I didn't know this existed!

ARAMIS-Special-Blend-60ml-22548413586.jpg

Top Notes
    Clary sage, Bergamot, Cinnamon bark

Heart Notes
    Whiskey, Nagarmotha

Base notes
    Virginia cedarwood, Cashmeran, Ambertonic, Tonka bean

Looks like Lord & Taylor is carrying it.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Hommage à L'Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men (vintage), Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite

Default Re: Aramis Special Blend (2019)

Nice, first I’m hearing of this wonder what it smells like!
    Fragrance is my favorite thing. So much so that if I leave the house and I don't put any on, I'll turn around and go back home.

First I've heard of this as well, will have to try it when I see it.
    Currently wearing: Beach Hut Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    Nice, first I’m hearing of this wonder what it smells like!
    The press release puts a lot of emphasis on the whiskey note, so I'm guessing it's fairly boozy.

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Hommage à L'Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men (vintage), Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite

Escentual describes it this way:

A little different, the Eau still possesses the same spicy warmth as the original, but has an added richness thanks to the generous shot of whiskey. The iconic packaging pays homage to the Aramis Classic, updated with the two toned gold plaque, which echoes the extra intensity of the fragrance inside. They haven’t overlooked any details with this flacon, including the amber juice that mimics the colour of the signature note, whiskey.

As it settles on the skin, Special Blend starts to get creamier, and a touch of sweetness gives the scent a moreish quality. Even though cinnamon is listed as top note, we detect a whiff of the sweet spice at every level.

Autumn Favorites

Cool Re: Aramis Special Blend (2019)

Not sure about the cinnamon note. It sometimes works but mostly doesn't work for me.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Looks like Aramis translated to fougère.
    oh look, I have a signature

Quite curious to test it.
    Currently wearing: Lui by Mazzolari

I can't find a cited perfumer. I'm curious if Edouard Fléchier did it as a follow-up to the commendable Tobacco Reserve.

Autumn Favorites

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

What is Ambertonic ?!

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    What is Ambertonic ?!
    I thought that it was just a silly way of saying "boozy amber," but it's a registered aromachemical:

https://www.fragrantica.com/notes/Am...c-IFF-837.html

Of the fragrances listed for it, I've only tried Sydney Rock Pool (which is great).

Autumn Favorites

Hmmmm...have to try this! Really liking the Tobacco reserve

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'll certainly try this. looks like it's almost guaranteed to have some kind of character even if I really dislike it.
    very much doubt it can be just another generic designer release.

I'll try it out because I love the original, but I think this sounds like a late attempt to jump on the Spicebomb train. We'll see.
    Currently wearing: Devin by Aramis

Quote Originally Posted by Democritus View Post
    I'll certainly try this. looks like it's almost guaranteed to have some kind of character even if I really dislike it.
    I would hope so. I want them to continue building momentum after 2018's Tobacco Reserve, which came in late to the "tobacco fragrance" trend, but was still pretty darn distinctive and (appealingly, in my opinion) old-school.

Escentual suggests the fragrance is really about whiskey more than anything else, which is fine by me since I like boozy notes.

Autumn Favorites

Okay, Special Blend is not at all what I expected.

Anyone who speculated that this was an attempt to cash in on contemporary trends (justifiably, given the note list had me expecting another sweet woodyamber) was off the mark, because this is a true oddity, even more than Tobacco Reserve was. If you had me try this blind and told me this had come out in the early 90s, I'd have believed you, at least on first sniff.

For all the talk of whiskey, it's very far from the territory occupied by a lot of contemporary "boozy" fragrances. Whiskey is undeniably the fragrance's throughline, but it's not particularly sweet, so Special Reserve have much of a gourmand feel. Special Blend is airy (a bit aldehydic) and intensely woody with spicy-herbal accents. Special Reserve reads very natural to my nose, almost more artisanal than designer-y in texture. It gets better as it develops on skin, becoming super-woody in a smells-like-tree-bark-and-whiskey way before a mellow sweetness emerges.

I like this a lot. I don't want to overhype this so I'll keep my praise restrained, and I think it's likely to be polarizing, but I'm honestly kinda floored that this could be released in the designer space in 2019.

Autumn Favorites

That's good to hear. Sounds promising. Did you get a good deal? Pay retail? 'Cause, for even as good as it may be, I am hoping to see it at discounters by the end of the calendar year.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    That's good to hear. Sounds promising. Did you get a good deal? Pay retail? 'Cause, for even as good as it may be, I am hoping to see it at discounters by the end of the calendar year.
    I paid retail (via a gift card). It only came out weeks ago so sale prices aren't abundant. It's supposedly a "limited edition" so we'll see if it makes it to discounters as fast as Tobacco Reserve did.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a more than fair purchase at flat retail (roughly $0.80 / ml). I'd be willing to pay more for something of this quality.

Special Reserve is a less "likable" scent than Tobacco Reserve, but it's a much more interesting one (on all levels).

Autumn Favorites

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Okay, Special Blend is not at all what I expected.

Anyone who speculated that this was an attempt to cash in on contemporary trends (justifiably, given the note list had me expecting another sweet woodyamber) was off the mark, because this is a true oddity, even more than Tobacco Reserve was. If you had me try this blind and told me this had come out in the early 90s, I'd have believed you, at least on first sniff.

For all the talk of whiskey, it's very far from the territory occupied by a lot of contemporary "boozy" fragrances. Whiskey is undeniably the fragrance's throughline, but it's not particularly sweet, so Special Reserve have much of a gourmand feel. Special Blend is airy (a bit aldehydic) and intensely woody with spicy-herbal accents. Special Reserve reads very natural to my nose, almost more artisanal than designer-y in texture. It gets better as it develops on skin, becoming super-woody in a smells-like-tree-bark-and-whiskey way before a mellow sweetness emerges.

I like this a lot. I don't want to overhype this so I'll keep my praise restrained, and I think it's likely to be polarizing, but I'm honestly kinda floored that this could be released in the designer space in 2019.
    Sounds encouraging. Thanks .

I was more than happy to take the plunge since I'm a big fan of the house.

I just can't stress enough that Aramis Special Reserve is a fragrance for those with "vintage" tastes. Which, so it happens, is a big chunk of Basenoters, but there are plenty of folks here who live in fear of alleged "old man" fragrances.

This is a late 80s/early 90s fragrance that somehow emerged as though it was kept in a time capsule. Aramis Special Reserve is sophisticated in construction, with a killer masculine drydown. I'm really curious to find out which perfumer was behind this.

For those who are curious, performance is good. This isn't a loud fragrance, but it has presence, and sticks around on the skin.

Autumn Favorites

Do you have anything to compare it to?
    Do you mind telling us where you got it?

Do you have anything to compare it to?
    Do you mind telling us where you got it?
    I got it from Lord & Taylor.

Anything I cited as being similar to Special Blend would be misleading. There's stuff here that reminds me of other fragrances I've tried, but just nuances; I haven't quite encountered anything with this general character. I'm sure something like it exists--there are a lot of fragrances out there in the world--but it's still an oddity in the scheme of things.

Whiskey is a more contemporary note to build a fragrance around, but the overall feeling of this composition is decidedly vintage, as though this was a very intentional attempt to create something that could legitimately belong alongside the original Aramis.

Autumn Favorites

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Sounds like a winner.
    oh look, I have a signature

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Sounds like a winner.
    I think that this would appeal to you. You seem to have a taste for oddities.

Autumn Favorites

I got it from Lord & Taylor.

Anything I cited as being similar to Special Blend would be misleading. There's stuff here that reminds me of other fragrances I've tried, but just nuances; I haven't quite encountered anything with this general character. I'm sure something like it exists--there are a lot of fragrances out there in the world--but it's still an oddity in the scheme of things.

Whiskey is a more contemporary note to build a fragrance around, but the overall feeling of this composition is decidedly vintage, as though this was a very intentional attempt to create something that could legitimately belong alongside the original Aramis.
    I like the original Aramis though I find it difficult to wear. Very strong and almost something too abrasive about it. Makes me wonder what it smelled like in a more vintage formulation.....which is what has me curious about this new one.

I like the original Aramis though I find it difficult to wear. Very strong and almost something too abrasive about it. Makes me wonder what it smelled like in a more vintage formulation.....which is what has me curious about this new one.
    This isn't abrasive or "powerhouse'"-y like the original Aramis. This is doing its own thing. It just doesn't feel out of place on the shelf alongside the original.

Like I said before, any comparisons I make will probably be misleading.

Autumn Favorites

I don't want it just like Aramis Original, but something in that family sounds very appealing to me. Then again, it could be way way way off the map. haha

I don't want it just like Aramis Original, but something in that family sounds very appealing to me. Then again, it could be way way way off the map. haha
    Based on what we've talked about, I *think* you might like this.

I do hope Basenoters with affection for classic masculines will seek it out. This is one for the they-don't-make-'em-like-they-used-to crowd.

Autumn Favorites

Based on what we've talked about, I *think* you might like this.

I do hope Basenoters with affection for classic masculines will seek it out. This is one for the they-don't-make-'em-like-they-used-to crowd.
    I like classic masculines just not the ones that are floral to my nose.