I'm off work for the holidays) so I'll test this one later in the week.
    I look forward to your reaction.

Sniffed it on paper yesterday at the mall. First reaction is that it’s heavy on whiskey notes. I generally like boozy scents, but I’m not too keen on going around smelling like I spilled whiskey on me. Not a flattering effect for office wear. The traffic cop who pulled you over probably wouldn’t be too impressed with that aroma either. I’ll give it another try, nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Sniffed it on paper yesterday at the mall. First reaction is that it’s heavy on whiskey notes. I generally like boozy scents, but I’m not too keen on going around smelling like I spilled whiskey on me. Not a flattering effect for office wear. The traffic cop who pulled you over probably wouldn’t be too impressed with that aroma either. I’ll give it another try, nonetheless.
    There's a stage where it does smell that way (I think I described it like whiskey that had been spilled on wood bark), but it doesn't smell like that for the entire lifetime of the fragrance.

Basenotes Plus

I've worn it twice already.

I always liked the original Aramis but I've never worn it since being a teen (I used to own the Aramis Bath Salts - they're awesome!). So I am very familiar with the Aramis DNA and I think I remember reading here on BN (when I joined) how the original Aramis has a gardenia note in it, that surprised me a lot because of course once I read that then I could completely detect a whiff of it.

The Aramis Special Blend is woody (but not ambery-woody - thank God!) and yes has that barrel-aged-tang and savory smell that's all the rage now in men's cosmetics / fragrances / skin care (boozy scented beard balms!) etc. But the perfumer uses it deftly and in a nice easy-to-handle dose. It compliments the wood notes, upon spraying, very well and eases very gently into the original Aramis accord that we all know and love. Later when it dries down is when the vanilla-ish tonka becomes more apparent and it gets a bit woody/gourmand. It isn't creamy. It's not powdery. I like that.

I got 2 compliments - each time that I wore it. So, I guess it 'works' for my skin.

Let's see how much I reach for this one, as winter progresses. If I find I don't wear it all that much it should be easy to sell my bottle.

Sillage is average. Longevity is slightly above average.

Anyone know who the perfumer is for this?

-- Eckhart Tolle

Anyone know who the perfumer is for this?
    I haven't been able to find that information.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's Fléchier.

Basenotes Plus

I mean I've never smelled an Aramis flanker until now. There are so many of them (+30) that I just sort of assumed that Lauder was using the name as a cash-cow and the scents sort of sucked. But this one is very well done. I'm impressed. You can still find 'very good' designer fragrances.

-- Eckhart Tolle

I mean I've never smelled an Aramis flanker until now. There are so many of them (+30) that I just sort of assumed that Lauder was using the name as a cash-cow and the scents sort of sucked. But this one is very well done. I'm impressed. You can still find 'very good' designer fragrances.
    Oh, there's plenty of interesting stuff buried in the lineups of Lauder brands. Folks here just don't seek it out because you have to sift through some junk to find it. (The M.A.C. Shadescents line, for instance, included what was seemingly a prototype of what would become Tom Ford Noir Anthracite; it's called My Heroine, and it's even wilder and stankier than Noir Anthracite.)

Aramis definitely had an extended dry spell, but seems to have turned things around. Both Tobacco Reserve (2018) and Special Blend (2019) are worthy of acclaim, finding clever ways to unite classic styles with contemporary trends. I'm glad you enjoyed Special Blend (you describe it well in your take above).

Basenotes Plus

Oh, there's plenty of interesting stuff buried in the lineups of Lauder brands. Folks here just don't seek it out because you have to sift through some junk to find it. (The M.A.C. Shadescents line, for instance, included what was seemingly a prototype of what would become Tom Ford Noir Anthracite; it's called My Heroine, and it's even wilder and stankier than Noir Anthracite.)

Aramis definitely had an extended dry spell, but seems to have turned things around. Both Tobacco Reserve (2018) and Special Blend (2019) are worthy of acclaim, finding clever ways to unite classic styles with contemporary trends. I'm glad you enjoyed Special Blend (you describe it well in your take above).
    I'm familiar w My Heroine and agree with you that it's very well done.

I think when it comes to the 'big guys' Lauder keeps it real. I love most of their stuff even (most of) the Tom Ford stuff.

-- Eckhart Tolle