Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
o

Default Re: Worst Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Democritus View Post
    I'm not sure if you mean reputation or extremely poor product.
    I'd put Diesel up their with the worst of designers, at least Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein and even Lacoste made a few good scents.
    Have to give Creed a mention for their reputation as bullshitters and low value for money ratio, and probably Bond No. 9 too.
    Just reputation. For instance, a frag house could have some great scents but they've become old and/or dated and their reputation is (unfairly) judged. And others, yeah, have a bad reputation because their product just plain sucks.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Luna Rossa Carbon by Prada

I guess if we go with your definition of not popular at all I would say Caron Pour un Homme. While there are people who appreciate it here (there are also people who are able to appreciate the smell of vomit here as well, keep that in mind) I would say it has a bad reputation. Caron is a true niche fragrance brand, but the fact that most of its perfumes that are available today are so cheap makes people believe they are in fact bad fragrances. Nothing could be further from the truth. With Pour un Homme though its so simple that people do not take the time to appreciate it, and since it is not novel in this day and age or original it is thrown by the wayside. Even people who enjoy Caron express that perhaps Third Man is the better fragrance.

For me Pour un Homme is truly what I desire out of a fragrance: it does not run around and scream "I am trying to be sexy notice me!". It doesn't even scream that it is perfume. It sits on the skin as a second skin. It is something that someone could smell on your everyday and not realize that it wasn't just that you smell good in general it's that you're using perfume. It is confident and that confidence allows it to be understated. If we were to compare to women it is a woman with passion and self assurance rather than an insecure woman who wears provocative clothing because that is the only way she can compete with other women.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I have only tried a few of theirs but Beverly Hills Polo Club has to be at the top for me. It's such an obvious knockoff, trying to capitalize or trick people into thinking they're buying a RL Polo fragrance. No wonder it's the main shelf occupier at the discounters collecting dust.
    You make a good case here. I hate wading through the mountains of this stuff that are always at Marshall's. Even if one of them was actually good, I wouldn't know or buy because the intent is so obviously to deceive.

So I guess by extension, my main peeve is clone houses, and this is just the clone house with the most mainstream exposure.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    You make a good case here. I hate wading through the mountains of this stuff that are always at Marshall's. Even if one of them was actually good, I wouldn't know or buy because the intent is so obviously to deceive.

So I guess by extension, mine main peeve is clone houses, and this is just the clone house with the most mainstream exposure.
    I bought a Beverly Hills Polo Club soap once just to see what the house was like. It smelled like household cleaners and even had a mysterious manufacturing defect rising from the bar. Once that popped up, I threw it out and haven’t touched the brand since. Only one Redken soap from my usual salon was worse.

I’ve since standardized my shower routine on Taylor of Old Bond Street bath soaps, in particular Eton College and Sandalwood. They’re known more on Basenotes for shaving products, but their bath soaps are consistently great, fragrant, and non-drying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's really quite pleasant, except for the smell (...)
    -"Mama", My Chemical Romance

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CutSmut View Post
    I guess if we go with your definition of not popular at all I would say Caron Pour un Homme. While there are people who appreciate it here (there are also people who are able to appreciate the smell of vomit here as well, keep that in mind) I would say it has a bad reputation. Caron is a true niche fragrance brand, but the fact that most of its perfumes that are available today are so cheap makes people believe they are in fact bad fragrances. Nothing could be further from the truth. With Pour un Homme though its so simple that people do not take the time to appreciate it, and since it is not novel in this day and age or original it is thrown by the wayside. Even people who enjoy Caron express that perhaps Third Man is the better fragrance.

For me Pour un Homme is truly what I desire out of a fragrance: it does not run around and scream "I am trying to be sexy notice me!". It doesn't even scream that it is perfume. It sits on the skin as a second skin. It is something that someone could smell on your everyday and not realize that it wasn't just that you smell good in general it's that you're using perfume. It is confident and that confidence allows it to be understated. If we were to compare to women it is a woman with passion and self assurance rather than an insecure woman who wears provocative clothing because that is the only way she can compete with other women.
    This is an extremely keen observation and I agree; the simple and innocuous nature of Caron Pour Un Homme is just what guys wanted in 1934, and was a favorite of many notable people (including James Dean later on). English-style unisex lavender toilettes were the rage at the time, but this represents the first time that accord was beefened up with a fougère base and marketed directly to men, making it daring.

Now we have animalic stuff like Antaeus and chemical screamers like Sauvage, so Pour Un Homme gets derided for being so quaint and not very masculine by modern standards, ironically making it one of the best romantic understatements available for guys. I mean someone could always buy Tom Ford Lavender Extrême for ten times the price and get nearly the same effect, but that seems silly to me.
    oh look, I have a signature

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    dua
    I actually started a whole thread in the General section about this and their recent shenanigans. Needless to say, there arent any Dua fans on Basenotes.
    Currently Rotating:

*Creed Green Irish Tweed
    *YSL L'Homme Sport
    *Vikor&Rolf Spicebomb
    *Creed Viking
    *Creed Original Santal
    *Zoologist Squid
    *Imaginary Authors Yesterday Haze
    *Neandertal Black

Basenotes Junkie Andy the frenchy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Pretty dead on, but I'll supplement your list with reasons:

Clone Houses: Clear authenticity issues right out the gate. Plagiarism is inevitable in perfume like with music because so many ideas are referential or intertexual within a genre/style, but willful impersonation of a successful product is tacky. No, "inspired by" doesn't get you off the hook.

Celebrity Fragrances: In the beginning these were seen more as an extension of bespoke fragrance; a celebrity commissioning a scent to use then wanting it marketed for their fans to enjoy, then it became cynical when celebrities started seeing it as "brand opportunity" outside their fields.

Automobile Fragrances: Unlike celebrity fragrances, these never had the benefit of the doubt as "example of celebrity X's taste in perfume", and were always seen as a brand cachet money grab, although a few exceptional fragrances have born automotive names here and there.

Lower Tier Designer Fragrances: This one I am at odds with, as it mostly seems like an example of class/price snobbery within the realm of Basenoters. Yeah, a limited budget makes it harder to make a great perfume, but there are so many undisputed classics at this pricepoint too.

Older Brands bought by conglomerates and reformulated to death: Another one I'm at odds with because it's not that cut-and-dry. Some of it is true, and brands do get sent downmarket as their audience ages and brand value fades, while some of it is dealing with regulations or untenable ingredient sources (i.e. real Mysore or frankincense depletion), although both the "bought by conglomerates" part and the "reformulated to death" part also affects current designer and niche brands too. The FOMO madness affects the entire spectrum of perfume fans, which is why scalpers exist.

I'll also add:

Axe/Tag/Lynx/Bod/Calgon/Bath & Body Works/The Body Shop/etc. Most of us here past a certain point don't see aerosols or body mists as "real fragrance" anymore, in the same way connoisseurs of fine spirits won't accept anything in a plastic bottle. I can see both sides of this argument.

Drugstore Fragrances: The idea that perfume deliberately made with a sense of economy or accessibility in mind feels wrong to the "perfume is luxury" crowd, and I get it. However, maybe those days are past us with the current widening economic divide and all that, but there was a time when fragrance was seen as a finishing touch to good grooming/fashion sense, and interest in making it as available as toothpaste existed.
    I'm going to make you lie ZC:
    - clone house: Nabeel Macho Man is better than TL imo (better projection, exact identical scent). Priced at $6 vs $300
    - automobile brands: Bentley for Men Absolute, by Michel Almairac himself (A derived version of GPH1, by the same nose) and the pleasant Ferrari Uomo by Alberto Morillas
    - celebrity frags: the great Salvador Dali for Men, by Thierry Wasser, and the interesting Pharrell Williams Girl, by Antoine Lie.

I don't care about packaging, only the juice counts, and the same identical noses make the cheap frags or the niche frags!
    That said, I'd agree that my examples are more exceptions than a general rule.

Two brands pop-up when I think bad:

- Hugo Boss
    - Byredo (not bad per se, but really really really overpriced for what it is)

I like Hugo Boss but they all have longevity issues. Reputation, though, is bad!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    I'm going to make you lie ZC:
    - clone house: Nabeel Macho Man is better than TL imo (better projection, exact identical scent). Priced at $6 vs $300
    - automobile brands: Bentley for Men Absolute, by Michel Almairac himself (A derived version of GPH1, by the same nose) and the pleasant Ferrari Uomo by Alberto Morillas
    - celebrity frags: the great Salvador Dali for Men, by Thierry Wasser, and the interesting Pharrell Williams Girl, by Antoine Lie.

I don't care about packaging, only the juice counts, and the same identical noses make the cheap frags or the niche frags!
    That said, I'd agree that my examples are more exceptions than a general rule.
    You didn't read my entire post, or you would have caught the following:

Celebrity fragrances: "In the beginning these were seen more as an extension of bespoke fragrance; a celebrity commissioning a scent to use then wanting it marketed for their fans to enjoy" - and this covers early celeb marvels like Pavoratti and Elizabeth Taylor stuff. Salvador Dali specifically had an interest in being creative director of his own perfume house, since he dabbled in music, film, and photography. Unfortunately, he succumbed to grief over his late wife and died before he could learn the trade. He was already late in life. His children run the house now as a "celebrity brand".

Automobile Fragrances: "...although a few exceptional fragrances have born automotive names here and there." as is proven by the existence of some nice selections from Bugatti, Jaguar, Bentley, Lamborghini, and Ferrari as you have stated. I don't think I need to elaborate further.

In general, there are always exceptions to everything, without fail. I never speak in absolutes, and in so quoting my own text, have proven that you did not make a liar out of me at all, you just misunderstood part of my rather lengthy opinion. Apologies for any confusion. I typically only proofread the reviews. All this stuff here in the forum is off the cuff.
    oh look, I have a signature

Here's another curveball...with celebrity scents being a bad reputation item, does the celebrity also gain a bad reputation if they put out a bad fragrance?

Here's another curveball...with celebrity scents being a bad reputation item, does the celebrity also gain a bad reputation if they put out a bad fragrance?
    Not generally. A-List celebs usually endorse a fragrance (i.e. Johnny Depp for Sauvage) rather than have their own brand on it, so it doesn't really effect the B-Listers and below.
    Currently Rotating:

*Creed Green Irish Tweed
    *YSL L'Homme Sport
    *Vikor&Rolf Spicebomb
    *Creed Viking
    *Creed Original Santal
    *Zoologist Squid
    *Imaginary Authors Yesterday Haze
    *Neandertal Black

Jo malone

Quote Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
    Not generally. A-List celebs usually endorse a fragrance (i.e. Johnny Depp for Sauvage) rather than have their own brand on it, so it doesn't really effect the B-Listers and below.
    Endorsements aren't bad but sometimes a bad fragrance named after a celeb, maybe it's so far under the radar and forgettable that it doesn't tarnish anyone's reputation.

I like Hugo Boss but they all have longevity issues. Reputation, though, is bad!
    Except for their high-end line (The Collection), I haven't tried a frag that I liked, and Boss has been one of the few exceptions in which I felt that a frag was really badly blended: that was Boss Bottled Oud. (at the opposite, Damask Oud is a hidden gem imo, especially at discounter prices)
    I'm not hiding that I'm also not a fan of this house because of their past history... but that's not related to frags.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    Except for their high-end line (The Collection), I haven't tried a frag that I liked, and Boss has been one of the few exceptions in which I felt that a frag was really badly blended: that was Boss Bottled Oud. (at the opposite, Damask Oud is a hidden gem imo, especially at discounter prices)
    I'm not hiding that I'm also not a fan of this house because of their past history... but that's not related to frags.
    I'd say it's related, I mean it's the history of a company that makes a fragrance. I hear they have gone to lengths to remove themselves from the past association and make certain reparations if you will, but I do not know at what length.

"I'm simply talking about the stuff that just isn't made well, is cheap, cuts corners, just plain isn't popular at all."

Based on the above quote. Versace comes to my mind. Just seems like a brand that doesn't treat its fragrances as a priority.
    Last edited by ION-ONE; 28th August 2019 at 11:21 PM.

Possibly also, apart from all the good examples mentioned, to a certain extent the lower tier end of classic barbershop style scents as well:

although personally liking brands like Old Spice, Aqua Velva, (German rather than Swiss) Pitralon, Proraso, Hattrick, Floid etc. very much, they seem to not reach a certain popularity among the fragrance community, perhaps in part also due to the fact that many of these were simply to commonplace, bestselling and/or predictable among past generations of male wearers
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 29th August 2019 at 06:35 PM.
    Currently wearing: Ispahan by Yves Rocher

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Possibly also, apart from all the good examples mentioned, to a certain extent the lower tier end of classic barbershop style scents as well:

although personally liking brands like Old Spice, Aqua Velva, (German rather than Swiss) Pitralon, Proraso, Hattrick, Floid etc. very much, they seem to not reach a certain popularity among the fragrance community, perhaps in part also due to the fact that many of these were simply to commonplace, bestselling and/or predictable among past generations of male wearers
    Yeah, they get a bad reputation to a certain crowd. I know many people hate them and think they smell cheap. I love all of them, though I must admit nostalgia plays a big role in that.