Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default I want to like Memo but I canít

Iíve tried Winter Palace, African Leather and donít like them. Working through samples but I really just think I donít like this house.

What am I missing?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: I want to like Memo but I canít

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    I’ve tried Winter Palace, African Leather and don’t like them. Working through samples but I really just think I don’t like this house.

What am I missing?
    Nothing, as far as I can tell.

Overpriced masstige brand. Insane at retail but I would not even pay grey market for any that I've smelled.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des GarÁons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

I like a couple of them, but dont love love any of them. Italian leather im a fan of, i like the tomato leaf. Eau de Memo is nice too. Tiger's Nest is kind of a beast that reminds me of Interlude. Going to try that again once winter hits, it was too much for summer.
    Currently wearing: Nesma Attar by Amouage

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Nothing, as far as I can tell.

Overpriced masstige brand. Insane at retail but I would not even pay grey market for any that I've smelled.
    Amen. Prententious, too.

Plus there's some kind of "house base" that runs through al of them and smells like burning electrical wires to me.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Amen. Prententious, too.

Plus there's some kind of "house base" that runs through al of them and smells like burning electrical wires to me.
    You’re right. There is some house accord here and it ain’t guerlainade.

Basenotes Institution TNBLUEMIKE's Avatar

You’re right. There is some house accord here and it ain’t guerlainade.
    African Leather was so hyped that I bought it blind. It's OK but nothing to knock your socks off. Glad I bought it at a deep discount. Shams Oud I like.
    Last edited by TNBLUEMIKE; 27th August 2019 at 12:37 AM.

Nothing has grabbed me either. I do recall Moon Fever being good because it reminded me of MFK Amyris.
    Tom Ford Private Blend Splits HERE

So far, had very good experiences especially with Kedu, Moon Fever, Inle, Siwa, Luxor Oud, Shams, Lalibella, from this particular house.

Yet also having, at least sometimes, the difficulty to point out what exactly led to and yielded such good results, whether the notes/ingredients, their composition, their interaction with the skin and/or time of the day as well as occasion of wearing or a combination of all these, to different extents and in different proportions.
    Currently wearing: L'Occitan by L'Occitane

Basenotes Junkie ClockworkAlice's Avatar

I do like African Leather, Russian Leather, Oriental Leather and Winter Palace. Not crazy about them though, especially for these prices.
    It has nothing to do with the scents, but I also like their bottle designs quite a bit - they're nice to look at.

You are not missing anything. The house just doesn't work for you. I'm sure there are things that you like that someone else here dislikes.

Like any other house/fragrance, you either like it or you don't.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    So far, had very good experiences especially with Kedu, Moon Fever, Inle, Siwa, Luxor Oud, Shams, Lalibella, from this particular house.

Yet also having, at least sometimes, the difficulty to point out what exactly led to and yielded such good results, whether the notes/ingredients, their composition, their interaction with the skin and/or time of the day as well as occasion of wearing or a combination of all these, to different extents and in different proportions.
    I actually really liked Kedu, but i didnt get good performance at all from it. Such a shame.

Banned

I stopped by their Paris store recently, and tried a lot of them.

I found the leather series really well blended and luxurious feeling, but not unique. And at such price points, I require creativity, and uniqueness.
    In summary: good but not mindblowing, and for there are much more interesting frags around at that price point. I may rethink it when it hits discounters.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    I stopped by their Paris store recently, and tried a lot of them.

I found the leather series really well blended and luxurious feeling, but not unique. And at such price points, I require creativity, and uniqueness.
    In summary: good but not mindblowing, and for there are much more interesting frags around at that price point. I may rethink it when it hits discounters.
    FYI - many are on fragrancenet already

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

What am I missing?
    This is perhaps just not the house for you.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

....................................... Central PA
    Blog Entries

I enjoy some their stuff. Try it and then, let it go for a week or so - then, try it again. I would never buy a full bottle of any, of their offerings. I have quite a few decants. Grenada, is a fave of mine.

I've tried quite a few from the house and they were all a miss for me.
    As the same with Amouage.
    Currently wearing: Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus

I agree with the sentiment that this house just may not be for you. Personally I enjoyed Italian Leather and Eau de Memo (which is a leather that works great in my hot and humid climate). My wife really enjoyed them on me as well, but preferred Eau de Memo. Prices could surely be viewed as too high for what it is, by many. I see Eau de Memo is getting around $170usd on FragranceNet. If this fragrance were $100 or less, Iíd be more prone to recommend it. Currently Iíd say, $170 could be put towards something that blows you away... regardless of thinking itís good.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

I only have Shams Oud from this house. It was actually my first expensive (for me) bottle. While it doesn’t smell like the real Oud fragrances I’ve sampled, I do like it. To me, it smells like burning embers in a camp fire, but not necessarily smokey, if that makes sense.

I would like to try African Leather as well.

Like others have stated, this just may not be a house you enjoy, OP. That’s ok though, there’s plenty more out there that you may love.

Freed from BN Institution

I've yet to sample these on myself despite smelling them on paper in the store. I'm convinced that I may find a few that are nice but won't find anything bottle worthy. That has been the case for many modernized houses that I've had the luxury of trying.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    This is perhaps just not the house for you.
    A good probability of this being the case.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I’ve tried Winter Palace, African Leather and don’t like them. Working through samples but I really just think I don’t like this house.

What am I missing?
    You're not missing anything. If you didn't like those fragrances, they're just not for you. I do like both of those fragrances, but have found some of the other leathers underwhelming and one (Russian Leather) even revolting. It's just like any other fragrances. Some like them, others don't.

Owned Shams Oud (****)
    Currently wearing: Parfum du 68 by Guerlain

Blog Entries

African Leather is a good cardamom scent, worth a purchase given it’s performance. They got lucky with this one. Italian Leather works for me also. The rest of the range is forgettable or overly priced or both.

Presentation is poor: generic brown bottles with slide-on caps that don’t even click into place and a flimsy plaque glued to the front.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I noticed this rather unpleasant aspect too. That’s why none of them progresses beyond small decants. The pricetag is absurd considering the ‘quality’...
    ď...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.Ē - Robin Sharma

That's the beautiful thing about fragrances, like food, everyone has their own tastes. Some houses use a similar base across the board, which may put you off the entire range of that house.

Banned

I've only tried a few of their Leathers and I enjoyed them. I wouldn't say that you're missing anything -- just that the house is not to your liking. Nothing wrong with that!

Basenotes Plus

I guess it isn’t for me. I am not sure why. But it does seem that there is a common accord that I don’t enjoy, sadly.

Banned

I think that a lot of Basenoters have a distaste for other houses that are popular. I've heard that people do not like Tom Ford or by Kilian, for example. Unfortunate, but there is a vast world of fragrances for you to explore. As they say, there are plenty of fish in the sea.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    I think that a lot of Basenoters have a distaste for other houses that are popular. I've heard that people do not like Tom Ford or by Kilian, for example. Unfortunate, but there is a vast world of fragrances for you to explore. As they say, there are plenty of fish in the sea.
    Yes, this.

There are so many great houses today. And vintage. So many that are great. Never been a better time to enjoy this hobby. No need to worry if we don’t like one or another.